• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

62 Years After Brown v. BOE, Court Orders Schools to Desegregate

and the automobile will never replace the horse and buggy. The old ways are always best.

Just as wheels are best when round. You just can't change the reality that spending an hour on the bus either way will have a significant impact on the student. And thus the school. These won't be parents who participate, or are even able to. After school activities are a nightmare for these students. There is quite a lot of the educational experiences the neighborhood school provides that don't happen during the school day.

Unless the law has changed since I've retired from teaching, the parent who wants to send their child to an out of area school also has to have the approval of the boards of education of both districts. That's hardly giving the parent the choice.

I'm speaking of within district. It's far more common, and you should know this, that a parent would want to send their child to a neighboring school in the same district. In fact the thread topic is about schools in the same district.

Just as wheels are best when round. You just can't change the reality that spending an hour on the bus either way will have a significant impact on the student. And thus the school. These won't be parents who participate, or are even able to. After school activities are a nightmare for these students. There is quite a lot of the educational experiences the neighborhood school provides that don't happen during the school day.

Sitting here in my living room in small town America, I can think of five elementary schools that are within a five minute drive or a 30 minute walk from my house. No one needs to ride the bus for an hour unless it's to try to desegregate segregated schools by government decree.

I'm speaking of within district. It's far more common, and you should know this, that a parent would want to send their child to a neighboring school in the same district. In fact the thread topic is about schools in the same district.

Yes, if it's the same district, then the parent only needs the approval of the one district. If it's another district, then both boards of education have to approve.

It should be the parent's choice.

Sitting here in my living room in small town America, I can think of five elementary schools that are within a five minute drive or a 30 minute walk from my house. No one needs to ride the bus for an hour unless it's to try to desegregate segregated schools by government decree.

And, as a parent you could send your children to any of those schools you choose if you live in California (if they are public schools and you're not exaggerating).

And, as a parent you could send your children to any of those schools you choose if you live in California (if they are public schools and you're not exaggerating).

Only with the permission of the bureaucrats in charge of the district. Otherwise, I have to send them to the school that serves my neighborhood.

Yes, if it's the same district, then the parent only needs the approval of the one district. If it's another district, then both boards of education have to approve.

It should be the parent's choice.

That approval is only based upon native enrollment. Why should the children who live in the service area suffer from huger class sizes because parents cannot improve the school servicing their native area? The parent's choice is only restricted by the size of the resource pool (that really, parents determine with their taxes).

Edit: Btw this directly relates to the thread topic in that this one school has a huge minority enrollment for reasons that absolutely have nothing to do with race.

Last edited:
That approval is only based upon native enrollment. Why should the children who live in the service area suffer from huger class sizes because parents cannot improve the school servicing their native area? The parent's choice is only restricted by the size of the resource pool (that really, parents determine with their taxes).

Not here.
The schools are funded based on the number of students, not on the local tax base. It's been that way since Proposition 13 passed back in the '70s and shifted support for schools from property taxes only to statewide taxes of all sorts.

And that approval is based on whatever the people in charge say it's based on. It doesn't have to be enrollment only,

Racism in the US is far less than it was 60 or 70 years ago, but it's still with us and is likely to remain for the foreseeable future.

Maybe if enough interracial marriages result in enough mixed race people, the distinctions will begin to blur. Eventually, perhaps, we'll be able to forget about race.

But, that will take centuries.

As a side note, abortion was proposed at one time, as a way to eliminate undesirable people from the country, namely blacks. Now that's a completely unacceptable viewpoint in 2016. Yet many are hoping that interracial births will eliminate white people.
There's no difference between a racist who wanted abortion to remove blacks, and a person who favors interracial births to remove whites.

As a side note, abortion was proposed at one time, as a way to eliminate undesirable people from the country, namely blacks. Now that's a completely unacceptable viewpoint in 2016. Yet many are hoping that interracial births will eliminate white people.
There's no difference between a racist who wanted abortion to remove blacks, and a person who favors interracial births to remove whites.

Interracial births will remove blacks as well, won't they?

California is a blue state, Mississippi is a red state. I wouldn't be surprised if that fact plays a role in why Miss is being targeted for this.

Wealthy liberals reserve the right to preach about the merits of integration, while living completely segregated lives in white upper class enclaves. Marin County is home to some of the richest white liberals in the country, and wealthy white liberal residents have been fighting school integration since it was first proposed in 1960. Some of the most racially segregated schools in the country exist in Marin County today.

Oh it's much worse then that.. you have cities like Columbus, Ohio which was ordered to desegregate in 1979 (as were all), yet that hasn't happened, nor has ANYBODY called out the creation of Columbus Africentric High School in 1996 which is 100% minority. Nobody in DoJ will touch that because that would be going after Democrats (Mayor, School Board and City Council). The very people that drive the get out the vote for Democrats in Columbus.

So let's say I bought a home in Beverly Hills and paid for the privilege of sending my kids to Beverly Hills schools, along with my property taxes that support those schools. Now parents in the sucky Los Angeles Unified School District want to send their kids to Beverly Hills. Explain, please, how that would work exactly.

Like it does in most metro areas. LA school district would pay Beverly Hills SD for that student.

Interracial births will remove blacks as well, won't they?

Nope, remember we have a "black" President who's half white and raised by his white family and then we had a "white" President who was called the 1st black president (Bill Clinton).

Nope, remember we have a "black" President who's half white and raised by his white family and then we had a "white" President who was called the 1st black president (Bill Clinton).

