• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Atheist Chaplains?

as an atheist, I would say I don't want a chaplain. However, I might want a counselor who isn't a psychiatrist or psychologist; and as Tererun said, there might be benefits associated with the chaplain's position that aren't there for psychologist/psychiatrist

From Tererun's fine post:
See, now it gets explained. They do not want to be a chaplain because they want a chaplain. they want a chaplain because they are part of the military structure that would allow them to take advantage of the resources like meeting places and group organization that come with that position. It is clearly defined here that they simply do not want the atheist chaplain to preside over religious ceremonies, but want the other benefits.

So it's OK to scare children with a threat of eternal hell fire? There were six known historians alive during the 18 month ministry of Jesus and not a one of them mentioned a single one of the Jesus miracles. It would be like the NY Times never mentioning Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle or Roger Maris.

Preach on, brother Campbell. Spread the word of atheist enlightenment. Go forth and bring home the children of non-belief from the deception of their belief system. Praise science name and may the power of the big bang be with you. :)

Atheism has become a sort of cult. It is, for many, the religion of non-religion. Richard Dawkins is their unofficial high priest. It's amazing how much time and energy cult atheists spend trying to convert people to their religion of non-religion.

Maybe they're just trying to save people from religion.

Pi5aRxO.png

They wouldn't actually be called chaplains, which is why Fox news put that word in quotation marks.
They may need/want someone to talk to without the religious aspect.
The military already has those. They're called stress counselors and can handle anything. Chaplains are something totally different. When a soldier goes to a Chaplin about a real problem, the Chaplin does their thing but then has to take that soldier to the licensed stress counselor. I know because I saw both more than once while over seas.

Why, you don't seem to read that close.

But for you, I'll try to remember to be specific. Do you require a middle initial or first and last name only? :)

IT is proper communication so that your message is clear and not muddled... as it was.

So it's OK to scare children with a threat of eternal hell fire? There were six known historians alive during the 18 month ministry of Jesus and not a one of them mentioned a single one of the Jesus miracles. It would be like the NY Times never mentioning Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle or Roger Maris.

Maybe they weren't ready or able to witness them... could be for any numer of reasons... and unless you can prove that eternal hell fire does NOT await sinners then you the heck are you to be a jerk about it?

Pi5aRxO.png

Yep. That's it. They're trying to get people to believe as they do. There's something about people and religion..... seems the more people they can get to agree with their perspective, the more right they feel they must be.

The military already has those. They're called stress counselors and can handle anything. Chaplains are something totally different. When a soldier goes to a Chaplin about a real problem, the Chaplin does their thing but then has to take that soldier to the licensed stress counselor. I know because I saw both more than once while over seas.

The problem with that is that talking to a mental health professional can have a deleterious effect on your career, where a chat with the "Chaplain" attracts no such negativity.

The problem with that is that talking to a mental health professional can have a deleterious effect on your career, where a chat with the "Chaplain" attracts no such negativity.
If you have a real problem then you need to take that hit to your career.

If there's no real problem then you have nothing to worry about.

IT is proper communication so that your message is clear and not muddled... as it was.

Please be more specific.

Was do you mean by IT, everything, just one thing in particular, Information Technology? You see if you message isn't clear some people might get the wrong impression.

That's how I saw and see it. A spiritual guide or teammate of sorts. Not necessarily a "problem solver".

Ok. What would be the qualification for the position? I get where the Religious Chaplains would come from and how you would judge their qualifications. For just a spiritual consuler, how do you choose them, what 'pool' of people would fit the job description?

Ok. What would be the qualification for the position? I get where the Religious Chaplains would come from and how you would judge their qualifications. For just a spiritual consuler, how do you choose them, what 'pool' of people would fit the job description?

That's a good question. I'm pretty unique, haven't met many others.

They wouldn't actually be called chaplains, which is why Fox news put that word in quotation marks.
They may need/want someone to talk to without the religious aspect.

They have counselors for that.

It's terrifying to progressives and is a worthy object of their hate, contempt and disgust.

It's analgous to being frightened of ghosts, since they don't believe in a living god. Consequently an imaginary entity causes dreadful fear among some of the populace. :lol:

Pi5aRxO.png
I saw more people die from gunfire than religion. I think that, given that we're talking about war and the profession of arms, where everyone's purpose is to brake things and kill people, your post is fairly immature and arrogant.

It's analgous to being frightened of ghosts, since they don't believe in a living god. Consequently an imaginary entity causes dreadful fear among some of the populace. :lol:

Pretty funny now that you mention it. I've heard atheists call God an "imaginary friend" countless times and yet religion scares them so much that they spend untold time and energy trying to convert "believers" into "non-believers" in the most aggressive proselytizing effort I've seen since Jehova's Witnesses..... and at least the Johova's Witnesses are NICE about it.

Preach on, brother Campbell. Spread the word of atheist enlightenment. Go forth and bring home the children of non-belief from the deception of their belief system. Praise science name and may the power of the big bang be with you. :)

Revelation 21:8

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

What a load of unadulterated bull ****! I'm a Jack and the Beanstalk man myself.

Last edited:
Pretty funny now that you mention it. I've heard atheists call God an "imaginary friend" countless times and yet religion scares them so much that they spend untold time and energy trying to convert "believers" into "non-believers" in the most aggressive proselytizing effort I've seen since Jehova's Witnesses..... and at least the Johova's Witnesses are NICE about it.

Precisely!!!!!

Precisely!!!!!

Hang in there. Young people are becoming atheists and agnostics by the millions. Strange what a good education will do for youngsters when some half assed preacher isn't teaching:

‘No Religion’ on the Rise: 19.6% Have No Religious Affiliation - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

"The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling.

In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14%).3"

Wouldn't that person be called a "psychologist" or "psychiatrist"?

Because the inference is "mental health" for one thing. If "chaplain" isn't the correct term "philosopher" might be closer to the mark. But as Redress pointed out chaplains do have the ability and authority to intercede on behalf of the soldier, sailor, etc.

Also many Buddhists are atheists. If I am not mistaken there is only one Buddhist priest in the army chaplain core.

I'm not Buddhist. When I was in the army, there was no chaplain for me. There was no professional to help me spiritually.

In fact, Heebie, knows little of what he speaks. There are only a few Buddhist chaplains in all of the US military. Having one Buddhist chaplain in the army stationed at Ft. Lewis does little good for a Buddhist in the navy stationed at NASJAX where no Buddhist exists.

As a practicing Buddhist I'd be better off talking to an atheist chaplain than a Christian chaplain. From the outset an atheist chaplain would understand and accept the fact I don't believe in concept of Biblical sin and all that comes with that. Telling me that something is either God's answer to my prayers or God's will isn't the least bit meaningful to me and an atheist chaplain would share that understanding and belief.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom