• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2010–11 UEFA Champions League

This was quite an even game, Barcelona played very well for about 20 minutes towards the end of the first half, but aside from that spell both sides were looking dangerous when they attacked.

Ronaldo was Madrid'd best attacking player by a distance, Kaka, Higuain and Adebayor, when he came on, were pretty poor, Di Maria was poor first half, but better second.

I didn't think Ronaldo 'dived' much at all, both the Mascherano late tackle near the end and the Pique challenge prior to the Higuain 'goal' could easily have been called fouls.

The main unsavoury incident was Mascherano's unnecessary play-acting at the end.

Overall, the better team won and is going through, you have to make Barcelona big favourites against Man Utd, since the 2009 final Barcelona have gotten stronger and Man Utd weaker. Man Utd really need to hope Messi, Xavi and Iniesta all get injured!

I see, so THIS referee, different nationality, different assistants, was also biased in Barca's favour? Two madrid players were lucky to still be on the pitch at the final whistle. Carvalho and Adebayor both rode their luck with lots of aggressive tackles and, in Carvalho's case, a lot of referee intimidation. Still, the right result in the end, I'm sure even you must agree that the best team won over two legs.

Adebayor didn't actually do anything, all of his fouls were very tame, eventually he got a yellow for persistent fouling, which was fair enough, but he never actually hurt anyone, even the Barcelona players with incredibly low pain thresholds seemed ok!

Overall, the better team won and is going through, you have to make Barcelona big favourites against Man Utd, since the 2009 final Barcelona have gotten stronger and Man Utd weaker. Man Utd really need to hope Messi, Xavi and Iniesta all get injured!

Agreed. England would have so much better a chance of getting a home win at Wembley had the other Manchester side been playing. Don't forget the last time City played Barca and took the honours. :cool:

I see, so THIS referee, different nationality, different assistants, was also biased in Barca's favour? Two madrid players were lucky to still be on the pitch at the final whistle. Carvalho and Adebayor both rode their luck with lots of aggressive tackles and, in Carvalho's case, a lot of referee intimidation. Still, the right result in the end, I'm sure even you must agree that the best team won over two legs.

Certainly you cannot be serious. Two players were lucky to still be on the pitch at the final whistle? You've got to mean six. At least six of Madrid players should have been given the red card for daring to tackle Barcelona's players. A shameful refereeing really, and how they've allowed the second Madrid goal as if there wasn't a foul when Marcello got pushed before he knocked in the goal. Marcello should have seen the red card for being pushed like that as well, considering he's a Madrid player and he's playing against Barcelona.

Overall I think that if you're looking at those 4 classicos we have 2 ties, 1 Madrid victory and 1 Barca victory while the Barca victory and the second tie are not justified. Thus 1 Madrid victory and 1 tie. I think Madrid was the better team. Sure they've played ugly most of the time, but as long as you're playing legit and are not having the referee decide the games for you you're good in my book.

Agreed. England would have so much better a chance of getting a home win at Wembley had the other Manchester side been playing. Don't forget the last time City played Barca and took the honours. :cool:

Who are you kidding ****ty wouldn't stand a chance.

Overall I think that if you're looking at those 4 classicos we have 2 ties, 1 Madrid victory and 1 Barca victory while the Barca victory and the second tie are not justified. Thus 1 Madrid victory and 1 tie. I think Madrid was the better team. Sure they've played ugly most of the time, but as long as you're playing legit and are not having the referee decide the games for you you're good in my book.

Jose, is that you?

I didn't think Ronaldo 'dived' much at all, both the Mascherano late tackle near the end and the Pique challenge prior to the Higuain 'goal' could easily have been called fouls.

He did dive a lot. Funny how he could stay on his feet when he was far from the Barca goal area, but as soon as he got near there he fell over with the slightest touch. As for the disallowed goal. Yes you could blow for a foul by Pique but it would be a very weak foul to say the least, but there is no doubt that Ronaldo in his dive/fall clips Mascherano's ankles and that is a foul, and hence the goal is disallowed. Point is, Ronaldo fell very easily on a very weak Pique tackle, a tackle that the Ref (who was right next to the situation) did not deem to warrant a free kick.. Pique basically stands there and Ronaldo goes around and Piques leg brushes Ronaldos and he dives. It was not the first time the ref did not blow the whistle for a free kick in similar tackles by both sides. There was one or two situations in front of the Real goal with exactly the same type of tackles.

The main unsavoury incident was Mascherano's unnecessary play-acting at the end.