The lines are beginning to blur, aren't they?

Is Barack Obama considered black?

He is considered black.
He is of mixed race, as much white as black.
That is blurring the lines between the races.

But, I suppose if we continue to apply the label "black" to people of mixed race, there may not be many "white" people left pretty soon.

Not here.
The schools are funded based on the number of students, not on the local tax base. It's been that way since Proposition 13 passed back in the '70s and shifted support for schools from property taxes only to statewide taxes of all sorts.

And that approval is based on whatever the people in charge say it's based on. It doesn't have to be enrollment only,

This response does not at all address what I posted, and you quoted as responding to. Schools are built to service a limited area, taking into account projected future growth in that area. There are only so many places at the trough. The folks who choose to live in that area of service get first crack at enrollment. ADA has nothing to do with that.

This response does not at all address what I posted, and you quoted as responding to. Schools are built to service a limited area, taking into account projected future growth in that area. There are only so many places at the trough. The folks who choose to live in that area of service get first crack at enrollment. ADA has nothing to do with that.

That is a description of the existing situation.
If we're happy with the existing situation, then we don't need to change anything.

He is considered black.
He is of mixed race, as much white as black.
That is blurring the lines between the races.

But, I suppose if we continue to apply the label "black" to people of mixed race, there may not be many "white" people left pretty soon.

So it's not really about mixing races at all, since you admit Obama is black. It's about removing white people.
No different than Hitler's desire to remove Jews, or Muslim Turks trying to exterminate Armenian Christians.

Just admit that you're a bigot, I can respect honesty.

So it's not really about mixing races at all, since you admit Obama is black. It's about removing white people.
No different than Hitler's desire to remove Jews, or Muslim Turks trying to exterminate Armenian Christians.

Just admit that you're a bigot, I can respect honesty.

Yeah, sure, that's it. I must hate white people since I think that mixing the races genetically might just end racism eventually. People who want to keep the races separate are the real anti racists. That makes sense, sure.

Yeah, sure, that's it. I must hate white people since I think that mixing the races genetically might just end racism eventually. People who want to keep the races separate are the real anti racists. That makes sense, sure.

Ask yourself what "end racism" means. If you can come up with anything, let me know, I'd love to know what that means.

End means stop it, no longer have it.
Your turn: Define racism.

The word racism is open to interpretation, and it's the most over used word in the English language .

This overuse has cheapened the word, in my opinion. At one time, it stood for true discrimination against a people, based on their race. Such as slavery.

Today, the word is used as a form of extortion, much the same as the word communism was used in the 1950s. You can destroy a person's career and livelihood by using the word against them.

Racism used to be defined in dictionaries as a belief that races were different, and that you held a preference for one race over another. By this definition, every human being on earth is racist, as it's quite natural for a person to hold a preference for characteristics that that person possesses. Whether it be rooting for a sports team over other teams because that team plays in your city, or preferring a certain food over other foods because it holds a cultural significance, people naturally choose things that they have a common bond with over other things.

Today the use of the word racism means next to nothing to me. I remember people saying that unless a white person voted for Barack Obama in 2008, then they are racist. Or the fallacy that "black people can't be racist". It's become utterly absurd and nothing like what MLK was fighting for.

The word racism is open to interpretation, and it's the most over used word in the English language .

This overuse has cheapened the word, in my opinion. At one time, it stood for true discrimination against a people, based on their race. Such as slavery.

Today, the word is used as a form of extortion, much the same as the word communism was used in the 1950s. You can destroy a person's career and livelihood by using the word against them.

Racism used to be defined in dictionaries as a belief that races were different, and that you held a preference for one race over another. By this definition, every human being on earth is racist, as it's quite natural for a person to hold a preference for characteristics that that person possesses. Whether it be rooting for a sports team over other teams because that team plays in your city, or preferring a certain food over other foods because it holds a cultural significance, people naturally choose things that they have a common bond with over other things.

Today the use of the word racism means next to nothing to me. I remember people saying that unless a white person voted for Barack Obama in 2008, then they are racist. Or the fallacy that "black people can't be racist". It's become utterly absurd and nothing like what MLK was fighting for.

Agreed, it is one of the most over used words in English. There are others, of course, that have lost their meaning as well.

How about defining racism as hating a group of people because of skin color or shape of the eyes, or other physical characteristics that we use to define the also overused word, "race"? That would go beyond simply having a "preference" to actually prejudging people (the real meaning of "prejudice") and condemning them based on their physical characteristics.

Agreed, it is one of the most over used words in English. There are others, of course, that have lost their meaning as well.

How about defining racism as hating a group of people because of skin color or shape of the eyes, or other physical characteristics that we use to define the also overused word, "race"? That would go beyond simply having a "preference" to actually prejudging people (the real meaning of "prejudice") and condemning them based on their physical characteristics.

Hahaha

You claim the word racism is meaningless and then seek to exclude the social aspects of a social construct. You want to equate racial bigotry (an individual act) with racism (a social construct) in order to ignore the very real social impacts of racial bigotry by the majority power - real, socially impactful, racism.

It is you, the ignorant regarding sociology, that reduce the term to near meaningless by equating an individual action with a social construct. That's ironic.

So, tell us... is racism merely individual racial bigotry or is there more to it?

Lastly... if you're looking for real racism... look for someone claiming the term has no meaning. That's a common defense of racists.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom