• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amazon CEO Bezos donates $2.5 million for same-sex marriage

CriticalThought

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
New York (CNN) - Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos is backing same-sex marriage.

Bezos and his wife, MacKenzie, donated $2.5 million to Washington United for Marriage, a coalition to uphold the state's same-sex marriage law. It is believed to be the largest individual donation to protect same-sex marriage.

Amazon CEO Bezos donates $2.5 million for same-sex marriage – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

In related news, I bought a Kindle Fire today, so Amazon can expect my future patronage for good long while. I think I will get better use out of it than I would a chicken sandwich.

I buy all my video games from Amazon, they have great prices and I have no intention of stopping. I certainly hope some bigoted and intolerant government officials don't try and abuse the law to punish Amazon because they donate to pro-SSM groups.

I buy all my video games from Amazon, they have great prices and I have no intention of stopping. I certainly hope some bigoted and intolerant government officials don't try and abuse the law to punish Amazon because they donate to pro-SSM groups.

Yes, I have an Amazon Prime membership that's not going anywhere.

Of course, I'm not against SSM either, but nonetheless...

I've also got a prime membership. I've bought many of my textbooks from them for college over the years as well. I've sold stuff through Amazon too. They offer a great service, good prices and a wide selection. My online shopping business probably isn't going to go anywhere and will stick with Amazon.

Damn, already booked Halo 4 at my local Gamestop.

It's always admirable for someone to write a big, fat check for something they believe in. Good for Bezos.

Good grief. I don't really care that he donated to the other side of an issue from me, I'll still shop there. If that's what he chooses to do with his money, fine. But really, children are starving, going under-nourished, here and all over the world, and this numbskull spends a few million on gay marriage? Asshole.

Liberals always think that their charity is just. They're also the first to condemn conservatives if they donate to something they do not believe in.

Chick-Fil-A does something that they're against, and it's an invitation to vitriol. This happens, and I bet the worst that happens is something akin to what we both have said - not against it, not for it, not giving a damn.

Good grief. I don't really care that he donated to the other side of an issue from me, I'll still shop there. If that's what he chooses to do with his money, fine. But really, children are starving, going under-nourished, here and all over the world, and this numbskull spends a few million on gay marriage? Asshole.

Selected outrage is funny isn't?

This changes nothing for me. Just like the Oreo debacle, the Chik-fil-A controversy, or any other similar situation.

I agree with another poster, though: Why not donate to charities that actually directly help people who are suffering (or even animals)??

tessaesque said:
I agree with another poster, though: Why not donate to charities that actually directly help people who are suffering (or even animals)??

Because that won't get a thread made about you on Debate Politics.

This isn't a donation of charity. It's an attempt to politicize.

This changes nothing for me. Just like the Oreo debacle, the Chik-fil-A controversy, or any other similar situation.

Chick Fil A gave 3 million to anti gay groups like the Family Research Counsel and Exodus International. Why aren't you upset about their failure to give to charities that "directly help people"?

That's a slippery slope. Most people could psychologically condition themselves to have no expectations or desires, in the way of Buddhist monks or saints, and live simple, productive lives for the benefit of others. Instead they choose to try and find their happiness in interpersonal relationships, material goods, and other dependencies and complications. Living life in this way is completely irrational -- why gamble on finding happiness in temporal things and relationships when you can reshape and discipline your spirit to be content regardless of your circumstances or possessions? Giving charitably to a cause you find personally meaningful, ahead of causes that might be objectively more worthy, is part of this irrationality.

Last edited:
Chick Fil A gave 3 million to anti gay groups like the Family Research Counsel and Exodus International. Why aren't you upset about their failure to give to charities that "directly help people"?

Chik-fil-A wasn't the subject of this thread. Why are you making assumptions about my stance?

I think that as a group, people who support SSM are haters.

If you don't believe me, just say that you support marriages only between men and women.

Um...what? That makes no sense.

Wait Im confused, he is an asshole because he donated millions to fight for equal rights?

but

the other Chick-Fil-A person that donated millions to hate groups and to fight against equal rights is ok?

or did you not know that an you think they are both assholes for not giving to starving children?

and for the record I believe that any community that bans chick fil a simply based on the views of its owner would be practicing unfair discrimination.

The owner has a right to believe what he wants and to be a bigot :shrug:
just like people have the right to call him on it

Last edited:
Um...what? That makes no sense.

Just try it. But don't do it here because people on this board already know you, plus they will have read my post and they'll know what's going on.

Sign up on another political forum, and submit a post that you don't support SSM and that you think that only marriage between men and women should be allowed.

Believe me, it won't take long and you'll find out what I mean.

Prime is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom