• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baseball Lockout

As I said above, plenty of revenue coming in. In person attendance seems to be high...at least in some markets. You're not going to get pre cable ratings. There's just too much to see.

No one is watching it, is the problem

Actually MLB is the second ranked sport in the good old USA, behind the NFL.

1 NFL
2 MLB
3 NBA
4 NHL
5 Soccer
6 tennis
7 golf
8 wrestling
9 motor sports
10 Badmitten

The NBA has passed MLB as far viewership goes. That article is laughably bad though. It describes a Basketball game as a "match"

As I said above, plenty of revenue coming in. In person attendance seems to be high...at least in some markets. You're not going to get pre cable ratings. There's just too much to see.

Obviously you'll never get pre cable numbers but MLB used to have the #1 viewership and now it has slipped to 3rd.

You have to win to get those sponsors.
Speaking of golf, my wife and step kids will be going back to Virginia later this month. If I go back there with them, can I DM you for a round?

Last edited:
Well, shit. A season without my SF Giants would put a real damper on my year. :(
Ironically, this was going to be the season I finally actually went to a Giants game….

Lol @ Giants.

107 games....lulz.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Ironically, this was going to be the season I finally actually went to a Giants game….

You missed my point. All the games I mentioned are foreign in nature. She seems to have a problem with an American sport.
What a stupid post. Insinuating that somehow, someone is anti-American because they don't like an "American sport" like baseball. Pathetic.

What a stupid post. Insinuating that somehow, someone is anti-American because they don't like an "American sport" like baseball. Pathetic.
In your mind because you are of the same ilk. I would not call her or those like her, a patriot American either.

In your mind because you are of the same ilk. I would not call her or those like her, a patriot American either.
So if someone doesn't like baseball, they aren't a patriotic American? Again, that's a completely pathetic attempt to politicize sports for a "gotcha" moment. Try harder, this shit is weak as hell.

Everything I've read about MLB current status reinforces my opinion neither side cares enough about improving the game and competitive balance. It's all about the Benjamin's.

That said, don't blame the players for not trusting ownership. Think the owners will make some concessions in the new agreement but already know how they'll compensate for them.

Obligatory meeting today between negotiators with very little progress, SHOCKED I am NOT.

Actually optimistic we won't lose regular season games, but don't expect any agreement until ost revenue and paychecks becomes closer to reality.

Not much MLPA can do to help aging veterans other than making younger players more expensive. Think the Union should focus getting a hefty increase in the minimum wage and arbitration after two years, have hard time believing owners will go for free agency sooner.

Don't think either side gives a shit about competitive balance improvement so don't expect much out of any agreements to try to do so. The Players want a bigger piece of the pie and really don't care where the money comes from. The owners of winning organizations are fine beating up the perennial losers, and as long as it's profitable the owners of also rans are fine being also rans.

Think we'll see the universal DH and expanded playoffs. Think other changes to try to improve the game are dead for now since the players signaled they wanted concessions in the new labour agreement for them to sign off on them.

Some progress between MLB and players union. Abit surprised with the amount of ground the union decided to give at this point, but they're in a tough spot

Some progress between MLB and players union. Abit surprised with the amount of ground the union decided to give at this point, but they're in a tough spot

Well they aren't really gaining anything one set of players gets a good deal and it hurts a different set of players, also most of the things they want about bad for all parties involved long term

Well they aren't really gaining anything one set of players gets a good deal and it hurts a different set of players, also most of the things they want about bad for all parties involved long term
Yeah, the players union is in tough spot. Owners figured out little reason to pay more for production for most older players who cost more. Analytics has made easier for owners to do cost/benefit analysis regarding spending on players.

There's no current mechanism or one going forward to force owners to spend more on the average older veteran. The best
the union can do is make younger players abit more expensive to possibly tilt the scale towards older players and believe that's what they are attempting to do. Raising the minimum salary and creating a pool of money for some younger players seems like the union has decided to focus on, which also fits in with the goal of getting a bigger piece of the pie.

Reality is it's much easier to unite 32 owners and they've been successful in dividing factions of the players. The union for players in baseball has been considered a strong one among the major sports leagues, but they've taken a hit just like unions in general the past 20 to 30 years.

I'm on the side of players getting a bigger percentage of revenues but without a big change in the current system don't see it happening. Player union is dead against the system in place In the NFL, NBA, and NHL.

My biggest quibble with players is reluctance to rule changes in attempt to improve the game. Probably painting with too broad of a brush by saying "players" Probably having the same problem of getting all players on the same page.

Last edited:
A football game between Jacksonville and the Giants in London at 9AM ET would attract more viewers than game 7 of the World Series @ primetime.

On what planet would this occur?

Back
Top Bottom