• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Atheist Chaplains?

It may be a gambit with an eye toward eliminating the military chaplain program entirely.

Some new atheists are rabid prosthelytizers, convinced, all historical evidence to the contrary, that eliminating religions will cure all our ills, so I wouldn't put it past them. Tolerance of the beliefs of others is not their bag.

For some it's all about being priviledged and yet still being able to claim membership in an oppressed group. Being a victim has lots of advantages in America these days, such as being insufferably self-righteous, having one's half baked grievances taken seriously by at least some people, and never having to take responsibility for one's own stupid mistakes and failings.

Why would you fix errors that didn't exist? That is how I wanted to type it. If you can't figure out what I meant then the solution is pretty simple, ASK.

Writing purposeful errors does not make it grammatically correct. Hence, the errors existed.

Science, concrete science, has never contradicted the Bible.

Yet the religious folk consistantly jailed and killed people who had a concrete scientific mind throughout history.

Yet the religious folk consistantly jailed and killed people who had a concrete scientific mind throughout history.
Implying that religious people and people of science are mutualy exclusive groups.

It's the government, which sometimes happens to be a a church, who imprisons people not for science, but for anti-government ideas. There's nothing uniquely religious about it.

It seems you didn't have any problem assuming you knew what I meant.

At this point I don't care what you meant. You wrote errors and that makes them errors. End of story. Done. Fin.

Ok - I was reading this thread but quit around page 10 or so...

A lot of people deal with moral and spiritual concerns regarding the career path they find themselves on - and don't need or want a medical doctor to examine them (psychologist) or any sort of psych-analytical support (psychiatrist), nor do they want the heavily religious views of a religious chaplain. Counselors are specialized (like - there's a substance abuse counselor, a family and friends counselor, a developmental counselor, a career counselor (etc etc etc). These counselors are trained and only counsel on certain aspects - and nothing else. They're not 'the go to person' for everyone's broad-based needs.

Non-religious or non-faith based (can be religious or not, doesn't mean it's atheist in particular) . . . is a way to seek out help, support, and a listening ear or group without being limited.

If the military offers a service of any nature - it should be made available to everyone regardless of faith, thus, it's just common sense that non-religious chaplains that aren't "methodist" or "Presbyterian" are available. Religious people aren't the only ones with moral issues and qualms regarding killing people, seeing death, having people close to them killed, dealing with the stress of 'god and country' . . . or - something completely other like 'I'm finding it hard to trust my wife is being faithful' or 'I met this woman, she seems to like me, but she has kids' . . . there are topics that people do not want a religious-focus response to.

It's a non-issue and I'm surprised this is being debated at all. . . especially by people who aren't in the military and, thus, don't have to deal with these particular people and the services provided.

Back
Top Bottom