• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ambassador Kennedy Accuses China of Raising Tension in the Region.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
U.S. Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy today sharply criticized China for recent actions she blames for escalating tension in the region.

"Unilateral actions like those taken by China with their announcement of an East China Sea Air Defense Identification Zone undermine security and constitute an attempt to change the status quo in the East China Sea," she said. "This only serves to increase tension in the region."

ap_caroline_kennedy_ll_131127_16x9_992.jpg

China responded angrily today through an editorial in the state-run newspaper China Daily. "Washington is barking up the wrong tree," the editorial stated. "The Japanese and U.S. hysteria is unnecessary, and potentially dangerous, because it is based on a serious misreading, if not intentional distortion, of Chinese strategic purposes." China's Defense Ministry also said it had "monitored the entire progress of two unarmed U.S. B-52 bombers," and, "has the ability to effectively manage and control the relevant airspace."

Kennedy, who only recently became ambassador to Japan, said the U.S. "will continue to consult closely with the Japanese government on these issues and I know Vice President Biden will be underscoring these messages on his visit next week.".....snip~

Ambassador Kennedy Accuses China of Raising Tension in the Region - Yahoo

Seems Biden will be heading over to the Region on a 5 day trip to find out what the Chinese intentions are. I wonder if the Washington CSG will be making a showing around the same time Biden is? Thoughts?

U.S. Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy today sharply criticized China for recent actions she blames for escalating tension in the region.

"Unilateral actions like those taken by China with their announcement of an East China Sea Air Defense Identification Zone undermine security and constitute an attempt to change the status quo in the East China Sea," she said. "This only serves to increase tension in the region."

Seems Biden will be heading over to the Region on a 5 day trip to find out what the Chinese intentions are. I wonder if the Washington CSG will be making a showing around the same time Biden is? Thoughts?

I'm surprised that the Chinese are doing this. I thought they had more sense. I don't see how this benefits them at all. The only good news is that other governments are as foolishly run as ours.

I'm surprised that the Chinese are doing this. I thought they had more sense. I don't see how this benefits them at all. The only good news is that other governments are as foolishly run as ours.

Heya SB. :2wave: I was surprised at China's response myself.....doesn't matter they can monitor. They just got put in check with their mission creep. Course what do you think the Chinese intention was?

The Other question is.....did China really want to push the issue knowing the Japanese have built up their Navy and now have a larger force than the Brits.

Heya SB. :2wave: I was surprised at China's response myself.....doesn't matter they can monitor. They just got put in check with their mission creep. Course what do you think the Chinese intention was?

The Other question is.....did China really want to push the issue knowing the Japanese have built up their Navy and now have a larger force than the Brits.

China is not a country that can be "beat": in war. They have a huge military, they produce their own weapon systems and they are well developed in the nuclear department. They could take over Taiwan in a minute and a half and he same with Japan.

But they (usually) have better sense. They let America disturb the **** while they prosper. So their purpose may be simply irrational - testing the Obama fortitude levels etc. Seems like a bad idea but I can't even figure out my own country, let alone theirs. They don't scare me though - I think China is winning the "war" by sheer persistence of economics.

China is not a country that can be "beat": in war. They have a huge military, they produce their own weapon systems and they are well developed in the nuclear department. They could take over Taiwan in a minute and a half and he same with Japan.

But they (usually) have better sense. They let America disturb the **** while they prosper. So their purpose may be simply irrational - testing the Obama fortitude levels etc. Seems like a bad idea but I can't even figure out my own country, let alone theirs. They don't scare me though - I think China is winning the "war" by sheer persistence of economics.

As far as I know they have never been able to take Japan.....how do they do this without a Navy?

Well they shouldn't scare you.....now Biden going over there to talk. That should scare you. :lol:

China responded angrily today through an editorial in the state-run newspaper China Daily. "Washington is barking up the wrong tree," the editorial stated. "The Japanese and U.S. hysteria is unnecessary, and potentially dangerous, because it is based on a serious misreading, if not intentional distortion, of Chinese strategic purposes." China's Defense Ministry also said it had "monitored the entire progress of two unarmed U.S. B-52 bombers," and, "has the ability to effectively manage and control the relevant airspace."

Kennedy, who only recently became ambassador to Japan, said the U.S. "will continue to consult closely with the Japanese government on these issues and I know Vice President Biden will be underscoring these messages on his visit next week.".....snip~

Here are some valid and impartial thoughts on the genesis and progress of the whole dispute. About the worse you can say about China wanting the islands back is it is bent on ensuring it has enough future resources to sustain its massive population, that is 10,000 times larger than Japan's.

The poor bugger who wrote this piece is blissfully unaware he is about to become an Umurukun hatin,' Christ denyin,' Commie loving child molester as soon as the fanatically xenophobic, close-minded neo-Nazi denizens of Debate Politics read his article. :ind: :shoot :lamo

As far as I know they have never been able to take Japan.....how do they do this without a Navy?

Well they shouldn't scare you.....now Biden going over there to talk. That should scare you. :lol:

Warcraft is not one of my areas of expertise. Come to think of it, almost nothing is my area of expertise. Too bad, since I have opinion© about everything no mattr how little I know.

