• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Black & Decker sucks ass!

Brand bashing was never a thing with me. I use what ever works, and works repeatedly

I own $15,000 worth of tools (probably more than that) and the majority of them being DeWalt, Bosch, Porter Cable, and Ridgid. But I also find some nice hidden gems from Harbor Freight once in a while which are about 1/2 the cost of the big names.

You can't beat Harbor Freight's drywall lift for the price, and their 10" sliding tile cutting saw is the best I have ever used.
Porter Cable is on the same level as Bosch, DeWalt and Ridgid?

Black & Decker tools are for the occasional use homeowner and for the most part do a OK job.

I have owned 2 of their Mouse Sanders for about 10 years now and they are real life savers when I get into more detailed areas while restoring wooden flooring.
I have a BD jig saw and besides making completely skewed cuts no master what I do, the insert for a guide is in the back instead of the front. Good job, guys.

Their quality has been down for 20 years.
They sold their small appliance division (that they bought from GE) to Windmere in 1998 and they still sell them under the B&D name. Your product is not even made by B&D. I have one of their drills they made in the 1950's and it still works fine though.

I could be wrong, but I think my dishwasher is Bosch. Whatever the brand, it's worked great for 5 years.

Meanwhile nothing went wrong with our various Black & Decker crap.

Hey, while we’re all here and talking power tools, I recently bought my first belt sander, a Metabo. Is it it normal to have to realign the sandpaper all the time?

I spend at least as much time keeping the belt centered as I do sanding.

Also, I need to get a good pole saw. Looking at various crap, but reviews can't be trusted.....they're all around 4.5/5...etc

Not going to be used a huge amount. A lot are cheaper, but I don't want crap, either. Probably going electric...

Also, I need to get a good pole saw. Looking at various crap, but reviews can't be trusted.....they're all around 4.5/5...etc

Not going to be used a huge amount. A lot are cheaper, but I don't want crap, either. Probably going electric...
The first one is a DeWalt and has a fakespot grade of B. The second is craftsman and has a D rating.

I'd definitely go for the first. And at the risk of sounding like a fanboy, if you can afford the Bosch and the DeWalt, then those are the ones you make a beeline for.

They are the worst at customer service. I purchased a dehumidifier in Nov 2020. Last month is stopped working, and displayed an error code advising the customer to call/email customer support. After two unanswered emails, I decided to call. Called precisely at 1030 EST (their starting time), and was on hold for at least 30 minutes before something happened where the systems said an error occurred, and it hung up. This probably put me further down the waiting list. I called again and was put on a long hold.

I made a phone call to a appliance repair friend of mine about my ice maker and mentioned your dehumidifier problem to him. Without knowing what model B&D you have, he says the two most common problems are either the bucket not being seated correctly, or the sensor needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Flip a coin with the DeWalt & Bosch if they are just for occasional home use.

Heavy use, go with Stihl.

Hey, while we’re all here and talking power tools, I recently bought my first belt sander, a Metabo. Is it it normal to have to realign the sandpaper all the time?

Metabo's are rebranded Hitachi tools since 2018 and I'm not sure what is going on there as far as quality these days, but I'm guessing they are still decent tools.

But as far any belt sanders go, it's all about keeping the belt clean and aligned properly. Also, take a look at the belt and see if it's a directional belt. (some are)

I hold the BS upside down and adjust the tracking knob while it's running.

If adjusting it while it's running makes you nervous, you can always clamp it into a soft jaw vice and do it that way.

Making any tracking adjustments without it running is pretty useless.

Last edited:
I have a BD jig saw and besides making completely skewed cuts no master what I do, the insert for a guide is in the back instead of the front. Good job, guys.

It's not just B&D making crap jigsaws.

Jigsaws are almost useless without heavy duty guide bearings and quite a few manufacturers still don't get it right.

I have a expensive 20 year old DeWalt that would have been better suited for anchoring my kayak.

My newer DW117 DeWalt has a a hefty guide bearing.

Why-your-jigsaw-doesnt-cut-straight-0002-1920x1080.jpg

Brand bashing was never a thing with me. I use what ever works, and works repeatedly

I own $15,000 worth of tools (probably more than that) and the majority of them being DeWalt, Bosch, Porter Cable, and Ridgid. But I also find some nice hidden gems from Harbor Freight once in a while which are about 1/2 the cost of the big names.

