• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biological sex is determined by....

What is the determining factor to a person's biological sex?

• The presence or absence of the SRY gene

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of 1 and 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Lol, your citation supports what I just told you. Barring a genetic aberration, sex is binary.
Well yeah if you dismiss the part that makes sex bimodal instead of binary sex is indeed binary lol. Did you read the paper? They pretty clearly describe the limitations in thinking of sex in a dichotomy. Again, it is biologists telling us sex is bimodal. Not sure why you think otherwise.

So you are saying that chromosomes are the deciding factor unless there is a statistical abnormality, in which case a different factor makes the determination?
You quoted exactly what I said.

Well yeah if you dismiss the part that makes sex bimodal instead of binary sex is indeed binary lol.
No. Sex is binary, barring genetic aberrations.
Did you read the paper?
yes
They pretty clearly describe the limitations in thinking of sex in a dichotomy. Again, it is biologists telling us sex is bimodal. Not sure why you think otherwise.
Your paper supported what I just told you lol. Sex is binary, unless there is a genetic aberration.

Your paper supported what I just told you lol. Sex is binary, unless there is a genetic aberration.
But that's not a binary. A binary is 0|1, not 0|1 but sometimes 2.

So may times in the debates people are putting forth what they claim is what determines what a male or female is, per the factors above. There really is no agreement here, despite claims to the contrary. I want to find out what the actual spread is.

Please keep in mind, that this is not a poll on the gender vs sex issue. There is not a question, for this thread and poll, as to what is gender or how that is determined, or is the right label/word symbol being used. This is concentrating solely on the physical biological body.

Note that this poll is not assigning any particular sex either. Whether one's sex is intersex male or intersex female or that the intersex condition is a third label altogether, that is irrelevant to what one will claim is the determining factor. The question before you is what is the determining factor, not what are the resultant sexes.
Your Doctor.

That's a stretch, especially since male female extends beyond humans.
It's your thread, feel free to jump in, but realize that not every comment is directed to you. I was responding to a post that started 'The sex of an individual human refers to one of two—and only two—...'

You quoted exactly what I said.
No I reworded to ensure comprehension. But otherwise fair enough. I'm not trying to argue your position per se here, just ensure I understand it. Thank you for a clear answer.

Oh and, again, to be clear, you are saying it's the external genitalia that is the secondary factor, or am I mixing you up with another?

Your Doctor.
And the doctor is using what criteria to make that determination?

My Doctor, BTW, is Smith, followed by McCoy, and the Tom Baker.

No I reworded to ensure comprehension. But otherwise fair enough. I'm not trying to argue your position per se here, just ensure I understand it. Thank you for a clear answer.
No problem.
Oh and, again, to be clear, you are saying it's the external genitalia that is the secondary factor, or am I mixing you up with another?
Chromosomes determine your sex. If your genitals do not match your chromosomes, that is a genetic aberration.

But that's not a binary. A binary is 0|1, not 0|1 but sometimes 2.

If sex is not binary, what is the name of the third sex and what role does it play in the fertilisation of human sex cells?

No problem.

Chromosomes determine your sex. If your genitals do not match your chromosomes, that is a genetic aberration.

Usually but not always. A person with xxy is male, but females can have a y chromosome as well.

So may times in the debates people are putting forth what they claim is what determines what a male or female is, per the factors above. There really is no agreement here, despite claims to the contrary. I want to find out what the actual spread is.

Please keep in mind, that this is not a poll on the gender vs sex issue. There is not a question, for this thread and poll, as to what is gender or how that is determined, or is the right label/word symbol being used. This is concentrating solely on the physical biological body.

Note that this poll is not assigning any particular sex either. Whether one's sex is intersex male or intersex female or that the intersex condition is a third label altogether, that is irrelevant to what one will claim is the determining factor. The question before you is what is the determining factor, not what are the resultant sexes.
Biological sex is only part of the equation of human sexuality. You cannot have biological sex and not have gender identity, even if 99.9% of people are CIS where their biological sex and psychological gender identity are aligned, unless you plan to deny that psychological gender identity does not exist.

