• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black man in Ohio trying to cash paycheck is handcuffed after bank teller calls 911

At the time the cops were called the check had not been verified. The bank tried to call the employer and was unable to verify the check.

Nor was it proven fraudulent! My god, I don't know if this post is deliberately obtuse or willfully ignorant. You appear to be saying "it's okay if an innocent person is hauled off to jail without any evidence of guilt".

I can only counter that with an open-mouthed stare, and then move on.

At the time the cops were called the check had not been verified. The bank tried to call the employer and was unable to verify the check.

And here we are, living in denial. Pretending black people are treated the same. Like privilege is a myth.

Spare me the hedge work.

And here we are, living in denial. Pretending black people are treated the same. Like privilege is a myth.

Spare me the hedge work.

Looking for racism that doesn't existce is the past time that soft science sociologists partake in. There is nothing to indicate skin colour was a factor in how this was handeled.

Looking for racism that doesn't existce is the past time that soft science sociologists partake in. There is nothing to indicate skin colour was a factor in how this was handeled.

"It's never racism".

Yeah, we get it.

Nor was it proven fraudulent! My god, I don't know if this post is deliberately obtuse or willfully ignorant. You appear to be saying "it's okay if an innocent person is hauled off to jail without any evidence of guilt".
I can only counter that with an open-mouthed stare, and then move on.

I appear to be saying there was nothing wrong in calling the police to investigate a potential fraudulent check. Because that's what I'm saying. The only willful ignorance is suggesting that is the same as hailing someone to jail.

"It's never racism".

Yeah, we get it.

If you think that's what I'm saying then you don't get It. Your trying to imply something I never said as usual.

If you think that's what I'm saying then you don't get It. Your trying to imply something I never said as usual.

I dunno why. I only know what.

I dunno why. I only know what.

Good then you know what I said was not it's never racisim. That was something you made up usual.

Good then you know what I said was not it's never racisim. That was something you made up usual.

It's just never racism in a thread here. Or when anyone does something, or says something.

It's just never racism in a thread here. Or when anyone does something, or says something.

do you know the race of the person who called the police?

Ok then stop accusing me of saying things I didn't say and stop directing your General observations at a particular poster

Ok then stop accusing me of saying things I didn't say and stop directing your General observations at a particular poster

I said we'd see next "starbucks thread". We did. I'm satisfied.

Not necessarily relevant. But you can't imagine that, right?

Oh I certainly can imagine that a black teller might find a black person more likely to have a fraudulent check than a white customer. Its why one of the offices that I worked out of loved having a Black magistrate doing arraignments when they had arrested black gangbangers-that MJ was far more likely to demand a high bond or remand than white MJs. We can speculate why but when he retired, I asked him and he noted that he didn't want "those scumbags" running loose "in his neighborhood". You might also find it interesting that when the office had a fraud case involving Jewish defendants, the best trial judge to get was the Jewish District Judge.

McCowns was leaving, without having gotten his check cashed, when he was approached by police, told to get out of his car, handcuffed and put in the back of a police cruiser.

It turns out that as he was on his way out, a bank employee had called 911.

“He’s trying to cash a check and the check is fraudulent. It does not match our records," the employee is heard telling the 911 operator in the recording obtained by NBC News.

“Does he know you called 9-1-1?” the operator asked.

The employee responded: “No.”

The police report said officers were able to get in touch with McCowns' employer who confirmed that his check was real.

The next day, McCowns cashed the check at another Huntington branch, the bank said.

A spokesman for Huntington Bank told NBC News on Wednesday that it sincerely apologizes to McCowns for "this extremely unfortunate event."

So a mistake was made by the bank. Nothing to do with race.... The police dept did their job as they should. A truly nothing story.
The bank made a mistake and they sincerely apologized for that mistake.

Somehow I imagine that if I had been in the same situation, I would not have been reported, nor handcuffed. Somehow I imagine the bank would not have made such a mistake.

Somehow I imagine that if I had been in the same situation, I would not have been reported, nor handcuffed. Somehow I imagine the bank would not have made such a mistake.

you're probably right-just as if you are walking down the street, lit only by streetlights -I doubt another woman would cross the street rather than pass next to you

Michael Flynn was right behind him cashing a check from Turkey.

you're probably right-just as if you are walking down the street, lit only by streetlights -I doubt another woman would cross the street rather than pass next to you

True. So why do you assume the bank teller called 911? Are you suggesting racial profiling is A-OK in the business world? The man supplied his ID and his fingerprints. What more was necessary?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...paycheck-handcuffed-after-bank-teller-n949986

The bank teller wrongly believed the man's paycheck was fraudulent. Reports of the incident have sparked a new hashtag, #BankingWhileBlack.

