• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden: minorities don’t know how to get online

diz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It looks like Biden has a really big issue with a large part of his presidential supporters after saying that Black and Hispanic people haven’t received the COVID-19 vaccine because they don’t know how to get online to schedule their appointments.

This happened a few days back but I was surprised I had not heard about it after so many years of the media pouncing on opportunities to call anyone they could a racist for saying things like this. There were also some comments about 3 out of every 5 commercials on TV having an interracial couple which I’d think the uberwoke would find pretty cringeworthy.

I checked back a few pages and saw nothing about it here, which I guess isn’t surprising I suppose given the lack of coverage it got. This occurred in the same town hall where Biden said there was no vaccine when he took office and said the Chinese treatment of the Uighurs was "just their culture” and I did hear about those, so I guess some people were watching.

With a little googling I did find a couple fox news videos that mentioned it, but to avoid the inevitable “zmfog FOX NEWS!!!!!!” posts that follow posting a story from there I looked bit more until I found the story above.

Interestingly, it’s from “The Source” which describes itself as a "magazine of hip hop culture”. And they managed to get some coverage on it even as they must have been in all hands on deck mode with the Kim/Kanye divorce.

So, my question is: Are the people here who are usually mobilized for social justice OK with this? Is this how they want politician’s (even President’s) comments like this handled by the media?

This happened a few days back but I was surprised I had not heard about it after so many years of the media pouncing on opportunities to call anyone they could a racist for saying things like this. There were also some comments about 3 out of every 5 commercials on TV having an interracial couple which I’d think the uberwoke would find pretty cringeworthy.

I checked back a few pages and saw nothing about it here, which I guess isn’t surprising I suppose given the lack of coverage it got. This occurred in the same town hall where Biden said there was no vaccine when he took office and said the Chinese treatment of the Uighurs was "just their culture” and I did hear about those, so I guess some people were watching.

With a little googling I did find a couple fox news videos that mentioned it, but to avoid the inevitable “zmfog FOX NEWS!!!!!!” posts that follow posting a story from there I looked bit more until I found the story above.

Interestingly, it’s from “The Source” which describes itself as a "magazine of hip hop culture”. And they managed to get some coverage on it even as they must have been in all hands on deck mode with the Kim/Kanye divorce.

So, my question is: Are the people here who are usually mobilized for social justice OK with this? Is this how they want politician’s (even President’s) comments like this handled by the media?

It is plain and simple. Joe Biden just called blacks and browns too stupid to use a computer to get the vaccine. Let me hear you all treat this the same way you did with Trump.

This was identified as an issue by leaders in the Black and Latino communities, so what Biden is saying is accurate.

But experts and leaders in these communities say the data shows that Black and Latino Americans are being vaccinated at lower rates because they face obstacles like language and technology barriers, disparities in access to medical facilities and getting to a site.

Source

Making reference to the fact that communities of color are underserved in broadband access and own less devices to access the internet is this unexpected? Quit trying to say President Biden said poc are not able to make appointments because of lack of intelligence.

This was identified as an issue by leaders in the Black and Latino communities, so what Biden is saying is accurate.

Source
Let's not be obtuse here. Had this been a leading Republican saying exactly the same words it would have been branded as "racism" and just another expression of "white supremacy."

Making reference to the fact that communities of color are underserved in broadband access and own less devices to access the internet is this unexpected? Quit trying to say President Biden said poc are not able to make appointments because of lack of intelligence.
"Don't know how" does not equal "lacks access."

Let's not be obtuse here. Had this been a leading Republican saying exactly the same words it would have been branded as "racism" and just another expression of "white supremacy."

Well, republicans are racist, so they wouldn't care about minorities not getting the vaccine and thus would never have raised this as an issue.

They can't help themselves. It's a defect in the conservative thinking process.

Source

Thank you for agreeing that Joe Biden called minorities stupid and that sentiment is backed up by their own.

Strange. You offer advise in your first sentence, but then immediately violate it.

You're trying to justify a blatantly dishonest attack on Biden by making up more shit about what people you consider political enemies would do supposedly in a counterfactual. Calling that "hyperpartisan idiocy" would insult hyperpartisan idiocy.

Thank you for agreeing that Joe Biden called minorities stupid and that sentiment is backed up by their own.
That's a pretty racist statement.

Full quote:

Biden said:
The other thing we found is — and I’m sorry to go on, but this is really important to me. The other part — portion is, a lot of people don’t know how to register. Not everybody in the community — in the Hispanic and the African American community, particularly in rural areas that are distant and/or inner-city districts — know how to use — know how to get online to determine how to get in line for that COVID vaccination at the Walgreens or at the particular store.

Clearly from his response he didn't say everyone in the Hispanic and African American community doesn't know how to use the internet. The context of the response is an audience question pointing out that less than 3% of African Americans and less than 5% of Hispanics have been vaccinated.

yes, what Biden said is racist and you should call him out on it but of course you won't.
What you said is racist. What Biden said is accurate, but your characterization of it is inaccurate. To say that Blacks and Latinos have trouble accessing information and registration is accurate, to say they are stupid for that reason is something you are saying, not Biden.

He said urban and rural black and hispanic people don't know how to use the internet. How is that "communities of color?" That's everybody.

I know a few elderly people who do not use the internet or have a smart phone. They don't know (use) the internet.

Didn't like the media making issues on some of Trumps statements. I don't care for them making issues on Biden's comment regarding access to the net.

@ Thread OP....Get back with us when you can attribute something to Biden that's indisputably racist like " That judge is unqualified to reside over my court case, simply because he is of Hispanic/Mexican ancestry." This weak sauce crap is just sheer, failed desperation.

🤣

This is the BEST. Leftists have 1-4 years, depending on how long it takes for his brain to finally give out...of playing
"What Joe REALLY meant is........."

🤣

This is the BEST. Leftists have 1-4 years, depending on how long it takes for his brain to finally give out...of playing
"What Joe REALLY meant is........."
Lovely. Another hater dog whisling ill will upon another's health and well being. (n) (n)

Source

regardless of whether it was accurate or not, if a Republican had said it there would be calls for impeachment, resign, demonstrations outside their house, etc.

why didn't he let one of those leaders up there to say it then? why did he say it? this doublespeak is what causes more and more issues.

@ Thread OP....Get back with us when you can attribute something to Biden that's indisputably racist like " That judge is unqualified to reside over my court case, simply because he is of Hispanic/Mexican ancestry." This weak sauce crap is just sheer, failed desperation.
Here you go: 'If you dont know who to vote for then you aint black.' --Racist Joe Biden.

Source

Black and Latino spox have often said that many of their constituents either don't know how to get online or they lack sufficient access to useable broadband coverage. Biden and these other spox are referring to digital deserts, which are similar to food deserts, both of which are issues in low income ethnic communities.
And by the way, plenty of urban areas are digital deserts by sheer dint of unaffordability.

If you're low income and all you have is a subsidized budget cell phone for online access, you're going to burn through the small data allotment in no time flat just trying to get an appointment for a vaccine, or you will burn through your 150-250 monthly voice minutes if you try calling repeatedly, when the main reason you needed a phone like that was to look for work, get gigs, access emergency services or look for any work opportunities you can scrounge up.

It doesn't mean that by virtue of your melanin you lack the intelligence, it means that oftentimes you and your community are underserved.
Just because you know how to look up the occasional cat videos or post FOR SALE items on Craigslist, or catch something funny from WorldStar, doesn't mean you have a lot of experience navigating a health and human services website.

That's like saying a nine year old with his first skateboard is qualified to surf 50 foot waves at Pipeline in Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom