• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

14 yr old having second baby

to what justifiable means? So the government can put the child in an institution or a foster home with people who care nothing about him/her just to satisfy your marriage requirement? These kids would be on medicaid until 18 and the foster parents, who more than likely give a rats ass about the kid, would get a check of about $24,000 a year from our taxes to pay for the child. Ive been through 9 different foster homes and one was decent. Why not give the.kids a fighting chance even at the hands of a teen mother or an unwed mother (and/or father).

I am not a fan of Foster Homes in our current system. I would be a much bigger proponent of properly run Children's Homes where these kids could be properly raised. It wouldn't necessarily be a fun or pleasant experience, but that's not the point of life, even in childhood. The point of life is to live PROPERLY, and since the fruit of a poisoned tree cannot be good, allowing these child-parents to keep their kids is not a good idea. Better to have these kids raised in a more sterile environment where they may not get the "love", but will get taught Right and Wrong.

The point of life is to live PROPERLY

You think that living life properly means committing murder and genocide... Nah.

That's ok, your version of properly is not something any child should be subjected to.

I wouldn't vote to beat the piss out of them because Bristol got pregnant in high school. But maybe just pissing on the mother for parading around the idea that abstinence was the answer while knowing her own teenage daughter was home pregnant.

In which case, she'd have been disowned if she lived in the family I grew up in. As my father's comment always was.... "While you live under MY roof you live by MY rules. If you don't like it, you're free to leave with everything YOU own... that is everything YOU bought for yourself."

But now to be the devil's advocate. I have a friend who has a daughter in the US Air Force working as a anesthesiologist in the Middle East while the friend's son just got out of prison after 10 years. Both children had equal opportunity and the same parents. You can lead them only so far and rest is up to them. I have a hard time blaming them for poor parenting in having a son wind up in prison.

True. At the point they choose to step off the path, you're free to kick them to the curb.

On your side I will admit it is probably a very good chance the young girl who got pregnant at a early age came from a dysfunctional family but we weren't given facts.

Very true.

You think that living life properly means committing murder and genocide... Nah.

That's ok, your version of properly is not something any child should be subjected to.

I believe that Living Properly means accepting the Consequences for your actions. Many of those Consequences are unpleasant. That's just a fact of life.

It's amazing how often people transfer their own experiences, feelings and opinions onto others they don't know.

How? And what difference does it make? We live in a world that is highly enlightened. If having babies at age 12 was what most people wanted it would still be the norm, but it's not. Humans take a very long time to mature. That's a fact. There are hardly any teenagers that can handle taking care of babies without lots of help. They end up ruining not only their lives, but the lives of their children.

Yesterday in the local hospital here, a 14 year old unmarried girl had her second baby. With the assistance of government for her health care and that baby's healthcare. Not even old enough to hold down a job. Young enough to fall under rules to for mandatory school attendance.

It seems to me that we should do more for young girls like this, than to just cover their physical needs financially. Something is wrong when a girl that age is having her second baby. Somewhere, someone has failed her and that person should be to blame, in my opinion. She is most likely destined to be on government assistance her entire life. Maybe not, I know that some are able to rise above situations. But to me, she needs more than someone to just pay her medical bills.

Maybe it is just the state I live in, and other states have programs and such geared toward helping young girls like this. Or do we all just ignore one of the very things that can cause this lifetime dependency on the government.

Just wondered your thoughts, as the whole situation surrounding the child makes me wonder what could be done to help her.

Yikes!!! Birth control sounds like a good idea along with parenting classes and lots and lots of support. I think that is the MOST that anyone can do for this girl and her children. I don't know how successful any government program would be in stopping teenagers from having unprotected sex.

How? And what difference does it make? We live in a world that is highly enlightened. If having babies at age 12 was what most people wanted it would still be the norm, but it's not. Humans take a very long time to mature. That's a fact. There are hardly any teenagers that can handle taking care of babies without lots of help. They end up ruining not only their lives, but the lives of their children.

I disagree with "there are hardly any teenagers that can handle taking care of babies without lots of help."
Teenagers have taken care of babies the entire history of the human race.
However, teenagers used to be trained in how to take care of babies. It also used to not be taught to teenagers that having babies is a stupid and wrong.

"abstinence only" sex education, no birth control pills, religious downgrading on the value of girls and the rule of men, blocking access to abortions. This society is so morally degenerate, that you'd need to ship most republican religious wing nuts out of here before we can have a moral nation again, IMHO.

Wait... you think that abstinence for a 13 year old isn't moral and that republicans promoting responsibility and planning are immoral? :lol:

I disagree with "there are hardly any teenagers that can handle taking care of babies without lots of help."
However, teenagers used to be trained in how to take care of babies. It also used to not be taught to teenagers that having babies is a stupid and wrong.

We live in the 21st century... not on some little farm in the 1400's. Sorry to break it to you. Young teenagers having babies is stupid.