Do you need a Navy to win a war? Aren't we in the age of airplanes and missiles? Still, this is all posturing and not much risk with that.

As for Biden, I admit he seems goofy. But he has become VP of the USA. Here is his history and he's one of the few who dsidn't stel anything and thus has less money than even I do.
Biden was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania, and lived there for ten years before moving to Delaware. He became an attorney in 1969, and was elected to the New Castle County council in 1970. Biden was first elected to the Senate in 1972 and became the sixth-youngest senator in U.S. history. He was re-elected to the Senate six times, and was the fourth most senior senator at the time of his resignation. Biden was a long-time member and former chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. His strong advocacy helped bring about U.S. military assistance and intervention during the Bosnian War. He opposed the Gulf War in 1991. He voted in favor of the Iraq War Resolution in 2002, but later proposed resolutions to alter U.S. strategy there. He has also served as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, dealing with issues related to drug policy, crime prevention, and civil liberties, and led creation of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act and Violence Against Women Act. He chaired the Judiciary Committee during the contentious U.S. Supreme Court nominations of Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas.

So, books / covers. Maybe he's smarter than he looks. Maybe.

I wonder if this situation will make the price of goods increase at WalMart? It always seems to work that way with the price of oil when tensions escalate in the Middle East.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062601388 said:
I wonder if this situation will make the price of goods increase at WalMart? It always seems to work that way with the price of oil when tensions escalate in the Middle East.

I don't know about Wally World.....but the Australian's Called the Chinese Ambassador in over this issue. South Korea and Taiwan are against the Chinese pulling the stunt too.

China says it monitored defiant US bomber flights

20ce70edf5084627440f6a7067007693.jpg

The U.S. flights, which tested the Chinese zone for the first time since it was declared over the weekend, raised questions about Beijing's determination to enforce its requirement that foreign aircraft identify themselves and accept Chinese instructions.

The U.S. and Japan have said they don't acknowledge the zone, and Taiwan and South Korea, both close to the U.S., also rejected it.

Australia, meanwhile, said it called in the Chinese ambassador to express concern about the sudden zone declaration.

Beijing's move fits a pattern of putting teeth behind its territorial claims and is seen as potentially leading to dangerous encounters depending on how vigorously China enforces it — and how cautious it is when intercepting aircraft from Japan, the U.S. and other countries.

China is sending its sole aircraft carrier to the South China Sea for its first sea trial, alarming the Philippines, which has conflicting claims with Beijing over parts of the region. Manila said the aircraft carrier's presence in the sea threatens regional stability.

Chinese reaction to the U.S. bomber flights was predictably angry, with some recalling the 2001 collision between a Chinese fighter and a U.S. surveillance plane in international airspace off China's southeastern coast — the kind of accident some fear China's new policy could make more likely. The Chinese pilot, Wang Wei, was killed in the crash and the U.S. crew forced to make a landing on China's Hainan island, where they were held for 10 days and repeatedly interrogated before being released.....snip~

China says it monitored defiant US bomber flights

I sure hope there is more to these Islands than just these.

Warcraft is not one of my areas of expertise. Come to think of it, almost nothing is my area of expertise. Too bad, since I have opinion© about everything no mattr how little I know.

Do you need a Navy to win a war? Aren't we in the age of airplanes and missiles? Still, this is all posturing and not much risk with that.

As for Biden, I admit he seems goofy. But he has become VP of the USA. Here is his history and he's one of the few who dsidn't stel anything and thus has less money than even I do.

No airforce in the world has the capacity to supply an army needed to defeat China across several thousands kilometers of ocean.

Heya SB......Here is what they are showing, is the extension of the range.

92fd600bd6fe3227440f6a7067003c70.jpg

Incoming:
grenade_toss-animated.gif
China scrambled jets this morning in response to the US sending over a couple of spy planes and the Japanese sending over planes.

China scrambles jets to new defense zone, eyes U.S., Japan flights

f4dd3f56b7a51827440f6a7067004008_original.jpg

China scrambled jets on Friday in response to two U.S. spy planes and 10 Japanese aircraft, including F-15 fighters, entering its new air defense zone over the East China Sea, state news agency Xinhua said, raising the stakes in a standoff with the United States, Japan and South Korea.

The jets were scrambled for effective monitoring, Xinhua cited air force spokesman Shen Jinke as saying. The report gave no further details.

Japan and South Korea flew military aircraft through the zone, which includes the skies over islands at the heart of a territorial dispute between Japan and China, the two countries said on Thursday, while Washington sent two unarmed B-52 bombers into the airspace earlier this week in a sign of support for its ally Japan. None of those aircraft informed China.

The Pentagon has declined to offer specifics on any additional U.S. flights and it neither confirmed nor denied the Chinese report of two U.S. spy aircraft entering the zone.

One U.S. defense official, speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said only the U.S. military was still flying routine missions in the region, including reconnaissance and surveillance flights.

Xinhua earlier said China had sent several fighter jets and an early warning aircraft into the new air defense zone.

