• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

41 Inconvenient Truths on the "New Energy Economy"

Theres a lot of hyped up myths about electric vehicles too which also compounds on the problems. I can tell ya, i would never go back to fossil fuels.

Biden has issued more drilling leases/permits than trump did in his first year lol
That's misleading. There's more to getting oil out of the ground then just having a lease on the site. How many of those leases are like leasing a car without an engine?

I am aware of that environmental damage, yes.
Yet chose to ignore it?

The market is slow and concerned only with profit.
Fundamentally yes, and when the alternatives become cost competitive, the market will shift to them, quite naturally.

Destructive will be chosen if it is the cheaper option.
Consider everyone's economic destruction if the government inflicts via mandate a non-competitive solution onto the market and onto the populace.

The idea that environmental protection can be handled by "the market" is absurd.
When the alternatives become cost competitive, the market will shift to them, quite naturally, without the need for a government mandate.

More like moronic lies pushed by greedy oil and gas industry (which I'm not reading your lazy copy and paste if you can't put forth any sort of argument yourself). You people whine about gas prices but hybrid and electric and green energy would reduce demand and thus price of gas and oil. But then again, you hvae greedy states that are happy with oil and gas income coming in so they will whine about electric for their own selfish interests

Can’t you at least provide a tidbit from your link to inform us what your point is?
Did you ask that of the stupid OP that just copied and pasted garbage? Of course not

Yet chose to ignore it?
Not at all. The damage is higher with fossil fuels, so transitioning off them is still logical.

Fundamentally yes, and when the alternatives become cost competitive, the market will shift to them, quite naturally.
Too slow, as I already said.

Consider everyone's economic destruction if the government inflicts via mandate a non-competitive solution onto the market and onto the populace.
"Economic destruction" is not happening due to alternative energy. In fact, some of the economic damage we're currently seeing is due to our dependence on fossil fuels.

When the alternatives become cost competitive, the market will shift to them, quite naturally, without the need for a government mandate.
How many more times do you want me to address this? Just waiting for "the market" to fix the problem causes widespread environmental destruction. That is not my goal. Why is it yours?

Did you ask that of the stupid OP that just copied and pasted garbage? Of course not
The OP link included one sentence that is considered a tidbit of info. Don't you have something more to complain about than this nonsense or are you just trolling?

The OP link included one sentence that is considered a tidbit of info. Don't you have something more to complain about than this nonsense or are you just trolling?
Should I talk about the straw man garbage in that link?

28. If solar power scaled like computer-tech, a single postage-stamp-size solar array would power the Empire State Building. That only happens in comic books.
Is there something about this idiocy you think people should be debating?

"If fossil fuels scaled like computer-tech, a single drop of gasoline could fly a 747 from LA to Tokyo!" Uhh yes, idiot, that does only happen in comic books so why are you describing this as an inconvenient reality, exactly?

That's misleading.
It's objective reality
There's more to getting oil out of the ground then just having a lease on the site.
Obviously. But of the existing leases prior to biden, and the additional leases biden has issued, oil companies are CHOOSING not to drill. He can't force them.

It's objective reality

Obviously. But of the existing leases prior to biden, and the additional leases biden has issued, oil companies are CHOOSING not to drill. He can't force them.
Perhaps the reason why isn't as Biden would have you believe.
If the White House wants drilling to increase, they could ease regulatory requirements and speed up permitting, she said.
Simply having a lease doesn't mean they have the permit to drill. In addition to that leases are typically grabbed up due to competition. Not all land leased is viable for drilling.

Buy a hybrid. I regularly get over 60 mpg on mine. And the best part is when all the douchbags in Dodges fly past me on the road, and I then meet up with them at the stoplight as its turning green...over and over and over.

I also have an electric bike, its good fun and I can use it for mundane trips, and its fun to ride to the bar.
Whats your make and model? Mine’s a zero FSX.

From my experience around here, apartment complexes have 2 assigned parking spots for each apartment, more often than not under some sort of roof or cover, always fairly close to the apartment's front door, with additional unassigned parking available a little further away. It'd be a matter of wiring and installing charge stations for every parking spot, or nearly every one. You'd have to design the electrical system to support a worst case where every spot has an EV plugged in, which would be a huge electrical load, and, yes, I think the apartment complex would need to provide charging stations for their tenants.

Are you thinking that there are apartment complexes which do not have parking spaces? Forcing their tenants to park out on the street?

Color me completely unsurprised that a public policy that the left is pushing for hasn't been completely thought through, it seems they never are, they never get to the first 'And then what?' question, and at least 3 levels deep of those questions should be a requirement.
I am intimately involved with having to deal with this issue - daily.

There are three types of EV parking designations:
EVSE - meaning an installed, wired EV charger (wall or pedestal mount)
EVR - or, EV Ready - meaning conduit and wire to a [future] EV charger
EVC - or, EV Capable - meaning conduit only to a [future] EV charger location.

The recommendations vary by municipality to municipality and project type to project type (e.g. commercial or residential) - and generally are presented as 5 | 10 | 10 (5% Installed, 10% Ready, 10% Capable) - based on the number of parking spaces. Typical commercial requirements are 5/10/10 while typical residential requirements can be as much as 10/10/80.

How this translates is for a residential multi-family project with say, 100 parking spaces; 10 must have chargers, 10 must have pipe and wire for [future] chargers, and 80 must have pipe in the ground for [future] chargers.

