• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beauty and the Beast's 'exclusively gay moment'

Or divorce themselves. You know i think i was about 6 when i figured out what kind of act had to be done for me to exist. These "think of the children" types never give a **** about nor respect the children, but rather just use them as a shield for their own discomfort

Yea, I completely agree.

It's a very disingenuous approach.

Lets remake Mary Poppins gay

So tell me why put gay into this movie when its not in the org story

Gay people exist, get over it. They are not gonna make you gay

It does seem that this stuff is being inserted into stories where it doesn't really fit and isn't relevant to the story at all.

Could do without that really.

Those who are gay realize how very damn common this is in every other movie. There's literally 2-3 periphery characters in totally needless hetero flings, or two guys after the same girl. Talk about forced. And let's not forget that of the top 200 grossing sci fi and action films, there's *0* gay characters. So this isn't a complaint i have much sympathy for. It doesn't have to be explicitly a gay theme like "Brokeback" for their to be legitimate gay characters. That'd be like saying gay people don't exist except in san francisco.

Maybe on the fact this in particular is a remake, but again, the original could not have incorporated any gay characters due to the prevailing homophobia of the time. Which was also forcing things, in the opposite direction. This is why i take more seriously the complaints of people who objected to the *lack* of gay characters only a few years ago (and still to this day in big budget films)

Gay people exist, get over it. They are not gonna make you gay

And he doesn't want them in his entertainment. Just because something exists doesn't mean you want to see it.

So I was actually thinking about this today and the thought crossed my mind that what Disney does, what Disney has always done, is position themselves where ever they think the greatest profit is....they are ruthless about this they dont give a ****......and right now they think it is UP WITH WOMEN and UP WITH WHO EVER YOU WANT TO BE.

I am not sure that is a losing play.

I dont like it though.

So you're suggesting she was gay and wanted to write about a gay relationship? So what is the innuendos and metaphors in the original book that suggest she was gay?

No, god, i know it blows your mind but hetero authors do write in a gay character now and then. Anne Rice for instance made a lot of her characters gay or bisexual. Now had she written back in Oscar Wilde's day, or the author of "Beauty"? Innuendo and metaphor or skipping it entirely would have to do, or she'd be lynched just as quickly

Maybe on the fact this in particular is a remake, but again, the original could not have incorporated any gay characters due to the prevailing homophobia of the time. Which was also forcing things, in the opposite direction. This is why i take more seriously the complaints of people who objected to the *lack* of gay characters only a few years ago (and still to this day in big budget films)

You still haven't shown that line of reasoning has any bearing on the story in question.

No, god, i know it blows your mind but hetero authors do write in a gay character now and then. Anne Rice for instance made a lot of her characters gay or bisexual. Now had she written back in Oscar Wilde's day, or the author of "Beauty"? Innuendo and metaphor or skipping it entirely would have to do, or she'd be lynched just as quickly

You made a claim about the original author and I would very much like to see you prove it. I know you can't, but go ahead and give it your best shoot.

And he doesn't want them in his entertainment. Just because something exists doesn't mean you want to see it.

He can always watch BYU TV or the 700 Club, the rest of the world chooses what to watch, and if there is a gay scene, so what? People are what they are.

He can always watch BYU TV or the 700 Club, the rest of the world chooses what to watch, and if there is a gay scene, so what? People are what they are.

So would you prefer there be a sex scene with two dudes or would you prefer there not be a sex scene with two dudes?

So would you prefer there be a sex scene with two dudes or would you prefer there not be a sex scene with two dudes?

The problem for you is that with a ton of guys all the profit is in pretending that they like it if they dont.

Thats what the people around them want to hear, and they will crucify anyone who refuses to give them what they want.

Tolerance is way out of style.

Because for the most part? That is what is done. When someone is gay in a story it is usually a bull**** pandering move and is almost NEVER organic. Think "blacksploitation." Reinforcing stupid stereotypes, or just putting out there in a way so as to make it a "big deal" when it shouldn't be.

Almost all of popular entertainment reinforces if not establishes stereotypes. That's the only way it can be popular. The "token black" phenomenon irritates me too, but it's far too early in the process of allowing gay characters in movies to declare this to not be "organic" How the hell would you know the reasons of the decision makers?

Why don't you whine about how the total lack of gay characters in movies for decades was pandering to bigots? Shouldn't that be a bigger objection, scale wise, compared to a few in peripheral roles that we're seeing now?

What do I mean? They just exist. They are there. It isn't the plot. It isn't a subplot. It isn't meant to draw attention. It was natural and it worked and there was no need to "stop the presses" over it. They weren't pandering to an audience.

Lol so every time there's a gay couple that isn't the plot and they're just there, like in this movie, it's pandering to an audience and attention grabbing?

I get it, it's a remake. A remake of a remake and in the 1991 version it was quite different from the 1740 or whatever. Tons of remakes are so wildly different from their source...I think you miss the entire point of a movie like this is to sell tickets with the least amount of risk and expense. It's NOT art. There is no "organic" with something so unoriginal

So. What am I getting at? I think mainly a lot of the resistance that will NOW happen...especially with the first openly pro LGBTQ GOP president in office...is going to come from the people who want to make us "care" about this stuff. People Who want to keep waiving the rainbow flag at the "rednecks and yocals and damned republicans."

