• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Are dems in the Senate giving aid to the enemy by asking for a date for withdrawal?

Are the dems in the senate giving aid to the enemy by asking for a withdrawal date?

• Yes, the terrorists know all they have to do it wait us out then.

Votes: 34 61.8%
  • no, cut and run like we did in Nam is the best thing to do.

Votes: 21 38.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Are dems in the Senate giving aid to the enemy by asking for a date for withdrawa

Navy Pride said:
Its odd that you are the only one that can not see it but not unusual considering the source.......
Oh really? What is it that you "see" exactly? Please elaborate and please try to do it in more than one sentence, hell why not do a paragraph since you're so incredibly informed and "see" what's being discussed?

Do you even know what we're talking about? :shock:

C'mon Navy Pride let's see some words of wisdom.

BTW - Did you miss that my last post was tongue in cheek?

Re: Are dems in the Senate giving aid to the enemy by asking for a date for withdrawa

M14 Shooter said:
LOL
You're a HOOT!!
I make a statement regarding how conservatives and liberals differ in measuing the success of government and your FIRST reaction is to offer "Bush really sucks!!" post.
LOL

Aside from that - the average poverty level over the last 30 years is 13.0% and the avgerage poverty level under the Clinton administration was 13.3%, with a +/-0.2% change in the poverty rate from year to year being well within the normal yearly variance -- so, after putting things in context, I'd say he's doing pretty OK.

When Bush took office, the poverty level was the lowest in recorded history. It has gone up, along with homelessness, each year Bush has been in office. That's "pretty ok" with you?

Here's the deal for most of us on the "left." Most of the labelled differences between Liberals and conservatives do not even apply to Bush.

Bush is no conservative...he never has been. Hence, our wonderment that those of you on the right so fervently support a man who does such a poor job of supporting the conservative principles you hold so dear?!

Jan 20th, 2009 Hang in there, America!

26 X World Champs said:
I think you're giving him more credit than he deserves?

No credit. No credit at all. It doesn't take much effort for someone who only cares about the fight to prod someone who actually cares about the issue at hand. I'm learning to choose my battles around here. I've been caught a sucker by sycophants and rabble-rousers too many times.

Hoot said:
When Bush took office, the poverty level was the lowest in recorded history. It has gone up, along with homelessness, each year Bush has been in office. That's "pretty ok" with you?
It was 11.3% when he took office.
In just the last 35 years there have been at least 2 years (1973, 1974) where it was lower.
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/histpov/hstpov5.html

Were you wrong or did you lie?

And in any event, the average is what matters; Bush worst year is still 0.3% below that average.

If you think below-average poverty rates are a sign that Bush is "failing", you must be a partisan bigot.

Navy Pride said:
Are the democrats in the Senate giving aid and comfort to the enemy for asking for a deadline fro withdrawal from Iraq?
Thpught it would be fun to get back on topic. Navy Pride started this thread asking a poll question that was almost as stilted as anything ever written here. Interetingly even with the most biased of choices the non-scientific poll has only 55% agreeing with Navy Pride. Now I take no credence in this type of polling since it is totally unscientific and in this poll in particular the 2nd choice is incredibly mindless:
no, cut and run like we did in Nam is the best thing to do.
Not only is the question biased he even had the balls to throw in Vietnam as if the reason we lost Vietnam was that we "cut and run" (wasn't Nixon President during the last 6 years of Vietnam?)

So, back on topic...it appears that the people in this community (only) who participated in this poll do not overwhelmingly support Navy's stilted position. As a matter of fact, considering the outrageous way the 2nd option was written it is quite surprising that 44% so far want to, as Navy put it, "do a Nam" and get out immediately.

I think it's very impressive that the people in this community are smart enough to know a bullshit poll and bullshit 2nd choice yet still are able to express their views against the Iraq war.

Imagine if the 2nd choice had been?
Should the USA deploy from Iraq as soon as practical?
I think then this non-scientific excercise would have resulted in a strong plurality in favor of option #2. Hell, the only way Navy Pride could get the results of this poll to favor his bias slant was to ask choice #2 the way he did.

Cut off one's nose to spite your face Navy Pride?

26 X World Champs said:
I think then this non-scientific excercise would have resulted in a strong plurality in favor of option #2. Hell, the only way Navy Pride could get the results of this poll to favor his bias slant was to ask choice #2 the way he did.

Cut off one's nose to spite your face Navy Pride?

Yeah, this poll is laughable. I didn't bother to vote. It's like having a vote for the dreamiest guy in the world on an Orlando Bloom fansite - with the second option being Danny DeVito, lol.

Archon said:
Instead he lets Cheney run around begging Congress to let the CIA torture more of them
The CIA does not answer TO DICK CHENEY.

You are beginning to **** ME OFF.
What the heck are you talking about? What I said in now way implies the CIA answers to Cheney. They would answer to McCain's bill if it passed. My point was to illustrate the propoganda defeat America has suffered because our Vice President openly wants to allow torture. He just put another log on the fire.

M14 Shooter said:
It should go without saying that these murdering freaks should be unconditionally condemned for what they do. It should be obvious to any rational human being that blowing up civilians and cutting off their heads is unconditionally wrong. Only the morally bankrupt would need to have that pointed out to them once, much less repeated. Bush and co. have done a good job condemning terrorist violence. It's pointless to be redundant when it's so obvious.
But its -not- pointless when people try to equivocate.
Equivocate what, that Americans are the real terrorists? If that's what you mean, then I agree with you. That's the problem, it seems nobody can point out America's foreign policy mistakes without someone assuming America is being blamed for the whole damn thing. Both sides have been unfair to each other in the past, some more than others of course, but admitting to one or two mistakes is not the same as accepting full responsibility.

M14 Shooter said:
...and remove the fuel with humanitarian-oriented diplomacy the rest of the time. But Bush has a problem with the 2nd part.
How so?
I explained that in the rest of my post. Bush has failed to properly identify the reasons behind anti-Americanism in the Middle East.

"In an interview with The American Conservative magazine, Robert Pape, author of the book Dying to Win, said "The central fact is that overwhelmingly suicide-terrorist attacks are not driven by religion as much as they are by a clear strategic objective: to compel modern democracies to withdraw military forces from the territory that the terrorists view as their homeland. From Lebanon to Sri Lanka to Chechnya to Kashmir to the West Bank, every major suicide-terrorist campaign — over 95 percent of all the incidents — has had as its central objective to compel a democratic state to withdraw.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism#Terrorist_view

But Bush continues to propogate the notion that they just hate for the sake of hating. He doesn't address their arguments, he doesn't even acknowledge that they have an argument. He doesn't do enough to remove the fuel.

M14 Shooter said:
Removing the fuel is what Democrats stress the most, because that's the part Bush keeps forgetting. He doesn't understand why terrorists have targetted us. He tells us they hate our freedoms, they hate democracy, and they have an ideology of hatred.
And Bush is right.
Remember that we were NOT in Iraq when the terrorists attacked us on 9/11.
No, Bush is wrong. Bin Laden's resentment of America turned into flat out hatred during the first gulf war when Saudi Arabia allowed our troops on their "holy land." He wants America out of Saudi Arabia, out of the Middle East entirely for that matter, and wants us to stop supporting Israel. Those are specific arguments that Bush needs to refute, and could easily refute with a little effort, but to my knowledge he hasn't done so. He pins the "religious fanatic" label on him, deservedly so I might add, but that's it. No rebuttal to the specific arguments at all. No effort to quell the sales pitches that terrorists have to recruit more fanatics. It probably wouldn't change bin Laden's mind, but it would certainly make it harder for him and others like him to brainwash people into flying airplanes into our buildings.

