• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biological sex is determined by....

What is the determining factor to a person's biological sex?

• The presence or absence of the SRY gene

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of 1 and 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Biology clearly shows that there are 2 and only 2 sexes in the Human race, controlled entirely by the chromosomes of the individual. Anything outside of this (intersex) are genetic aberrations.
No it doesn't you are clueless. There are such things as hermaphrodites, people with external genetalia of one and internal of another. There are people who are XXY and not just XX or XY so its not simple chromosomal. So no amount of moronic simpleton talk changes those facts. You know nothing about biology, that is apparent

The same thing as gender. Genetics.

What is NOT determined by is how somebody FEELS.

More dumb showing you know nothing. XX and XY are traditional, but there are people that may be XXY? What are they? Also, development of the sex organs come from the same tissue. The same tissue that develops into the labia encloses and becomes the scrotum, the same tissue that develops into a clitorus becomes the penis. Many things can happen during development even if the gametes say XX or XY

There are people who have both a vagina and a penis. There are those born with sex organs of one sex and later found to have sex organs of the other sex

You arent' very good at trolling, its downright pathetic and lazy

That's part of your gender binary dogma.
again, I didn't say anything about gender. I clearly said, and you directly quoted me saying, sex.

No it doesn't you are clueless.
It quite literally does lol.
There are such things as hermaphrodites, people with external genetalia of one and internal of another.
Yes, I pointed out genetic aberrations sometimes happen.
There are people who are XXY and not just XX or XY so its not simple chromosomal.
Yes it is. Genetic aberrations do not change the fact that humans are a binary species when it comes to sex.
So no amount of moronic simpleton talk changes those facts. You know nothing about biology, that is apparent
yes, the facts do not change. Biology doesn't care how you feel. Sex is binary.

again, I didn't say anything about gender. I clearly said, and you directly quoted me saying, sex.

The myth that gender = sex is part of gender-binary dogma. Or are you prepared to commit "heresy"?

Gonads, hormones, chromosomes, SRY gene... just to name a few.

Intersexuality, contrary to what the gender-binary dogmatists say, is real.
So you are saying that there is more to determining sex, as opposed to gender/internal self, than the list three factors, alone or in combination?

So you are saying that there is more to determining sex, as opposed to gender/internal self, than the list three factors, alone or in combination?

I am confident that all four factors that I mentioned are determining criteria. I do not recall others off the top of my head, but I do not rule them out.

The same thing as gender. Genetics.

What is NOT determined by is how somebody FEELS.
Genetics include both the chromosomes and the SRY gene. The SRY gene has the possibility of detaching from a Y chromosome, as well as the possibility of a detached SRY gene attaching to an X chromosome. So which is the determining factor? The chromosome combination or the SRY gene itself? Also what of non standard combinations such as XXY and XYY and others?

The OP says nothing about how one feels. That is a strawman on your part. I specifically excluded gender from the question. Stick to what is written.

That's part of your gender binary dogma.
Not really. There are plenty that hold that gender is not binary but sex is. Saying someone who believes that sex is binary must also believe gender is binary is every bit as much dogma as is the claim of gender being binary.

2 different sex organs for one.

I tell them what biology tells them.
But you just said that the chromosomes were the deciding factor, not the external organs. So which is it? Or do you want to change your answer?

Last edited:
scientists, specifically biologists, know that sex is binary.
What? This is absurd. It is specifically biological scientists that are the ones telling us sex is bimodal.

The myth that gender = sex is part of gender-binary dogma. Or are you prepared to commit "heresy"?
He never claimed that sex equaled gender, at least not in this thread. Do you have another thread where he said as much? Otherwise you are making a strawman.

I am confident that all four factors that I mentioned are determining criteria. I do not recall others off the top of my head, but I do not rule them out.
Are you claiming more than one sex, again not equating sex with gender, or that a specific combination determines male or female?

Thank you for this thread.

The sex of an individual human refers to one of two—and only two—functional roles that an individual may play in sexual reproduction. Males are defined as the sex that produces small, motile gametes (sperm), and females produce large, sessile gametes (ova). There is no third gamete between sperm and ova, and therefore there is no third biological sex apart from male and female. Yes, there is a small portion of the population born with intersex conditions—whereby they exhibit external sex ambiguity, or a mismatch between internal sexual anatomy and external phenotype—but they do not produce unique forms of gametes, or have primary sex organs that would normally produce them, and so they do not constitute a third sex, even if, in some extremely rare cases, they can’t be definitively classified as male or female.
Sexual reproduction is not a determinant of biological sex. So if someone does not classify as male or female according to your description, they are simply 'not a human'?