Take it from me...a young southern republican Christian who does NOT care about gay marriage or gay love or whatever. You will not make me care any more about your plight. I'm not going to give you money. I'm not going to preach your gospel. I expect one thing from gay people...be a productive member of society. Other than that? Shut up and live your damn life like the rest of us.

Tl;dr

It is only going to be truly equal for gays, blacks, Mexicans, Muslims, republicans, democrats, and monsters (from that musical)...when nobody gives a **** and nobody gives a **** that nobody gives a **** that nobody gives a ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTF is this tangent about? Do you expect any of this in the movie?

"Nobody gives a ****" would not have gotten us anywhere, btw. At least read some goddamn history before making claims like this. You're looking at it thru the lens of after the battle was fought. And in some ways it still is, like in texas now with their supreme court trying to undermine the national court ruling. You don't give a damn? Fine. But stop telling others who are far more aware than you not to

The problem for you is that with a ton of guys all the profit is in pretending that they like it if they dont.

Thats what the people around them want to hear, and they will crucify anyone who refuses to give them what they want.

Tolerance is way out of style.

One of my original point here was that movies and TV are about indoctrination more and more these days. They want to make you believe in their views and enjoy whatever liberal nonsense they crap out. They will cram them into established story lines, change the gender or sexuality of characters to fit their agenda, or just shove stuff in peoples faces that they know a good percentage of their audience would rather not see. They get hit with their stupidity in their face every once in a while, but most of the time they get away with it.

But yeah, plenty of people out there won't speak their mind on this issue, but just fall in line like a good little soldier. I was never cut out to be a soldier though.

You still haven't shown that line of reasoning has any bearing on the story in question.

What am i supposed to do, go back in time to 1740 and interview her?

But ask why it is that in 1740, or hell 1991, there were probably 0 gay characters in anything. Yep, the same bigotry that makes you run like a spoiled brat schoolgirl away from something you find gross

And i don't want heteros in my entertainment if the only valid measurement of that is the thought of what they do in bed. But i would have FAR more valid reason then you for tuning out from popular media entirely, seeing as like 99% of characters are hetero. No, you're just whining incessantly by comparison

What am i supposed to do, go back in time to 1740 and interview her?

But ask why it is that in 1740, or hell 1991, there were probably 0 gay characters in anything. Yep, the same bigotry that makes you run like a spoiled brat schoolgirl away from something you find gross

I don't give a **** how you go about getting the evidence to support your claims, but you should support them with something.

And i don't want heteros in my entertainment if the only valid measurement of that is the thought of what they do in bed. But i would have FAR more valid reason then you for tuning out from popular media entirely, seeing as like 99% of characters are hetero. No, you're just whining incessantly by comparison

Then don't watch them. :shrug: Also, I had several reasons to walk away from movies and TV, not just this reason.

So I was actually thinking about this today and the thought crossed my mind that what Disney does, what Disney has always done, is position themselves where ever they think the greatest profit is....they are ruthless about this they dont give a ****......and right now they think it is UP WITH WOMEN and UP WITH WHO EVER YOU WANT TO BE.

I am not sure that is a losing play.

I dont like it though.

Did you like it more when they decided (all thru their entire history) to systematically exclude gay characters, for the very same reasons you listed?

Cause a whole lot of the whiners in the thread have said as much

One of my original point here was that movies and TV are about indoctrination more and more these days. They want to make you believe in their views and enjoy whatever liberal nonsense they crap out. They will cram them into established story lines, change the gender or sexuality of characters to fit their agenda, or just shove stuff in peoples faces that they know a good percentage of their audience would rather not see. They get hit with their stupidity in their face every once in a while, but most of the time they get away with it.

But yeah, plenty of people out there won't speak their mind on this issue, but just fall in line like a good little soldier. I was never cut out to be a soldier though.

What an absurd claim, when tv and movies just like politicians are always way behind the masses. They're only doing this now when support for gay rights is escalating rapidly. There's no indoctrinating left to be done, as anyone who still has a problem is hopelessly lost. Just like racists

Well, more than we have seen since ww2, but then again I have been saying for many moons now that we are in a new dark age, that society is breaking down, the spirit is breaking down, the mind is breaking down.......civilization is breaking down.

The rest of ya'll can wake up at any time.....

:coffeepap

I don't give a **** how you go about getting the evidence to support your claims, but you should support them with something.

i already mentioned oscar wilde and hetero writers who wrote about gay characters after the witch hunts died down. That's all that's happening now, even in corporations that are risk averse

Did you like it more when they decided (all thru their entire history) to systematically exclude gay characters, for the very same reasons you listed?

Cause a whole lot of the whiners in the thread have said as much

At time yes, my whole thesis is that they follow the majority ( at least so far as having money to spend goes) where ever, that they really dont care about anything but the green.

America changes and Disney changes with it.....is that such a bad thing?

I dont like this change but that does not matter now does it....

i already mentioned oscar wilde and hetero writers who wrote about gay characters after the witch hunts died down. That's all that's happening now, even in corporations that are risk averse

I don't care about that claim. I want you to prove your claim about the original author of the story.

What an absurd claim, when tv and movies just like politicians are always way behind the masses. They're only doing this now when support for gay rights is escalating rapidly. There's no indoctrinating left to be done, as anyone who still has a problem is hopelessly lost. Just like racists

Did you know that support for gay rights is not the same thing as wanting to see gay make out/sex scenes? I know it's shocking, but those two issues are not connected.

Back
Top Bottom