• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona surpasses 5,000 coronavirus deaths

I said it already, Phx residents getting serious about masks/distance.

Since when?The restrictions on the number of tables/customers was just relaxed...as were gyms.

Non-essential stores have been allowed to re-open...again.

Who ****ing cares, Tucson sucks anyway.

Cars in teh bars......good grief.

The fact that you are not mentioning the shutting down of bars and clubs as a major factor shows you don't have a clue.

Saying that AZ is still a hot spot is wrong!
I didn't say that, I say you shouldn't get happy clappy when Douche has AGAIN lowered the restrictions...and blooms are re-appearing.

We are starting to open up but that's because we are reaching good benchmarks.
No kidding. The point remains, Douche lowered the restrictions previously (May 11-15) and we then went on our death trip.

It's going to be a much slower reopening this time. They have a nark number you can call to rat out businesses who are not complying.
That is a BS reponce, there is no enforcement, it is an after the fact action.

We were able to get it under control by shutting down the big bars and clubs. Wearing masks has helped.
No, you have that TOTALLY back-assward. People in Phx finally got the message to distance, to wear masks, the news of cases/deaths scared folks into taking action. Douche has been slow to respond, and dropped the best people at ASU to model what was happening in AZ.

People still suck at social distancing and self policing.
And yet, the numbers came down.

I am happy because we are way better off than we were a month ago. If things change I may change my mood may change.
Funny, I couldn't care less about YOUR mood.

I'm certainly not going to live in terror of what might or might not happen. I don't live in the past like you people do.
Happy clappy, as per usual.

The fact that you are not mentioning the shutting down of bars and clubs as a major factor shows you don't have a clue.
He did not do that until June 29th, well past the exponential growth in case levels beginning a MONTH EARLIER.

edit;
And the closures didn't happen until 2 WEEKS after he "allowed" counties/cities to mandate mask wearing..

Last edited:
My daughter, a nurse works at a hospital in Central Ohio. She told me things that are going on behind the scene. First you can not trust the number of cases being reported because every time someone is tested it counts as a new case. But someone that is diagnosed with COVID, every time they are tested afterward which is often especially in a hospital setting, each test they do afterward on the same patient that continues to show a positive result is counted as a new case. And she told me the hospital was receiving more money with every Covid patient they report and treat. In other words, the numbers are not accurate.

Since March, hubby and I chose to social distance and wear masks and only go out when absolutely needed. It has been very hard. Our daughter told us to continue to wear the masks, avoid crowds, use hand sanitizer but do not live in fear. She has provided us with awesome masks and my favorite is pink with candy sprinkles. I do believe there will be a vaccine before the end of this year. I am one of the vulnerable but I refuse to live in fear.

The only change I've seen since May out here is a higher percentage of people wearing masks. Maybe that really is the silver bullet but I don't think so. When we reopened restaurants people stopped wearing masks inside and it isn't unusual to see groups of 6-10 dining shoulder to shoulder. In theory, those diners would offset any benefit of more people wearing masks at the convenience store. Our trend out here has been kind of a camel back curve. If you look at hospitalizations and deaths (makes no sense to look at cases since testing criteria and availability have changed significantly) we had a spike in March the dropped off and then a bigger spike in July.

If I REALLY had to guess about what the big change has been it's that food and other supplies have generally come back into stock. March was the big run on groceries and cleaning supplies. A lot of people were out and about even if they were sick because they had no idea if they would ever see another egg or piece of meat again. By June and July the availability of essentials was was coming back but concern about another run had people packing in supplies again. It's really just been the past 6 weeks or so that I've seen normal crowds at grocery stores and people buying normal amounts of stuff. I'm thinking that a little consumer confidence has done wonders for keeping sick people at home.

If you look at hospitalizations and deaths (makes no sense to look at cases since testing criteria and availability have changed significantly) we had a spike in March the dropped off and then a bigger spike in July.
There was no "spike in deaths" in March, you have nothing to support that. There were fewer than 20 deaths in March.

az covid 2.jpg

By June and July the availability of essentials was was coming back but concern about another run had people packing in supplies again.
Um, no, that was not happening here in Phx.

Last edited:
There was no "spike in deaths" in March, you have nothing to support that. There were fewer than 20 deaths in March.

Um, no, that was not happening here in Phx.

That's what we had in Tucson - https://webcms.pima.gov/UserFiles/Servers/Server_6/File/Health/COVID-19/Report%20Files/Case%20Reports/Death%20Case%20%20CLI%20Report_8.26.2020.pdf

If anyone is interested, this batch of graphs gives a little more clarity to the specifics of covid-19 on the ground out here - https://webcms.pima.gov/UserFiles/Servers/Server_6/File/Health/COVID-19/Report%20Files/Demo%20Reports/Demographic%20Breakdown%208.21.20.pdf

Total fearmonger BS!

AZ has been trending down for a month and a half. AZ has gone from 21% positive average per week to the current 5%. AZ has one of the lowes Rt's in the nation. Hospital statistics are the lowest they've been throughout the pandemic. Businesses are being allowed to open up because we have reached proper benchmarks. We've gone from averaging 3800 cases a day to less than 600. This number is dropping quickly. Many of the daily reported deaths you see are from June and July.

