• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alex Salmond, Former First Minister of Scotland Arrested.

Evilroddy

Pragmatic, pugilistic, prancing, porcine politico.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Alex Salmond, the former first minister of the Scotish Parliament and de facto leader of the 2014 Scottish separatism referendum, has been arrested and charged with fourteen criminal charges including two counts of rape. This comes after he was in part exonerated by a bungled Scottish parliamentary investigation and in a civil suit.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...mond-scotlands-former-first-minister-arrested

Oh my!

Cheers.
Evilroddy

Godric1970

Scottish and Proud
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Alex Salmond, the former first minister of the Scotish Parliament and de facto leader of the 2014 Scottish separatism referendum, has been arrested and charged with fourteen criminal charges including two counts of rape. This comes after he was in part exonerated by a bungled Scottish parliamentary investigation and in a civil suit.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...mond-scotlands-former-first-minister-arrested

Oh my!

Cheers.
Evilroddy

The British authorities are petrified of another Independence referendum, they know they will lose they are trying to split us up it won't work ... this is the last throw of the dice of a dying british establishment, without Scotland's oil and gas they are f**ked, they fear what they can't control and they feel their grip loosening on Scotland hence the accusations against Alex Salmond .... they are trying to take out one of the Independence movements biggest hitter hoping to split the SNP and thus the independence movement .... what they fail to understand is the Independence movement in Scotland is way bigger than the SNP , Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond .... we are driving the movement and not the SNP

Fledermaus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The British authorities are petrified of another Independence referendum, they know they will lose they are trying to split us up it won't work ... this is the last throw of the dice of a dying british establishment, without Scotland's oil and gas they are f**ked, they fear what they can't control and they feel their grip loosening on Scotland hence the accusations against Alex Salmond .... they are trying to take out one of the Independence movements biggest hitter hoping to split the SNP and thus the independence movement .... what they fail to understand is the Independence movement in Scotland is way bigger than the SNP , Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond .... we are driving the movement and not the SNP

And the rape charges?

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hard to get any grasp on this - he's charged with 14 counts but it was a private hearing: no journalists or records allowed beyond the simplest of statements. Time and leaks will help otherwise we would just be speculating without any real facts.

Godric1970

Scottish and Proud
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
And the rape charges?

the rape charges are to do with claims from the two civil service workers making the claim ..... it smacks of desperation from the UK establishment do you know the Scottish civil service (civil service are supposed to be impartial) briefed against Independence for whitehall in London ... their employers for which we pay for .... Independence will end this partiality towards london

Sweden

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

I hope none of our American friends will be taken in by this load of old tripe. It is Sturgeon, Scotland's first minister (who Salmond choose as his successor), who is conspicuously avoiding a second independence referendum because she knows full well that it would lost by a bigger margin than the first one. As an Englishman who thinks we would be well rid of the eternaly whining Scots I think their timidity unfortunate.

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Hard to get any grasp on this - he's charged with 14 counts but it was a private hearing: no journalists or records allowed beyond the simplest of statements.

I do NOT pretend to know anything about the system of justice in the United Kingdom.

But I have heard that the authorities there do NOT immediately blab everything -- even a detained person's name in many cases -- to the press.

Here in the States, an accused person (even before his/her arrest and trial) is metaphorically lynched in the media (e.g., the people accused by the MeToo movement).

Rogue Valley

Putin = War Criminal
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Oh my!

Cheers.
Evilroddy

Follow the evidence no matter where it leads. If found guilty of rape, he should pay the price.

Higgins86

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
the rape charges are to do with claims from the two civil service workers making the claim ..... it smacks of desperation from the UK establishment do you know the Scottish civil service (civil service are supposed to be impartial) briefed against Independence for whitehall in London ... their employers for which we pay for .... Independence will end this partiality towards london

Behave...

Godric1970

Scottish and Proud
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I hope none of our American friends will be taken in by this load of old tripe. It is Sturgeon, Scotland's first minister (who Salmond choose as his successor), who is conspicuously avoiding a second independence referendum because she knows full well that it would lost by a bigger margin than the first one. As an Englishman who thinks we would be well rid of the eternaly whining Scots I think their timidity unfortunate.

is that so then why is Teresa May trying to stop it in it's tracks .... Nicola Sturgeon wall call Indyref2 when the murky waters of Brexit is cleared up and Teresa May doesn't have room to manoeuvre .... support for Scotland in the EU is now at 59% where as Scotland out the EU with the UK is at 38% .... EU membership is way more important

Godric1970

Scottish and Proud
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I do NOT pretend to know anything about the system of justice in the United Kingdom.

But I have heard that the authorities there do NOT immediately blab everything -- even a detained person's name in many cases -- to the press.

Here in the States, an accused person (even before his/her arrest and trial) is metaphorically lynched in the media (e.g., the people accused by the MeToo movement).

it is exactly the same here to according to the Media he is guilty .... before he has set foot in court .... because none of the media in Scotland is owned by Scots they are either owned by murdoch or English ownership

Higgy point out exactly where i am wrong please

Sweden

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
is that so then why is Teresa May trying to stop it in it's tracks .... Nicola Sturgeon wall call Indyref2 when the murky waters of Brexit is cleared up and Teresa May doesn't have room to manoeuvre .... support for Scotland in the EU is now at 59% where as Scotland out the EU with the UK is at 38% .... EU membership is way more important

We are in agreement: We both wish that Scotland would leave the UK. Where we differ is that you believe that this will soon happen whereas I am sure it will not.

Sweden

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
it is exactly the same here to according to the Media he is guilty .... before he has set foot in court .... because none of the media in Scotland is owned by Scots they are either owned by murdoch or English ownership

Higgy point out exactly where i am wrong please

I have seen nothing in the media that assumes Salmond's guilt. It would be a rash media organisation that risked massive contempt of court damages by publishing anything of the sort.

Is there some sort of law in Scotland that prevents its citizens from starting or owning a newspaper? If not I suggest you start one, in company, if you like, with fellow Murdoch and England haters.

Sweden

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

Under both English and Scottish law (there are separate systems) the courts deal harshly with any suggestions of guilt before or during trials.

Tigerace117

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

So in other words an independent Scotland won’t punish its politicians for committing rape?

Good to know I suppose.....

Chagos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
We are in agreement: We both wish that Scotland would leave the UK. Where we differ is that you believe that this will soon happen whereas I am sure it will not.
I'm beginning to see some benefit in Ayrshire leaving.:lol:

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Godric1970

Scottish and Proud
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I have seen nothing in the media that assumes Salmond's guilt. It would be a rash media organisation that risked massive contempt of court damages by publishing anything of the sort.

Is there some sort of law in Scotland that prevents its citizens from starting or owning a newspaper? If not I suggest you start one, in company, if you like, with fellow Murdoch and England haters.

did you see Mirror group owned Daily Record's front page ??

EPKUtf.jpg

UwQGeC.jpg

Last edited:

Sven Karma

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
It'll certainly confuse the rest of the world if a succession of 'not proven' verdicts are returned.

Top Bottom