• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

25 years since Columbine

donhughesmusic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It will have been 25 years since the tragic school shooting at Columbine. Have our schools gotten safer in the years since? Has anything really changed for the better in our schools, gun violence, bullying, etc., in the 25 years since that day?

It will have been 25 years since the tragic school shooting at Columbine. Have our schools gotten safer in the years since? Has anything really changed for the better in our schools, gun violence, bullying, etc., in the 25 years since that day?
More school shootings and more dead kids.

I saw where the ex-president was whining about not being able to the go to the graduation of his youngest son the other day.

I couldn't help but think of all the parents that didn't get to go to their kid's graduations because of school shootings.

All they talk about is "guns", disregarding the psychological disorders common in those who kill children in schools. Let's spend more time and money in finding solutions to the obvious mental problems/disorders in those who commit such horrific crimes, to learn how to fortify solutions to making our children safer.

And today is 24 years since the Oklahoma City bombing planned and executed by Timothy McVeigh spawned by the same Evangelical Christian Nationalists that are at the core of Donald Trump's political support TODAY.

Is that what you want to do Trump supporters, align yourselves with those that spawned Timothy McVeigh?

How about the other favorites of the Evangelical Christian Nationals? You really think they are any different than the Evangelical Christian Nationals that spawned Timothy McVeigh?

All they talk about is "guns", disregarding the psychological disorders common in those who kill children in schools. Let's spend more time and money in finding solutions to the obvious mental problems/disorders in those who commit such horrific crimes, to learn how to fortify solutions to making our children safer.
Since when were you in favour of public healthcare of any kind, let alone mental health?

Would you say that wanting civilians and families to have ready access to instruments of mass murder indicates a sane and healthy mind? :unsure:

Since when were you in favour of public healthcare of any kind, let alone mental health?

Would you say that wanting civilians and families to have ready access to instruments of mass murder indicates a sane and healthy mind? :unsure:

Millions upon billions of people have free and ease of access to guns each and everyday and believe it or not never commit a crime or kill innocent people and actually never enters their mind.

You take away a certain type of gun, they'll use another type of gun.....take away all guns, they'll use another type of weapon. That is NOT the solution, as it's far more involved than stupid politics.

It takes a mental problem/disorder to get oneself in the state of mind to walk into a school and start killing innocent young children. The gun did not make them do it.

You think I'm not in favor of public healthcare?.....which CT hat did you pull that from?

More schools have armed guards of some kind, and IMO that is the only short-term solution to preventing another Columbine. Historically, the thing that stops mass murder is an armed defender of one sort or another (police, guard, citizen, whatever).

Witness the recent Sydney mall stabbings.

Ya'll should have thought of that before flooding our communities with guns and making gun violence and vigilantism an acceptable means for dealing with conflict.

More schools have armed guards of some kind, and IMO that is the only short-term solution to preventing another Columbine. Historically, the thing that stops mass murder is an armed defender of one sort or another (police, guard, citizen, whatever).

Witness the recent Sydney mall stabbings.

Its so sad that we've gotten to the point that the solution to shootings is shoot-outs.

Ya'll should have thought of that before flooding our communities with guns and making gun violence and vigilantism an acceptable means for dealing with conflict.

The USA has always been pro-gun with plenty available.....it's not something new. School shootings are not comparable to gang violence or angry people shooting at each other. It's a mental issue, to even think about walking into a school and shoot children, let alone following through.

I grew up in the 60/70's
We had bullies, and fights
We had our share of racism
We had poverty and hunger
And we had 4 guns at the house with 5 kids....

We never had a shooting at or near any of my schools....

So what has changed?

Internet....social media....instant gratification....way too many single family homes....parents who either dont care, or dont have time to deal with their kids because they are busy putting bread on the table

I have grandkids and lots of grand nieces and nephews....the amount of bullying and bullshit they have to deal with on a daily basis is shocking
And it freaking starts earlier than you think....

All i can say is parents need to be aware....and look at what their kids are watching and posting....and TALK to them daily

Todays 12 year old being bullied for his glasses, may be tomorrows next shooter

And today is 24 years since the Oklahoma City bombing planned and executed by Timothy McVeigh spawned by the same Evangelical Christian Nationalists that are at the core of Donald Trump's political support TODAY.

Is that what you want to do Trump supporters, align yourselves with those that spawned Timothy McVeigh?

How about the other favorites of the Evangelical Christian Nationals? You really think they are any different than the Evangelical Christian Nationals that spawned Timothy McVeigh?
Uh... when did I mention Trump. I don't like the guy either, but Columbine was how long ago?

29 years since the Oklahoma City bombing.

And now check this out...the legacy continues. Well, in this case it seems someone followed the red flags and reported him. At least something's working (y)

He's been committed before, based on such threats. I wonder if he actually owns any firearms?

A Maryland high school student was arrested and charged with threat of mass violence Wednesday after police say they discovered evidence revealing the teen had plans to commit a school shooting.​
Authorities discovered a 129-page document they say was written by 18-year-old Alex Ye, the Montgomery County Department of Police said in a news release Thursday.​
Authorities learned of the writings following an exchange Ye had via Instagram messaging with an unidentified person who felt a school shooting was “imminent,” according to the teenager’s arrest warrant. The unidentified person knew Ye from an inpatient treatment at a local psychiatric facility, the warrant says.​

It should be easy for people to exercise their rights.

American communities have always been "flooded" with guns.
And the right to keep and bear arms has always been about violence, implied or actual.

While we're on the subject..
Why didn't Biden's 'assault weapon' ban prevent this shooting?

I think some efforts have been made that have probably made schools safer. Better physical security as well as shooter alerts and drills, better training for teachers and police.

But the root cause has not been addressed and the fact that students and their parents are fearful is heartbreaking.

I'd be willing to bet that just about everything people THINK they know about Columbine and other mass school shootings is wrong. Id also be willing to be that they havent studied the incidents and have no real clue as to cause, breakdowns, solutions, etc.

I'd be willing to bet that just about everything people THINK they know about Columbine and other mass school shootings is wrong. Id also be willing to be that they havent studied the incidents and have no real clue as to cause, breakdowns, solutions, etc.

I understand guns play a significant role, including ones formerly considered more appropriate for combat.

I grew up in the 60/70's
We had bullies, and fights
We had our share of racism
We had poverty and hunger
And we had 4 guns at the house with 5 kids....

We never had a shooting at or near any of my schools....

So what has changed?

Internet....social media....instant gratification....way too many single family homes....parents who either dont care, or dont have time to deal with their kids because they are busy putting bread on the table

I have grandkids and lots of grand nieces and nephews....the amount of bullying and bullshit they have to deal with on a daily basis is shocking
And it freaking starts earlier than you think....

All i can say is parents need to be aware....and look at what their kids are watching and posting....and TALK to them daily

Todays 12 year old being bullied for his glasses, may be tomorrows next shooter

I don't know that bullying is any worse today. Between 12 and 15 I ran a gauntlet every day... I remember one time I went down the long hall to a classroom at the other end of the school, and passed three fights along the way at the same time... and this was so "normal" I didn't bother to stop and watch, other than a quick glance to see if a friend was involved. Verbal bullying? About every 10 minutes would be my guess; all day every day. Nobody had any interest in being civil, let alone kind.

It only stopped when I got tough enough and mean enough to be among the top ten guys-to-not-mess-with and after I beat enough people bloody to discourage the rest. This was 1978-1980, and despite widespread violence, oddly enough school shootings were almost unheard of.

Today, there is a lot less actual fighting, but there is the Internet and the phone in everyone's pocket, and the constant connection which means the bullied have no escape even at home.... unless they actually turn all their electronics off, which kids today are almost incapable of doing.

Not sure what the answer is. There were many guns in our home, as in most homes around here... they were not locked up, I could have walked off with one easily.... but we had no school shootings I ever heard about. That was something that happened in decaying inner city schools between gangs. Mass random shootings seemed all but non-existent.

It's not guns. Blaming those is going for the low-hanging fruit. It's a fundamental change in the character of our young people. I suspect I know, but doubt my opinion would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom