• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bishop Spong and the Modernization of Christianity

Not IN Addis Ababa, but in that vicinity. The big issue there is AIDS. We help children of stricken parents. Food, medical, education.

Here's a pic of the girl we are currently (personally) sponsoring, Rahel. She'll be an accountant.
View attachment 67247221

My wife has been there 4 times. I can't go due to medical issues.

She's a beauty.

We have a Bishop who lives there. He has an orphanage and a school but based on the pictures I have seen they're not in the city. My wife and I donate out of our own pockets for that ministry, I am astonished at the buying power of US Dollars in Africa.

God bless you for your charity to your fellow man.

She's a beauty.

We have a Bishop who lives there. He has an orphanage and a school but based on the pictures I have seen they're not in the city. My wife and I donate out of our own pockets for that ministry, I am astonished at the buying power of US Dollars in Africa.

God bless you for your charity to your fellow man.

Thanks. Thank you for your contributions to the ministry there.

We adopted her when she was 6, and are really proud of her.

You are correct, it's relatively inexpensive. There's a lot of unpaid work that goes into that charity, however. My wife puts an almost insane amount into it.

Thanks. Thank you for your contributions to the ministry there.

We adopted her when she was 6, and are really proud of her.

You are correct, it's relatively inexpensive. There's a lot of unpaid work that goes into that charity, however. My wife puts an almost insane amount into it.

Don't I know it!

Just to point out, the washington post is addressing religion in the USA verses the entire world. Africa ,and latin america is growing. .. not nearly as much as the conservapedia claims, but it is growing slightly more than the population growth. Typically , Christianity is doing well in poor areas that have do not have a robust education system.

Yes, I knew it all along. You knew damn well that I was right but you just had to bust my balls over the fact that it was from Conservapedia, which is why I don't play along with you anymore, I know exactly what you're doing. I did like the bit about Christianity growing in the places where all those black and brown people live - you know, with "less than robust education systems". It tells us who you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shelby_Spong

Spong has been mentioned in a number of threads, but I think he deserves his own, so let's talk about his radical ideas.

What is clear is that Christianity has become outdated and is in danger of dying out. It is full of weird rituals that advocate cannibalism, blood sacrifice, and other disgusting things which do not belong in the modern world. The religion's theology dates back to a time of superstition and obsolete ideas that have been proven wrong by science (virgin birth, a worldwide flood, etc.).

Christianity has become so outdated that nobody who calls him or herself Christian can follow every single teaching in the bible anymore.

In comes Spong and his proposals- what he seeks is to get rid of the nonsensical trappings of Christianity to enable it to thrive and attain compatibility in today's world.

It seems that Spong might be this century's Martin Luther, and he has 12 points that ought ought to be heeded for reforming Christianity:

1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found.
  2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.
  3. The Biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-Darwinian nonsense.
  4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.
  5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events performed by an incarnate deity.
  6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be dismissed.
  7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation occurring inside human history.
  8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a post-Copernican space age.
  9. There is no external, objective, revealed standard written in scripture or on tablets of stone that will govern our ethical behavior for all time.
  10. Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in human history in a particular way.
  11. The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the behavior control mentality of reward and punishment. The Church must abandon, therefore, its reliance on guilt as a motivator of behavior.
  12. All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for either rejection or discrimination.

While you may not agree with all of his points, what he proposes does make sense, and could be the launching pad for a Christian renaissance.

Spong is a left-wing loon, a heretic, and a wolf in sheep's clothing.

What's Wrong with Bishop Spong? List in the link -

https://creation.com/whats-wrong-with-bishop-spong

Well what Spong is saying is that we need another way to look at god- not as some all powerful mysterious being who kills whoever he wants to and forces you to worship him.

God doesn't force anyone to worship him. That's another in a long list of lies from you.

You and I would be roasted on a spit by this crew if we posted a thread like this.

I just did. Not that the God-mockers will actually read it and LEARN, but it's there nonetheless.

I just did. Not that the God-mockers will actually read it and LEARN, but it's there nonetheless.

It has nothing to do with God, it has nothing to do with knowledge, it has to do with our politics. Did you see the crap they gave me about posting a Conservapedia article? They knew the article was accurate but they couldnt disprove it, so they attacked the website.

If I started a thread as fact free as this one I would be greeted with speculation about my number of parents, my IQ, and whatever insults they can make it.

THESE GUYS DO NOT DEBATE IN ANY SENSE THAT I UNDERSTAND. They are here to harass and distract you, like one of them tried to do with me earlier in the day.

Lately they have gotten so sloppy they are giving away their motives. And that's okay.

I read the Conservapedia 'article' on "Evolution Syndrome"

https://www.conservapedia.com/Evolution_syndrome

:shock:

It's a laff riot, that place.
Creation denial
Creation denial, or creation denialism, is willful ignorance of the evidence for creation and against evolutionism. One who engages in creation denial is called a creation denier or a creation denialist.

Open-minded people, when presented with the evidence, recognize the correctness of creationism. However, creation deniers persist in their delusion, most likely to support the atheist agenda and the homosexual agenda.

I think that goof has an agenda.

That's an odd thing for someone like you to have to pretend and bray about, given your record here.

You only think it's odd because you do not have a formal education in theology and you have nothing of substance to ever add to a conversation. You're just a hack badgering people.

God doesn't force anyone to worship him. That's another in a long list of lies from you.

Ahem:

Revelation 21:8 clearly states that all unbelievers will be cast into the Lake of Fire. That's God's Word. You deny that?

Saying non-believers are going to hell is pretty much like placing a gun to their heads. That's forcing people to worship him right then and there, something Bishop Spong disagrees with, and he's right.

Well that statement denies Jesus's divinity, which is correct, so that leaves the one single god, right?

Why would there be any such thing as divinity at all?

To all: I misread the page title and thought that it was in fact from wikipedia, which I know is a source you all believe unquestioningly. My bad.

Nonetheless, the claims of the growth of Christianity are true.

It's just not growing anywhere that matters.

Ahem:

Saying non-believers are going to hell is pretty much like placing a gun to their heads. That's forcing people to worship him right then and there, something Bishop Spong disagrees with, and he's right.

Why would a 'God' need worshiping anyway? Sounds more like what a narcissistic control freak human needs.

Well what Spong is saying is that we need another way to look at god- not as some all powerful mysterious being who kills whoever he wants to and forces you to worship him.

So you lied then. Not surprising since you always do that. Christianity is indeed dying out, and will do so unless people start to look at Spong's points.

Yes.

But since he has only said why there is trouble for the religion and not told the world what the solution is I only see it as a plea for help.

You only think it's odd because you do not have a formal education in theology and you have nothing of substance to ever add to a conversation. You're just a hack badgering people.

A formal education in theology is pointless, its like having a bachelor's degree in comic book trivia.

A formal education in theology is pointless, its like having a bachelor's degree in comic book trivia.

At the very least a formal education in theology allows you to post intelligently in theology forums.

Getting a theological degree would not be a huge intellectual challenge.

At the very least a formal education in theology allows you to post intelligently in theology forums.

Is that why you cited a conservapedia link?

Getting a theological degree would not be a huge intellectual challenge.
A New Atheist talking about "intellectual challenge" is like a fish out of water opening and closing its mouth.

Back
Top Bottom