• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden administration freezes new oil and gas drilling leases after court rules against key climate tool

You keep posting memes with factual inaccuracies, rather than your thoughts.

Phase 1, 2, and 3 were complete. Phase 4 was cancelled. A great deal of the project was completed, and is in use. Also, the oil was being sent to Texas where it would be refined by Texas refineries. And yes, reducing supply (or potential supply) does drive up the price.

Mindy Fisher, btw, is a political commentator.
Tar sands oil is the dirtiest and most expensive to produce on the planet and would do little to decrease gasoline prices. The U.S is capable of producing more oil than Saudi Arabia and we are exporting more than we import. That is the problem. A ban on exports of U.S oil would do more to decrease prices than any pipeline.

weak winney reply... too many tears...

Here is one of my thoughts...
Your entire post is full of lies...
Prove me wrong... Never mine...
-peace
You mean, prove Mindy Fisher wrong? Done. See #299.

Does the fact that we were producing more oil than Saudi Arabia before the pandemic make any sense to you? We have been energy self sufficient for nearly a decade. The fact that U.S oil production is off 9% from 2019 is due to a concerted effort to keep prices high as well as shortages caused by the pandemic.

960x0.jpg
your chart shows the US produced more " petroleum products " then the Saudi's ( not crude oil )
YOU do understand the US government says " Petroleum products " are all products made from Crude oil / Natural gas / COAL / and some other things
so the your trying to compare the Saudi's who produce crude oil to our crude oil , Natural gas and coal products

What is crude oil and what are petroleum products?

We call crude oil and petroleum fossil fuels because they are mixtures of hydrocarbons that formed from the remains of animals and plants (diatoms) that lived millions of years ago in a marine environment before the existence of dinosaurs. Over millions of years, the remains of these animals and plants were covered by layers of sand, silt, and rock. Heat and pressure from these layers turned the remains into what we now call crude oil or petroleum. The word petroleum means rock oil or oil from the earth.
and the Saudi's have very little COAL so all they have for Petroleum products are Crude oil and Natural gas and the US has a lot more of each then just about any other country in the world
Have a nice day

weak winney reply... too many tears...
you are really in need of attention... get yourself a pet and
Mindy work for me... she is one of my writers...
-peace
I think that's really something you should address to the mirror. Again - you posted a factually incorrect meme (again). Pointing that out isn't 'winney' [sic].

This is a discussion board. I would welcome any actual thought you would like to share.

your chart shows the US produced more " petroleum products " then the Saudi's ( not crude oil )
YOU do understand the US government says " Petroleum products " are all products made from Crude oil / Natural gas / COAL / and some other things
so the your trying to compare the Saudi's who produce crude oil to our crude oil , Natural gas and coal products

What is crude oil and what are petroleum products?

We call crude oil and petroleum fossil fuels because they are mixtures of hydrocarbons that formed from the remains of animals and plants (diatoms) that lived millions of years ago in a marine environment before the existence of dinosaurs. Over millions of years, the remains of these animals and plants were covered by layers of sand, silt, and rock. Heat and pressure from these layers turned the remains into what we now call crude oil or petroleum. The word petroleum means rock oil or oil from the earth.
and the Saudi's have very little COAL so all they have for Petroleum products are Crude oil and Natural gas and the US has a lot more of each then just about any other country in the world
Have a nice day
Coal is not a petroleum product and the chart shows oil and natural gas separately. We indeed pumped more crude oil out of the ground than the Saudi's and even exported more of it then they did in many months before the pandemic.

The United States is one of the largest crude oil producers

The United States became the world’s top crude oil producer in 2018 and maintained the lead position in 2019 and 2020. U.S. oil refineries obtain crude oil produced in the United States and in other countries. Different types of companies supply crude oil to the world market.

• The top five crude oil producers and their percentage shares of world crude oil production in 2020 were
  • United States15%
  • Russia13%
  • Saudi Arabia12%
  • Iraq6%
  • Canada5%

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/oil-and-petroleum-products/where-our-oil-comes-from.php

Coal is not a petroleum product and the chart shows oil and natural gas separately. We indeed pumped more crude oil out of the ground than the Saudi's and even exported more of it then they did in many months before the pandemic.

The United States is one of the largest crude oil producers

The United States became the world’s top crude oil producer in 2018 and maintained the lead position in 2019 and 2020. U.S. oil refineries obtain crude oil produced in the United States and in other countries. Different types of companies supply crude oil to the world market.

