• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baseball Lockout

1994: MLB shuts down due to strike
1995: Atlanta wins the World Series
2021: Atlanta wins the World Series
2021: MLB shuts down due to lockout

I see a pattern here. ;)

Baseball needs a salary cap... And a minimum cap too.. Teams like the Pirates should not be allowed field non competitive teams year after year...

If an organization is incompetent, like the NFL Lions, and the NBA Knicks... Fine, but at least they try... They spend money.. The Pirates don't even try...

The only problem with that is guaranteed contracts. How many more years yall still paying Bobby?

1994: MLB shuts down due to strike
1995: Atlanta wins the World Series
2021: Atlanta wins the World Series
2021: MLB shuts down due to lockout

I see a pattern here. ;)

Time to move them back to Boston?

I had to go look. There is a hell of a range among, what 30 teams.

The only problem with that is guaranteed contracts. How many more years yall still paying Bobby?
That's more deferred than guaranteed... But yeah, guaranteed contracts are a problem too... Especially for small market teams... Example: the Yankees give out a big, long term deal to someone, and he gets hurt, or just grows old and underperforms, the Yanks eat the contract, move on and sign someone else..

A small market team has 1 or 2 bad contracts, and then they can't sign anyone else for years until those bad contracts are gone..

Baseball is a mess.

The problem with all of this talk about the huge discrepancy in payrolls is the Tampa Bay Rays.. lol...

They are good every year, but are always on the low end of the pay scale... This is all their fault.. lol

Rugby is a great sport, with the flag football being played in the NFL these days I would bet there is a decent market for it.
You missed my point. All the games I mentioned are foreign in nature. She seems to have a problem with an American sport.

That's more deferred than guaranteed... But yeah, guaranteed contracts are a problem too... Especially for small market teams... Example: the Yankees give out a big, long term deal to someone, and he gets hurt, or just grows old and underperforms, the Yanks eat the contract, move on and sign someone else..

A small market team has 1 or 2 bad contracts, and then they can't sign anyone else for years until those bad contracts are gone..

Baseball is a mess.

It becomes a Yankee problem too with the salary cap. Too many bad contracts and you are paying none existent players and no cap room for the field.

Baseball needs a salary cap... And a minimum cap too.. Teams like the Pirates should not be allowed field non competitive teams year after year...

If an organization is incompetent, like the NFL Lions, and the NBA Knicks... Fine, but at least they try... They spend money.. The Pirates don't even try...

Why not just eliminate MLB's anti-trust exemption?

If the Pirates aren't offering an entertaining product at an affordable price, then why not let a new start-up league set up a franchise there?

The problem with all of this talk about the huge discrepancy in payrolls is the Tampa Bay Rays.. lol...

They are good every year, but are always on the low end of the pay scale... This is all their fault.. lol

And still no one will watch them play

After reading the OP article my take is the real looser in all of this will be the fans. You know the people who pay for tickets to go to the game or watch on TV.
Players want more + Owners want more = Fans get stuck with the bill.

The other people who will be hurt are the different business that rely on baseball. Restaurants, sports bars, and concessions at the stadium. Maybe the public should go on strike and demand some compensation.

I wonder if Baseball realizes how unpopular it is. Most people won't miss it. Hell, they don't watch any games as it is.

Move Oakland to Las Vegas

And still no one will watch them play
Florida, for some, isn't a baseball state... Maybe the weather, the beaches, no history... Idk..

With an older population, and a large Latino population I would think baseball would be popular down there... But the Rays and Marlins can't draw flies...

I don't see anything wrong with baseball. What needs to be changed exactly ? If I had a wish I would do something about the shift. All the teams play under the same rules. As thy say in the gaming world, get gud.

I think problem is the fans are split. Half want to see baseball revert back and be a more pastime game and half want it to change completely.

Do you have any ideas how to fix it?

Florida, for some, isn't a baseball state... Maybe the weather, the beaches, no history... Idk..

With an older population, and a large Latino population I would think baseball would be popular down there... But the Rays and Marlins can't draw flies...

Not only that Florida produces the highest per capita amount of pro players, so they have a thriving amateur baseball community too

WTF leave my Lions alone!

I still have the PGA tour.

Where they actually have to perform to make their money! :ROFLMAO:

They get most of their money from sponsors. Tiger woods is still by far the highest paid golfer for 2021.

We're not into winter yet and Spring training is months away, but...

Next season appears to be in jeopardy.
I've been a baseball fan since the mid 1950's. When baseball was king. I remember the world series in the afternoon at school, when all teaching stopped so we could watch it on TV or listen to it over the loud speaker. Not anymore. I think both the players and the owners ought to be careful. There's been a lot of changes in baseball, some good, some bad. Lockouts aren't doing the sport any favorite.

I wonder if Baseball realizes how unpopular it is. Most people won't miss it. Hell, they don't watch any games as it is.
Actually MLB is the second ranked sport in the good old USA, behind the NFL.

1 NFL
2 MLB
3 NBA
4 NHL
5 Soccer
6 tennis
7 golf
8 wrestling
9 motor sports
10 Badmitten

Back
Top Bottom