• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Being LGBT is Not a Sin

This was not my point at all. My point is that the subject of this thread is whether or not LGBTQ is a sin. That is a theological/religious matter, not a political statement. Nevertheless, there is a political agenda at play to tell religions what to believe, what is or is not a sin.
There is also a political agenda at play by christians to get their belief in sins to be made into law. This is not a one way street.

The theological/religious matter that should be discussed here is do you have an obligation to push your religious view of sin on others. The only political agenda from that is a position of you do not have any right to force your belief in sin into the law of the land.

Nevertheless, there is a political agenda at play to tell religions what to believe, what is or is not a sin.
as a Christian ive never experienced that in anyway whatsoever
whos and what political agenda are you speaking of, factual examples please

There is also a political agenda at play by christians to get their belief in sins to be made into law. This is not a one way street.
Christian extremists and nutters, not normal Christians

I'm sorry, but until 1963 the American public school system was not terrible and it seems to me that few children got shot while attending. We had short readings (opening exercises) usually from the Old Testament, and everyone loved GOD BLESS AMERICA or AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL or COLUMBIA or the Star SPANGLED BANNER. We celebrated the arrival of the Pilgrims and Thanksgiving. None of the kids believed that the pilgrims arrived to taste the turkey. At Christmas we had a Christmas Party. We knew Easter was coming. None of the children felt slighted or left out. As for politics in churches, I feel you will have to speak to Black churches and the Democratic Party about that. They do it and it has been what they do since the freeing of the slaves. The only problematic issues I see are those who would try to devise various ways to instigate issues about gender and sexual orientation. Such things we never spoke about, didn't know about, and didn't care about.
Why doesnt your omnipotent god stop the shootings? If he is powerful enough to create the universe and everything in it then certainly he can stop a mass shooting incident at the elementary or high school. You claim that he is omniscient so he knows that it is going to happen but he doesnt stop it. That does sound like a moral god to me.

Pray has never proven effective in stopping shootings in a church or disease.

So what should some use to live his life by?
The concept of morality isn't in an way religious or do you believe that religious people cannot be immoral because they believe in a god? Which protests sect of Christianity gets to decide what is moral and what is immoral, or is it just your sect because that is what you believe, so you get to make the decision that everyone that doesn't believe the w same way that you do is automatically immoral?

Can other protestant sects use the coercive power of the state to force you to convert and obey their beliefs or do you want to support the separation of church and sate as the framers demanded and keep religious between you and your church alone so others have equal rights to believe or not to believe and live as they choose, as well; as their equal constitutional rights/freedoms? Do you see how this could end very badly if the state can force you to obey another religion and crimaiolioze or even ban your religion because another sect or even another religion gains political power?

Jesus taught the golden rule in both Matthew 7:12 and Luke 6:31, as well as Matthew 25:40, but his followers have made a very concerted effort to ignore that core teachings. Why do I as an atheist need to remind of of those teachings, or is there an exemption for your church?

Actually, religion is the single greatest obstacle to critical thought. Religion teaches people to accept dogma without question, to believe in things based purely on faith, without a shred of logic to back them up. I too wish for all students to have the skill of discernment. But Christianity is filled with bad ideas that do not stand up to scrutiny.
No, people who don't wish to hear any mention pf GOD or the Bible are THE GREATEST OBSTACLE to critical thought because they strive to prevent such discussions where it counts ----- in SCHOOL. Children obey your parents, is hardly a bad idea. Point out a bad idea that is promoted in the Bible!

Democrats: "Let's vote on the 10 Commandments. Pretty sure we can weed out a few. While we are at it, let's vote if there is a GOD or not..."
I vote 'nay' to both the commandments and God! Next!
So what should some use to live his life by?
Logic, reason, and common sense. It's worked quite well for me.

No, people who don't wish to hear any mention pf GOD or the Bible are THE GREATEST OBSTACLE to critical thought because they strive to prevent such discussions where it counts ----- in SCHOOL. Children obey your parents, is hardly a bad idea. Point out a bad idea that is promoted in the Bible!
Public schools aren't your church's recruiting ground unless the state can force the congregants of your church to listen to the demands of other religions as well as a 3-hour lecture on critical thinking and logic on Sunday morning with the doors locked so you cannot leave.

I'm sorry, but until 1963 the American public school system was not terrible and it seems to me that few children got shot while attending. We had short readings (opening exercises) usually from the Old Testament, and everyone loved GOD BLESS AMERICA or AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL or COLUMBIA or the Star SPANGLED BANNER. We celebrated the arrival of the Pilgrims and Thanksgiving. None of the kids believed that the pilgrims arrived to taste the turkey. At Christmas we had a Christmas Party. We knew Easter was coming. None of the children felt slighted or left out. As for politics in churches, I feel you will have to speak to Black churches and the Democratic Party about that. They do it and it has been what they do since the freeing of the slaves. The only problematic issues I see are those who would try to devise various ways to instigate issues about gender and sexual orientation. Such things we never spoke about, didn't know about, and didn't care about.
LittleNipper:

The American Education System prior to 1963 had lots of very serious problems. Here is a brief history of American education which illustrates the many problems and some solutions it faced over four and a half centuries:

The signing of the Johnson Era Vocational Educational Act in 1963 and the Elementaty and Secondary Education Act in 1965 were need to sort out the mess that American Public Education had fallen into first during the Great Depression and WWII and later in the late 1940's and 1950's. Saying prayers and learning by rote memory were not avenues to excellent education, they were obstacles to it.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Genocide, damning good people to hell, taking women and children as sex slaves, and killing people who don't obey God, just to name a few.

< Point out a bad idea that is promoted in the Bible!
1) Stoning disobedient children to death. - 2) Killing all first borns in Egypt because of the actions of one adult Egyptian Pharaoh - 3) Drowning innocent little children and babies in a Great Flood -

The theological/religious matter that should be discussed here is do you have an obligation to push your religious view of sin on others. The only political agenda from that is a position of you do not have any right to force your belief in sin into the law of the land.
People can vote for whatever they want, based on whatever religious, moral, ethical views or whatever greedy, selfish, evil impulses they want. All of our laws are based on religious/moral/ethical values - you can't really separate them. It's a question of what the culture as a whole accepts as their values, and votes for. In 2009 Barack Obama said that marriage should be between a man and a woman. That was the accepted cultural norm at the time (and for millennia before that), and that was not that long ago.

Any church where Progressive values have influenced the teaching is an example. Any church that teaches homosexuality is not a sin would be an example. That is not to say LGBTQ people are not accepted, but the Word of God should not be corrupted because of current political fashions, and the decay of morality in the country.

Any church where Progressive values have influenced the teaching is an example.
Any church that teaches homosexuality is not a sin would be an example. That is not to say LGBTQ people are not accepted, but the Word of God should not be corrupted because of current political fashions, and the decay of morality in the country.
nothing you posted answers my questions, im not interested in your feelings and claims asking for facts that support and make your statement true.
so here we are in the someplace AGAIN
whos and what political agenda are you speaking of, factual examples, please

whos and what political agenda are you speaking of, factual examples, please
Let me get this straight. You are a Christian, and you are unaware of any church anywhere that teaches that homosexuality is not sinful?

Let me get this straight. You are a Christian, and you are unaware of any church anywhere that teaches that homosexuality is not sinful?
LMAO hey look another delicious dodge, deflection and retarded strawman
are you trying to make your posts look this dishonest, stupid and lack that much integrity or are you unaware

so once again here we are in the same spot
we are still waiting for your answer, whos and what political agenda are you speaking of, factual examples, please
😁🍿

who bets my very simple question is dodged, deflected and run from again

LMAO hey look another delicious dodge, deflection and retarded strawman
are you trying to make your posts look this dishonest, stupid and lack that much integrity or are you unaware

so once again here we are in the same spot
we are still waiting for your answer, whos and what political agenda are you speaking of, factual examples, please
😁🍿

You didn't answer my question.

You didn't answer my question.
LMAO sweet irony YOU are the one not answering, so ill ask you for the fourth time bwhwhwhw

😁🍿

1) Stoning disobedient children to death. - 2) Killing all first borns in Egypt because of the actions of one adult Egyptian Pharaoh - 3) Drowning innocent little children and babies in a Great Flood -
There are far worse things than death. Living a long life and then ending up in HELL for all eternity is the worst thing I can imagine. I bet you believe in ABORTION ---- so how do you live with such hypocritical views?

There are far worse things than death. Living a long life and then ending up in HELL for all eternity is the worst thing I can imagine. I bet you believe in ABORTION ---- so how do you live with such hypocritical views?
What is "hypocritical" about my "views"? I bet you "believe in ABORTION" also. Why? Because "ABORTION" is an actual thing. Correct?

It is all rebranding.

Like Lesbian Conservative Social Justice Warrior.

LMAO sweet irony YOU are the one not answering, so ill ask you for the fourth time bwhwhwhw
Answer my question, and I'll answer yours, horse master.

Answer my question, and I'll answer yours, horse master.
CHOOOCHOOO!!
funny-machinist-with-red-train-cartoon-vector-26957245.jpg
and the dodge train continues, thats not how this works
YOU made a statement and now its YOUR job to back your BS claim up, but you wont cause you cant LMAO

maybe you need a reminder, lets reflect back where the conversation started and your posts have been desperately falling, deflecting and dodging ever sense

Nevertheless, there is a political agenda at play to tell religions what to believe, what is or is not a sin.

so once again we are in the same spot, waiting for you to answer, please let us know when you can, thanks!
😂🍿

People can vote for whatever they want, based on whatever religious, moral, ethical views or whatever greedy, selfish, evil impulses they want. All of our laws are based on religious/moral/ethical values - you can't really separate them. It's a question of what the culture as a whole accepts as their values, and votes for. In 2009 Barack Obama said that marriage should be between a man and a woman. That was the accepted cultural norm at the time (and for millennia before that), and that was not that long ago.

Any church where Progressive values have influenced the teaching is an example. Any church that teaches homosexuality is not a sin would be an example. That is not to say LGBTQ people are not accepted, but the Word of God should not be corrupted because of current political fashions, and the decay of morality in the country.
The part in bold is the problem. Laws are based on ridiculous concepts such as religion rather than being well thought out.

Back
Top Bottom