The aircraft, including Russian-designed Su-30 fighter jets, conducted routine patrols and monitored targets in the zone, Shen said.....snip~

China scrambles jets to new defense zone, eyes U.S., Japan flights
Reuters – 1 hr 52 mins ago

Looks like the Chinese will increase the tensions. Currently even the South Koreans are sending planes thru this are along with Japan.

No airforce in the world has the capacity to supply an army needed to defeat China across several thousands kilometers of ocean.

"Defeat China?" You GOT to be kidding! Hell, all China has to do is not show up at the next USA T-note auction and cash in what they got already and they win.

Why, exactly, are we taking Japan's side on this?

Why, exactly, are we taking Japan's side on this?

Heya Joko. I think it was due to the fact that the Japanese had people on them.

Didn't take the Japenese long to send in some F15's tho.

That is only an issue if there is a war and the objective of the war is to conquer China. Good luck with that. Even if we had a Navy 5 times bigger than we have now, China is about as easy to conquer as America.

Any war on that scale is impossible to prepare for. What I see now is just petty bickering and bad behavior for unknown reasons. Maybe the Chinese government is trying to distract their citizens from the high price of pork or whatever.

Even your crazy neighbor, NK, doesn't attack you. Why? Because they'll gain nothing and lose very much. Thy could flatten Seoul but what will that gain them besudes getting their asses ubsequently kicked by the very efficient, brave and well trained SK Army with US backup.

China wants wealth and power. Not combat and destruction. I'm not saying they are good guys. They are sensible enough not to trigger the end of everything.

"Defeat China?" You GOT to be kidding! Hell, all China has to do is not show up at the next USA T-note auction and cash in what they got already and they win.

Yes. Thank you. I'm saying the same thing. This is just drama - we do stuff like this usually to distract our citizens who have the attention span of a parakeet.

Here are some valid and impartial thoughts on the genesis and progress of the whole dispute. About the worse you can say about China wanting the islands back is it is bent on ensuring it has enough future resources to sustain its massive population, that is 10,000 times larger than Japan's.

The poor bugger who wrote this piece is blissfully unaware he is about to become an Umurukun hatin,' Christ denyin,' Commie loving child molester as soon as the fanatically xenophobic, close-minded neo-Nazi denizens of Debate Politics read his article. :ind: :shoot :lamo

I'll be more inclined to consider that argument IF China withdraws from Tibet completely including all the people who immigrated there. Unless this is done I do not believe that China has any legitimate claim on these islands given the time that they have been recognized as belonging to Japan.

I'll be more inclined to consider that argument IF China withdraws from Tibet completely including all the people who immigrated there. Unless this is done I do not believe that China has any legitimate claim on these islands given the time that they have been recognized as belonging to Japan.
I'll see your Tibet (tosses Afghanistan into the pot) and i'll raise you all the land between the Canadian and Mexican borders.

I'll see your Tibet (tosses Afghanistan into the pot) and i'll raise you all the land between the Canadian and Mexican borders.

Okay.....Old House Rules Apply.

th

th

Snake Eyes.....You Lose! :lol:

th

That is only an issue if there is a war and the objective of the war is to conquer China. Good luck with that. Even if we had a Navy 5 times bigger than we have now, China is about as easy to conquer as America.

Any war on that scale is impossible to prepare for. What I see now is just petty bickering and bad behavior for unknown reasons. Maybe the Chinese government is trying to distract their citizens from the high price of pork or whatever.

Even your crazy neighbor, NK, doesn't attack you. Why? Because they'll gain nothing and lose very much. Thy could flatten Seoul but what will that gain them besudes getting their asses ubsequently kicked by the very efficient, brave and well trained SK Army with US backup.

China wants wealth and power. Not combat and destruction. I'm not saying they are good guys. They are sensible enough not to trigger the end of everything.

My post was only a reply to your question about the Navy being really necessary. Of course such a war is highly hypothetical.

My post was only a reply to your question about the Navy being really necessary. Of course such a war is highly hypothetical.

I understand. I'm just making friendly conversation with you, nothing more.

I lived 8 important years of my life in South Korea and was thus attracted to this discussion.

Does China really need to be "defeated", as in invaded and taken by force, or does simply keeping them from invading other countries by blocking them in, and destroying the few navel vessels they have, along with a significant number of their aircraft should they become hostile, be enough to keep them in check. I realize nearly a century has passed since WW2, but don't forget that China was actually invaded and basically controlled by the Japanese military, a country of less than 150 million dominating a country with a population of 1.4 billion.

Yes, China has nukes. However, if China uses those nukes it will sign the death knell of millions upon millions of its own people.

China is posturing for a purpose. I don't pretend to have the military/interglobal knowledge of what that purpose might be, but I'm fairly certain WW3 isn't a part of its plan.

Actually Biden is extremely smart, and knows IR forwards and backwards. Given Biden's experience in international relations, and Kerry's poor record even as Secretary of State, I'm glad Biden is going over there.

Biden won't let them walk over him, and has the ability to tell them to go **** themselves and they will thank him for the opportunity.

I disagree with Biden's politics on many issues, not all, but many; as to foreign policy and international relations however, he has my respect.

Back
Top Bottom