• The top five crude oil producers and their percentage shares of world crude oil production in 2020 were
  • United States15%
  • Russia13%
  • Saudi Arabia12%
  • Iraq6%
  • Canada5%

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/oil-and-petroleum-products/where-our-oil-comes-from.php
well you tell the US Government that Coal is not petroleum
this is from their web site I already posted the link.
Crude oil and other hydrocarbons exist in liquid or gaseous form in underground pools or reservoirs, in tiny spaces within sedimentary rocks, and near the earth's surface in tar (or oil) sands. Petroleum products are fuels made from crude oil and hydrocarbons contained in natural gas. Petroleum products can also be made from coal, natural gas, and biomass
read that last line.
and IF you read the bottom of your chart you will see it says
petroleum includes crude oil condensates and Natural gas plant liquids
MY point is you are including Natural gas and coal products in the US petroleum production and only crude in the Saudi's production because they don't have coal like we do
Have a nice night

If the US government has to choose between "letting Germans freeze in the dark" and "making American pay more for gas", which way to you think it would jump:

[1] under a "Democrat" administration;​
and​
[2] under a "Republican" administration?​

Do you think that the Germans don't already know the answers?
Depends on the polls. What ever favors the present administration, that’s what they’ll do.

A few months ago the American rate of consumption of petroleum products was much lower than it is now.

PS - The US was NEVER "energy independent", all that happened was that for a period it exported more oil than it imported.
Energy moves the military. The more we depend on Russia, the stronger they are. We’re getting weaker all the time. Russia and China are playing the long game.

Does the fact that we were producing more oil than Saudi Arabia before the pandemic make any sense to you? We have been energy self sufficient for nearly a decade. The fact that U.S oil production is off 9% from 2019 is due to a concerted effort to keep prices high as well as shortages caused by the pandemic.

960x0.jpg
No, it makes no difference if we aren't self sufficient. And needing to import oil for our own use is not the self sufficient I asked for.

"I think the point being made, that is being lost, is that ANY stoppage of oil producing/refining BEFORE the US is capable of producing all of what it uses is BAD."
my point was we haven't got to the point where we are capable of producing all of what we use.
and people have been saying we were energy independent and we were and until we can pump another 5 to 8 million barrels more a day to cover what we use we will not be energy independent.
we need to increase our production a lot and our refinery capacity ( build more refineries )
Have a nice afternoon
ok?

Energy moves the military. The more we depend on Russia, the stronger they are. We’re getting weaker all the time. Russia and China are playing the long game.
Would you like to let me know how much "Russian energy" the US military uses?

"Russian oil" accounts for less than 6% of the total US oil consumption. Around 36.2% of American energy consumption comes from petroleum. That reduces the 6% to around 2.2%. The US military gets around 75% of its energy from petroleum. That reduces that 2.2% to around 1.6%. No more than 30% of the US military is "committed" to European defensive tasks, so that reduces that 1.6% to around 0.49%

So, using those numbers, "Russian oil" moves around 0.49% of the US military that is actually committed to European defensive tasks.

"Russian oil" accounts for less than 6% of the total US oil consumption. Around 36.2% of American energy consumption comes from petroleum. That reduces the 6% to around 2.2%. The US military gets around 75% of its energy from petroleum. That reduces that 2.2% to around 1.6%. No more than 30% of the US military is "committed" to European defensive tasks, so that reduces that 1.6% to around 0.49%

So, using those numbers, "Russian oil" moves around 0.49% of the US military that is actually committed to European defensive tasks.
I've heard we give Russia about $700 million a day for energy/oil/petrol. That's a big chunk of change.

There are thousands of locations in the US that oil companies have approval to drill, but haven't yet. Why do we think more approvals are going to lower gas prices, exactly?

I've heard we give Russia about $700 million a day for energy/oil/petrol. That's a big chunk of change.
Well, since the US imports around 662.188 barrels of crude oil and petroleum products a day from Russia and since the price of a barrel of crude oil and petroleum products works out to around $1,057,102.34 a barrel, and since the total value of US imports from Russia is really around 831.19% of the lying $30,760,000,000 a year that the left-wing fascists liars are lyingly telling you that it is, I guess that you heard correctly.

Of course the person you heard it from was a flaming dolt who hadn't the foggiest idea what they were talking about.

Fortunately you never said that you actually believed that BS, because if you had then I'd have had to class you in with the person who told it to you.

