• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Big surprise, but tRump is lying about mandatory courtroom presence.

Showtime586

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
From The Hill:

"Trump, as is often the case, misleads. There really should be no legal obstacle to his giving the trial a pass and hitting the campaign trail, or luxuriating on the golf course at Mar-a-Lago. Trump need merely make a motion under New York Code of Criminal Procedure §340.50 to have the court dispense with the requirement that he be present. And his lawyers know how to make motions."

In addition, if tRump was actually serious about campaigning, why was he present at the E. Jean trial when he didn't have to be?

Simply put, attending the trial gives the "whiner-in-chief" the best opportunity to cry to his adoring base about how mistreated he is.

From The Hill:

"Trump, as is often the case, misleads. There really should be no legal obstacle to his giving the trial a pass and hitting the campaign trail, or luxuriating on the golf course at Mar-a-Lago. Trump need merely make a motion under New York Code of Criminal Procedure §340.50 to have the court dispense with the requirement that he be present. And his lawyers know how to make motions."

In addition, if tRump was actually serious about campaigning, why was he present at the E. Jean trial when he didn't have to be?

Simply put, attending the trial gives the "whiner-in-chief" the best opportunity to cry to his adoring base about how mistreated he is.

Especially when the ersatz gag orders have no teeth whatsoever.

I he says he's attracting all those "criminals" now. lol

From The Hill:

He's mostly upset because he has trouble finding time to golf.

From The Hill:

Not that simple:

2. On motion of a defendant represented by counsel, the court may, in the absence of an objection by the people, issue an order dispensing with the requirement that the defendant be personally present at trial.  Such an order may be made only upon the filing of a written and subscribed statement by the defendant declaring that he waives his right to be personally present at the trial and authorizing his attorney to conduct his defense.

I'm sure 'the people' (prosecution) would object. It's not up to him.

He does it for the same reason he did the covid briefings. Ratings. You don't need to campaign when the media gives you free coverage.
Nobody has learned anything

Not that simple:

2. On motion of a defendant represented by counsel, the court may, in the absence of an objection by the people, issue an order dispensing with the requirement that the defendant be personally present at trial.  Such an order may be made only upon the filing of a written and subscribed statement by the defendant declaring that he waives his right to be personally present at the trial and authorizing his attorney to conduct his defense.

I'm sure 'the people' (prosecution) would object. It's not up to him.

Have they tried? What harm does it do to try and then it is even on record that he tried and was denied, so has to be there?

Motions are not quite that easy, It also has to be granted by the Judge, which Merchan seem disinclined to do.

I think this particular Trial has Trump correct in that statement.

Motions are not quite that easy, It also has to be granted by the Judge, which Merchan seem disinclined to do.

I think this particular Trial has Trump correct in that statement.
While I do think that he wouldn't get excused to campaign, nor should he (there are other times he can do that and he has a cult, plus Biden is the President, so is responsible for a lot more throughout the week than Trump, so this about evens them out), I think it may be possible for special events, since I think someone said he'd miss some event of Barron's, like his graduation or something, although that seems unlikely, since I think most of those are held on weekends so more parents can make it.

Looking into it, it looks like the judge said in regards to the graduation "it depends on how the trial goes", that he's not making a ruling on that at this time, not no.

Last edited:
While I do think that he wouldn't get excused to campaign, nor should he (there are other times he can do that and he has a cult, plus Biden is the President, so is responsible for a lot more throughout the week than Trump, so this about evens them out), I think it may be possible for special events, since I think someone said he'd miss some event of Barron's, like his graduation or something, although that seems unlikely, since I think most of those are held on weekends so more parents can make it.

Looking into it, it looks like the judge said in regards to the graduation "it depends on how the trial goes", that he's not making a ruling on that at this time, not no.
I believe special occasions are a different motion, not as difficult to get. I imagine the Judge is waiting to see how many times Trump will break the gag order.

I believe special occasions are a different motion, not as difficult to get. I imagine the Judge is waiting to see how many times Trump will break the gag order.
Agreed. I do wonder how many people on trial are able to get off from being at a trial for things like a graduation. There are people all over this country who can't get off work to make it to their child's graduation.

I have no problem with the judge turning down his request to be at the SCOTUS case.

Agreed. I do wonder how many people on trial are able to get off from being at a trial for things like a graduation. There are people all over this country who can't get off work to make it to their child's graduation.

I have no problem with the judge turning down his request to be at the SCOTUS case.

Here is what I think Judge Merchan should to.

Issue a written order that the request to suspend court operations for the day is denied as inappropriate. However, the court would be open to another option under New York State Law allowing the defendant to be voluntarily absent from a court proceeding for, in this situation, a specified period of time.