An Ohio man trying to cash his paycheck from a new job was handcuffed and put in the back of a police car after a bank teller called 911 on the false belief the check was fraudulent.

Now the bank is apologizing as reports of the incident have sparked a new hashtag, #BankingWhileBlack.
===========================================
#BankingWhileBlack - in Ohio. I think this might merit a lawsuit. Open discrimination in a 'northern' state.

REAL WORLD: Ohio man handcuffed in banking mishap.

GENERAL LIBERAL MEDIA: BLACK man in Ohio handcuffed in banking mishap.

KLAN GAZETTE: Another nigga tries to pass a bad welfare check.

SAN FRANCISCO NEWS: Poor BLACK minority brutalized, handcuffed and spat upon by "The Man" for trying to support his family.

(mic drop)

It is all about who is telling the story.

Last edited:
True. So why do you assume the bank teller called 911? Are you suggesting racial profiling is A-OK in the business world? The man supplied his ID and his fingerprints. What more was necessary?

uh you seem to think I am defending the action-who would have called the cops from the bank? a teller? a supervisor? I have no idea. I don't think its OK, but I think it happens. Just like it happens when women of all colors are more likely to cross a street in the evening in Downtown Cincinnati to avoid passing next to a young black male than say a 59 year old white guy like me or my wife or a young black female. Is that profiling? of course it is. Is it "racist"? or is it based on a past experience? As you may remember, since you appear to be well read, Dinesh D'zousa (sp) wrote a book about racism and argued that some of that profiling had factual basis-for example, black cabbies in NYC were less likely to pick up young black males than they were to pick up say young white males. when I was 25 I had long hair and a beard. I was in NYC a bunch of times-playing pro squash tournaments. I used to wear a surplus M65 military field jacket. One of my cop friends said I looked like a Narc or a mercenary. I never had a problem getting a cab. I saw, several times, black cab drivers pass black males and pick me up. Now I didn't look like someone with lots of money. Go figure. were those drivers "racist" or had they had bad experiences with young black males?

uh you seem to think I am defending the action-who would have called the cops from the bank? a teller? a supervisor? I have no idea. I don't think its OK, but I think it happens. Just like it happens when women of all colors are more likely to cross a street in the evening in Downtown Cincinnati to avoid passing next to a young black male than say a 59 year old white guy like me or my wife or a young black female. Is that profiling? of course it is. Is it "racist"? or is it based on a past experience? As you may remember, since you appear to be well read, Dinesh D'zousa (sp) wrote a book about racism and argued that some of that profiling had factual basis-for example, black cabbies in NYC were less likely to pick up young black males than they were to pick up say young white males. when I was 25 I had long hair and a beard. I was in NYC a bunch of times-playing pro squash tournaments. I used to wear a surplus M65 military field jacket. One of my cop friends said I looked like a Narc or a mercenary. I never had a problem getting a cab. I saw, several times, black cab drivers pass black males and pick me up. Now I didn't look like someone with lots of money. Go figure. were those drivers "racist" or had they had bad experiences with young black males?

I believe the report said the teller made the 911 call. And I do recognize that people often react in fear of young black males. Is this racist? Hard to say, but obviously a result of cultural misunderstanding and intimidation (for lack of a better word). This profiling is something we should seek to overcome and not just accept.

Please excuse me, but I have no use for Dinesh D'zousa, having experience with him at earlier stages of his life, and he is to be totally disregarded IMO. He is a twisted man.

I had a very close friend who was a cabbie in NYC in the 70's and early 80's, when things were at their worst due to bad economy. He did fear for his safety, and chose to work the gay bar community, which at the time was another segment of the population that was feared by many.

Times change, sometimes more slowly than we would like. I hope these incidents gain some exposure, and help some people recognize the unfairness.

I believe the report said the teller made the 911 call. And I do recognize that people often react in fear of young black males. Is this racist? Hard to say, but obviously a result of cultural misunderstanding and intimidation (for lack of a better word). This profiling is something we should seek to overcome and not just accept.

Please excuse me, but I have no use for Dinesh D'zousa, having experience with him at earlier stages of his life, and he is to be totally disregarded IMO. He is a twisted man.

I had a very close friend who was a cabbie in NYC in the 70's and early 80's, when things were at their worst due to bad economy. He did fear for his safety, and chose to work the gay bar community, which at the time was another segment of the population that was feared by many.

Times change, sometimes more slowly than we would like. I hope these incidents gain some exposure, and help some people recognize the unfairness.