M14 Shooter said:
He doesn't acknowledge that people were beheaded in direct retaliation for Abu Ghraib, even though al'Zarqawi, the piece of **** thug responsible for the beheadings, said exactly that.
And that didnt happen because ol' Zarq is watching CNN, right? What did you THINK he was going to say? Do you really think they arent going to use our media for their purposes?
In this case it's not our media being used against us, it's an event that actually happened. Of course it doesn't justify what they did in response, but when it comes to why, I think it's reasonable to consider the answer given by the actual perpertrator. Nobody knows what the real motive was better than al'Zarqawi himself, not even Bush.

M14 Shooter said:
You can't extinguish a fire with gasoline.
Yes you can, if you pour enough on in a short enough time.

M14 Shooter said:
It means removing the threat of terrorism by whatever means necessary. That includes not giving them more reasons to hate, thereby making it as difficult as possible for them to convince others that America deserves to be bombed.
No matter how nice we play with the terrorists, the terrorists will never play nice with us.
You're only considering current terrorists, who probably won't change thier minds about us. I'm talking about future terrorists. People who don't hate America enough to blow themselves up yet, but who can be duped by terrorist propoganda based somewhat on realities like Abu Ghraib, Iran/Contra, US-endorsed sanctions that end upstarving civilians, etc.

Islamic Jihad has been around for more than 20 years. Today's Islamic Jihad does not consist solely of founding members from 20 years ago. To be around for that long, they need to constantly recruit more terrorists. They need to sell their case and convince others that America/Israel deserves to be bombed. That ability to recruit needs to be shut down if we ever hope to curtail the terrorist problem. American foreign policy "mistakes" make their recruiting efforts easier, not harder.

Last edited:

M14 Shooter said:
In just the last 35 years there have been at least 2 years (1973, 1974) where it was lower.

And in any event, the average is what matters; Bush worst year is still 0.3% below that average.

If you think below-average poverty rates are a sign that Bush is "failing", you must be a partisan bigot.

That's a pretty slick way to use statistics. 37 million Americans - 13 million of them children, are living in poverty, 4.5 million more than when Bush was first inaugurated.

Poverty levels have went up for Bush every year he has been in office.

2 points from the same site:

All people below poverty level All families below poverty level
Year Total Number Percent Total Number Percent

2004...... 290,605 36,997 12.7 241,153 26,564 11.0
2003...... 287,699 35,861 12.5 238,903 25,684 10.8
2002...... 285,317 34,570 12.1 236,921 24,534 10.4
2001...... 281,475 32,907 11.7 233,911 23,215 9.9
2000 12/.. 278,944 31,581 11.3 231,909 22,347 9.6
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/histpov/hstpov2.html

Poverty: 2004 Highlights

The data presented here are from the Current Population Survey (CPS), 2005 Annual Social and Economic Supplement (ASEC), the source of official poverty estimates. The CPS ASEC is a sample survey of approximately 100,000 household nationwide. These data reflect conditions in calendar year 2004.

HIGHLIGHTS

The official poverty rate in 2004 was 12.7 percent, up from 12.5 percent 2003.

In 2004, 37.0 million people were in poverty, up 1.1 million from 2003.

Poverty rates remained unchanged for Blacks (24.7 percent) and Hispanics (21.9 percent), rose for non-Hispanic Whites (8.6 percent in 2004, up from 8.2 percent in 2003) and decreased for Asians (9.8 percent in 2004, down from 11.8 percent in 2003).

The poverty rate in 2004 (12.7 percent) was 9.7 percentage points lower than in 1959, the first year for which poverty estimates are available (Figure 3). From the most recent trough in 2000 both the number and rate have risen for four consecutive years, from 31.6 million and 11.3 percent in 2000, to 37.0 million and 12.7 percent in 2004 respectively.

For children under 18 years old, both the 2004 poverty rate (17.8 percent) and the number in poverty (13.0 million) remained unchanged from 2003. The poverty rate for children under 18 remained higher than that of 18-to-64-year olds (11.3 percent) and that of people aged 65 and over (9.8 percent).

Both the poverty rate and number in poverty increased for people 18 to 64 years old (11.3 percent and 20.5 million in 2004, up from 10.8 percent and 19.4 million in 2003).

