• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone Own a Belgian Malinois?

Jay Falcon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Do you own - or have you in the past owned - a Belgian Malinois?

We're moving to the country in December and decided to get one. We want a dog who will be a great companion but also an excellent watchdog, as there are a lot of home robberies in this area.

It seems like all you read about them is how high-energy they are and the insane amount of physical/mental exercise they need. I've never owned a working dog before, nor even a pure breed dog, but we're prepared to put in the work: trainers, daily workouts and obedience and protection training.

Any tips from present or past owners?

We currently have two. We have had four in all (two have previously passed on).

They need a job. And it sounds like you have one. Also, being in the country will help a great deal because they can get plenty of exercise.

All said about their high drive and neurosis, I would not choose another breed. Outside of Border Collies, probably the smartest and most biddable breeds there is.

We currently have two. We have had four in all (two have previously passed on).

They need a job. And it sounds like you have one. Also, being in the country will help a great deal because they can get plenty of exercise.
Thanks for the reply.

How often do you walk or take them out? How do you keep them occupied and physically active?

Thanks for the reply.

How often do you walk or take them out? How do you keep them occupied and physically active?

They get walked every day at least a couple of miles and in the evenings, the youngest one swims in the pool. The winter requires other activities in the evening. Also, the youngest does competition obedience and rally so gets training quite often. A "lazy" day is the walk only.

The oldest is 10 and is living a 10 year old dog's life and doesn't do much other than the morning walk.

To own a hi-energy dog, you need to make a life-time, (the dog’s,) commitment. We had a GSD for 12 wonderful years, and it was a lot of work, but rewarding.

They get walked every day at least a couple of miles and in the evenings, the youngest one swims in the pool. The winter requires other activities in the evening. Also, the youngest does competition obedience and rally so gets training quite often. A "lazy" day is the walk only.

The oldest is 10 and is living a 10 year old dog's life and doesn't do much other than the morning walk.
Is it absolutely necessary for the dog to have it's own kennel?

I've had several dogs before but never thought about buying one.

Have you had any dogs in the past?

@Jay Falcon
Yes. But they were all muts/mixed-breed dogs.

I never trained them or anything, just let them be. But we are 100% committed to training this dog with a professional and learning everything we need to know to give it a healthy, fulfilling life.

Yes. But they were all muts/mixed-breed dogs.

I never trained them or anything, just let them be. But we are 100% committed to training this dog with a professional and learning everything we need to know to give it a healthy, fulfilling life.
Talk to as many people, with experience in this breed, before you take on the commitment. ..and read up.

This isn’t a “house dog.”

Good luck! I am tired just reading that. Our police dogs are usually M's and they are...intense.
Wiener dogs are more my energy level. My avatar demonstrates my ideal energy level 23 hours a day.

Talk to as many people, with experience in this breed, before you take on the commitment. ..and read up.

This isn’t a “house dog.”
We have been reading up and talking to people (including breeders and trainers) for months. As you can see, I've started this thread to gather additional feedback and advice.

When you say it's not a house dog, do you mean it cannot be trained to guard a house?

I should add that both my wife and I work from home, with flexible schedules.

We are both excited and motivated to make this work.

We have been reading up and talking to people (including breeders and trainers) for months. As you can see, I've started this thread to gather additional feedback and advice.

When you say it's not a house dog, do you mean it cannot be trained to guard a house?
I can speak only of my GSD friend. I have have heard that the breed you are looking at is very high maintenance which is hard to explain unless you are ready for it. A dog like this will need more than being let out in the yard, now and then. I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but too many times people decide that the dog ”didn’t work out,” and the dog suffers. Are you young and full of energy?

By “house dog,” I mean a pet that can be ignored from time to time.

That's great, because I prefer the dog to spend most of its time outside anyway.
That breed doesn’t want to be alone in the yard.

I can speak only of my GSD friend. I have have heard that the breed you are looking at is very high maintenance which is hard to explain unless you are ready for it. A dog like this will need more than being let out in the yard, now and then. I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but too many times people decide that the dog ”didn’t work out,” and the dog suffers. Are you young and full of energy?

By “house dog,” I mean a pet that can be ignored from time to time.
No offense, but have you bothered reading the OP and my other posts in this thread?

We are both excited and motivated to make this work.
Good luck to you and your wife. I've never owned one, but they are beautiful dogs. Excellent that you both work from home, perfect for any dog owner.

No offense, but have you bothered reading the OP and my other posts in this thread?
I have, thinking you are ready is different from being ready, that’s all. There are too many dogs that are discarded after their owners tire of them. BM is a special breed and not a boutique dog because you got a whim or think they look good. You said you just let your other dogs be, IIRC, there is a whole ‘ other world with a large purebreed, working dog. That’s all I am saying, I hope your path works for you.

Is it absolutely necessary for the dog to have it's own kennel?

I've had several dogs before but never thought about buying one.

If you mean a crate, then yes. But I only use them when traveling.

That will make a huge difference. Especially around 1500 when the afternoon nap is over.

Do you own - or have you in the past owned - a Belgian Malinois?

We're moving to the country in December and decided to get one. We want a dog who will be a great companion but also an excellent watchdog, as there are a lot of home robberies in this area.

It seems like all you read about them is how high-energy they are and the insane amount of physical/mental exercise they need. I've never owned a working dog before, nor even a pure breed dog, but we're prepared to put in the work: trainers, daily workouts and obedience and protection training.

Any tips from present or past owners?

We have friends with two - both are excellent dogs, but as the other poster said - they NEED a job, something to keep their brains occupied. Eager to please and train, and generally good socially (but they need the training). Our friends are in law enforcement, btw - which is perfect for the Malinois.

Sounds like your environment would be right up their alley though.

Good luck!

My wife and I don't have any children, nor do we plan to have any, ever.
The dog and its needs will not be ignored.
Hopefully you'll have an adequately fenced yard.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom