• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

62 Years After Brown v. BOE, Court Orders Schools to Desegregate

That's not completely true. Schools in California still receive about 25% of their funding from local property taxes (8.3 Who Pays: Where California’s Public School Funds Come From | Ed100). Try whacking a school's budget by 25% and see what happens. And, of course, once you cede local funding you cede local control. Don't think for one minute the state doesn't exact its share in blood.

Get ready for a statewide riot from people who paid up in higher home values and property taxes for good local schools as people who didn't seek to crowd into them.

The source of the money is partially from property taxes, yes. Yet, a school in an area of million dollar plus homes doesn't get more money than one in Watts. The money paid to the school is based on the attendance.

Would people riot if the unwashed masses were allowed into their exclusive neighborhood schools? Maybe they would, maybe not. It would still be a better use of tax money to allow the poor children who qualify to go to a good school than to admit every kid with affluenza in regardless of merit or potential.

Yeah, right. And there's good reason for it - that's the only way it works. You may imagine making square wheels would look so good, but they don't work, there's a good reason we make wheels round.

and the automobile will never replace the horse and buggy. The old ways are always best.

If you let the blacks in, the school will suck?

It's not that simple. There's also the indirect breakdown of social trust, community mobility, etc.

But yeah, integration hasn't been great for pretty much everyone, including (especially?) blacks.

Here's another example of the government sticking its big fat nose where it doesn't belong. Who's going to benefit by forcing kids from separate schools together? Certainly not the kids.

:doh :doh Of course there are still people who defend segregation....

No, the state of Mississippi is racist.

Off topic, I saw your avatar, what kind of Ninja do you have? I'm thinking of getting a 300R. I'm kind of more interested in that right not than who's racist and yada.

Off topic, I saw your avatar, what kind of Ninja do you have? I'm thinking of getting a 300R. I'm kind of more interested in that right not than who's racist and yada.

I have a 2008 Ninja 650r. I bought it new in 2009. It has been a good bike.

Racism in the US is far less than it was 60 or 70 years ago, but it's still with us and is likely to remain for the foreseeable future.

Maybe if enough interracial marriages result in enough mixed race people, the distinctions will begin to blur. Eventually, perhaps, we'll be able to forget about race.

But, that will take centuries.

Racism in the US is far less than it was 60 or 70 years ago, but it's still with us and is likely to remain for the foreseeable future.

Maybe if enough interracial marriages result in enough mixed race people, the distinctions will begin to blur. Eventually, perhaps, we'll be able to forget about race.

But, that will take centuries.

All that nonsense really means, "white people are the problem and if we can just get rid of those darn white people, peace & harmony & unicorns will rule the day".

The funny part of all that flawed logic is that the most livable cities in the country are still a majority white! The key factor in determining which cities fall into blight and disrepair seems to be whether whites have upped and left yet.

All that nonsense really means, "white people are the problem and if we can just get rid of those darn white people, peace & harmony & unicorns will rule the day".

The funny part of all that flawed logic is that the most livable cities in the country are still a majority white! The key factor in determining which cities fall into blight and disrepair seems to be whether whites have upped and left yet.

Because those black and brown people just can't handle their affairs unless the whites are in charge, right?

Facts are racist. Once you accept that, you don't feel like you have to keep defending failed ideology.

OK, then, let's pick up the white man's burden. The coloreds have to have someone to look after them,

(Yes, that was sarcasm, in case anyone couldn't tell.)

OK, then, let's pick up the white man's burden. The coloreds have to have someone to look after them,

(Yes, that was sarcasm, in case anyone couldn't tell.)

Black civil rights leaders and liberals agree. Why else have we been spending $trillions in the War on Poverty?

Facts are racist. Once you accept that, you don't feel like you have to keep defending failed ideology.

As I rethink this, I should not have responded to this post. I know that there are blacks, Hispanics, and Asians on this board. Let them respond.

I don't think pointing out the fact that desegregation efforts lost their way is defending segregation. I don't think I've seen anyone support the idea denying entry on the basis of race is a good thing. What is being criticized is the evolution of desegregation over many years into "black children MUST be exposed to white children or else!"

Would people riot if the unwashed masses were allowed into their exclusive neighborhood schools? Maybe they would, maybe not. It would still be a better use of tax money to allow the poor children who qualify to go to a good school than to admit every kid with affluenza in regardless of merit or potential.

For me that's about what it comes down to.

I don't really care whether or not my kids go to school with black kids.

If there are black kids in their classes that fine with me, if there aren't any black kids that's fine too.

But I don't want them going to school with poor kids, or kids from the inner city, or kids whose culture is significantly different from ours.

I've worked to hard, and made too many sacrifices and good decisions, in order to get away from that kind of bull**** so that my kids would never have to be involuntarily exposed to it.

I don't really care what you, or anyone else really, thinks would be in the best interest of minority children, or poor children, or society in general.

I get to make the decisions when it comes to what I think is in the best interest of my children and their ultimate success in life.

If my kids want to sample inner city ghetto culture they can visit the city, much as they might visit the zoo in order to observe how animals relate to each other.

But much as they're able to leave the zoo when they've had enough animal watching I want them to be able to leave that kind of second-rate human society and culture behind when they've had enough of it and come home to a place where they're insulated from it.

Last edited:
For me that's about what it comes down to.

I don't really care whether or not my kids go to school with black kids.

If there are black kids in their classes that fine with me, if there aren't any black kids that's fine too.

But I don't want them going to school with poor kids, or kids from the inner city, or kids whose culture is significantly different from ours.

I've worked to hard, and made too many sacrifices and good decisions, in order to get away from that kind of bull**** so that my kids would never have to be involuntarily exposed to it.

I don't really care what you, or anyone else really, thinks would be in the best interest of minority children, or poor children, or society in general.

I get to make the decisions when it comes to what I think is in the best interest of my children and their ultimate success in life.

If my kids want to sample inner city ghetto culture they can visit the city, much as they might visit the zoo in order to observe how animals relate to each other.

But much as they're able to leave the zoo when they've had enough animal watching I want them to be able to leave that kind of second-rate human society and culture behind when they've had enough of it and come home to a place where they're insulated from it.

Exactly what I've been saying should happen. The parents should get to decide where the kids go to school, but the schools they apply to should be able to set standards. Were that the case, then you would, indeed, be able to decide what's best for them.

As it is, the school district dictates where they go to school, if they're to attend a public school.

Exactly what I've been saying should happen. The parents should get to decide where the kids go to school, but the schools they apply to should be able to set standards. Were that the case, then you would, indeed, be able to decide what's best for them.

As it is, the school district dictates where they go to school, if they're to attend a public school.

For 99% of it the school district makes that decision based upon the area they can serve with each school. The other one percent are special schooling requirement students. However, in most western states at least, parents can send their children to an out of area public school, however, they must arrange for the transportation themselves.

For 99% of it the school district makes that decision based upon the area they can serve with each school. The other one percent are special schooling requirement students. However, in most western states at least, parents can send their children to an out of area public school, however, they must arrange for the transportation themselves.

Unless the law has changed since I've retired from teaching, the parent who wants to send their child to an out of area school also has to have the approval of the boards of education of both districts. That's hardly giving the parent the choice.

Back
Top Bottom