Therefore the defendant must submit a written request to the court to be absent for some or all of the day, and that the defendant understands that he waives the right to appeal the decision of the jury based on his voluntary request to be absent for all or part of the day. (This of course does not waive other reasons for appeal.)

Then require under oath, and with perjury penalties applicable, the defendant answer the following questions:
  1. What was the date, time, and location of the high school graduation of the defendant's son Donald Trump Jr. and did the defendant attend the official ceremony?
  2. What was the date, time, and location of the high school graduation of the defendant's daughter Ivanka Trump and did the defendant attend the official ceremony?
  3. What was the date, time, and location of the high school graduation of the defendant's son Eric Trump and did the defendant attend the official ceremony?
  4. What was the date, time, and location of the high school graduation of the defendant's daughter Tiffany Trump and did the defendant attend the official ceremony?
Upon such a filing of the request with the court I would recommend that Judge Merchan approve the request allowing the defendant to depart court at Noon on May 17th so that he could fly in his private jet to Miami to attend his son Barron's evening graduation ceremony and as a condition of approval the defendant must be physically present for the entire ceremony.

WW

Last edited:
Here is what I think Judge Merchan should to.

Issue a written order that the request to suspends court operations for the day is denied as inappropriate. However, the court would be open to another option under New York State Law allowing the defendant to be voluntarily absent from a court proceeding for, in this situation, a specified period of time.

Therefore the defendant must submit a written request to the court to be absent for some or all of the day, and that the defendant understands that he waives the right to appeal the decision of the jury based on his voluntary request to be absent for all or part of the day. (This of course does not waive other reasons for appeal.)

Then require under oath, and with perjury penalties applicable, the defendant answer the following questions:
  1. What was the date, time, and location of the high school graduation of the defendant's son Donald Trump Jr. and did the defendant attend the official ceremony?
  2. What was the date, time, and location of the high school graduation of the defendant's daughter Ivanka Trump and did the defendant attend the offical ceremony?
  3. What was the date, time, and location of the high school graduation of the defendant's son Eric Trump and did the defendant attend the official ceremony?
  4. What was the date, time, and location of the high school graduation of the defendant's daughter Tiffany Trump and did the defendant attend the official ceremony?
Upon such a filing of the request with the court I would recommend that Judge Merchan approve the request allowing the defendant to depart court at Noon on May 17th so that he could fly in his private jet to Miami to attend his son Barron's evening graduation ceremony.

WW
I agree with at least most of that.

Truth is ever since Super Tuesday Trump has done very little campaigning. He spends all his time ranting on TS. He has Wednesdays and weekends but , other than last Saturday, he has stayed off the campaign trail. I think he also has money problems and he sees the free press time he gets as he enters and leaves the courtroom as his best campaign strategy. After all when he is campaigning he just rants on about the same old, same old anyway.

Trump thinks that him being there will be intimidating to the witnesses.

I'm sure that Stormy might lose her composure when she sees his face and think about his mushroom penis and fear of sharks.

From The Hill:

He's been misleading people about his son's graduation also. He claims the judge has refused to let him out of trial that day. It's a flat out lie.

The judge has not yet ruled on his request.

He does it for the same reason he did the covid briefings. Ratings. You don't need to campaign when the media gives you free coverage.
He speaks to the press every time he can, making wild claims about how awful it is in the courtroom.
If the media would ignore this senile old man, he'd give up and do something else to garner attention.

The trail is his campaign. Arguing he has to be there is part of it. Yes, he'd like to be able to skip it if isn't the most politically adventurous thing for him to do that day, but it's the default mode for his campaign.

The campaign doesn't seem to eager to get him back to his rallies.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Have they tried? What harm does it do to try and then it is even on record that he tried and was denied, so has to be there?
I have no idea. I'm just saying it's not as easy as the OP says and all he needs to do is file a request.

I have no idea. I'm just saying it's not as easy as the OP says and all he needs to do is file a request.
I do agree it isn't that easy. It can be done though and the judge has said that he will consider one such request related to a graduation (possibly another, as one of his lawyers also has a graduation to attend) after seeing how the trial progresses. The graduation seems to be in the evening and Trump has a private jet.

If he hasn't even tried, then is not relevant whether it's easy or not.

If he hasn't even tried, then is not relevant whether it's easy or not.
Are you arguing just to argue?
Cause my statements are relevant to the what's in the OP. Specifically this line: Trump need merely make a motion under New York Code of Criminal Procedure §340.50 to have the court dispense with the requirement that he be present.

tRump's lawyers don't want to file. tRump only wants to claim that he can't campaign. He is campaigning every day after court to a much larger audience.

Back
Top Bottom