I certainly hope that you don't have any children. I don't think that would be a very good idea for you at all.

Wait... you think that abstinence for a 13 year old isn't moral and that republicans promoting responsibility and planning are immoral? :lol:

she's on her 2nd kid... she was probably 12 for her first one...

just throw birth control at her and tell her it's cool to go ****... that's the only thing liberals will accept.

First of all, I don't think it is a very good idea for teenagers to have babies. We've learned a lot of things about children since "the old days" about children and teens, and life certainly has changed big time. Also, the first marriage age medians in historical marriage license records and census data reflects that the belief that most YOUNG teens (14 and younger) were getting married off is highly exaggerated, as you can see in this chart.

Median Age at First Marriage, 1890–2010 — Infoplease.com

Another point is that this practice is just not practical anymore in modern times.

Just wondered your thoughts, as the whole situation surrounding the child makes me wonder what could be done to help her.

Let's Scarlet Letter her ass!

she's on her 2nd kid... she was probably 12 for her first one...

just throw birth control at her and tell her it's cool to go ****... that's the only thing liberals will accept.

It certainly is the moral choice too... if the immoral conservatives had their way they would be trouncing her rights to be a pre-teen slut.

First of all, I don't think it is a very good idea for teenagers to have babies. We've learned a lot of things about children since "the old days" about children and teens, and life certainly has changed big time. Also, the first marriage age medians in historical marriage license records and census data reflects that the belief that most YOUNG teens (14 and younger) were getting married off is highly exaggerated, as you can see in this chart.

Median Age at First Marriage, 1890–2010 — Infoplease.com

Another point is that this practice is just not practical anymore in modern times.

Yeah, it's not like we live in a society where the height of skill requires that you can milk a cow and plant rows of crops. For this girl and her children to have any chance at a productive future she's going to need to figure out ways to balance parenthood with education. Which is never an easy thing, especially when the girl seems to be the type of case where success wasn't likely expected from the very beginning, before she got pregnant

Yeah, it's not like we live in a society where the height of skill requires that you can milk a cow and plant rows of crops. For this girl and her children to have any chance at a productive future she's going to need to figure out ways to balance parenthood with education. Which is never an easy thing, especially when the girl seems to be the type of case where success wasn't likely expected from the very beginning, before she got pregnant

Yes, having two children to care for is not going to make her life any easier. Hopefully, she can get the support and help that she is going to need, but from that fact that this is her SECOND child, I don't see that happening. I wonder who's the daddy (or daddies), and if he (or they) will help out.

"abstinence only" sex education, no birth control pills, religious downgrading on the value of girls and the rule of men, blocking access to abortions. This society is so morally degenerate, that you'd need to ship most republican religious wing nuts out of here before we can have a moral nation again, IMHO.

This 14 yo girl has 2 kids and you want to blame in the GOP?

Presumably there is at least one father. Go after his parents for support if her own parents can't help her.

Could be an alternative to a rape charge and prison for little Johnny.

But of course that would make it their problem when you seem to want to make it everyone else's problem.

The simple fact that she has kids is an indication that her parents aren't helping her.

Couldn't she just get married?

This is interesting, here.

What is a 'teenager' - in the US we all think of teens as being 'between the ages of 13 and 18'. . . and everything is defined by age-milestones that are reached.

However - a more broad and accurate definition would be 'a teenager is one who is between an adolescent, maturity wise - and an adult, maturity wise. An ageless status. A teenager is one approaching adult-maturity but is not yet there.'

In the US and similar countries where we espouse the value of the nuclear family - you're considered 'your own family' when you have 'your own children' - and thus (to many adults) you are seen to be 'on your own' once you have a child. This, though, contradicts other factors such 'being able to financially support ones family' - because it's not enough to just HAVE your own. It's such a serious, deep value that many people can't comprehend life any other way - and the very idea of supporting a child who had a child all in the same home set many parent's teeth on edge. They just can't *break* that thought-processs that isn't so much 'human-nature' as it is 'our cultural nature'

And then there are others who approach 'adulthood' in different ways - a teenager might be one who's learning a trade, but might never be expected to physically leave home - or maybe this depends on gender. In some culture the girls stay within the matriarchal familial unit while the males do not . . . and so on. It all depends on culture influences - and nothing more.

There is no 'human nature' line - there is 'the socially determined line' that defines 'teen-hood'

In our society - with our values of independence and self-support . . . no, it's just not feasible to expect a young teen to suddenly be an adult and take on all those responsibilities.

Couldn't she just get married?

There we go. Constitutional amendment...enforced shotgun weddings. Everyone wins. Particularly shotgun manufacturers.

There we go. Constitutional amendment...enforced shotgun weddings. Everyone wins. Particularly shotgun manufacturers.

They employ people too...

Back
Top Bottom