Our DNA/chromosomes of XX or XY determine that biological sex.

If sex is not binary, what is the name of the third sex and what role does it play in the fertilization of human sex cells?
Intersex people exist at a higher rate than transgender/non binary people. Human sexuality is far from being as binary are you seem to want to believe it is.

Sorry, wasn't clear. I caught that you are holding to chromosomes for any other aberration. I was asking for aberrations in the chromosomes themselves, such as XXY and XYY, which you said then defaulted to a different factor, and I was verifying whether you said genitalia or if that was another person here.

If sex is not binary, what is the name of the third sex and what role does it play in the fertilisation of human sex cells?
Neuter will a null effect comes to mind as a possibility, but I'm not claiming it as such. Just noting the possibility.

Usually but not always. A person with xxy is male, but females can have a y chromosome as well.
It would seem to me that XXY would be the female with a Y, while XYY would be male, on the assumption that even the aberrations also fall under male and female

Not really. There are plenty that hold that gender is not binary but sex is. Saying someone who believes that sex is binary must also believe gender is binary is every bit as much dogma as is the claim of gender being binary.

No, at worst it's a misunderstanding. I've never met a person who believed that sex is binary and gender is not.

I don't know how many times I can remind you, that you are ****ing directly quoting me, and I am not saying the word gender in any of those quotes.

Do you believe that sex (the identity) is binary, yes or no?

Chromosomes are the deciding factor, barring a genetic aberration.

^ This is what intersex erasure looks like. There are multiple criteria for determining sex besides just chromosomes.

Biological sex is only part of the equation of human sexuality. You cannot have biological sex and not have gender identity, even if 99.9% of people are CIS where their biological sex and psychological gender identity are aligned, unless you plan to deny that psychological gender identity does not exist.

There is no claim of such there. All I have done is isolate the biological sex and what determines that. There is no denying of gender, how it lines up, or not, with biological sex, whether it's binary or spectrum or anything like that. This is simply a focus on what the various people on this forum are claiming to be the deciding factor on what any given person's biological sex is.

Our DNA/chromosomes of XX or XY determine that biological sex.

Given that there is more than XX and XY, what is the factor that determines the biological sex outside of that norm?

I mean in the case of true hermaphrodites in some rare cases, both roles. There are a few people that have been observed that could theoretically impregnate themselves. Of course that is incredibly rare. Most intersex people simply don't neatly fit into one of the two categories. Many are infertile.

No, at worst it's a misunderstanding. I've never met a person who believed that sex is binary and gender is not.
That doesn't mean they don't exist. I myself have met some.

There is no claim of such there. All I have done is isolate the biological sex and what determines that. There is no denying of gender, how it lines up, or not, with biological sex, whether it's binary or spectrum or anything like that. This is simply a focus on what the various people on this forum are claiming to be the deciding factor on what any given person's biological sex is.

Given that there is more than XX and XY, what is the factor that determines the biological sex outside of that norm?
I stated that intersex people exist. That is likely an act of human evolution. We do not know for certain why.

This is where you are making a strawman of his arguments. His claim is that the biological body is binary, and that the identity is not, and that they are not the same.

This is where you are making a strawman of his arguments. His claim is that the biological body is binary, and that the identity is not, and that they are not the same.

A direct question is a strawman? 😃 Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Sex is not an identity. It's a biological classification. And it is binary.
This is what intersex erasure looks like.
No, that is what biology looks like
There are multiple criteria for determining sex besides just chromosomes.
No there isn't. There are only 2 sexes in the human, and indeed almost every other species on the planet. And that is male or female. All of which is determined by chromosomes. Anything that is outside of this, is a genetic aberration.

Back
Top Bottom