You can't beat Harbor Freight's drywall lift for the price, and their 10" sliding tile cutting saw is the best I have ever used.
Agreed on the drywall lift. I finished my basement walls and ceilings with their tool. I then sold it for nearly what I paid for it, so it amounted to an inexpensive rental. Years later I got another to finish a ceiling in a new garage. It;s still in the attic.

When I first opened the package and assembled the lift I was very skeptical, but it works like a champ.

Agreed on the drywall lift. I finished my basement walls and ceilings with their tool. I then sold it for nearly what I paid for it, so it amounted to an inexpensive rental. Years later I got another to finish a ceiling in a new garage. It;s still in the attic.

When I first opened the package and assembled the lift I was very skeptical, but it works like a champ.

A 12' sheet of USG 5/8" "fire code" rock really puts a hurting on that lift...........:ROFLMAO:

I cringe every time I crank one up to a garage ceiling but it has done it hundreds of times and not let go. :oops:

I own a Paragon Pro 460 hydraulic chain driven lift that is much stronger and lifts up to 15' but the HF is much lighter to break down and haul from job to job.

Jigsaws are almost useless without heavy duty guide bearings and quite a few manufacturers still don't get it right.

I have a expensive 20 year old DeWalt that would have been better suited for anchoring my kayak.

View attachment 67343526
Then that's what I'm getting next (the Bosch). Since I recently finished outfitting my Bosch table saw, my jig saw is now The Thing That Sucks The Most in my shop.

And the writer for that article might as well have been writing it about me. When forced to use a jig saw, I really do think, "Well crap, I have no choice -- I HAVE to use a jig saw for this next action. Goddammit."

And lookit that! Bosch put the insert for a guide in the front instead of the back!
In case anybody's wondering why I'm talking about, I got this thing thinking it would help make straighter cuts, but BD put the insert in the back for reasons I can't imagine, rendering it totally useless.

I know it says you can use it for circular saws, but I couldn't imagine using anything so puny with that.

Metabo's are rebranded Hitachi tools since 2018 and I'm not sure what is going on there as far as quality these days, but I'm guessing they are still decent tools.

But as far any belt sanders go, it's all about keeping the belt clean and aligned properly. Also, take a look at the belt and see if it's a directional belt. (some are)

I hold the BS upside down and adjust the tracking knob while it's running.

If adjusting it while it's running makes you nervous, you can always clamp it into a soft jaw vice and do it that way.

Making any tracking adjustments without it running is pretty useless.
I can't set it upside down because of the location of the cord, but I can certainly put it in a vice. The only thing is that goes off alignment based on the power setting and how hard I press.

But I don't even know what you mean by whether it's a directional belt, so my inexperience is a really big factor here.

I probably bought the wrong tool for my shop because I just end up using a random orbital sander for nearly everything anyway. The only reason I got it in the first place is because I built a table top by joining 2x6's together with glue, pocket screws and bread boards, and because I didn't own a planer I thought a belt sander would be the way to go to level out the imperfections. That...didn't go so well, and I haven't used the belt sander since.

But I'm holding on to it because this would hardly be the first time I abandoned a tool until I learned how to use it.

How is this relevant and helpful?
Well, it pretty much sums up ALL customer service lines for corporations.

Surprisingly the VA is pretty quick to answer the automated line at the local clinic level and fairly good at the state level. Target HR has an extremely confusing menu but a human answers pretty quick. Credit card companies take FOREVER to respond and I have trouble understanding them- they sure ain't speaking 'Okie' and the delay makes it extremely frustrating... ✌️

View attachment 67343526
Looking at the reviews for the Bosch and the DeWalt, I'm seeing that the DeWalt has a better line of sight, which seems to be pretty important. Is the Bosch considered better in the article you linked to just because it's 7-amp vs 6.5-amp? Because if that's the primary difference then it seems to me that a good line of sight would make for more accurate and intricate cuts. For what I do, I don't think that that the .5-amp difference is going to make or break me.

I can't set it upside down because of the location of the cord, but I can certainly put it in a vice. The only thing is that goes off alignment based on the power setting and how hard I press.

But I don't even know what you mean by whether it's a directional belt, so my inexperience is a really big factor here.

I probably bought the wrong tool for my shop because I just end up using a random orbital sander for nearly everything anyway. The only reason I got it in the first place is because I built a table top by joining 2x6's together with glue, pocket screws and bread boards, and because I didn't own a planer I thought a belt sander would be the way to go to level out the imperfections. That...didn't go so well, and I haven't used the belt sander since.

But I'm holding on to it because this would hardly be the first time I abandoned a tool until I learned how to use it.
A directional belt will have arrows on the backside that indicate the direction of travel over the rollers.

I have a PC jig saw and it is a good tool although I don’t care for the way the blade mount or the blade supports. Have you looked into saw guides?
They come in three lengths. Or you can use a known true piece of wood clamped to the piece to be cut and run the base of the saw against it.

What use do you find for a belt sander? For me it’s a tool to knock down big differences until I can use a finish sander a little easier.

Would like to known the answer to this as well. It's certainly been my experience with the brushless Ryobi.

Really? So B&D is a bad brand for dehumidifiers?
From what I've seen and read, consumer-level dehumidifiers these days are all "bad brands" - like many other appliances. Probably all put together by the same 2-3 manufacturers in China with different fit and finish. That being said, you should get a few years out of it, not a few months. To get something with a 5-year warranty you pretty much have to pay 5 times as much unless you go with a Honeywell.

Gone are the days when you were stuck with a brown, decades-old refrigerator because it just wouldn't quit.

Except B&D wasn't always a brand described as "cheap".
And, that advice isn't as golden as you might think either.
When we moved into our new home in Whittier in 2014, first thing we did after all the handicap accessibility remodels was to remodel the kitchen.
Out went the cooktop, oven and dishwasher, original equipment since the house was built in 1996.

Believing in past recommendations about so called "German engineering" we decided to purchase from Bosch.

1. The Bosch cooktop arrived missing a burner trivet, which is a round metal disk that helps spread the flame in a circular pattern around the burner jet.
Two of the burners suffer from not always lighting electronically no matter what one does. They simply light themselves on a whim, or we are forced to use a BBQ lighter.
Been that way since it was new and no amount of service calls (four to date) rectifies the problem, as it always reverts back to it's default fickle approach.

2. The Bosch oven is also fickle, choosing to suffer "software crashes" that require a visit to the circuit breaker panel to "reboot" it about two or three times a month.
The meat temp probe worked ONCE, the first time and has never worked since. Bosch refuses to agree that it doesn't work, they simply said that they think it works, period.
Obviously these dour German CSR's made up their mind that the customer is lying.
Das liegender Kunde!!! (the lying customer!!)

3. Our Bosch dishwasher has never worked properly, not even the first day.
Sometimes you open the door and click on the buttons to set up the wash and start the machine, sometimes the panel is simply unresponsive and will not permit you to do anything.
Try and come back later and maybe it will allow you to turn on the machine, if it's in a good mood.

Whatever you do, don't buy German appliances, at least not ones made by Bosch.
This so called "German engineering" is a myth and legend from the distant past.
That sounds like my mom's experience with her Bosch refrigerator. The fun time was when it started smoking, because of a short, during a dinner with family and we had to call the fire department out. We didn't know where the short happened at the time - the kitchen just filled with smoke that smelled of burning rubber/plastic. Nice guys in full fire gear told us to unplug the Bosch unit.... Then it took about 10 days to get the part, then fix the unit.

We've had really good luck with Kitchen Aid, and our OLD Sears appliances. Our HE "Kenmore" washer/dryer set, which is super simple, has been going strong for about 17 years now without a single service call....

I use a manual pole saw. It's definitely a pain in the butt if you move into a new place that has been neglected and have to take down a lot of branches - but once that's done, everything is smaller branches and annual maintenance. Nothing beats the integrated rope/pulley lopper for that - lighter, faster, and typically superior cuts to an electric. You can also reach far higher (mine goes to 16 feet, but that's pretty unwieldy).

Back
Top Bottom