I'd be curious your interaction with D2. that would be an interesting read. But I don't believe cabbies were racist-but rather aware of reality-I believe at the time he wrote that book, almost every cabbie killed or shot in NYC that year was by a young black male

Why is this a story and why the new hashtag based on race?

Oh, that's right...anything done that can possibly be viewed as negative just because a black person happened to be involved MUST be because of race and racism...right? Pretty sure that the only ones that use the word "racist" or any of its other various spellings now a days are SJW's that think the word still has the same "punch" that it used to. Hate to break it to them but its been used inappropriately so much over the last 10 years that it has about as much bite to it as saying "hello".

As a matter of fact I have had a similar incident. About 13 years ago I was running low on cash flow and asked my mom if she could help me out with my car payment. I was a month behind already and my next payment was coming due. The car was worth more than I owed so I certainly didn't want it repossessed. My mom was nice enough to write a check for about 550$ to cover the two months worth of car payments. I assumed she wrote the check out to me to cash so I could put it in my bank to cover the payments. However, she actually made the check out directly to Toyota and I didn't bother to really look at it closely because I had a job interview and my mind was elsewhere. Prior to my Job interview I went by my moms bank, signed the back of the check, put my driver's license in the tube and asked her to give me cash for it. She took an inordinate amount of time to process the transaction. Suddenly 2 police cruisers screamed into the parking lot, blocked off my vehicle and had me get out of my vehicle at gunpoint. They made me lay down in my suit and tie on a greasy parking lot and place my hands behind my head. They then approached me and a big monkey of a cop put his knee on the the back of my head and neck and smashed my face into the asphalt as another about twisted my arm off handcuffing my hands behind my back. All while demanding I stay still. How are you supposed to stay still with one guy crushing your skull and neck while another is twisting your arm off. I ended up having a dislocated shoulder. Scrapes all over my face. My neck and head hurt for a week. The paramedic reset my shoulder on the scene. I can't even begin to describe the pain of a dislocated shoulder. They called my mom to inform her someone with her same last name had tried to cash a check on her account. She came down to the bank and cleared up the misunderstanding. I chose not to go to the hospital. I just got cleaned up as best I could and went to the interview limp arm, greasy clothes and all.

By the way, I'm Caucasian. So we don't necessarily know this was a case of racism. Stories such as these are designed to inflame certain demographics in an attempt to motivate them politically. I would be willing to bet there was something other than his race which led her to believe the check was fraudulent. I'd wait to pass judgement until it is investigated to see if there was more to it.

Last edited:
McCowns was leaving, without having gotten his check cashed, when he was approached by police, told to get out of his car, handcuffed and put in the back of a police cruiser.

It turns out that as he was on his way out, a bank employee had called 911.

“He’s trying to cash a check and the check is fraudulent. It does not match our records," the employee is heard telling the 911 operator in the recording obtained by NBC News.

“Does he know you called 9-1-1?” the operator asked.

The employee responded: “No.”

The police report said officers were able to get in touch with McCowns' employer who confirmed that his check was real.

The next day, McCowns cashed the check at another Huntington branch, the bank said.

A spokesman for Huntington Bank told NBC News on Wednesday that it sincerely apologizes to McCowns for "this extremely unfortunate event."

So a mistake was made by the bank. Nothing to do with race.... The police dept did their job as they should. A truly nothing story.
The bank made a mistake and they sincerely apologized for that mistake.

Would the bank teller have called 911 if the customer was WHITE? I don't think so.

This is yet ANOTHER example of trump's racist ameriKKKa. You far right white supremacists can dismiss these cases all you like but since trump , these police calls have increased a hundredfold.

I am just glad the black guy wasn't shot dead by the trigger happy police.

No they would not. They would of refused to cash the check until it could be verified especially with 11 frauds commuted at that branch in the past few months.
There is no excuse for calling 911. The none emergency number should of been used.

Okay, calling 911 was inexcusable, which both the folk at the call centre and the police would be very well aware.... So I wonder why the cops instantly rushed out to handcuff and jail this fellow?

There've been incidents where American police have chosen not to intervene against an abusive spouse violating a restraining order (resulting in three kids' deaths) or, 'responding' to a 911 call about a forced entry, abduction, rape and torture scenario, simply drove around the house and figured it looked alright. Amazingly, the later enquiries/court cases found that they had not acted wrongly.

Seems a bit strange then, for such an instantaneous and heavy-handed response to an inappropriate call which they certainly knew was not an emergency and could well be entirely innocent (as it was).

Back
Top Bottom