The poverty rate decreased for seniors aged 65 and over was 9.8 percent in 2004, down from 10.2 percent in 2003, while the number in poverty in 2004 (3.5 million) was unchanged

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/poverty04/pov04hi.html

Binary_Digit said:
But Bush continues to propogate the notion that they just hate for the sake of hating. He doesn't address their arguments, he doesn't even acknowledge that they have an argument. He doesn't do enough to remove the fuel.
One must wonder:
if this is the case, then why dont these people address this with their governments, who allow, if not ask us outright, to be wherever we are?
And if their governments do not take up their complaints, why do they attack us rather than their own governments?

No, Bush is wrong. Bin Laden's resentment of America turned into flat out hatred during the first gulf war when Saudi Arabia allowed our troops on their "holy land."
This has always puzzled me: he hates the US because the Saudis allow us/ask us to be there.
Why didn't the attack them instead of us?

He wants America out of Saudi Arabia, out of the Middle East entirely for that matter, and wants us to stop supporting Israel. Those are specific arguments that Bush needs to refute, and could easily refute with a little effort, but to my knowledge he hasn't done so
Do they really NEED to be refuted? The "why" in each of these things is obvious -- and if we explain ourselves, what effect will this have on the terrorists? Why would they buy our reasons for suppoting Israel?

It probably wouldn't change bin Laden's mind, but it would certainly make it harder for him and others like him to brainwash people into flying airplanes into our buildings.
I doubt it. For any of this to hold any water, the message we send 'refuting' ObLs' (et al) argument must actually make it to these people, and they must be of an open enough mind to believe it. Don't see either of those things happening.

In this case it's not our media being used against us, it's an event that actually happened. Of course it doesn't justify what they did in response, but when it comes to why, I think it's reasonable to consider the answer given by the actual perpertrator. Nobody knows what the real motive was better than al'Zarqawi himself, not even Bush
So....
If there had been no Abu Graihb, there would have been no beheadings?
You REALLY believe that? For you to actually believe your argument, above, you MUST believe there would have been no beheadings.

You're only considering current terrorists, who probably won't change thier minds about us. I'm talking about future terrorists. People who don't hate America enough to blow themselves up yet, but who can be duped by terrorist propoganda based somewhat on realities like Abu Ghraib, Iran/Contra, US-endorsed sanctions that end upstarving civilians, etc.
Terrorist propaganda... brought to them by their Islaofascist religious leaders.
Why would these people believe anything Bush has to say over their Imam?

hipsterdufus said:
That's a pretty slick way to use statistics. 37 million Americans - 13 million of them children, are living in poverty, 4.5 million more than when Bush was first inaugurated.
Poverty levels have went up for Bush every year he has been in office.
And.... his worst poverty rate is still below the 35-year average.

When you go from a remarkably low poverty rate to a still-better-than average poverty rate the change in raw numbers may very well be large -- but in terms that can actually be related to one another, the level of poverty is STILL historically low.

M14 Shooter said:
And.... his worst poverty rate is still below the 35-year average.

When you go from a remarkably low poverty rate to a still-better-than average poverty rate the change in raw numbers may very well be large -- but in terms that can actually be related to one another, the level of poverty is STILL historically low.
Man oh man, you're quite the spinster aren't you? The poverty rate has increased every year that Bush's been president affecting millions of Americans and you make it sound like he's doing a good job! Shame on you!

Spin is not going to change the facts and America is on to the Bush cabal's games. His economic policies are stilted, they favor the rich at the expense of the poor, a very, very evil and sad commentary on Neocon policies.

I can't get over how you actually wrote several posts praising Bush for his record on poverty!

26 X World Champs said:
Man oh man, you're quite the spinster aren't you? The poverty rate has increased every year that Bush's been president affecting millions of Americans and you make it sound like he's doing a good job! Shame on you!

Spin is not going to change the facts and America is on to the Bush cabal's games. His economic policies are stilted, they favor the rich at the expense of the poor, a very, very evil and sad commentary on Neocon policies.

I can't get over how you actually wrote several posts praising Bush for his record on poverty!

Bush's Policies are not really to favor the rich at the expens of the poor. His, and the last dozen or more Preisdents, have had economic policies that favor the State at the expense of the citizenry. he may have guven tokens to the wealthiest, but the fact remain, priority number one, is the State.

26 X World Champs said:
Man oh man, you're quite the spinster aren't you? The poverty rate has increased every year that Bush's been president affecting millions of Americans and you make it sound like he's doing a good job!
Facts are facts.
Fact is, poverty, even under the worst Bush year, is below the historical average.

Boy, talk about spin... any other talking points you want to add?

When its below the historical average by a significant degree - what else is there to do?

M14 Shooter said:

He thinks if he keeps spouting a lie sooner or later people will begin to believe it..Unfortunately that is true about our friends on the left........

Facts are the economy is booming, unemployment is the lowest its been in 40 years, construction of neww homes is at and all time high, inflation is a,most zero and interest rates remain low...................

As we talk about poverty, people are missing a few key points:

1. "Poverty" is an arbitrary term. The poverty line changes yearly, and is highly subjective. What one may term poverty, another may term relative stability.

2. It doesn't matter how the absolute numbers change. The only thing that matters is percentage (although that barely matters, see above). To talk about absolutes is disingenuous. If you want to look at it that way, the best president in terms of fighting poverty was Washington, because there was such a small number of people in poverty.

3. I wonder if these numbers take into account illegal immigrants? There are 11 million of them at last count, and I'm willing to bet the majority of them are below the poverty line. That would certainly skew the number one way or the other.

4. There was a recession. That affects people in poverty. Not Bush's fault (please tell me that people don't still think he caused the recession).

RightatNYU said:

1. "Poverty" is an arbitrary term. The poverty line changes yearly, and is highly subjective. What one may term poverty, another may term relative stability.

2. It doesn't matter how the absolute numbers change. The only thing that matters is percentage (although that barely matters, see above). To talk about absolutes is disingenuous. If you want to look at it that way, the best president in terms of fighting poverty was Washington, because there was such a small number of people in poverty.

3. I wonder if these numbers take into account illegal immigrants? There are 11 million of them at last count, and I'm willing to bet the majority of them are below the poverty line. That would certainly skew the number one way or the other.

4. There was a recession. That affects people in poverty. Not Bush's fault (please tell me that people don't still think he caused the recession).

But he did cause the recession. And Katrina too. And my car's almost out of gas. That's his fault as well.

Kelzie said:
But he did cause the recession. And Katrina too. And my car's almost out of gas. That's his fault as well.

I stubbed my toe. CURSE YOU FORMER PRESIDENT JIMMY CARTER!!!!!

RightatNYU said:
I stubbed my toe. CURSE YOU FORMER PRESIDENT JIMMY CARTER!!!!!

What? No...Bush. Try and stay on track here.

RightatNYU said:

Don't you know Liberals blame every thing on President Bush be it 9/11/01 or hurricane Katrina but not for a second will they give him credit for this country not having another terrorist attack in over 4 years...........

26 X World Champs said:
How inept is it to condemn an entire country's people of a singular political issue that is only one small, tiny, window into a country's population? It's ridiculous! You write broad untrue generalizations and actually expect readers to believe you?

Because I list only a single instance doesn't mean it's the only instance. Didn't anyone ever teach you that absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence?

Hmm...in the last two German national elections, anti-Americanism played a major role.

Germany took bribes from Saddam Hussein and magically voted against UN resolutions supporting an intervention against him.

Germany restricts freedom of speech and expression.

They got beer, they got sausages, they got the occasional busty blonde. Other than that, what's Germany good for?

26 X World Champs said:
I feel very, very comfortable in my opinion that your posts are the strongest proof of xenophobia that I've seen in this community in a very long time.

Most ignorant people are very comfortable in their ignorance. Why should you be different?

26 X World Champs said:
It's black and white really. I don't see how anyone can defend your point of view that all French, all Germans, all everyone other than Americans suck.

"Anyone"? I'm not asking anyone to defend my viewpoints. Why would I? I defend them just fine.

Ah, the French. World leader in surrenders. Always out to blame someone else for their troubles. Do you realize that after Surya Bonaly fell on her ass, not once, but twice in the 1994(?) winter olympics the French claimed the panel of judges was racist because Miss Bonaly was black? Needless to say, the French also conspired with the Russians in a later Olympic skating scandal.

But that's just skating. The French keep their pet muslims out in the ghetto, where they belong. I guess that's something good about them, except the French are so inept they can't stop their pets from burning cars.

Hmmm...France...UN...Oil for Food Scandal...Jac Chirac...no, no, nothing wrong with the French national character.

Heck, the French didn't even give that paparazzi dude a medal for offing Princess Diana. What ingrates!

26 X World Champs said:
If Americans believed like you do we'd probably all be dead by now having started a nuclear war decades ago. Fortunately your xenophobia is accepted only by the smallest minority of Americans and carries absolutely zero weight. Thank God!

Actually, if Americans had believed as I did, World War II wouldn't have happened, since the country wouldn't have been stupid enough to get dragged in to pull France and Britain's chestnuts out of the fire. The squabbling babies would have had to solve their own dispute and there wouldn't have been a Versailles Treaty to deal with after.

Things are so much better for us when we don't care about others.

26 X World Champs said:
Thpught it would be fun to get back on topic. Navy Pride started this thread asking a poll question that was almost as stilted as anything ever written here. Interetingly even with the most biased of choices the non-scientific poll has only 55% agreeing with Navy Pride. Now I take no credence in this type of polling since it is totally unscientific and in this poll in particular the 2nd choice is incredibly mindless:

Not only is the question biased he even had the balls to throw in Vietnam as if the reason we lost Vietnam was that we "cut and run" (wasn't Nixon President during the last 6 years of Vietnam?)

Excuse me? Are you really that ignorant?

The last US combat troops left Vietnam in February, 1973. Saigon fell in April, 1975.

When our men left, Vietnam was in the win column, just like Korea. What happened after the troops left Vietnam was the Surrender Monkey faction of the Democrat Party (they were called Reds, then) gained ascendency thanks to Nixon's screw-up, and they reneged on promises to aid the S. Vietnamese.

That's exactly what today's Surrender Monkeys are dying to do to Iraq. Note the recent flag waving (yellow flag) by the Democrats.

Domestic political pressure by pro-communist sympathizers prevented the United States from fighting to the damn war in 'Nam as wars should be fought, to the death and for the clear win. No, the cowardly generation best exemplified by the rapist draft dodging perjurer they later put in the White House forced a fictitious loss on an otherwise spotless American victory record.

Oh, and Vietnam is another one of those countries that I wouldn't miss if it went away.

M14 Shooter said:

Here's the statement and the web site I got the info from, (2nd web site) and one other about the poverty level since Bush has been in office. If I were you I wouldn't make a habit of bragging about Bush's record in this regard.

http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Jan04/Shaft0122.htm

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_1567.shtml

Hoot said:
Here's the statement and the web site I got the info from, (2nd web site) and one other about the poverty level since Bush has been in office.

So.... were you wrong or did you lie?

M14 Shooter said:
So.... were you wrong or did you lie?

LOL! Am I getting to you, or something?

If you read the 2nd web site, you'll see..about 4-5 paragraphs down where it states the poverty level was the lowest in recorded history when Bush took office, although..to be fair, it may have been referring to just the 'black' poverty rate? ( Now that I re-read it)

Not everyone can write as clearly and concisely as I. LOL

By the way, I have never lied on these forums, although some links may have inaccurate of misleading info? This is true of anyone in these forums who has ever provided a link. My own personal statements and views I take full responsibility for.

Hoot said:
If you read the 2nd web site, you'll see..about 4-5 paragraphs down where it states the poverty level was the lowest in recorded history when Bush took office

Yes. And then you repeated this incorrect information.

Did you lie or were you wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom