• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A rifle that never misses

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
I don't know whether to be excited or horrified but one thing for sure, this is a game changer.

"A new rifle goes on sale on Wednesday, and it's not like any other. It uses lasers and computers to make shooters very accurate. A startup gun company in Texas developed the rifle, which is so effective that some in the shooting community say it should not be sold to the public.
It's called the TrackingPoint rifle. On a firing range just outside Austin in the city of Liberty Hill, a novice shooter holds one and takes aim at a target 500 yards away. Normally it takes years of practice to hit something at that distance. But this shooter nails it on the first try.
The rifle's scope features a sophisticated color graphics display. The shooter locks a laser on the target by pushing a small button by the trigger. It's like a video game. But here's where it's different: You pull the trigger but the gun decides when to shoot. It fires only when the weapon has been pointed in exactly the right place, taking into account dozens of variables, including wind, shake and distance to the target."

A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses : All Tech Considered : NPR

Wow. The downside to that is that a shooter would never develop actual shooting skills. I think I'll stick to the guns I already have. :lol:

I don't know whether to be excited or horrified but one thing for sure, this is a game changer.

"A new rifle goes on sale on Wednesday, and it's not like any other. It uses lasers and computers to make shooters very accurate. A startup gun company in Texas developed the rifle, which is so effective that some in the shooting community say it should not be sold to the public.
It's called the TrackingPoint rifle. On a firing range just outside Austin in the city of Liberty Hill, a novice shooter holds one and takes aim at a target 500 yards away. Normally it takes years of practice to hit something at that distance. But this shooter nails it on the first try.
The rifle's scope features a sophisticated color graphics display. The shooter locks a laser on the target by pushing a small button by the trigger. It's like a video game. But here's where it's different: You pull the trigger but the gun decides when to shoot. It fires only when the weapon has been pointed in exactly the right place, taking into account dozens of variables, including wind, shake and distance to the target."

A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses : All Tech Considered : NPR

I can't even begin to describe how pissed off I'd be if I pulled the trigger and didn't "bang" when I was supposed to then started to clear the malfunction and got the "bang" then.

I can't even begin to describe how pissed off I'd be if I pulled the trigger and didn't "bang" when I was supposed to then started to clear the malfunction and got the "bang" then.

Wow, so true.:shock:

Wow. The downside to that is that a shooter would never develop actual shooting skills. I think I'll stick to the guns I already have. :lol:

The article says kids will like it because they are used to computer stuff but at my age I think I will stick with good old fashioned skill development.

The article says kids will like it because they are used to computer stuff but at my age I think I will stick with good old fashioned skill development.

Exactly. A kid might like it, but it would scare the hell out of me to turn him loose with one.

This is to be expected. I'd wager the military has already had such a weapon for a while now. Still doesn't make one a sniper. Not by a long shot.

It's the math equivalent of a calculator. It could mean we no longer have to use two man sniping teams...no spotter. I'll wager someone will develop a program for it that won't allow humans to be targeted.

On top of that, who says it takes years of experience to take out a 500 yard target? I'm pretty damned sure that I got that in an afternoon during boot camp. Hell, I was regularly hitting a man sized pop-up target at 1100 yards with simple battle sights and an M-60 that had probably had 500,000 rounds through it.

If you hand a normal human being a Winchester 700 and a box of .30-06 they should be able to hit that 500 yard target with just an open sight before the day is out and the cool part about that is your batteries never go dead with open sights.

I'm breaking my self imposed exile to point out that this rifle costs $27.5K

Any citizen can legally buy a machine gun or tank too if they're willing to put up those #'s. Considering the price, until this tech is miniaturized to the point it can affordably fit into every scope or trigger job, I would say the chance of a mass shooter utilizing this in some DC sniper on steroids active shooter situation is approaching zero.

I'm breaking my self imposed exile to point out that this rifle costs $27.5K

Any citizen can legally buy a machine gun or tank too if they're willing to put up those #'s. Considering the price, until this tech is miniaturized to the point it can affordably fit into every scope or trigger job, I would say the chance of a mass shooter utilizing this in some DC sniper on steroids active shooter situation is approaching zero.

I'm sure the price will come down pretty fast.

I know a guy who went to a demo. 8 people fired the rifle, all hitting the target at 400 hundred yards, free hand, standing. 3 of those had never fired a rifle before.

I know a guy who went to a demo. 8 people fired the rifle, all hitting the target at 400 hundred yards, free hand, standing. 3 of those had never fired a rifle before.

Impressive technology. If these things ever got affordable there would be less gut shot deer maybe or then again I wonder if they just hit a target center mass or if you can program them for a certain shot like front quarter in a deer or a head shot in a man?

If you don't like the weapon, you don't have to use it.

I see this as a great advancement in our military technology. Being able to identify targets beforehand to minimize risk of killing innocent people?
Has great potential as a great peacemaker or a deathmachine.

If you don't like the weapon, you don't have to use it.

I see this as a great advancement in our military technology. Being able to identify targets beforehand to minimize risk of killing innocent people?
Has great potential as a great peacemaker or a deathmachine.

I didn't say that I do have to use it. I said that shooting skills would not be developed, and they wouldn't. I'm a target shooter. Skills are highly important to me.

Any reason you didn't introduce this thread in the gun control forum?

Any reason you didn't introduce this thread in the gun control forum?

I'm guessing that a lot of folks don't know that it moved and just figure it was done away with.

Great...so instead of people going into a crowd and opening fire, they can just hide out in the distance and get away with it. This has to be the most awful news of the year.

Great...so instead of people going into a crowd and opening fire, they can just hide out in the distance and get away with it. This has to be the most awful news of the year.

Not to scare you into hiding or anything but a lot of folks can do this already without the fancy gizmo.

Any advancement in weapons technology will be complained about by some but I'm sure when your life is threatened you will be glad that yourself or law enforcement officers are equipped with effective weapons and not slingshots and javelins.

This is not the weapon system that is going to turn criminals into terminators.

Firstly they generally prefer cheap throw away weapons, a 27k optic? Not so much.

Second with this weapon system you cant "spray and pray" as mentioned earlier its not going to fire until you line up with your marked target.

Shooting one shot at a time, people will have plenty of time to take cover and return fire (provided you aren't the target)

Your still limited by the effective range of the gun.

Soldiers prefer battle tested equipment. If our ACOG goes down we still need to be effective with iron sights.

I don't see something like this being issued to every soldier or turning our cities into a sniping war zone.

It could be useful for deer hunters or extreme range shooting, though Id be curious to see how durable it is.

Can I jump in with it without it breaking, can it be submerged/rained on, what is the battery life, what is the chance of failure?

good thinking. years ago the Russians developed an olympic target weapon (DNR if it was a pistol rifle or air weapon) that was able to tell when the sights were aligned with the black bullseye on olympic targets. So the shooter would squeeze the trigger and when the sights were aligned, the weapon would discharge. needless to say that was quickly banned

Any advancement in weapons technology will be complained about by some but I'm sure when your life is threatened you will be glad that yourself or law enforcement officers are equipped with effective weapons and not slingshots and javelins.

This is not the weapon system that is going to turn criminals into terminators.

Firstly they generally prefer cheap throw away weapons, a 27k optic? Not so much.

Second with this weapon system you cant "spray and pray" as mentioned earlier its not going to fire until you line up with your marked target.

Shooting one shot at a time, people will have plenty of time to take cover and return fire (provided you aren't the target)

Your still limited by the effective range of the gun.

Soldiers prefer battle tested equipment. If our ACOG goes down we still need to be effective with iron sights.

I don't see something like this being issued to every soldier or turning our cities into a sniping war zone.

It could be useful for deer hunters or extreme range shooting, though Id be curious to see how durable it is.

Can I jump in with it without it breaking, can it be submerged/rained on, what is the battery life, what is the chance of failure?

'Zactly!

Over the years my penchant for stuff that works ALL THE TIME has only been reinforced. So often the transition from gizmo based operations to traditional operations is more time consuming and troublesome than it needs to be. For example, I was thrilled the first time somebody showed me an AN/PVS-7 but it took about half a patrol and then I discovered that it screwed up my night vision and made the transition from looking to shooting effectively a total pain in the neck. There's no question but that it's a handy tool but if I ever had to rely on it.....no thanks.

Not to scare you into hiding or anything but a lot of folks can do this already without the fancy gizmo.

It doesn't scare me. I dislike knowing any idiot out there without the proper mind could wreak havoc without needing to be accurate.

Back
Top Bottom