• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A U.S. Troop Presence in Iraq Does Not Serve U.S. Security Interests

Last I heard, the US wasn't even getting any of the oil work contracts, let alone a good deal on oil.

@cata: where are you getting your numbers?

Your link. My previous numbers are correct.

I carried a 1 incorrectly in my above post, sorry. However, that still does not change the fact that a majority of Democrats voted against AOF in Iraq.

147 Congressional Democrats voted against AOF in Iraq vs 111 that voted for the AOF in Iraq. Last time I checked, 147 > 111, which means a majority of Congressional Democrats vote against AOF in Iraq, compared with the near unanimous vote by the Republicans for the AOF.

we shoulda' been gone by now... we shoulda' never went en masse.

Saddam should have simply been assassinated and we'd be done with it.

we shoulda' been gone by now... we shoulda' never went en masse.

Saddam should have simply been assassinated and we'd be done with it.

Saddam at the time of our attack was simply an old man with a shotgun, he was of no threat to us. We were not afraid of Saddam, we wanted to get big oil back into Iraq which they had been banned for the last 35 years since Saddam kicked them out when Iraq nationalized its oil.

Originally Posted by OscarB63
hate to break it to you bub, not much in the way of investment in military bases there. they are all crapholes. and where is all this Iraqi oil I keep hearing about?
I'm sure there are some craphole bases in Iraq, but my grandson-in-law has been there twice and his base was far from a craphole - probably one of the bases Catawba mentions. Huge, well-appointed - he said better than a few stateside bases he's been on.

Saddam at the time of our attack was simply an old man with a shotgun, he was of no threat to us. We were not afraid of Saddam, we wanted to get big oil back into Iraq which they had been banned for the last 35 years since Saddam kicked them out when Iraq nationalized its oil.

tyrants deserve death, nothing more, nothing less.

I'll allow you to tolerate tyrants, but don't ask me to.

When Saddam was at tyrannical worst, we were his ally. Reagan even had Iraq removed from the terrorist nations listing. So our motives were clearly not because he was a tyrant. But of course you may believe whatever you wish!

mammoth USC-130 personnel transports

A C-130 is a prop plane about the size of a DC-9. Hardly "mammoth". How am I supposed to take the rest of the article, about military stuff, seriously after that statement.

I believe I read a report somewhere where 17k people are going to work in that 1 billion dollar Vatican they have over there. Salaries, tech, bills, maintenance.....they're just replacing one for another. :-D

I believe I read a report somewhere where 17k people are going to work in that 1 billion dollar Vatican they have over there. Salaries, tech, bills, maintenance.....they're just replacing one for another. :-D

Try to tell that to OscarB63.

hate to break it to you bub, not much in the way of investment in military bases there. they are all crapholes.

If you doubt the existence of large bases in Iraq, the article is hardly the only one where you can learn about them:

What I doubt is your article from "peacecouncil.net". If they refer to a C-130 as "mammoth", than surely an LPOP is a Mega-Base. Look dude, airports aren't small things; they require a considerable perimeter for security. Claiming things are "big" without a comparison doesn't work. Claiming things are "mammoth" when they are, in fact, small illustrates the agenda of that article clearly.

Let's face it... land in Iraq is cheap. Why not have a very secure perimeter (it costs less to buy a few acres than to replace a plane). In addition to lacking comparison and blatently lying about the size of things, the article also leaves out a multitude of factors.

That article is propaganda. Are you aware?

What I doubt is your article from "peacecouncil.net". If they refer to a C-130 as "mammoth", than surely an LPOP is a Mega-Base. Look dude, airports aren't small things; they require a considerable perimeter for security. Claiming things are "big" without a comparison doesn't work. Claiming things are "mammoth" when they are, in fact, small illustrates the agenda of that article clearly.

Let's face it... land in Iraq is cheap. Why not have a very secure perimeter (it costs less to buy a few acres than to replace a plane). In addition to lacking comparison and blatently lying about the size of things, the article also leaves out a multitude of factors.

That article is propaganda. Are you aware?

Your comments are moot as to the point I was making that the US has a significant investment in the 4 large bases built in Iraq, as evidenced by the 4 articles I referenced.

These wars are turning into an Orwellian permanent situation.
They should both be ended NOW!

all that it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to sit back and do nothing

Your comments are moot as to the point I was making that the US has a significant investment in the 4 large bases built in Iraq, as evidenced by the 4 articles I referenced.

like the bases in Japan, Germany, South Korea and a zillion other places around the world? but yet I don't see any wailing and gnashing of teeth to shut those bases down. but, I suppose, that's different... :roll:

US presence in Iraq gives us a staging area in the event Iran or Syria decide to do something stupid.

US presence in Iraq gives us a staging area in the event Iran or Syria decide to do something stupid.

You mean like nuking a whole country that is of no threat?

Do you seriously consider your methods any different than those you hate?

"why prepare for hate when we should prepare for peace."
-Jasonxe

:3

OscarB63, et al,

Yes, this was the original reasoning for the invasion, although the WoT and WMD were the excuse. It is the idea of an hegemony.

(COMMENT)

However, the botched way we went about it (the Post-Conflict Phase) has produced the situation we have today. We don't have the money, the equipment or the capacity to intervene in anything the Iranians do or the Sryians.

Iran has more influence in Iraq than the US has.

Most Respectfully,
R

and then 3 years from now when the place goes all to hell, the bleeding hearts club will piss themselves and squeal "we've got to do something to help them" and we'll send thousands of troops back over and start the whole process over again.

The place has already been to hell, and we can't stop it if they want to go there again (not that Iraq is heaven on earth now BTW). Both parties need to understand we don't rule the world, nor should we.

A costly saging area. A very, very costly staging area. I wonder how many would have volunteered to die for a staging area? Just wondering. . . . . :coffeepap

Back
Top Bottom