• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bishop Spong and the Modernization of Christianity

I have asked you twice where you got the idea that Christianity is dying, which is one of the claims you are making.

And Ive given you a link from WaPo that proves it. All youve got is a nutty Conservapedia article that nobody in their right mind would trust. So who's lying now?

There's no forcing the heathens. Are you feeling forced? Then get a better argument.
I personally could care less, but the statement of "worship me or face eternal punishment" is a textbook definition of threat via intimidation.

And you're an expert on this, having none of the theological education to know better.

You and Elvira have been reading too many Mad Magazines.

Alfred E Newman is more real than god. ;)

And Ive given you a link from WaPo that proves it. All youve got is a nutty Conservapedia article that nobody in their right mind would trust. So who's lying now?

Even though some will emphatically deny it, that is a part of the composite sign Jesus gave...false prophets being the reason why...people are getting discouraged by the hypocrisy they see in Christendom...

"Many false prophets will arise and mislead many; and because of the increasing of lawlessness, the love of the greater number will grow cold." Matthew 24:11,12

I personally could care less, but the statement of "worship me or face eternal punishment" is a textbook definition of threat via intimidation.

After all, we can prove that Alfred exists! There are actually books that exists that have his image in them!

At the very least a formal education in theology allows you to post intelligently in theology forums.

What difference does it make, you're not responding to anyone intelligent anyhow?

I would beat him hands down in a bible quiz.

Most atheists would. It's well known that atheists tend to know more about religion than the religious do. That's why we're atheists, after all.

Of course I do, but I as responding to his offtopic posts, so perhaps you ought to have a talk with him first.

No, what I'd like to do is talk about the topic of this thread rather than about individual personalities.

Most atheists would. It's well known that atheists tend to know more about religion than the religious do. That's why we're atheists, after all.

Right, Cephus. :roll:

Good to see you around, BTW. It's been awhile.

I beg your pardon, even Ramoss told you that wasn't sufficient, and about your claim that Churches "force believers" by telling them they are going to hell: Spong was an Episcopalian Bishop. I was an Episcopalian for over 20 years and I never, ever heard anybody say that, not even laypeople.

Right, Cephus. :roll:

Good to see you around, BTW. It's been awhile.

It's true. I am a member of a championship quiz team and among other things I handle the bible and religious questions.

It's true. I am a member of a championship quiz team and among other things I handle the bible and religious questions.

lol...and I am the Queen of Sheba...:2razz:

No, what I'd like to do is talk about the topic of this thread rather than about individual personalities.

So why are you calling me out when he was the one who started it?

I beg your pardon, even Ramoss told you that wasn't sufficient, and about your claim that Churches "force believers" by telling them they are going to hell: Spong was an Episcopalian Bishop. I was an Episcopalian for over 20 years and I never, ever heard anybody say that, not even laypeople.

RAMOSS is entitled to his opinion, and I have yet to see numbers from other parts of the world- so that needs to be produced. WaPo is a legit news source, and it is accurate.

Even the real wikipedia is also confirming it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_of_Christianity

As far as the going to hell bit, your good buddy Logicman says it all the time- as do others in this forum.

You got any more excuses?

So why are you calling me out when he was the one who started it?

RAMOSS is entitled to his opinion, and I have yet to see numbers from other parts of the world- so that needs to be produced. WaPo is a legit news source, and it is accurate.

Even the real wikipedia is also confirming it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_of_Christianity

As far as the going to hell bit, your good buddy Logicman says it all the time- as do others in this forum.

You got any more excuses?

And you're entitled to your opinion, you're just not entitled to your own reality, this isn't your fan page. If your beliefs can't stand up to a few questions, don't post them.

At the very least a formal education in theology allows you to post intelligently in theology forums.

There are plenty of examples, on this board alone, that show that statement is false

And you're entitled to your opinion, you're just not entitled to your own reality, this isn't your fan page. If your beliefs can't stand up to a few questions, don't post them.

Ive given you links to facts that show christianity is declining. If you want to ignore reality, go ahead- you always do that anyway. Seems an education in theology isnt all its cracked up to be.

There are plenty of examples, on this board alone, that show that statement is false

Then how much worse off are the people who DON'T know theology?

Re: the bolded.... *snicker* ;)

Ive given you links to facts that show christianity is declining. If you want to ignore reality, go ahead- you always do that anyway. Seems an education in theology isnt all its cracked up to be.

You can't argue with people who refuse to deal with reality, I guess.

declining-religiosity-graph.jpg

Religiosity-Graph1.jpg

Most theists have no clue about theology, they believe because they were indoctrinated into it and have been told not to ask questions. And no, they don't fare well in intelligent discussions either.

The ones that you alledge 'don't' know theology are in a much better position.

You can't argue with people who think America is the whole world, either.

I can do the same thing with the majority of the first world. Religion is dying there. The only place it's growing is in the third world which is entirely irrelevant. Nothing worthwhile occurs there. Virtually all discoveries are made here. Virtually all improvements are made here. If what people believe in places without flush toilets impresses you, I don't know what to tell you.

Most theists have no clue about theology, they believe because they were indoctrinated into it and have been told not to ask questions. And no, they don't fare well in intelligent discussions either.

I have met a grand total of one atheist who has a clue on this forum, maybe two. The rest of them are what I call fundamentalist atheists - they think "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin is a question of deep theological significance. The rest make it up as they go, then they brag about how much more knowledgeable they are.

I have met a grand total of one atheist who has a clue on this forum, maybe two. The rest of them are what I call fundamentalist atheists - they think "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin is a question of deep theological significance. The rest make it up as they go, then they brag about how much more knowledgeable they are.

Well, I'm still waiting to find a single theist with a clue anywhere. You're not it. So please, try to do better. I've only been doing this for 30 years, you'd think I'd have run into one by now, wouldn't you?

Back
Top Bottom