• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Behold, the six types of atheists

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Behold, the six types of atheists – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

(CNN) – How many ways are there to disbelieve in God?

At least six, according to a new study.

Two researchers at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga found that atheists and agnostics run the range from vocally anti-religious activists to nonbelievers who nonetheless observe some religious traditions.

“The main observation is that nonbelief is an ontologically diverse community,” write doctoral students Christopher Silver and Thomas Coleman.

"In 30 years, we may be looking at a typology of 32 types.”

Seems like a silly "study" to me.

I thought Atheism wasn't a religion, so why is this a religious discussion?

It fits because they are making the comparison of atheist being agnostic. Which it isn't.

Cool, I'm combined non-theist and ritual atheist. Now that I'm categorised I feel so much more secure in my lack of belief.

Someone already posted this. The only reason why you think it's silly is because you just assume all atheists are the same, therefore, you don't want them to be taken seriously enough to be analyzed and defined. Defining them gives prevalence to the general grouping and will guide people to take them more seriously and others will realize they identify with them.

Yes, that's horrifying. (heavy sarcasm)

It fits because they are making the comparison of atheist being agnostic. Which it isn't.

Well, they certainly aren't mutually exclusive either. You can be an agnostic atheist or even an agnostic theist. But I agree they didn't use the term properly in the article.

The only reason why you think it's silly is because you just assume all atheists are the same, therefore, you don't want them to be taken seriously enough to be analyzed and defined.

Have I said that somewhere before? Because I surely don't think I have.

I assume each and every atheist is as individualized as their personalities are.

I'm not sure at all why they'd need categorization to be taken seriously?

I myself am and agnostic/atheist.

I surely don't feel a need to be a part of a category.

Well, they certainly aren't mutually exclusive either. You can be an agnostic atheist or even an agnostic theist. But I agree they didn't use the term properly in the article.

No, they cannot be an agnostic atheist. Atheist is a specific belief that there is no God. Agnostic is not confirming there is no god.

definition of agnostic:

1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

2: a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>

If you hold a belief that there is no God, you are an atheist.

Have I said that somewhere before? Because I surely don't think I have.

I assume each and every atheist is as individualized as their personalities are.

I'm not sure at all why they'd need categorization to be taken seriously?

I myself am and agnostic/atheist.

I surely don't feel a need to be a part of a category.

They research over 1,000 people's differing views and defined groups based on a few similar views they held.

Why is that silly? Because you don't want to be part of a group? Ok, then, don't identify yourself as any of the above.

No, they cannot be an agnostic atheist. Atheist is a specific belief that there is no God. Agnostic is not confirming there is no god.

definition of agnostic:

In theology and philosophy theism and atheism speak to belief whereas gnosticism and agnosticism speak to knowledge. For example, if you don't believe in a god but admit you don't KNOW for certain that one exists or not, you are an agnostic atheist. If you believe in God and claim to KNOW God exists, perhaps through some personal revelation, you are a gnostic theist.

Dictionaries are fine for broad lay definitions, but when actually discussing religion or philosophy, or any topic in depth, encyclopedias are best.

They research over 1,000 people's differing views and defined groups based on a few similar views they held.

Why is that silly? Because you don't want to be part of a group? Ok, then, don't identify yourself as any of the above.

Silver and Coleman derived their six types of nonbelievers from 59 interviews. We're pretty sure we've spotted all six in our comments section.

Why would you decide to pigeon hole me almost immediately after making a simple post?

In theology and philosophy theism and atheism speak to belief whereas gnosticism and agnosticism speak to knowledge. For example, if you don't believe in a god but admit you don't KNOW for certain that one exists or not, you are an agnostic atheist. If you believe in God and claim to KNOW God exists, perhaps through some personal revelation, you are a gnostic theist.

Dictionaries are fine for broad lay definitions, but when actually discussing religion or philosophy, or any topic in depth, encyclopedias are best.

Well philosophically you can pretty much argue anything, however, words do in fact have meaning and atheist and agnostic are mutually exclusive. I have not the desire to argue with you on your belief, but in language terms you are wrong.

agnostic-atheist

I really have no clue one way or the other what may or may not be beyond our understanding of reality, but I do tend to lean towards the idea that there is no "god".

Especially not the "god" defined by any of the interpretations of the Bible.

I don't believe there's a "god", but I'm open to debate about it.

That's my definition and I'm sticking to it.

If I had to chose I think I would qualify as number 6, ritual atheist on the list. I like to read the historical aspects of religions and finding the similarities. When I was younger I was a Job's Daughter and enjoyed going to the Masonic Temple and participating in the rituals and community spirit. Anyway, I grew up in Utah so I'm kinda of used to living in a theological state which is kind of unique in the US I suppose. But Mormons do have an interesting and evolving history and I kinda like that about them. Utah is not for everybody, thats for sure....but it sure is beautiful here and I do have my atheist friends and family to hang out with, so all is well in the land of Zion.

some atheists dont believe in god and holy books because they find it irrational to believe in god in holy books because of mythological structure of these books and insufficient statements made in them . they claim religion conflicts with scientific facts.

but they are not scientific books and cant be supposed to contain scientific explanations

l know some verses in holy books seem to contradict each other but lets not take them literally in order not to miss its real meaning build on the basis of the unity of god and the resurrection

another type of atheist insists that there is no evidence that proves the existence of god

maybe they forget it is belief,not science.they are smart enough to be atheist but forget their ability to think analytically

they need to read between the lines.otheerwise they shouldnt criticize bigoted believers for not using their mind :lol:

some atheists just dont feel god by heart ,they are mostly emotional and so they quit their religion especially after experiencing some disappointments in life ,they think god doesnt like them

or some of them just want to marginalize themselves duing their maturation process

l know they will see it and just say " no we just used our minds "

they are arrogant types:lol:

but we are ignorant

l havent mentioned militant type yet :mrgreen:

Last edited:

definition of agnostic:

No, agnostics say you can hold no knowledge of gods, which are different than beliefs. You can be an agnostic atheist. If you hold the belief that there is no god, you are indeed an atheist. If you hold that belief and claim that you can have no knowledge of gods, then you are an agnostic atheist.

Well philosophically you can pretty much argue anything, however, words do in fact have meaning and atheist and agnostic are mutually exclusive. I have not the desire to argue with you on your belief, but in language terms you are wrong.

No, in language terms you are wrong. Theism/atheism refers to belief. Agnostic/Gnostic refers to knowledge. Those are the definitions.

the·ism
[thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation (distinguished from deism ).
belief in the existence of a god or gods (opposed to atheism ).

gnos·tic
[nos-tik] Show IPA
adjective Also, gnos·ti·cal.
pertaining to knowledge.
possessing knowledge, especially esoteric knowledge of spiritual matters.
( initial capital letter ) pertaining to or characteristic of the Gnostics.
noun
( initial capital letter ) a member of any of certain sects among the early Christians who claimed to have superior knowledge of spiritual matters, and explained the world as created by powers or agencies arising as emanations from the Godhead.

English....when you claim knowledge of it, it's good to have knowledge of it.

Six categories seems a bit of a stretch to me. I don't see that much of a difference between the activist and anti-theist, or between the seeker-agnostic and ritual atheist.

Myself, I fit pretty firmly in the non-theist category, with maybe a little bit of seeker-agnostic. I don't believe in god (though I'm willing to admit I could be wrong about that) but I don't really speak out for atheism or against religion. I'm a big believer in keeping your beliefs to yourself.

Back
Top Bottom