There are thousands of locations in the US that oil companies have approval to drill, but haven't yet. Why do we think more approvals are going to lower gas prices, exactly?
IF extraction industry is providing 1,000,000 units per day to the refining industry and the refining industry (which is operating at maximum capacity) produces 900,000 units of refined product per day

AND IF the extraction industry increases production so that it is providing 2,000,000 units per day to the refining industry

THEN the output of the refining industry will (PICK ONE ONLY)

[1] ___ increase to 1,800,000 units per day;​
[2] ___ increase, but by less than 900,000 units per day;​
[3] ___ stay the same;​
[4] ___ decrease.​

IF extraction industry is providing 1,000,000 units per day to the refining industry and the refining industry (which is operating at maximum capacity) produces 900,000 units of refined product per day

AND IF the extraction industry increases production so that it is providing 2,000,000 units per day to the refining industry

THEN the output of the refining industry will (PICK ONE ONLY)

[1] ___ increase to 1,800,000 units per day;​
[2] ___ increase, but by less than 900,000 units per day;​
[3] ___ stay the same;​
[4] ___ decrease.​
Why wont Biden wave a magic wand and create another refinery or three!?

"Oil and gas are responsible for more than 60% of Russia's exports and provide more than 30% of the country's gross domestic product (GDP). The effect of the 2014 oil price collapse on Russia's economy was fast and devastating. Between June and December 2014, the Russian ruble declined in value by 59% relative to the U.S. dollar."
" About half of Russia’s exported oil – roughly 2.5 million barrels per day – is shipped to European countries, including Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Finland, Lithuania, Greece, Romania and Bulgaria. Nearly one-third of it arrives in Europe via the Druzhba Pipeline through Belarus."
"The United States became a net annual petroleum exporter in 2020 In 2020, the United States exported about 8.51 MMb/d and imported about 7.86 MMb/d of petroleum 1, making the United States a net annual petroleum exporter for the first time since at least 1949.
"Exports The top exports of Canada are Crude Petroleum ($67.8B), Cars ($40.9B), Gold ($14.6B), Refined Petroleum ($12.3B), and Vehicle Parts ($10.8B), exporting mostly to United States ($314B), China ($18.5B), United Kingdom ($13.8B), Japan ($9.92B), and Mexico ($6.18B)

The point I was making, was NATO can work to cripple Putin's war machine by hitting his GDP, although it could be construed as an oil embargo, which has triggered wars before. The weakening of US oil production isn't Putin. We're doing that to ourselves. We went from "Net oil exporter" and low gas prices, to begging OPEC, and rocketing gas prices. Germany has made their country energy dependent and are now in a precarious position. Joe Biden is following suit. NATO countries funding a war criminal is foolish and fool hardy. JMHO

Well, since the US imports around 662.188 barrels of crude oil and petroleum products a day from Russia and since the price of a barrel of crude oil and petroleum products works out to around $1,057,102.34 a barrel, and since the total value of US imports from Russia is really around 831.19% of the lying $30,760,000,000 a year that the left-wing fascists liars are lyingly telling you that it is, I guess that you heard correctly.

Of course the person you heard it from was a flaming dolt who hadn't the foggiest idea what they were talking about.

Fortunately you never said that you actually believed that BS, because if you had then I'd have had to class you in with the person who told it to you.
Weird, right?

[IRRELEVANT DISTRACTION OMITTED]
The point I was making, was NATO can work to cripple Putin's war machine by hitting his GDP, although it could be construed as an oil embargo, which has triggered wars before.
That point is what is known as a "blinding flash of the obvious".

Part of the problem would be to replace the petroleum products that the European countries currently get from Russia. If the US government expects that the European governments are going to let their citizens freeze in the dark while the US not only doesn't suffer but rakes in huge profiteering profits, then the US government is "slightly" incorrect.
The weakening of US oil production isn't Putin. We're doing that to ourselves. We went from "Net oil exporter" and low gas prices, to begging OPEC, and rocketing gas prices.
Please point out when, between 1950 and 2020, the US went from a "Net Oil Importer" to being a "Net Oil Exporter"

US NET OIL IMPORTS.JPG

Germany has made their country energy dependent and are now in a precarious position. Joe Biden is following suit. NATO countries funding a war criminal is foolish and fool hardy. JMHO
The US economy is also "foreign energy dependent". The difference is that the people that the US economy depends on for its continued prosperity are a whole lot more "nice guys" than the Russians are.

Weird, right?
There are a whole lot of people out there who are incapable of doing the type of basic arithmetic that children used to be expected to have mastered BEFORE they graduated from Grade Six.

Back
Top Bottom