Depending on the type of chargers employed and whether they're "fast" chargers or just normal/shared chargers, the implications to the size of the electrical service to the buildings is significant. In some cases, new multi-family buildings actually require TWO (2) electrical services, one for normal building loads and one for EV chargers.

The infrastructure expense is absolutely phenomenal.

Not at all. The damage is higher with fossil fuels, so transitioning off them is still logical.

Too slow, as I already said.
Too slow as judged and determined by whom?

"Economic destruction" is not happening due to alternative energy. In fact, some of the economic damage we're currently seeing is due to our dependence on fossil fuels.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: This is why the alternative energy sources struggle to support 2% of the energy demand?
'some of the economic damage we're currently seeing is due to the current administration's regulatory regime and Congress' gross over spending on COVID relief. When 40% of dollars in circulation were invented by the FED with a click of the mouse to support that COVID relief spending, inflation is the consequence. This administration's policy is rather than leaving things as they are to sort themselves out, to floor the gas pedal so as to drive off the inflation cliff even faster and to even worse an economic outcome.

How many more times do you want me to address this? Just waiting for "the market" to fix the problem causes widespread environmental destruction.
Your position is economically untenable, pushing for more expensive alternatives that struggle to support 2% of the energy demands justified by 'widespread environmental destruction.' which isn't happening, and is grossly overblown for political purposes, i.e. political control and continued leftist progressive dictate of who will be permitted to 'win' in the market and who will be condemned to lose.

That is not my goal. Why is it yours?
See response above.

Perhaps the reason why isn't as Biden would have you believe.
It's exactly that way.
Simply having a lease doesn't mean they have the permit to drill.
Biden has issued more permits to drill than trump did lol
In addition to that leases are typically grabbed up due to competition. Not all land leased is viable for drilling.
does not change the fact that there are over 9,000 UNUSED leases currently, and oil companies are CHOOSING to not drill.

Too slow as judged and determined by whom?
Uhhh, me? I mean you're asking about my opinion aren't you? Whose judgement am I supposed to give you?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: This is why the alternative energy sources struggle to support 2% of the energy demand?
'some of the economic damage we're currently seeing is due to the current administration's regulatory regime and Congress' gross over spending on COVID relief. When 40% of dollars in circulation were invented by the FED with a click of the mouse to support that COVID relief spending, inflation is the consequence. This administration's policy is rather than leaving things as they are to sort themselves out, to floor the gas pedal so as to drive off the inflation cliff even faster and to even worse an economic outcome.
Gas price increases aren't a result of alternative energy use, can you clarify what you're getting at?

Your position is economically untenable, pushing for more expensive alternatives that struggle to support 2% of the energy demands justified by 'widespread environmental destruction.' which isn't happening,
It is happening.

and is grossly overblown for political purposes, i.e. political control and continued leftist progressive dictate of who will be permitted to 'win' in the market and who will be condemned to lose.
I am uninterested in conspiracy theories at this time, sorry.

The source is an actual engineering one, without the media hype.
I thought you could charge the up over and over and over again.

You mean it’s $20k for a barrel of oils worth of electricity? I gotta go look at my electric motorcycle closer. There must be an ICE hidden in there somewhere!

From my experience around here, apartment complexes have 2 assigned parking spots for each apartment, more often than not under some sort of roof or cover, always fairly close to the apartment's front door, with additional unassigned parking available a little further away. It'd be a matter of wiring and installing charge stations for every parking spot, or nearly every one. You'd have to design the electrical system to support a worst case where every spot has an EV plugged in, which would be a huge electrical load, and, yes, I think the apartment complex would need to provide charging stations for their tenants.

Are you thinking that there are apartment complexes which do not have parking spaces? Forcing their tenants to park out on the street?

Color me completely unsurprised that a public policy that the left is pushing for hasn't been completely thought through, it seems they never are, they never get to the first 'And then what?' question, and at least 3 levels deep of those questions should be a requirement.
Most people will only need to charge the latest electrics a couple of times a week based on average commutes. So it’s likely they could just top up when available at work or shopping or out to dinner. You get the idea.

The one I’m looking at includes two years of unlimited 30 minute charges. And as it fills 200 miles in 18 minutes I don’t foresee a problem.

We’re gonna have to work on courtesy though. Saw the same car hooked up to the same charger at a hotel for almost a week.

I use to live in one. There are many in my city alone (I estimate at least 20). In most of them there are no assigned parking, but then you also have the issue of your guests. Where do they park and should they have access to a charging station? You have a birthday party and invite 10 guests over. Where do they charge their vehicles to make sure they can get home?
Only a few new models get less than 200 miles on a charge. How many people come visit you from over a hundred miles away every time you see them?

Yes, there is. Link the statement you are whining about.
It was just in the news, I have no link to something I heard on the radio. Find it yourself or do the leftist head-in-the-sand thing you do when you don't like the facts. I don't give a crap.

Buy a hybrid. I regularly get over 60 mpg on mine. And the best part is when all the douchbags in Dodges fly past me on the road, and I then meet up with them at the stoplight as its turning green...over and over and over.

I also have an electric bike, its good fun and I can use it for mundane trips, and its fun to ride to the bar.
I'm never buying an electric bike.

It was just in the news, I have no link to something I heard on the radio. Find it yourself or do the leftist head-in-the-sand thing you do when you don't like the facts. I don't give a crap.
Looks like you wildly misrepresented what he said. No surprise.

Back
Top Bottom