• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Americans fault Trump for chaotic government shutdown

When CNBC won't give a link to the poll you have to wonder what they are hiding.

Bogus sampling data?

Must be...surely all Americans are 100% behind this dictionary definition of incompetence.

And yet Pelosi's popularity FELL FURTHER than did TRUMP'S.

IOW, most Americans do NOT SEE A GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN as "CATASTROPHIC" as the left does.

Psst… Pelosi isn't president.

From what I hear Pelosi numbers are worse. They are in single digits

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

When CNBC won't give a link to the poll you have to wonder what they are hiding.

Bogus sampling data?

According to this article Speaker Pelosi poll numbers re better than President Trumps numbers.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) came out on top of the government shutdown, and also on top of the newest Quinnipiac University poll.

When it comes to "issues that are important to you," 49 percent of voters say they trust Pelosi to address them, compared to 42 percent who say they trust President Trump, the poll released Tuesday shows. Voters also resoundingly blamed Trump and congressional Republicans for the government shutdown over Democrats, 56-34 percent.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/820558/voters-trust-nancy-pelosi-more-than-trump-poll-shows

Last edited:
Psst...Pelosi isn't president.
She is 2nd in line to be the potus and the claim being debated isnt her title its who Americans fault. Apparently many Americans fault her too.

More easy solutions from the Right.
I'm not interested in your hateful bigotry, jnug... I don't speak for all of the Right; I speak only for myself.

I have grown used to these meaningless, useless suggestions that don't meet reality ANYWHERE. But thanks for playing.
What was "meaningless" "useless" "not meeting reality" about suggesting that people who are out of work either dip into their savings or get another job? What would you instead suggest?

Again 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.
I don't know whether that percentage is true or not, and I don't put much (if any) stock in polling, as I find polls to be mostly (if not totally) meaningless. For sake of argument, however, I will accept that number you quote as truth, thus making into a fact.

So if you want to make the case that 80% of Americans don't manage their finances well, I can buy that one.
I wouldn't make the case that 100% of people within that set of people manage their finances poorly, because I'm not interested in bigotry, yet I would say that there are plenty of people within that set of people who do NOT manage their finances well, and who could cut back on certain things and instead put some of the money that they make into savings.

I can't buy singling out the Federal workers and worse certainly can't buy singling out the contractors that were furloughed and just tell them to suck it up.
I'm not singling out federal workers. My advice applies to everyone. If I were to lose my job, I would have to either dip into savings or find another job, same as those federal employees if government were to remain shut down for a much longer period of time.

We did not get here on easy solutions like "suck it up" and we won't get outta' here on easy solutions either.
Contextomy fallacy... my "easy solutions" applied to people not receiving money, not to the border wall debate.

That said exacerbating circumstances for a Wall that Trump could not get funding for when he had the chance is ABSURD! It is irresponsible and absurd and irresponsible is the best I can say for it.
He was busy taking care of other priorities, and now he is trying to take care of our border security issues.

According to this article Speaker Pelosi poll numbers re better than President Trumps numbers.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) came out on top of the government shutdown, and also on top of the newest Quinnipiac University poll.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/820558/voters-trust-nancy-pelosi-more-than-trump-poll-shows
The numbers: 28 percent of Americans gave Mrs. Pelosi a thumbs up, a quarter were either neutral or unsure, and 47 percent rated her unfavorably. In the breakdown of the final finding, 34 percent had a “very negative” feeling toward the speaker, while 13 percent had a “somewhat negative” reaction. Analysts, however, have taken notice that her unfavorability number was 41 percent in an identical poll last month. That’s an increase of 6 percentage points.

Inside the Beltway: Whoops: Pelosi approval ratings drop during shutdown - Washington Times

Are you seriously saying that Trump was willing to negotiate ?

That he was willing to give up his wall in return for a finance bill and the re-opening of the government ?

No he wasn't.

Trump wanted to meet and for Pelosi to agree to his demands. And he (and seemingly you) call this "negotiating".

How is giving up the wall entirely "negotiating"? The Dems' idea of a negotiation is to give them all while you get nothing. In the end, one way or another, the wall is going up. Trump knows it and so do the Dems.

Give me the wall or I'll shut down the government is not negotiations.

He may be able to get away with that in the sketchy and corrupt real estate business of bullying people as his sole negotiation tactic, doesn't work as president and in politics

Trump wanted Pelosi to come back and talk at any time during the shutdown and she refused. She'd rather play to the fringe which has taken over the party.

...He was busy taking care of other priorities...

Lets try to be honest and base our comments on reality. Everyone knows how 'busy' Trump is and how hard he works. (at watching Fox?)...

...and now he is trying to take care of our border security issues.

If he was actually concerned with security instead of fulfilling an unrealistic campaign slogan, he would have worked with Congress to pass legislation when the Repubs controlled all three branches of our government.

He can huff and puff and shutdown our government again, but other than a face saving beef-up of what we have, the Dems won't waste our funds on any length of new walls.

