• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bhopal

Most americans won't know where Bhopal is,there Geography is not the greatest.

You have some nerve to trash the intellect of others.

You have some nerve to trash the intellect of others.

I nevers said my speeling was great ! have you googled Bhopal yet,it makes the BP oil leak smalltime.

Justice for the people of BHopal !

You're about 20 years late, but thanks for coming. The shame is that people of the youtube variety would use Bhopal as anti-US propaganda. I mean, would the OP even exist if not to compare the tragedy to BP?

I think that without the BP angle, the OP would still not have googled Bhopal. And the tragedy is not comparable, in human lives. So just stop.

If you want to talk about Bhopal, let's. But don't cheapen that tragedy with your nationalist crap.

Last edited:
Wait, people have stronger opinions about things that are STILL HAPPENING than they do about things 25 years ago? I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you!

Wait, people have stronger opinions about things that are STILL HAPPENING than they do about things 25 years ago? I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you!

Not only that, but people have a stronger reaction to things that affect THEM than they do to things that happen to strangers on the other side of the planet? Gasp! What horrible people we are.

Most americans won't know where Bhopal is,there Geography is not the greatest.

I definitely didn't know where Bhopal was. I wonder though, how many people in India (or any other country really) could tell me where Sacramento or Raleigh (Similarly sized cities when compared to the population of the country, and state capitals as well) are?

Last edited:
Not only that, but people have a stronger reaction to things that affect THEM than they do to things that happen to strangers on the other side of the planet? Gasp! What horrible people we are.

I definitely didn't know where Bhopal was. I wonder though, how many people in India (or any other country really) could tell me where Sacramento or Raleigh (Similarly sized cities when compared to the population of the country, and state capitals as well) are?

The vast majority of people in India live in abject poverty,they don't own TVs and have internet access,infact huge numbers are illieterate,so you are right when you say most people in India couldn't tell you where Sacremento or Rayleigh are.

But these people are still waiting for "true justice" 25 years after the disaster !

The vast majority of people in India live in abject poverty,they don't own TVs and have internet access,infact huge numbers are illieterate,so you are right when you say most people in India couldn't tell you where Sacremento or Rayleigh are.

But these people are still waiting for "true justice" 25 years after the disaster !

That's actually more a problem of the Indian justice system. The case took 25 years to get through the courts and the company involved received the maximum possible fine (which was fairly low) and the managers received two years in jail a piece. The problem is your court system is incredibly backed up (in large part due to a lack of judges, India has about one tenth the number of judges per capita as the US) and if the penalties were too light then that your parliament's responsibility to handle it. As for the US not condemning what happened, the issue happened in India and its India's responsibility to handle it. The US shouldn't get pissy at Britain for what happened with BP because it happened in US jurisdiction and it was the US's responsibility to enforce regulations not the UK. The same applies to Bhopal, it was India's job to enforce any regulations they had for the plant and to punish any wrong doing. Complaining about the US's response to the disaster is a little misguided.

That's actually more a problem of the Indian justice system. The case took 25 years to get through the courts and the company involved received the maximum possible fine (which was fairly low) and the managers received two years in jail a piece. The problem is your court system is incredibly backed up (in large part due to a lack of judges, India has about one tenth the number of judges per capita as the US) and if the penalties were too light then that your parliament's responsibility to handle it. As for the US not condemning what happened, the issue happened in India and its India's responsibility to handle it. The US shouldn't get pissy at Britain for what happened with BP because it happened in US jurisdiction and it was the US's responsibility to enforce regulations not the UK. The same applies to Bhopal, it was India's job to enforce any regulations they had for the plant and to punish any wrong doing. Complaining about the US's response to the disaster is a little misguided.

Bhopal disaster: Unfinished business | Editorial | Comment is free | The Guardian

Back
Top Bottom