• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alan Simpson Slams Fellow Republicans For Unwillingness To Compromise

Tax reform, not simply higher marginal rates, on the existing bucket of worms that passes as the FIT code, is probably worth considering even if it means a BIT more revenue. To offer tax increases now in exchange for phantom or future cuts in spending is insane. If an honest offer should ever appear from the demorats, to cut CURRENT federal spending, then the republicants should consider a SMALL increase, say $10 of REAL spending cuts gets $1 in more taxes.

It's dependent on what value those who pay your salary get in return for that pay.

So how about a teacher that has a masters, 15 years of experience and makes 50k a year and teaches 40 kids math. Is that good value or bad value? How about the engineer that ensures a bridge built meets safety specifications that used over it's life by say a couple million drivers?

It's easy to figure the value of something that is sold on the market, like if someone makes 40 sandwhiches which are sold for 5 bucks a pop. It's a little more difficult when you're talking about potential defects that are avoided or the value of 40 10th graders having that "aha" moment in a trig class.

its a faux crisis...because 6% of our national budget going to paying the interest on our debt...is not a crisis.

It will be when interest rates get back to reality. But never fear, perhaps you will have a kind Chinese owner...

It's still overhead, and I've already said some overhead is worth more than other overhead. If you are talking about the SEC regulators who missed Bernie Madoff in spite of the warnings, or the DOT program administrators that allowed the I-35 bridge collapse in Minneapolis, I remain unimpressed. I am also not impressed with the success of the Department of Energy, which was created to reduce our reliance on foreign energy at a time when said reliance was only a fraction of what it is now. And what has the Department of Education done for us lately? How about HUD?

I'm sure you still have enough confidence to invest/drive over bridges etc. If you're argument is that you're productive only if infaliable then nobody on earth is a productive member of society.

I'm sure you still have enough confidence to invest/drive over bridges etc. If you're argument is that you're productive only if infaliable then nobody on earth is a productive member of society.

Some of us are more productive than others.

its a faux crisis...because 6% of our national budget going to paying the interest on our debt...is not a crisis.

Trillions of dollars in debt is a crisis. Too bad you're too big of a partisan hack to see it.Governments should not spend more than they collect.

Trillions of dollars in debt is a crisis. Too bad you're too big of a partisan hack to see it.Governments should not spend more than they collect.

yeah, for Ireland or Greece. Not for the USA.

its only 6% of our annual budget in interest. big deal.

The tax rates proposed by Alan Simpson in his work on the Presidents Debt Reduction Committee that he co-chaired with Democrat Erskin Bowles:

Republicans not compromising? Boehner offered Obama $800 Bn in tax increases and Obama tried to change the deal at the last minute. Let me know when Democrats agree to get serious about entitlement reform.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…