• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bedtime reading could disadvantage other children, academic says

You really don't know people that employ people full time in their homes or to drive them?
But then you do pay the part time jobbers you have at least the $20 plus social dues and all, I hope.

That sounds fine. Just like any good kindergarten only at home.

Not a ringing endorsement.*

*See "Greek History."

Another idea is that you instead could see it is game their parents can of course be coaches to their children (for exampe reading bedtime stories) but at the same time society see to that the game is fair. For example good public school for every child, free healtcare for children and like in my country Sweden also free universitys. Of course that means higher taxes but at the same time you get a larger degree of social mobility.

Like father, not like son | The Economist

To the bolded! Yep, but Americas still the greatest country that ever was.

So because there are some parents that are terrible and don't care about their children, all parents should purposely not help tap into their child's potential. Makes sense.

You really don't know people that employ people full time in their homes or to drive them?
But then you do pay the part time jobbers you have at least the $20 plus social dues and all, I hope.

When you demonstrate that you actually understood what I wrote (instead of responding with something I never said or implied), I would try to answer you.

And this guy is an "academic"!

There are alot of people that claim that they are 'academics' or have higher degrees. And then we see what they write or conclude. Not exactly 'critical thinking.'

Just see my signature below, regarding bullets....the person claimed to have a degree in English and working on several other higher degrees. :doh And later defended the statement fiercely.

But I find the OP article hard to take seriously....not sure it was written as such!

Re: Stop reading to your child cuz it's not fair to disadvantaged children... WTF??

Not surprisingly, that is not at all what the people are saying. In fact they say the opposite. Really easy to find these things out just by reading the actual source.

Actually, it is what the article is saying. It is saying that reading to your child gives them an unfair advantage over the kids who are not read to.

Re: Stop reading to your child cuz it's not fair to disadvantaged children... WTF??

The "philosopher" who is puking up this crap appears to be working off the assumption that social inequality is a bad thing.

Actually, it is what the article is saying. It is saying that reading to your child gives them an unfair advantage over the kids who are not read to.

The article claims that is what the people in the ABC article said. It is not.

The "philosopher" who is puking up this crap appears to be working off the assumption that social inequality is a bad thing.

To an extent, yes. However, they are accurate when they say that reading to a child tends to have a dramatic impact on the child's abilities, something they in fact encourage parents to do.

I see you avoided all the real problems that has caused no books in poor households. Failed Liberalism.

I have offered a proposal to address the problem. You have not.

People living in poverty have access to free books through schools and libraries. The problem isn't that they can't get the books --- it's that some parents don't give a damn about their kids having books at home.

Giving kids free books solves both problems--no books and parents not willing or able to get books.

One has to wonder if Mr. Gelonesi read the classic short story Harrison Bergeron, and completely misunderstood the point of it. Perhaps his parents should have read him this story before bedtime, when he was a child, and explained it to him. How sad that he had to grow up without that advantage.

Last edited:

Yes it is stupid. That explains why no one has advocated for a ban on story telling

Giving kids free books solves both problems--no books and parents not willing or able to get books.

You can get books very cheap at yard sales and used bookstores or get them for free from friends, family, and even some charities. Someone that can't pay a quarter for a kids book at a yards sale has serious money problems.

I see no one on either side of the fence supporting this.

USC and many of our other conservative posters will blame the liberals for anything.

You can get books very cheap at yard sales and used bookstores or get them for free from friends, family, and even some charities. Someone that can't pay a quarter for a kids book at a yards sale has serious money problems.

A lot of Americans have serious money problems.

Headline: Reading to your children gives them an advantage

My Reaction: THAT'S THE POINT! It just happens to be fun, too.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…