Genetics include both the chromosomes and the SRY gene. The SRY gene has the possibility of detaching from a Y chromosome, as well as the possibility of a detached SRY gene attaching to an X chromosome. So which is the determining factor? The chromosome combination or the SRY gene itself? Also what of non standard combinations such as XXY and XYY and others?

The OP says nothing about how one feels. That is a strawman on your part. I specifically excluded gender from the question. Stick to what is written.
No....I'll stick to the facts and not your continued desperate attempt to try to avoid the facts. Sex and Gender determination is science based. With rare exceptions there are outliers....but the outliers dont change the science and facts. That some people are born with 6 fingers on one hand or half an arm doesnt mean that 'people' arent born with 5 fingers on each hand and 2 arms.

Its amazing that you are so desperate to try to **** up science to get to your ultimate goal of saying "See? Gender can be make believe too!"

So in the cases where the gonads do not develop one way or the other and thus do not produce gametes (yes, yes, I know. Rare occurrence.) How is determination then made?

Not developed doesn't necessarily mean the complete lack of any gonadal tissue, it can also mean underdeveloped.

Anyway, female gonads are internal so undeveloped gonads are often not detected until puberty.

Sexual reproduction is not a determinant of biological sex. So if someone does not classify as male or female according to your description, they are simply 'not a human'?
That's a stretch, especially since male female extends beyond humans.

No....I'll stick to the facts and not your continued desperate attempt to try to avoid the facts. Sex and Gender determination is science based.

I specifically stated that gender was not part of the question. Please refrain from strawman arguments. What facts am I trying to avoid with the poll. Are you claiming that there is not a range of claims out there as to what is the determining factor for biological sex?

With rare exceptions there are outliers....but the outliers dont change the science and facts. That some people are born with 6 fingers on one hand or half an arm doesnt mean that 'people' arent born with 5 fingers on each hand and 2 arms.

Is there a specific designation for the different number of fingers on a person's hand? I was not aware of any. So that doesn't quite parallel. There is however two different designations for sex. I asked for the specific factor or factors in determining which designation goes to a given individual, including for when that individual falls outside the statistical norm.

Its amazing that you are so desperate to try to **** up science to get to your ultimate goal of saying "See? Gender can be make believe too!"

Gender has nothing to do with this particular question. I want to know who is claiming what, and what kind of spread there is on those claims. Gender is a separate issue.

Not developed doesn't necessarily mean the complete lack of any gonadal tissue, it can also mean underdeveloped.

Anyway, female gonads are internal so undeveloped gonads are often not detected until puberty.
Granted. There are also cases where one gonad starts developing one way and the other in the opposite direction, both underdeveloped. The question still remains; what makes the determination for any given person? In those rare cases, what determines male or female?

I specifically stated that gender was not part of the question. Please refrain from strawman arguments. What facts am I trying to avoid with the poll. Are you claiming that there is not a range of claims out there as to what is the determining factor for biological sex?

Is there a specific designation for the different number of fingers on a person's hand? I was not aware of any. So that doesn't quite parallel. There is however two different designations for sex. I asked for the specific factor or factors in determining which designation goes to a given individual, including for when that individual falls outside the statistical norm.

Gender has nothing to do with this particular question. I want to know who is claiming what, and what kind of spread there is on those claims. Gender is a separate issue.
And yet...it is.

Science isnt really a mystery. Men are men. Women are women. The outliers...intersexed people...do not alter the definition of men and women., Neither do feelings. Its ****ing AMAZING in 2022, so many are desperate to try to create subcategories of people to justify an agenda.

I don't know how many times I can remind you, that you are ****ing directly quoting me, and I am not saying the word gender in any of those quotes.

But you just said that the chromosomes were the deciding factor, not the external organs. So which is it? Or do you want to change your answer?
Chromosomes are the deciding factor, barring a genetic aberration.

What? This is absurd. It is specifically biological scientists that are the ones telling us sex is bimodal.
Lol, your citation supports what I just told you. Barring a genetic aberration, sex is binary.

And yet...it is.

Yet what is? There are three paragraphs of different things you could be responding to, so it's not clear what this line is in response to.

Science isnt really a mystery. Men are men. Women are women. The outliers...intersexed people...do not alter the definition of men and women., Neither do feelings. Its ****ing AMAZING in 2022, so many are desperate to try to create subcategories of people to justify an agenda.
What subcategories am I trying to create? So far you are still making strawman arguments. I am not making any categories or sub categories here. I am asking for the claim of each individual responding as to what is the determining factor(s) for sex is, the factor(s) that allow us to label a person as male or female despite any type of outlier they might be. Are you so paranoid that you have to invent arguments for me out of whole cloth?

Chromosomes are the deciding factor, barring a genetic aberration.
So you are saying that chromosomes are the deciding factor unless there is a statistical abnormality, in which case a different factor makes the determination?

Back
Top Bottom