ADHS - Data Dashboard

Some pretty steep downward trends.

Take a look at the heat map below. Does it look like AZ is a hot spot.

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count - The New York Times

Do some research next time you try to preach your doom and gloom.

Yes we have been trending down in the stats that count regarding the virus.

One thing is a fact you can't take trend the total death count downward. The numbers of deaths have slowed down, but is tragic when they occur.

I didn't say that, I say you shouldn't get happy clappy when Douche has AGAIN lowered the restrictions...and blooms are re-appearing.

No kidding. The point remains, Douche lowered the restrictions previously (May 11-15) and we then went on our death trip.

That is a BS reponce, there is no enforcement, it is an after the fact action.

No, you have that TOTALLY back-assward. People in Phx finally got the message to distance, to wear masks, the news of cases/deaths scared folks into taking action. Douche has been slow to respond, and dropped the best people at ASU to model what was happening in AZ.

And yet, the numbers came down.

Funny, I couldn't care less about YOUR mood.

Happy clappy, as per usual.

Do you really think the numbers in AZ went down because "the news of cases/deaths scared folks into taking action"? The only things that changed was that certain businesses, mainly bars and nightclubs were shut down and mandatory mask wearing went into effect. That's it! I guarantee you that nobody who wasn't afraid before became afraid when the numbers spiked. I don't know where you live but you are way off on this.

Yes we have been trending down in the stats that count regarding the virus.

One thing is a fact you can't take trend the total death count downward. The numbers of deaths have slowed down, but is tragic when they occur.

This is my point. The damage was done during our spike regarding deaths. The number of daily deaths is very low now compared to a month ago. The fearmonger throws out the 5000 number without context.

Do you really think the numbers in AZ went down because "the news of cases/deaths scared folks into taking action"?
Yes I do.

The only things that changed was that certain businesses, mainly bars and nightclubs were shut down and mandatory mask wearing went into effect.
They went into effect ONLY after Douche "allowed" them to be mandatory. Phx made them mandatory the day after, June 19th. Prior to that, I saw more than 50% wearing masks.

That's it! I guarantee you that nobody who wasn't afraid before became afraid when the numbers spiked.
Uh, that bolsters MY argument.

I don't know where you live but you are way off on this.
I live downtown, travel to Arcadia often, The Phoenix Tennis Center....and Encanto courts when they were open. I do all the shopping.... and laundry at the mat. I was born here, had a house in the Coronado district.....don't tell me I don't know Phx.

hmmmm, the thread isn't about Trump..
another time
another thread

If it about covid deaths it is always about Trump. He is the angel of death. 200,000 of them before we can vote him out. You should know that. The Senate Republicans are also complicit in the carnage. We could be rid of him now if not for them and 100's of thousands of lives could have been saved.

The Latest: Arizona surpasses 5,000 coronavirus deaths

PHOENIX -- Arizona has reached a grim milestone of more than 5,000 known coronavirus deaths.

The state Department of Health Services reported 629 confirmed coronavirus cases and 29 more deaths on Saturday to total 5,007.

Meanwhile, Arizona State University President Michael Crow says 452 students have tested positive for the coronavirus. More than half involve students who live off campus in the metro Phoenix area.

Crow says 205 students are currently in quarantine on the Tempe campus.
==========================================================================
Arizona continues to be a regional hot-spot for the coronavirus.
They also surpassed 30,000 recovered. Oh, and their case fatality rate is 2.5%; the national rate is 3.1%.

Got anything else?

This is my point. The damage was done during our spike regarding deaths. The number of daily deaths is very low now compared to a month ago. The fearmonger throws out the 5000 number without context.

The news I watch in AZ pretty much emphasis that is a total. They explain when the deaths / day was spiking.

You are correct, context is important.

If it about covid deaths it is always about Trump. He is the angel of death. 200,000 of them before we can vote him out. You should know that. The Senate Republicans are also complicit in the carnage. We could be rid of him now if not for them and 100's of thousands of lives could have been saved.

how do you know that as fact?

how do you know that as fact?

Because I trust science and scientists who study these things. It's probably too complicated for you but here is the study. And this was early in the pandemic we now have twice as many deaths that could have been avoided if we just did what other countries did with the same information,

To compare each country’s responses to the pandemic on a consistent basis, we turned to the work of an Oxford University team that has constructed a stringency index based on 13 policy responses (lockdowns, border closings, tests, etc.) to measure how strongly each country responded over time. The Oxford index shows that 14 days from the date of the 15th confirmed case in each country — a vital early window for action — the U.S. response to the outbreak lagged behind the others by miles. The U.S. stringency score of 5.7 at that point was 25% of Australia’s (23), 23% of Germany’s (25), 18% of Singapore’s (32), and only 15% of South Korea’s (38).
Due to exponential viral spread, our delay in action was devastating. In the wake of the U.S. response, 117,858 Americans died in the four months following the first 15 confirmed cases. After an equivalent period, Germany suffered only 8,863 casualties. Scaling up the German population of 83.7 million to America’s 331 million, a U.S.-sized Germany would have suffered 35,049 Covid-19 deaths. So if the U.S. had acted as effectively as Germany, 70% of U.S. coronavirus deaths might have been prevented.

A faster response could have prevented most U.S. Covid-19 deaths - STAT

Because I trust science and scientists who study these things. It's probably too complicated for you but here is the study. And this was early in the pandemic we now have twice as many deaths that could have been avoided if we just did what other countries did with the same information,

Yeah, if we could have closed down BEFORE anyone heard about the virus we could have saved a lot of lives. :roll: Maybe back when Pelosi and Biden were calling Trump xenophobia and racist for stopping travel from China. :roll: Or as part of Pelosi's Chinatown party.

Last edited:
Yeah, if we could have closed down BEFORE anyone heard about the virus we could have saved a lot of lives. :roll: Maybe back when Pelosi and Biden were calling Trump xenophobia and racist for stopping travel from China. :roll: Or as part of Pelosi's Chinatown party.

We let 1000's of Americans who were visiting their relatives back from China without even telling them they may be carrying the virus. Trump must have thought only the Chinese could carry it. It was the stupidest ban ever and virtually worthless at keeping the virus in China. That is what we get for electing a moron like Trump. 200,000 dead is our punishment and that is just the number for election day.

I-man...
that is crystal ball computer gazing by statisticians .. I have yet to see any such figures/forecasts come to fruition... It's too difficult to find confidence in any before or after 'what if' speculations.

Bars just re-opened here. A few places in downtown Scottsdale got nailed already. We were just in my favorite dive bar that just "officially" re-opened today.

Total fearmonger BS!

AZ has been trending down for a month and a half. AZ has gone from 21% positive average per week to the current 5%. AZ has one of the lowes Rt's in the nation. Hospital statistics are the lowest they've been throughout the pandemic. Businesses are being allowed to open up because we have reached proper benchmarks. We've gone from averaging 3800 cases a day to less than 600. This number is dropping quickly. Many of the daily reported deaths you see are from June and July.

ADHS - Data Dashboard

Some pretty steep downward trends.

Take a look at the heat map below. Does it look like AZ is a hot spot.

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count - The New York Times

Do some research next time you try to preach your doom and gloom.

It took a period of time before the governor got serious about it, but once he did, the general direction for Arizona took a big downturn in the number of new infection rate. This last week, Arizona shifted from the 10-25 new cases per day per 100K inhabitants to 1-9.

Hopefully that will keep on improving. NYS is been holding steady at .7% new infection rate for the tests. It is starting to get over 90K tests a day, so the 'new infection' numbers aren't going as fast as it might. That's why the 'infection rate' is important to look at.

The number of people newly hospitalized is dropping off far faster than NY. Their 'deaths per day' is still too high. Right now, there are 21K of people hospitalized. I think AZ shows how you can turn things around if people take it seriously. I wish Texas , Georgia and Florida took it the same way.

It should be no surprise to anybody that South Dakota has had a huge surge in the number of new cases the last two weeks.

Last edited:
The Latest: Arizona surpasses 5,000 coronavirus deaths

PHOENIX -- Arizona has reached a grim milestone of more than 5,000 known coronavirus deaths.

The state Department of Health Services reported 629 confirmed coronavirus cases and 29 more deaths on Saturday to total 5,007.

Meanwhile, Arizona State University President Michael Crow says 452 students have tested positive for the coronavirus. More than half involve students who live off campus in the metro Phoenix area.

Crow says 205 students are currently in quarantine on the Tempe campus.
==========================================================================
Arizona continues to be a regional hot-spot for the coronavirus.

What about all the free Vit D?

I-man...
that is crystal ball computer gazing by statisticians .. I have yet to see any such figures/forecasts come to fruition... It's too difficult to find confidence in any before or after 'what if' speculations.

Actually they are scientists from Oxford but Trump knows more about pandemics not doubt .:lol:

P.S. They did come to "fruition" in the form of far lower cases and deaths per 100,000 in every country that responded better than us. And by "every country" I mean virtually the entire Western world.

We let 1000's of Americans who were visiting their relatives back from China without even telling them they may be carrying the virus. Trump must have thought only the Chinese could carry it. It was the stupidest ban ever and virtually worthless at keeping the virus in China. That is what we get for electing a moron like Trump. 200,000 dead is our punishment and that is just the number for election day.
You blathered this story before, and we both know if we'd have blocked AMERICANS returning you and you ilk would have pissed and moaned about THAT.

You blathered this story before, and we both know if we'd have blocked AMERICANS returning you and you ilk would have pissed and moaned about THAT.
Trump Considers Banning Re-entry by Citizens Who May Have Coronavirus
Under the proposal, the government could block a citizen or legal resident’s entry if an official “reasonably believes” the person had been exposed to or was infected with the communicable disease.

Trump Considers Banning Re-entry by Citizens Who May Have Coronavirus - The New York Times

Back
Top Bottom