He was hit... did he roll around a bit more than he should.. sure, but that is called time wasting. Like it or not, had it been Real Madrid leading then the Real players would be doing exactly the same thing.

Another problem with yesterday was the amount of water on the pitch, so tackles hurt more and looked worse than they often were. Marcelo's tackle on Messi that gave Marcelo a yellow card is a good example. Had there been no water then the tackle would not have looked so bad, but because of the water, both players went flying.

IMO there are not favourites in a final like this.

If it isn't, they're both crying the same tears. :party

Apparently as does any football fan who observed the shame that is Barcelona FC throughout its recent seasons in the UEFA champions league. The only ones to live in a bubble and believe that the ref's bias can go unnoticed and they can just claim that the other side is "crying" because it lost are the Barca fans and that's pathetic really, since there's no question that the bias towards Barca is systematic and not just a one-game occurrence.

He did dive a lot. Funny how he could stay on his feet when he was far from the Barca goal area, but as soon as he got near there he fell over with the slightest touch. As for the disallowed goal. Yes you could blow for a foul by Pique but it would be a very weak foul to say the least, but there is no doubt that Ronaldo in his dive/fall clips Mascherano's ankles and that is a foul, and hence the goal is disallowed. Point is, Ronaldo fell very easily on a very weak Pique tackle, a tackle that the Ref (who was right next to the situation) did not deem to warrant a free kick.. Pique basically stands there and Ronaldo goes around and Piques leg brushes Ronaldos and he dives. It was not the first time the ref did not blow the whistle for a free kick in similar tackles by both sides. There was one or two situations in front of the Real goal with exactly the same type of tackles.

When players get fouled they are unlikely to get a free-kick unless they go to ground. Pique checked Ronaldo and by doing made it more difficult for him to continue his run, that was a foul, in that situation however referees are much more likely to recognise the foul if the player does go to ground. I would point out that Mascherano easily COULD have stayed on his feet after Ronaldo fell into him, but Mascherano's run was slowed by Ronaldo's contact so he took a theatrical tumble (and ridiculously pretended he was seriously hurt, again, unlike Ronaldo who didn't feign serious injury once), the referee almost certainly would not have disallowed the goal had Macherano not went to ground.

He was hit... did he roll around a bit more than he should.. sure, but that is called time wasting.

It was clearly a deliberate attempt to get Diarra, who was already on a booking, sent off. His dissent to the referee, after he eventually summoned the courage to get to his feet, confirmed that. Mascherano is, without doubt, that kind of player.

IMO there are not favourites in a final like this.

In terms of League points (not standing) this is the worst Man Utd team in several years. Of their current line-up only Vidic and Nani have regularly played with the type of class and composure you expect from Man Utd. I can't imagine any bookmaker not making Barcelona heavy favourites, barring of course the type of injury crisis I mentioned.

The only ones to live in a bubble and believe that the ref's bias can go unnoticed and they can just claim that the other side is "crying" because it lost are the Barca fans and that's pathetic really, since there's no question that the bias towards Barca is systematic and not just a one-game occurrence.

Well, I'm not a Barca fan so your point holds no water. I do love the way they play football, less so in the Clásico, but generally I prefer their style to that of many other teams, especially Real Madrid, whose style against strong opposition is scandalously negative and cynical. Your conspiracy theory about the refs' favouritism is nothing more than that.

When players get fouled they are unlikely to get a free-kick unless they go to ground. Pique checked Ronaldo and by doing made it more difficult for him to continue his run, that was a foul, in that situation however referees are much more likely to recognise the foul if the player does go to ground.

I dont disagree. But if you noticed that through out the game the ref did not give fouls for minor checking like what Pique did. Also in this case Ronaldo's reputation of being a serial diver certainly worked against him.

I would point out that Mascherano easily COULD have stayed on his feet after Ronaldo fell into him, but Mascherano's run was slowed by Ronaldo's contact so he took a theatrical tumble (and ridiculously pretended he was seriously hurt, again, unlike Ronaldo who didn't feign serious injury once), the referee almost certainly would not have disallowed the goal had Macherano not went to ground.

Maybe, but knowing from experience getting you heals hit hurts like hell. Was Mascherano being "professional?".. sure but then so was Ronaldo several times when he dived and did not get a free kick or/and the time he did get a free kick.

It was clearly a deliberate attempt to get Diarra, who was already on a booking, sent off.

Maybe, maybe not. Diarra had a great game but he also made some rough tackles. Real Madrid are known for trying to get players off, as we saw in the first game, and as we see in every game in La Liga they play. They are far from innocent in the over all game.

His dissent to the referee, after he eventually summoned the courage to get to his feet, confirmed that. Mascherano is, without doubt, that kind of player.

All players are "that" kind of player.. Ronaldo is the master at it as is Drogbah and a few others of Mourinhos favourites.

In terms of League points (not standing) this is the worst Man Utd team in several years. Of their current line-up only Vidic and Nani have regularly played with the type of class and composure you expect from Man Utd. I can't imagine any bookmaker not making Barcelona heavy favourites, barring of course the type of injury crisis I mentioned.

I meant to say.. there are NO favourites :) sorry for the typo.

Man U can win this just as much as Barca. It will all depend on injuries, tonights game (bookings, injuries), and how harsh the last few games will be. Also remember, Barca has 4 to 5 games left (cant remember) and Man U has only 3. So the "break" for Man U can have a positive but also a negative influence on their team. Looking at Barca, injuries can come into play (no left back sux), as well as how fast Barca can seal up the league. On Sunday they have the local derby against Espanyol, which will not be easy and the if you think the first Real match last week was rough...

And finally.. it depends on the day it self.. who has an off day or not, and so on and so on. In a final anyone can win.... which is how Porto and Mourinho did it.

Mourinho Thread-Banned

Seems UEFA take a very dim view of claims that they or their referees are all fans of Barca. Seems like a reasonable punishment for one conspiracy theory too far.

Mourinho Thread-Banned

Seems UEFA take a very dim view of claims that they or their referees are all fans of Barca. Seems like a reasonable punishment for one conspiracy theory too far.

IMO too little. They should have yanked his pro-license. He is a disgrace to football and to the very proud and great club of Real Madrid. Hope they fire his ass for dragging the whites into the ****ter as he has.

IMO too little. They should have yanked his pro-license. He is a disgrace to football and to the very proud and great club of Real Madrid. Hope they fire his ass for dragging the whites into the ****ter as he has.

Disagree. I think it's just. You think Real haven't behaved in a despicable manner before Mourinho arrived? A proud and great club? An arrogant, too rich club whose heyday was while it received the unstinting, often illegal support of a tyranical dictatorship.

Disagree. I think it's just. You think Real haven't behaved in a despicable manner before Mourinho arrived? A proud and great club? An arrogant, too rich club whose heyday was while it received the unstinting, often illegal support of a tyranical dictatorship.

To be honest.. yes. Madrid has always been good at tricks, but they very rarely blame refs, UEFA, other teams and so on for their own failures. Since Mourinho arrived they have constantly complained about refs, bias and what not. All in the while they have played far from the Real Madrid teams of the past. There is no flair no gusto.. they look more like Chealski than the Real Madrids of the past... and the Real Madrid fans that I know (and there are a few) hate the way their team has fallen and play. But at the moment Mourinho is almost untouchable.. not even the club President is allowed into his office without an appointment... wtf!

To be honest.. yes. Madrid has always been good at tricks, but they very rarely blame refs, UEFA, other teams and so on for their own failures. Since Mourinho arrived they have constantly complained about refs, bias and what not. All in the while they have played far from the Real Madrid teams of the past. There is no flair no gusto.. they look more like Chealski than the Real Madrids of the past... and the Real Madrid fans that I know (and there are a few) hate the way their team has fallen and play. But at the moment Mourinho is almost untouchable.. not even the club President is allowed into his office without an appointment... wtf!

Fair enough, but when was the last time Real played with flair or gusto? Under Pellegrini? Schuster? Juan De Ramos? Fabio Capello? We're going back quite a long time now.

As far as your last point is concerned, to me, that's how it should be. The manager should be the most powerful man at the club because it's his head constantly on the block. Who do you think is the most powerful man at Manchester United? Arsenal? Barcelona? Those clubs where the manager is actually in charge of the club seem to have a better record than those where the Presidents or Chairmen exercise to much influence and meddle with team building, team selection, etc. Witness Real's fall from glory.

Fair enough, but when was the last time Real played with flair or gusto? Under Pellegrini? Schuster? Juan De Ramos? Fabio Capello? We're going back quite a long time now.

Del Bosque.. hell they played with more flair and gusto under Capello... They played better under Pellegrini too.

As far as your last point is concerned, to me, that's how it should be. The manager should be the most powerful man at the club because it's his head constantly on the block. Who do you think is the most powerful man at Manchester United? Arsenal? Barcelona? Those clubs where the manager is actually in charge of the club seem to have a better record than those where the Presidents or Chairmen exercise to much influence and meddle with team building, team selection, etc. Witness Real's fall from glory.

You really think that the Glazers have to ask permission to meet with Fergie? Do you really think that Abramhovic needs to make an appointment to see Anchellotti? How about the Sheik of Manchester City.. do you really think that he would accept to have to make an appointment to meet Manchini?

The President/owner of a club is the top dog period. The Manager is an employee period.

The big question now is.. will the Real president stand by Mourinho in Mourinho's building battle with Ronaldo and other "expensive" personnel... time will tell. If they loose tonight then all hell breaks loose.

Del Bosque.. hell they played with more flair and gusto under Capello... They played better under Pellegrini too.

I disagree about Capello and Pellegrini. Del Bosque was a shining light in a dim recent history. And he was sacked after having won the league because of internal politics that a Real manager is powerless to oppose.

You really think that the Glazers have to ask permission to meet with Fergie?
Yes.
Do you really think that Abramhovic needs to make an appointment to see Anchellotti? How about the Sheik of Manchester City.. do you really think that he would accept to have to make an appointment to meet Manchini?
No, and no. That's both of the rich clubs' weakness.
The President/owner of a club is the top dog period. The Manager is an employee period.
No and yes.
Successful clubs through history have shown that when you appoint a manager the club perfroms best when you let him run it. The most successful club managers in history* have all been the most important and influential figures at those clubs. Yes, they can be sacked, but to allow presidents or chairmen to make footballing decisions that they are unqualified to make spells disaster. They should stick to ensuring ticket sales, catering, marketing, supporter services and commercial activities are run well and bring in revenue. They should give the manager the money they need and let him run the football team, the academy, and player purchasing. If they don't think he can be trusted with that, they should sack him.

*Johann Cruyff
Bob Paisley
Jock Stein
Bill Shankly
Brian Clough
Alex Ferguson, and that crowd has and 20 European trophies (incl. 9 European Champions titles) between them.

The big question now is.. will the Real president stand by Mourinho in Mourinho's building battle with Ronaldo and other "expensive" personnel... time will tell. If they loose tonight then all hell breaks loose.
History would suggest that Real presidents usually side with the on-field talent. They do not appreciate the importance of a secure and powerful manager, hence their recent mediocre record, despite all their millions.

Okay, last night of the campaign. A dream final. Man Utd vs. FC Barca at Wembley. Any predictions? I'm going for a Barca victory 3-1. I think they are just a far superior side than United. I think United will try to play open, flowing football and that will be a mistake. They need to play it tight and close Barca down at every turn. They need to counter-attack (not just with long-balls, btw Pete, but will speed that they have in abundance from Chicharito and Valencia) and not play Barca at their own game, because they are head-and-shoulders better at it than United. But I think United believe that they are the equal of Barca, and that may be their undoing.

Course, I could be wrong. Barca could have a stinker, they've had them before.

I shall be watching surrounded by Real madrid fans wanting United, and in the company of a couple of other Man City fans wanting Barca. Promises to be a good evening!

I'm going for a Barca victory 3-1. I think they are just a far superior side than United. I think United will try to play open, flowing football and that will be a mistake.

Just call me a footballing oracle. Did I call it, or did I call it! United the team of the past. You've had a good run boys, now move over and let someone else have a crack at the best team in the world.

Barca were outstanding, a joy to watch, and home-grown. I can't see another team achieving the heights that they have achieved anytime soon, but United certainly didn't come close. Ihope someone else can come up and challenge but how do you overcome football of that quality?

I said to my friends before the game that I did not care if Man U or Barcelona won since both teams deserved to be there and actually played football.

After the first 10 minutes I though Man U had the game plan to defeat Barca.. after the first 45min I had no doubt that Man U would be defeated since they could not keep up.

Barcelona played brilliantly, the ref was fair and 99% correct. I still say that Valencia should have gotten his yellow card much much earlier for his rough pushing and tackling.

Only thing that still pisses me off is last years final.. it should have been Barca vs Bayern and not Inter vs Bayern...horrific refereeing cost Barcelona last years final. 3 in a row would have been a true tribute to this wonderful team.

OK, now that was good. Can you prove it was genius by confirming this saturday's UK lottery numbers for me please?

07 22 23 33 40 49

Please let me know the date of the cheque presentation and I'll send you my bank details. Does 15% seem reasonable to you?

Oh, and City to contest next year's CL final with Barca. 1-0 victory for City.

Remember where you heard it first.

Back
Top Bottom