• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black man in Ohio trying to cash paycheck is handcuffed after bank teller calls 911

Never was sure if I did the right thing. Initially I filed a complaint. But at some point I just figured it wasn't worth the hassle and likely wouldn't have amounted to much of anything. City paid the medical\paramedic bills. They claimed standard police practice when responding to bank thefts and accidental injury yada yada yada. Attorneys are expensive and/or would have taken much of anything I might have gotten. Honestly after awhile when my anger died down and looking at the time and expense I just said screw it. Wasn't working at the time. Then finally found work and didn't want to take off work. I don't know, just eventually dropped it for whatever rationale was going through my head at the time. Kind of feel bad for not putting the effort in to fix the system. Also they are trained to do that, but obviously taking advantage of the situation and they went to far. What you gonna do? :(

Dave, I think a lot of the bad officers would be weeded out faster if enough people filed IA cases against them when they do obviously get out of line.

Just like they do with the citizens, they file a case on each and every infraction to show a history of behavior.

I think that same thing should be done with every officer that violates citizens rights and the rules.

Dave, I think a lot of the bad officers would be weeded out faster if enough people filed IA cases against them when they do obviously get out of line.

Just like they do with the citizens, they file a case on each and every infraction to show a history of behavior.

I think that same thing should be done with every officer that violates citizens rights and the rules.

It's like any profession. You have good ones and bad ones. I had them help me on several occasions too. For the most part the vast majority of them are doing a hard job with extraordinary character. I wouldn't do it.

And I did feel bad about just letting it go. I agree I probably should have pursued it further. No cameras back then either. So it's pretty much their word.

Last edited:
There are those that would call what you just described as "white privilege".

But is it really?

From the description you gave the white family has been in that area for a long time. They'd established themselves. Had made lots of friends. They had a history with that area. And they used that to help get their sons back on the right path. Where as the black family was not established in that area. Had few, if any, friends. No other family members in the area. No history with the area. And as such did not have the resources available to get that 17 year old back on the right path.

I don't consider this an example of white privilege (NOT saying that is what you were calling it, just speaking towards those that think it is). I consider this an example of class privilege. Or as you call it a bias. A bias in favor of an established family over that of a family that had not "proved" themselves to the community.

I agree with you that there should be, should have been, something in place to help that 17 year old. Which is why I have advocated for a reform of our justice system. One that focuses on rehabilitation instead of punishment. Part of that is that we're going to have to educate people that just because someone once did something bad in their lives it does not, should not, follow them their entire lives. Once their debt is paid, it should be forgiven and forgotten. This can happen even now in certain situations. (like the one you described) but it is not applied universally. Which it should be.

I consider it the bias...the white kids did not get felonies...they got treatment and passes.
The black kid didn't.
It was a small town/city they were my neighbors for a short time but the family was a known entity an uncle a firefighter, some teacher aunts along with a bunch of addicts they were known.
I agree with you on the justice system. It's ridiculous all it does is keep people in the system.

~ When real racism rears its ugly head ~

OK, what do you classify as "real racism?"

Do you have a sliding scale where you can define different levels of racism?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...paycheck-handcuffed-after-bank-teller-n949986

The bank teller wrongly believed the man's paycheck was fraudulent. Reports of the incident have sparked a new hashtag, #BankingWhileBlack.

An Ohio man trying to cash his paycheck from a new job was handcuffed and put in the back of a police car after a bank teller called 911 on the false belief the check was fraudulent.

Now the bank is apologizing as reports of the incident have sparked a new hashtag, #BankingWhileBlack.
===========================================
#BankingWhileBlack - in Ohio. I think this might merit a lawsuit. Open discrimination in a 'northern' state.
1. The belief was based on their records.
2. A law suit based on what exactly? Please do not suggest race as nothing here suggests that race had a damn thing to do with it.

An extra 500 bucks might be a nice way to apologize.
$500 for what exactly?

Something tells me he will be having another, much larger check, to cash in the not too distant future. :)

Based on what exactly? Not cashing a check that they could not verify? Surely not that.
On the police arresting for investigative purposes and releasing him after they found out the check was good? Nope, not on that either.
So on what exactly do you think he would be able to sue?

Yeah this stuff is not new...

[video=youtube;PKjcE2gKEeE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKjcE2gKEeE[video]

This guy spent an entire weekend in prison because the bank thought its own check was a fake.
Jfc! Both cases are based on different set of circumstance, none of which had to do with race.
No. It does not look that way at all.

