• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another abortion poll, more options

Abortion should be legal:

• Total voters
I support both the mother's and the father's right to abort, up until they turn 18. At that point, I support the parents right to buy them luggage. 😁
Luggage for what? All of the stuff I bought them for eighteen years? No, that's staying in my house that I also bought.

I appreciate your answer. I rely on science to help me make informed opinions. If science tells me human life begins at X weeks. I then have a stake in the ground. Same for the other medical procedures you cited.
I must say I have noticed you are one of a few posters that doesn't agree with me but so far has always done so in a respectable manner. I tip my hat good sir.

I vote likewise. Beyond 20 weeks a compelling reason should exist.
Who decides what reason is compelling enough? Some bureaucrat whose medical knowledge came from Facebook?

Who decides what reason is compelling enough? Some bureaucrat whose medical knowledge came from Facebook?
Since the conditions stated in the OP were "I'm asking for your personal opinion," I decide.

I appreciate your answer. I rely on science to help me make informed opinions. If science tells me human life begins at X weeks. I then have a stake in the ground. Same for the other medical procedures you cited.
This is not a challenge, just a question borne of general curiosity. What is your understanding regarding when a fetus is viable outside the womb, without major medical intervention?

1651776595441.png

Choice up to labor, because I'm pretty damn sure that if she's in labor, you can't safely perform an abortion. The purpose of any abortion is to end the pregnancy, for many reasons. But ultimately, that is the purpose of the abortion. Labor means the pregnancy is ending very soon.

But I only say "choice", because almost all restrictions, caveats we put in leave off something that is important and may still need an abortion in those last months.

The decision should be up to the pregnant person and their doctor.
What are you talking about? Late-term abortions occur when the life of the mother or the deformity of the fetus is in question.

This is not a challenge, just a question borne of general curiosity. What is your understanding regarding when a fetus is viable outside the womb, without major medical intervention?
You need to define that.

Since the conditions stated in the OP were "I'm asking for your personal opinion," I decide.
Like on a case by case basis? You're gonna have to hire some staff.

Like on a case by case basis? You're gonna have to hire some staff.
Yep. I can think of immediate reasons to go beyond 20 weeks (e.g. health risks to the mother) but other than that case by case seems just. :)

You need to define that.
Just that - at what point in gestation can a fetus survive outside the womb without heroic measures? From what I have read, 26 weeks is the point when survivability increases dramatically, and without major complications. 22-23 weeks is possible but it requires a great deal of scientific/medical intervention.

What are you talking about? Late-term abortions occur when the life of the mother or the deformity of the fetus is in question.
Or possibly the life of another fetus, which are left off here in many cases, laws. Almost no laws cover the life of another fetus (twins, triplets, other multiples are things that happen, and complications could call for abortion of one to save the other(s)).

There are far too many circumstances that get lost, where doctors aren't sure if they legally can perform the abortion when we just leave it at "life of the mother". That's why I support leaving it up to mother and doctor, their determination, not limiting it by law "just in case someone uses it for birth control".

Or possibly the life of another fetus, which are left off here in many cases, laws. Almost no laws cover the life of another fetus (twins, triplets, other multiples are things that happen, and complications could call for abortion of one to save the other(s)). There are far too many circumstances that get lost, where doctors aren't sure if they legally can perform the abortion when we just leave it at "life of the mother". That's why I support leaving it up to mother and doctor, their determination, not limiting it by law "just in case someone uses it for birth control".
Doesn't the fertility industry regularly destroy viable embryos? If so, why has there been no call from the right to shut them down?

Doesn't the fertility industry regularly destroy viable embryos? If so, why has there been no call from the right to shut them down?
Some very few actually do. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's how we got "octomom" some few years back is because she insisted that she couldn't let all those fertilized eggs be destroyed, die. (I could be wrong on this one, I'm just pretty sure that is what I read somewhere about her motives.)

Just that - at what point in gestation can a fetus survive outside the womb without heroic measures? From what I have read, 26 weeks is the point when survivability increases dramatically, and without major complications. 22-23 weeks is possible but it requires a great deal of scientific/medical intervention.
You need to define that too.

22 - 23 weeks.

Or possibly the life of another fetus, which are left off here in many cases, laws. Almost no laws cover the life of another fetus (twins, triplets, other multiples are things that happen, and complications could call for abortion of one to save the other(s)).

There are far too many circumstances that get lost, where doctors aren't sure if they legally can perform the abortion when we just leave it at "life of the mother". That's why I support leaving it up to mother and doctor, their determination, not limiting it by law "just in case someone uses it for birth control".
ok

Science hasn't really decided this. The closest we can get is to suggest something without a brain is probably not yet a person

Yes, late term abortions only happen in extreme cases. A woman can't just walk in and ask for one
But she should be able to.

People keep talking about late term abortions as though there's women out there who just spontaneously decide to have a month 8 abortion for trivial reasons and I just have to wonder if those people have ever actually listened to a woman. Sure, they've all met and interacted with women, but how can you have such a wild impression of women if you've ever actually listened to them?

But she should be able to.

People keep talking about late term abortions as though there's women out there who just spontaneously decide to have a month 8 abortion for trivial reasons and I just have to wonder if those people have ever actually listened to a woman.

Yes she should. She owns her body and makes an informed decision. The right think blue haired feminists get pregnant to have a late term abortion to 'show the right'. The right live to harm their opponents and assume we do the same. They are wrong

I chose the 4th option, as the majority here have also.
My time cutoff vote would be 12 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom