• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AOC Bashes Elon Musk’s $8 Twitter Verification Subscription

Incorrect, if you want that blue star you have to have documentation as to your ID and verify it through Twitter.
Not just anyone that pays $8 can get a blue star saying they are Carli B for instance. It really has to be her.
The documentation requirements aren't really all that stringent and this service is very likely to open up verification to scammers. Even verified accounts get hacked from time to time. I don't really put much stock in Musk's promise that “If a paid Blue account engages in spam/scam, that account will be suspended.”, when Twitter has had a bad track record when it comes to responding to scammers and spammers promptly. A problem that will likely only get worse now that he's laying off half of the entire workforce. The reason this verification service was free is because the users ARE the product and THEY are what is being sold to the advertisers. Elon doesn't seem to get that. Instead it would appear he's more focused on trying to claw back whatever money he can from the users to soften the blow from his historically stupid business deal. Nor do I have much faith that he won't end up turning Twitter into the hellscape he has promised to avoid turning it into. Advertisers are already nervous about that scenario coming about as many have their paused their payments until they get some clarity and reassurance from Musk and his team on what Twitter's posting standards are going to be moving forward after having witnessed a number concerning missteps in that respect by Musk almost immediately upon his taking control of the company.

Twitter without AOC? Sounds pretty good.

Except they've already announced that they won't be verifying the accounts of people who pay for the blue check.
The goal is to verify it's a real person and not a bot.

It's not cost-effective to run 10,000 bots if it costs you $80K a month.

You're misunderstanding. They're not going to charge every Twitter account $8/month. Just people who want that dumb blue checkmark. Bots already don't have that.

I was undecided on this issue. However, if AOC is condemning it, it must have some merit.

I was undecided on this issue. However, if AOC is condemning it, it must have some merit.
So noble of her to take time off from her busy job as an internet influencer to sit in congress.

I will not own an electric vehicle now or ever. In my neck of the woods it would make no sense. As for a tipping point, whenever that its, I am all for getting rid of the oil pig, though I doubt it will happen in my lifetime and I don't think EVs are the solution.

I really don’t care what you read on Fox Noise. When the battery in my Prius died after 300,000 miles, I replaced it with a rebuilt one for $600.

You’re dealing with exaggerated BS from a right wing trash source that is fully invested in promoting big oil’s interests.

You will almost certainly own an EV. Probably within the next ten years. You may be the last one on your block to do so. And you’ll be mad because nobody will give you anything for your old gasser. After all ,they’re already diritier, significantly less reliable and significantly more expensive to operate. People who own electrics and hybrids know that already.

As the charging infrastructure expands, and people begin to realize that the scare stories that right wing media peddles, are just that, scare stories, they’ll begin to move forward.

Of course, they’ll also finally realize that they really don’t need a lot of charging infrastructure, except on long trips. It’s great to have a full battery when you get up every morning.

Last edited:
So noble of her to take time off from her busy job as an internet influencer to sit in congress.

I though you were talking about that Greene woman. She can hardly be bothered with being a functioning congresswoman.

That depends.

Russian intelligence can afford that. However, it’s been doing it for free for nearly a decade now.

The advertisers care of the twitter users are real.

The right wing audience doesn’t.

And neither does Moscow.

You're misunderstanding. They're not going to charge every Twitter account $8/month. Just people who want that dumb blue checkmark. Bots already don't have that.
But Bill Maher 46 gets a blue check mark, the 1st 45 don't. If he pays $8 for it.

Charging for verification is an insane business strategy that will end up costing Twitter a lot of users and money. Taking something historically free then charging for it has never really worked.
How does an optional payment represent a destruction of the business? Nobody is required to pay it. If there is some benefit to it some people will pay it. As for me, I see no benefit in using Twitter at all. You badly underestimate an entrepreneurial genius.

How does an optional payment represent a destruction of the business? Nobody is required to pay it. If there is some benefit to it some people will pay it. As for me, I see no benefit in using Twitter at all. You badly underestimate an entrepreneurial genius.
An entrepreneurial genius that seems to have lost his mind. That often happens when someone gets that rich, they get detached from reality.

Twitter wasn't very profitable before, and even if every verified user agreed to start paying money for something they got for free, it still wouldn't be enough. Combine that with all the advertisers who are abandoning the site because they don't want their brand associated with nazis, racists and conspiracy theorists, and the users leaving for the same reasons, the prognosis isn't good.

If you see a realistic path to success here, by all means, lay it out for us. Simply declaring Musk could never, ever make a mistake isn't convincing anyone. Hilarious that even you see no value in Twitter yet here you are trying to convince me there's value in Twitter.

An entrepreneurial genius that seems to have lost his mind. That often happens when someone gets that rich, they get detached from reality.

Twitter wasn't very profitable before, and even if every verified user agreed to start paying money for something they got for free, it still wouldn't be enough. Combine that with all the advertisers who are abandoning the site because they don't want their brand associated with nazis, racists and conspiracy theorists, and the users leaving for the same reasons, the prognosis isn't good.

If you see a realistic path to success here, by all means, lay it out for us. Simply declaring Musk could never, ever make a mistake isn't convincing anyone. Hilarious that even you see no value in Twitter yet here you are trying to convince me there's value in Twitter.
Musk has always been a non conformist. No surprise that he still is one. I appreciate your expertise in running a business but I would put my money on Musk. There is financial value in Twitter. In my view there is no societal value in Twitter. I have no interest in the opinions of the famous so I don't use it. Help yourself. It isn't for me.

Musk has always been a non conformist. No surprise that he still is one. I appreciate your expertise in running a business but I would put my money on Musk. There is financial value in Twitter. In my view there is no societal value in Twitter. I have no interest in the opinions of the famous so I don't use it. Help yourself. It isn't for me.
So no, you can't provide one single argument as to why this is a good idea, your only argument is Musk could never make a mistake so it must automatically be a good idea.

You addressed nothing I said and provided no real opinion or position of your own. If you're going to be this lazy just run along then. Thanks for stopping by.

So no, you can't provide one single argument as to why this is a good idea, your only argument is Musk could never make a mistake so it must automatically be a good idea.

You addressed nothing I said and provided no real opinion or position of your own. If you're going to be this lazy just run along then. Thanks for stopping by.
Thanks for criticizing what I didn't say. Seems like normal nonsense here. You expressed an opinion. Opinions can't be proven. I posted an opposing opinion. Opinions are just opinions. If you don't like mine free to criticize or ignore. But don't put some sort debating chain around my neck over opinions. Opinions are just opinions.

Thanks for criticizing what I didn't say. Seems like normal nonsense here. You expressed an opinion. Opinions can't be proven. I posted an opposing opinion. Opinions are just opinions. If you don't like mine free to criticize or ignore. But don't put some sort debating chain around my neck over opinions. Opinions are just opinions.
I laid out the reasons I think this was a bad investment. You repeatedly stated that Musk is too genius to ever make a bad business decision, and that's the only argument you've made. You refuse to back up in any way WHY you think this was a good investment. You're lazy and you can neither defend your viewpoint nor attack any of the points I've made.

This is a debate site, not an Elon Musk dick sucking competition.

If he was an entrepreneurial genius he wouldn't be so focused on a $20m revenue stream (and that's being generous) for a company that has $1-1.5bn in interest payments on the debt. He also wouldn't have bought it at this insane price and put so much debt on it if he was an "entrepreneurial genius". He also would have, you know, had an actual business plan in place for the investment before buying it instead of seemingly having no clue what he's doing.

He'll probably need to nickel and dime more users now that it appears that advertisers are hesitant to fund a site that allows nazis to have n word contests.
Honestly, Facebook is lacking, I am currently banned for saying Thanks Training Nazi! She was my supervisor Training Leader. It was a joke
he'll probably get $8/month from MTG and Lauren and DeSantis.,

all for a blue dot the size of this emoji :ROFLMAO:
nope they get red dots lol

Honestly, Facebook is lacking, I am currently banned for saying Thanks Training Nazi! She was my supervisor Training Leader. It was a joke

nope they get red dots lol

The main problem with charging for the blue tick is it makes it completely meaningless.

But hey, it’s his $40 billion toy to piss up the wall, I think at this point as I’ve pointed out for a long time, he gets far too much credit for his so called “accomplishments” which were likely the work of people far More competent than himself.

I really don’t care what you read on Fox Noise. When the battery in my Prius died after 300,000 miles, I replaced it with a rebuilt one for $600.

You’re dealing with exaggerated BS from a right wing trash source that is fully invested in promoting big oil’s interests.
The anti-Fox stuff is just a bizarre left wing rant not really worth taking seriously As fr your Prius, is it an all EV? Or a hybrid? If it's all EV, I don't take your claim of a $600 repacement battery seriously.
You will almost certainly own an EV. Probably within the next ten years. You may be the last one on your block to do so. And you’ll be mad because nobody will give you anything for your old gasser. After all ,they’re already diritier, significantly less reliable and significantly more expensive to operate.
No, I will certainly not own an EV. Even if I had a high opinion of them, I would not pay the inflated price for one. What's the latest price for a Tesla?
People who own electrics and hybrids know that already.
Not sure which part of I favor ultimately getting rid of the oil pig you don't understand. Hybrids I don't have that much of a problem. All EV? I would be foolish to buy one. It would not work out for me. I do far too much travel to have to deal with charging stations. And in my neck of the woods the infrastructure for EVs is very limited, and that will not be remedied in 10 years. And there will be other alternatives.
As the charging infrastructure expands, and people begin to realize that the scare stories that right wing media peddles, are just that, scare stories, they’ll begin to move forward.
But then I am not hitting you with scare stories, I am hitting you with actual happenings If you have an all EV and like it? More power to you. Step outside and kiss it if you like. It will not work for me. And chances are if you break down in your EV and need a tow, the tow truck that rescues you will be gasoline or diesel powered.
Of course, they’ll also finally realize that they really don’t need a lot of charging infrastructure, except on long trips. It’s great to have a full battery when you get up every morning.
I take alot of long trips, buddy. On a busy month, I surpass 3000 miles. Even if the infrastructure existed and worked as advertised, it would not be practical for me.

If he was an entrepreneurial genius he wouldn't be so focused on a $20m revenue stream (and that's being generous) for a company that has $1-1.5bn in interest payments on the debt. He also wouldn't have bought it at this insane price and put so much debt on it if he was an "entrepreneurial genius". He also would have, you know, had an actual business plan in place for the investment before buying it instead of seemingly having no clue what he's doing.
What would he know. You are the expert.

Back
Top Bottom