• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) - Anyone know of this?

JBG

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
This is a somewhat difficult post to write, and I am not sure it is in the right place. I am informed that most of the cases of this arise at over age 65, so I picked Retirement. On January 20, 2024 I suffered a significant attack of Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (embedded link). When I woke up severely dizzy around 4:30 a.m., after going to the restroom I took my temperature (normal) and my blood pressure (also normal, but when I had something like this years ago it had spiked.

I saw my internist the following Tuesday, and a neurologist a week later. Since then , I have been recovering, with some issues. It is bad enough that I canceled a pending trip to Israel in March.

Anyone hear of this?

This is a somewhat difficult post to write, and I am not sure it is in the right place. I am informed that most of the cases of this arise at over age 65, so I picked Retirement. On January 20, 2024 I suffered a significant attack of Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (embedded link). When I woke up severely dizzy around 4:30 a.m., after going to the restroom I took my temperature (normal) and my blood pressure (also normal, but when I had something like this years ago it had spiked.

I saw my internist the following Tuesday, and a neurologist a week later. Since then , I have been recovering, with some issues. It is bad enough that I canceled a pending trip to Israel in March.

Anyone hear of this?
Never heard of it but it does explain some of the syptoms I've been having. Thought it was due to some meds and aging! Not to make light of it it but I've learned to deal with it. ☮️

Yeah.. About 2 months ago I had something similar, during the middle of the night..I was dizzy, wandering around the house.. Confused.. Wife though I was having a stroke... I went to the doctor, they ran a ton of tests... All tests were normal.. Finally he just said, don't drink as much alcohol.. He had a name for it.. Forgot the name... I did cut back.. I haven't had any episodes since..

Yes. I feel for you, vertigo is so awful and scary. Basically, BPPV is crystals that get loose in your head and float around causing vertigo. There’s exercises that can be done to stop the crystals from floating.

I’ve been having issues with vertigo since around 2014. My first vertigo attack I was in my car and didn’t know what it was, I thought I was having a stroke. Had to call 911 from my car. In the hospital they said it was BPPV, gave me exercises. The vertigo kept coming, then it was diagnosed not BPPV but Ménière’s disease. The difference between the two is it’s not crystals and it affects the ears, I developed tinnitus and hearing loss along with the vertigo. Some vertigo attacks were so bad that I to stay perfectly still with my eyes focused on one thing, closing my eyes made it even worse and the slightest movement sent me into uncontrollable vomiting.

I wish you well, did they give you exercises to do?

Last edited:
Yes. I feel for you, vertigo is so awful and scary. Basically, BPPV is crystals that get loose in your head and float around causing vertigo. There’s exercises that can be done to stop the crystals from floating.

I’ve been having issues with vertigo since around 2014. My first vertigo attack I was in my car and didn’t know what it was, I thought I was having a stroke. Had to call 911 from my car. In the hospital they said it was BPPV, gave me exercises. The vertigo kept coming, then it was diagnosed not BPPV but Ménière’s disease. The difference between the two is it’s not crystals and it affects the ears, I developed tinnitus and hearing loss along with the vertigo. Some vertigo attacks were so bad that I to stay perfectly still with my eyes focused on one thing, closing my eyes made it even worse and the slightest movement sent me into uncontrollable vomiting.

I wish you well, did they give you exercises to do?
Yes. I plan to start them tomorrow, after my meeting of Procrastinator's Anonymous.

Yes. If you have BPPV you may want to see an ENT that specializes in balance disorders. One of the more common treatments in the Epley Maneuver or Canalith Repositioning. As someone eluded to earlier BPPV is caused by one or a few otoliths detaching from their usual location and starting to travel to other spots in your vestibular canals. They then cause errant nerve impulses from the tissues they contact. The impulses from one ear and not the other is what causes you to feel dizzy. The Epley is designed to motivate those crystals to return to where there are supposed to be or at least to a position that isn't aggravating. And hopefully over time they will resorb and all will feel well.

I don’t know if I have that, but I have wicked bad vertigo. I can’t lay flat on my back without the room spinning. I had an episode so bad a couple of years ago that I was taken to the er. Puking everywhere. Stayed with me for a long time. At the time, I didn’t know that you could lean forward and look down between your knees, and the crystals would realign.

Works every time for me.

Yes. If you have BPPV you may want to see an ENT that specializes in balance disorders. One of the more common treatments in the Epley Maneuver or Canalith Repositioning. As someone eluded to earlier BPPV is caused by one or a few otoliths detaching from their usual location and starting to travel to other spots in your vestibular canals. They then cause errant nerve impulses from the tissues they contact. The impulses from one ear and not the other is what causes you to feel dizzy. The Epley is designed to motivate those crystals to return to where there are supposed to be or at least to a position that isn't aggravating. And hopefully over time they will resorb and all will feel well.
Thanks

I don’t know if I have that, but I have wicked bad vertigo. I can’t lay flat on my back without the room spinning. I had an episode so bad a couple of years ago that I was taken to the er. Puking everywhere. Stayed with me for a long time. At the time, I didn’t know that you could lean forward and look down between your knees, and the crystals would realign.

Works every time for me.
Thanks and I hope you're doing better now.

Thanks and I hope you're doing better now.

Thanks! I’m ok. I know how to manage it now. I have limitations, like being unable to sleep on my back, and I can’t flip-flop in the bed too fast (have to turn over slowly), but if I feel it coming on, I know how to stop it. ☕

My Dad has that. I think it's common in older people. He gets dizzy when he gets out of bed. He has a certain routine when getting up. Puts his feet on the floor and sits on the bed and then slowly turns his head to the right and then to the left and then he has to sit there for a couple minutes. He says it helps but he still deals with a little dizziness when he stands up.

Anyone hear of this?
Hey vertigo a few years back cured it with a flip your head back maneuver

Back
Top Bottom