I don't think it's terribly hard to work out. Is it?

The man provided two forms of ID and fingerprints. They refused to honor the request then called the police, anyway. Do get over the urge to go to bat to deny the potential existence of racial influence on an individual's behavior just the one time.....
Well your reply here certainly suggests you did not bother to fully understand what you read.
The check did not match their records.

So many drug defendants plead guilty despite innocence ...
So many? Sounds like exaggerated bs.

The bank made a rather big deal about the fact that he didn't return their phone calls to accept their apology. I wouldn't either; ...
Subjectively; Good folks would, and even understand that it happened because the check could not be verified.

Most black males have been harassed for incidents that never would have happened if they'd been, well, white. On the surface, this looks like one of them; not enough detail to determine one way or another.
Jfc!
No. That is not what it looks like. It looks exactly as reported. The check did not match the banks records.

They would have cashed the damned check, and if it bounced they would have notified the police, told them who, what, where and when, and pressed charges; then the police would have gone out and arrested him/her.

And yes, I know exactly what I'm talking about; I was the Finance Director for a SoCalif city for many years, and had detailed working relationships with every bank in said city.
1. Unless you are up-to-date on the current policies and protocol, your personal experience from a previous time is irrelevant.
2. But since we are on a personal experience tip; Five times in the last three years I used a PLS to obtain money orders, as they provide that service for free. In two of those five visits I observed the police being called in exactly what appears to be similar situations as the bank in the OP. So it is not unlikely that the teller was following policy/protocol similar to that which PLS employs.

As you said, "If not verified..." In other words, you have proven the check was fraudulent. Yep, call police. In this case, the check was never proven fraudulent because it was not fraudulent, but police were called anyway!

That is wrong on so many levels.
The check was not verified because, as the article reports, it did not match their records, which of course gives it the appearance of being fraudulent.
So, do you know that specifics bank's policy/protocol when faced with such a situation?

That's your story and you're sticking with it. I, however, watched what happened live, I watched what Trump said live, I heard Trump proudly brag about being a Nationalist and talk about "Antifa thugs"... not KKK thugs, Antifa thugs... so it's not debunked in my book. So that's my story and I'm sticking with it.
1. There is not a damn thing wrong with being a "Nationalist". Or do you not understand that "nationalist" is not something based on race?
2. I think you are conflating incidents, but with that said, Antifa were, and still are, thugs. They were the ones (all over this country) trying to violently stop those on the right from speaking and the ones initiating the violence.

I bet they wouldn’t have called the cops if the guy were white.
That is a bet you would likely lose.

Somehow I imagine that if I had been in the same situation, I would not have been reported, nor handcuffed. Somehow I imagine the bank would not have made such a mistake.
1. In this part of the woods, you imagine wrong.
2. The banks records did not match and they could not verify it with the supposed issuer. In that situation how would the "mistake" not have been made with you?

Would the bank teller have called 911 if the customer was WHITE? I don't think so.

This is yet ANOTHER example of trump's racist ameriKKKa. You far right white supremacists can dismiss these cases all you like but since trump , these police calls have increased a hundredfold.

I am just glad the black guy wasn't shot dead by the trigger happy police.
Your comments are ridiculous bs. The same thing likely would have happened had the person been white.
This was about a check not matching the banks records, and likely the banks protocol regarding such situations, not race.

Nonsense.

There are no "very fine people" in a mob chanting "Jews will not replace us" ...
Yes, your reply is nonsense as that was not the only group attending the the next day's event.

That said...what the hell are you talking about? The incident in question is almost certainly an example of implicit bias (at best), and racism (at worst).
If you are suggesting that implicit bias is against criminal wrong doing then sure. But if you are instead suggesting, as it appears, that a racial bias exists, your comment is full of ****.
It had to do with the check not matching their records.
It is likely they have a policy/protocol to follow when such circumstance present.

Okay, calling 911 was inexcusable, which both the folk at the call centre and the police would be very well aware.... So I wonder why the cops instantly rushed out to handcuff and jail this fellow?

There've been incidents where American police have chosen not to intervene against an abusive spouse violating a restraining order (resulting in three kids' deaths) or, 'responding' to a 911 call about a forced entry, abduction, rape and torture scenario, simply drove around the house and figured it looked alright. Amazingly, the later enquiries/court cases found that they had not acted wrongly.

Seems a bit strange then, for such an instantaneous and heavy-handed response to an inappropriate call which they certainly knew was not an emergency and could well be entirely innocent (as it was).
Trying to compare different policing agencies is like comparing apples to oranges. While they are both fruit, they are still different.

OK, what do you classify as "real racism?"

Do you have a sliding scale where you can define different levels of racism?

There is no need for a scale or spectrum. Either something is racist or it's not. There are differing levels of severity in what was included in the offense.

When you get things like this article pretending racism is there, it muddies the waters and people do hear a boy crying wolf when there really is some form of racism involved. Again, absolutely no one has demonstrated this had to do with racism. They don't have counter-stories of white people cashing checks by the same branch under the same conditions. There were no racial slurs. Turns out when you have 37 million people of a race living in a country, sometimes some of them end up in a crappy situation.

were those drivers "racist" or had they had bad experiences with young black males?

You hit the nail on the head.

One's opinion about various ethnicities usually stems from one's personal experiences.

Therefore, we should respect each person's opinion on this topic.

~ Again, absolutely no one has demonstrated this had to do with racism. They don't have counter-stories of white people cashing checks by the same branch under the same conditions ~

So you expect a news agency to go and investigate and report when someone goes to a counter in a commercial transaction and everything goes smoothly?

OK....

So you expect a news agency to go and investigate and report when someone goes to a counter in a commercial transaction and everything goes smoothly?

OK....

No, but before idiots claim racism when there is absolutely zero evidence of it, I expect them to at least investigate at all. That concept obviously completely went over the head of several people involved.

Can an injustice ever be done to a black person without it being racist?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...paycheck-handcuffed-after-bank-teller-n949986

The bank teller wrongly believed the man's paycheck was fraudulent. Reports of the incident have sparked a new hashtag, #BankingWhileBlack.

An Ohio man trying to cash his paycheck from a new job was handcuffed and put in the back of a police car after a bank teller called 911 on the false belief the check was fraudulent.

Now the bank is apologizing as reports of the incident have sparked a new hashtag, #BankingWhileBlack.
===========================================
#BankingWhileBlack - in Ohio. I think this might merit a lawsuit. Open discrimination in a 'northern' state.

One isolated, wierd incident does not equal a trend.

No, but before idiots claim racism when there is absolutely zero evidence of it, I expect them to at least investigate at all. That concept obviously completely went over the head of several people involved.

So how can it ever be verified one way or another then if newspapers (understandably) only focus on events out of the ordinary? The burden of proof it was not racist falls on those trying to claim this often happens to non-white customers legally trying to cashing their own cheques.

So how can it ever be verified one way or another then if newspapers (understandably) only focus on events out of the ordinary? The burden of proof it was not racist falls on those trying to claim this often happens to non-white customers legally trying to cashing their own cheques.

Burden of proof is on the one making outrageous accusations. Not those who have the common sense to not take it seriously with an absolute lack of evidence.

~ outrageous accusations ~

That is highly subjective.

~Not those who have the common sense to not take it seriously with an absolute lack of evidence.

So I guess you're another angry American Conservative who never tried googling for "white man arrested for trying to cash own cheque...."

Banking while black

Add that to the list

Picnicking while black

Swimming while black
'
Golfing while black

That is highly subjective.

So I guess you're another angry American Conservative who never tried googling for "white man arrested for trying to cash own cheque...."

Not angry, not conservative (in most areas) and not into wasting my time. I won't be spending much time responding to you after this. Feel free to try and get the last word.

Your racism is very strong and comes from a deep insecurity. Your desperate need to feel superior is leaving you blind to the damage done by people like you. I know that you honestly believe you are doing the right thing and that makes me want to take it easy on you.

If you ever open your eyes and realize there are ways you can help, I hope you find it in you to do good things for those who have been honestly wronged. Good luck to you.

Not angry, not conservative (in most areas) and not into wasting my time. I won't be spending much time responding to you after this. Feel free to try and get the last word.

Your racism is very strong and comes from a deep insecurity. Your desperate need to feel superior is leaving you blind to the damage done by people like you. I know that you honestly believe you are doing the right thing and that makes me want to take it easy on you.

If you ever open your eyes and realize there are ways you can help, I hope you find it in you to do good things for those who have been honestly wronged. Good luck to you.

Haha.

You could have just confessed that there are no examples of white men wrongfully arrested when legally cashing cheques in the US so I find it funny when someone says "not responding anymore" and then adds a whole lot of insults just prove who is the one doing the projecting and accusing another poster of bad posting behaviour.

As well as being an apologist for a questionable incident in a bank.

Back
Top Bottom