• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AP: Handful of holdout tribes dig in against gay marriage

Interesting. The tribes here are absolutely wrong, and will end up on the wrong side of history. But interesting none the less.

Interesting. The tribes here are absolutely wrong, and will end up on the wrong side of history. But interesting none the less.
I always wonder if, 100 or 1000 years from now, the people who make absolute statements such as this will be viewed as the ones who were wrong.

I always wonder if, 100 or 1000 years from now, the people who make absolute statements such as this will be viewed as the ones who were wrong.

Nope.

If in 100 or 1000 years we've reverted to discriminating against homosexuals, then we've taken a massive step backwards and I frankly couldn't give a **** less what those bigots have to say. Maybe in 100 or 1000 years we'll re-enslave ethnic minorities and do away with that women's suffrage thingy.

Navy Pride's bigoted generation is dying off and it's being replaced by more compassionate ones. Luckily for us societal evolution has tended to favor tolerance and equality over hatred and bigotry.

Claiming NAs are on the "wrong side of history" is rather a ludicrous statement, isn't it? It was proven NA's were on the "wrong side of history" in relation to white people and the American government over 200 years ago.

However, white people have always agreed with you that you white people need to tell Native Americans what to think and how to act - and to try to forcibly require total compliance.

Last edited:
If in 100 or 1000 years we've reverted to discriminating against homosexuals, then we've taken a massive step backwards and I frankly couldn't give a **** less what those bigots have to say. Maybe in 100 or 1000 years we'll re-enslave ethnic minorities and do away with that women's suffrage thingy.

Navy Pride's bigoted generation is dying off and it's being replaced by more compassionate ones. Luckily for us societal evolution has tended to favor tolerance and equality over hatred and bigotry.

No, rather the intolerance, inequality and xenophobia just continues to shift.

Sad, because Native American tribes have a long history of accepting LGBT people in their communities and having SSM. Well, up until the point where Christian missionaries influenced the tribes and lead them to discrimination. Very sad.

Sad, because Native American tribes have a long history of accepting LGBT people in their communities and having SSM. Well, up until the point where Christian missionaries influenced the tribes and lead them to discrimination. Very sad.

Native American tribes have a long history of intolerance towards anyone other than their own -often meaning killing them - and there is no such thing as the universal Native American perspective. Virtually no NA tribes accepted SSM nor had any concept of it. That you can dig to find some except and declare THAT was the view of NA tribes is nothing but searching for an exception to try to prove your claimed universal fact.

The only NAs I personally knew very much hated and despised gays - as in intensely, threateningly and worse. They also did not believe in gender equality. Not ALL NA tribes strive to be trendy white-world politically correct.

None of us will be around 100 or 1000 years from now.

But my guess is that tolerance and inclusion will win out over intolerance and exclusion.

Wait and see what happens in your lifetime.

"Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

This will have very little effect on what's going to happen in the USA.

The older, intolerant, people are all going to die eventually and be replaced by younger, tolerant, people.

Wait and see.

No one can stop time and/or change.

The clock is ticking. :roll:

There are 566 federally recognized Native American tribes.

But my guess is that tolerance and inclusion will win out over intolerance and exclusion.

"Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

On a worldwide basis I predict that intolerance and exclusion, lose of freedom and various xenophobia will increase. Gay rights is a drop in the bucket issue in comparison. Just because gay rights is a constant drum being beaten by American media, that does not mean it has a greater importance because of the noise.

On a worldwide basis I predict that intolerance and exclusion, lose of freedom and various xenophobia will increase.
Gay rights is a drop in the bucket issue in comparison. Just because gay rights is a constant drum being beaten by American media, that does not mean it has a greater importance because of the noise.

I predict that you are wrong. Overall the human race is way better than you think it is.

I predict that you are wrong. Overall the human race is way better than you think it is.

History supports my view of human nature, not yours.

The history of the future in the USA hasn't been written yet and you won't be around to read it.

But don't let that stop you from telling the world your opinion . :roll:

:lamo

There are 566 federally recognized Native American tribes.

And none of them rule over the entire USA.

So what any of them think doesn't mean much to most Americans.

And certainly won't affect how the U.S. Supreme Court rules on same-sex marriage.

Wrap your mind around that fact.

In other words, we're just suckers for the prevailing thought of our own era.

Don't you mean that a new and different intolerance and exclusion will win out over the current intolerance and exclusion?

Nietzche agreed with you.

"The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad."

Friedrich Nietzsche

He was wrong too. They tried and failed.

The history of the future in the USA hasn't been written yet and you won't be around to read it.

But don't let that stop you from telling the world your opinion . :roll:

:lamo

You spout your view plenty enough.

This will have very little effect on what's going to happen in the USA.

The older, intolerant, people are all going to die eventually and be replaced by younger, tolerant, people.

Wait and see.

No one can stop time and/or change.

The clock is ticking. :roll:

:shrug: we've been here (culturally) before.

radcen said:
In other words, we're just suckers for the prevailing thought of our own era.

Pretty much :) The temptation to universal projection is strong.

Nietzche agreed with you.

"The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad."

Friedrich Nietzsche

He was wrong too. They tried and failed.

Many on this forum have hate-Christians brain fever.

Christianity has NOTHING to do with this topic whatsover, but you, Smoke and some others on the forum tend to try to find any way to divert topics to your personal hatred of Christianity.

Catholic and Protestant priests and ministers saved millions of NA lives and many Amerindian tribes in South America, Central American and the North American Southeast from complete extinction.

Amerindians originally had the legal status of livestock. Common practice was that all not suited for working livestock would be mass driven into lakes or over cliffs, used as target and sword practice. Those suitable as livestock would quickly be worked and abused to death. The result was the total extinction of the Amerindians of the Caribbean. These practices only changed when Catholic Priests obtained a decree that Amerindians had souls, thus were humans. With this they could be treated as slaves, but not as non-human.

In North America, Christian priests often were often who preached against "the only good Indian is a dead Indian."

To claim NAs of the USA would be pro SSM but for Christians is the product of a fixation on hatred of Christians and nothing else.

Last edited:

Do they?

Native Americans were never a monolithic group- even before contact with Europeans. They constitute over 550 tribes and independent bands. The social differences between the groups could be vast. In short, your claim seems pretty blanket.

This might be due to:

A- Romanticizing native american cultures as an all tolerant people living in wise harmony with each other and with the environment.
B- Paternalistic attitude "I support "X", ergo all "enlightened" cultures must also really support "X". If they dont, then somebody else must have made them unenlightned."

Last edited:
Do they?

Native Americans were never a monolithic group- even before contact with Europeans. They constitute over 550 tribes and independent bands. The social differences between the groups could be vast. In short, your claim seems pretty blanket.

This might be due to:

A- Romanticizing native american cultures as an all tolerant people living in wise harmony with each other and with nature.
B- Paternalistic attitude "I support "X", ergo all enlightened cultures must also really support "X". If they dont, then somebody else must have made them unenlightned."
OMG, I love this post.

Back
Top Bottom