• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone else excited about the Olympics?

I dig the Olympics. I like watching some of the sports I don't get to watch regularly. I also like some of the stories like countries that are participating for the first time like Kosovo.

ME!!! :mrgreen:

I'm always excited about the Olympics. My wife and I watch it every cycle, both Summer and Winter games.

I havent watched it in ages. I would be interested in watching it again if they bring back the tug of war, rope climbing, and dueling pistols as events. Oh, and add MMA too!

I'm always amazed by the technology in the opening ceremonies. I like seeing what the different countries come up with.

I havent watched it in ages. I would be interested in watching it again if they bring back the tug of war, rope climbing, and dueling pistols as events. Oh, and add MMA too!

Lol...wouldn't that be interesting.

'And Rogers has been shot right through the head while Tibor was just grazed in the right shoulder! Looks like another gold for Bulgaria in the duelling pistols category.

We have just heard that the judges have disqualified Tibor for an illegal sight on his pistol. So it's gold for Rogers and America. Of course, he will have to receive his gold medal posthumously.

And the official places the gold medal on Rogers coffin on the top step of the podium...a brilliant win for the American...albeit not in the way he would wish, surely.
Tibor receives silver and Patrick - sadly minus his left eye - receives bronze for Canada in the 50 meter duelling pistols competition.
Tomorrow is the 10 meter finals which, of course, have been cancelled due to both finalists having - sadly - passed away early this morning.'

Last edited:
Not to put down anyone else's enthusiasm, I've never been less excited about an Olympics. But I do kind of feel sorry for Brazil. This Zika virus thing is a mess. And for now I associate it with that country. Not fair, I know. As it spreads throughout the planet, I guess that will pass. Kind of like Haiti was associated with the new disease (yet to be called AIDS) in the beginning of that epidemic.

Every successive Olympics I seem to care about them less and less.

A bunch of taxpayer-funded athletes who compete in a dizzying number of events.

Golf?!? An Olympic sport? What's next? Chess? Video games? Pie Eating?

Take away the Zika virus scare and these Olympics would hardly garner any interest from me.

Last edited:
i'm not really into watching sports, but i'll probably watch Michael Phelps in one or more of his events. he has had quite a run in a very competitive sport.

I started watching the opening ceremony but NBC seemed to need a commercial break every 5 minutes and I wasn't that thrilled by what I was seeing either so...

Every successive Olympics I seem to care about them less and less.

A bunch of taxpayer-funded athletes who compete in a dizzying number of events.

Golf?!? An Olympic sport? What's next? Chess? Video games? Pie Eating?

Take away the Zika virus scare and these Olympics would hardly garner any interest from me.

Chess was a demonstration sport once.

But, skateboarding is a sport in the next summer games

I must say, it's easier for me to be interested in sports where there is an objective winner. Fastest; knocks someone out; pins someone to the mat; scores the most goals.

Skateboarding I am fine with. You don't see a lot of great, fat skateboarders.

You can be pretty fat and still excel at golf.

Any sport that you can be fat and still do well at should NOT be in the Olympics.

The concept of the Olympics is admirable. You would bring this event into a country and theoretically would inspire the local economy with construction and tourists.
Plus you would see atheletes from around the world you would never see anywhere else often.

But as always greediness steps in.

Even with all its warts I will watch some.

Interesting --- a new thing for beach volleyball in the Olympics is that the teams can challenge. A replay of the disputed play is shown on the big screen and a decision is shown. China just challenged and won, but it was overturned after Switzerland complained that the judges were wrong. It was obvious that whoever was judging that was wrong. China ended up winning anyway.

Lol...wouldn't that be interesting.

'And Rogers has been shot right through the head while Tibor was just grazed in the right shoulder! Looks like another gold for Bulgaria in the duelling pistols category.

We have just heard that the judges have disqualified Tibor for an illegal sight on his pistol. So it's gold for Rogers and America. Of course, he will have to receive his gold medal posthumously.

And the official places the gold medal on Rogers coffin on the top step of the podium...a brilliant win for the American...albeit not in the way he would wish, surely.
Tibor receives silver and Patrick - sadly minus his left eye - receives bronze for Canada in the 50 meter duelling pistols competition.
Tomorrow is the 10 meter finals which, of course, have been cancelled due to both finalists having - sadly - passed away early this morning.'

LOL they didnt actually shoot at each other when dueling pistols was included in the games, they shot at paper targets.

LOL they didnt actually shoot at each other when dueling pistols was included in the games, they shot at paper targets.

I thought you were kidding.

Yeah, not sure how you would train for that (shooting at each other)?

My very favorite is beach volleyball, but I love watching gymnastics, diving and swimming too.

I'm a winter Olympics man, so much of this is a yawn. But I love solo synchronized swimming, that and watching pant dry are to die for. But then curling in the winter sure gets the blood pressure up...yawn.

I've been getting entertainment out of Russia and doping, half the team is out, today they banned the entire para-olympics team. It's perfect for that gang of Nazis called the IOC and their bumbling, and makes a joke out of Russia's entire team.

My very favorite is beach volleyball, but I love watching gymnastics, diving and swimming too.

Yeah, I'm watching volley ball right now: we just be Poland. (The men should stay away from volley ball. The women are better at it, more graceful and just play a better game in my view).

Track and field is our thing at home though.

I'm a winter Olympics man, so much of this is a yawn. But I love solo synchronized swimming, that and watching pant dry are to die for. But then curling in the winter sure gets the blood pressure up...yawn.

I've been getting entertainment out of Russia and doping, half the team is out, today they banned the entire para-olympics team. It's perfect for that gang of Nazis called the IOC and their bumbling, and makes a joke out of Russia's entire team.

It was the entirely separate IPC that suspended the Russian Para-team lock stock and smoking barrels as the IOC should have done. The IPC President was scathing in his denouncing of the Russian state-sponsored corruption.

Did anyone see that biker wipe out? She looked like she'd be paralyzed from it.

NBC’s coverage of the Rio games continues to lag far behind London four years ago.

NBC averaged a 5.5 rating among adults 18-49 Saturday night, according to Nielsen overnight numbers, down 38% from the equivalent night in the 2012 games. In total viewers, Saturday night was down 32% from London with 19.5 million.

That showing follows an opening ceremony Friday night that was the lowest rated for a Summer Olympics since the 1992 games in Atlanta. The Rio opening drew a 7.7 rating and 27.3 million viewers.

TV Ratings: Rio Olympics Down From London in First Night | Variety

So the trend continues, a major drop in interest this time.

I think the olympics are past their prime.

I dig the Olympics. I like watching some of the sports I don't get to watch regularly. I also like some of the stories like countries that are participating for the first time like Kosovo.

Or the refugee team.

The first Olympics I ever watched was Summer 1972. Captured my imagination and I've been watching ever since.

Back
Top Bottom