Conservatives are very confused about who our friends and enemies are. Maybe Numnuts needs to have some secret, unrecorded meetings with president Obrador...

This guy Trump just won't shut up. "If there is no wall funding in the negotiation, don't even bother"

He won't shut up about NK nukes, about Venezuela, about NATO, about Syria and Afghanistan, about the EU and he won't stop putting his two cents into anything and everything. He doesn't do anything besides posture and threaten and he doesn't know anything. But he won't shut up about anything.

If I were on that negotiating team I would not let Trump tweets or comments effect anything. Do your jobs. Come up with something. If he won't sign it....he can pound sand and face the consequences.

This guy Trump just won't shut up. "If there is no wall funding in the negotiation, don't even bother"

He won't shut up about NK nukes, about Venezuela, about NATO, about Syria and Afghanistan, about the EU and he won't stop putting his two cents into anything and everything. He doesn't do anything besides posture and threaten and he doesn't know anything...

I find it amazing that someone who doesn't know anything, has so little desire to learn anything. He has said more than once that he relies on his gut to make the big decisions. But his gut has nothing put praise for Putin, NK and the other tyrants of the world and nothing but hate for our free press, intelligence agencies and FBI.

I think his gut needs some Pepto-Bismol...

Polls almost always ask multiple questions.

What would make you think Harwood was hiding something by not saying that? That is something that people already knew - or at least I assumed they did, until your post. You didn't know that?

John Harwood is not the entire media.

Where did I say that anyone was hiding something? I specifically stated: Just to clarify, yes, there were multiple questions. But there was only one or two that the media actually cares about. And I never mentioned Harwood (whoever that is) nor implied that he was the entire media.

That was dishonest

Your argument about the right/wrong track question is that it is worthless. Now you are arguing that the worthwhile questions are not worth disputing but the question you think is useless is worth disputing.

You're the one that assumed. Not me.

Lets try to be honest and base our comments on reality. Everyone knows how 'busy' Trump is and how hard he works. (at watching Fox?)...
Define 'reality', as you are using it here...

Trump has done much more than just watch Fox News... For starters, he just got done opening government back up for three weeks. You are being completely ridiculous here.

If he was actually concerned with security instead of fulfilling an unrealistic campaign slogan,
What, exactly, is unrealistic about building a border wall? It has been done many times throughout history.

he would have worked with Congress to pass legislation when the Repubs controlled all three branches of our government.
He was occupied with other priorities. Now, he's focused on the border wall.

He can huff and puff and shutdown our government again,
He sure can. He might just do so, too... We'll see by February 15th...

but other than a face saving beef-up of what we have, the Dems won't waste our funds on any length of new walls.
They waste them on many unconstitutional welfare programs... Why not "waste" them on something constitutional for a change?

Conservatives are very confused about who our friends and enemies are.
Bigotry. When bigotry enters the conversation, I leave the conversation... Not interested...

Maybe Numnuts needs to have some secret, unrecorded meetings with president Obrador...
Void argument mixed with an insult fallacy.

Where did I say that anyone was hiding something? I specifically stated: Just to clarify, yes, there were multiple questions. But there was only one or two that the media actually cares about. And I never mentioned Harwood (whoever that is) nor implied that he was the entire media.

You posted that in response to someone who asked what they were hiding. Nobody was hiding anything.

You used Harwood's piece to opine on what the media cared about.

You posted that in response to someone who asked what they were hiding. Nobody was hiding anything.

And of course you read into it as me saying/agreeing with what the other poster said. Got it.

And of course you read into it as me saying/agreeing with what the other poster said. Got it.

Maybe, if you really are truly innocently constantly besieged by legions of people out to "read into" your posts, there's something very much wrong with your communication style. That'd be something worth looking into, if you really are always being so horribly misunderstood.

Of course, the reality is that yet again, someone (tres borrochos) saw a flaw in your position and pointed it out. Out comes the "you misunderstood me!" or "assumptions!" routine. And of course you're trying to ridiculously pretend that your announcement about what the media allegedly cares about (only one or two questions) somehow means that someone was hiding something with a poll. The thing liked to has a ton of questions over 18 pages. At least forty variants. Maybe YOU are the one who made a false assumption about what the media cares about.

Enough.

How is giving up the wall entirely "negotiating"? The Dems' idea of a negotiation is to give them all while you get nothing. In the end, one way or another, the wall is going up. Trump knows it and so do the Dems.

Negotiating is accepting what you can't get and working on getting most of what your opponent is willing to agree to.

Pelosi made it clear to anyone with half a brain that there would be / will not be a wall.

I'm not sure there is any package of concessions that Trump could make to get Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi to agree to a wall. But he didn't even try. He just reverted to the same old Donald Trump and demanded he gets what he wants.

Even now he's talking about forcing the issue through when Congress has already denied funds for the wall on several occasions.

Back
Top Bottom