• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Your credibility... will die in this room’

Obamacare was passed with 60 votes. I'm not sure what archaic rule you're talking about. It wasn't for the original bill.

They did pass legislation related to it that they used the same "archaic budgetary" rule is used to pass tax cuts like TCJA and budgets nearly every year with a simple Senate majority. It's limited to one piece of legislation each year and can only deal in very limited matters directly impacting spending or taxes. But I guess it's only OK if Republicans do it or something.
Let me refresh your memory.
January 2010 — Scott Brown Upsets Democrats’ Strategy
Brown, a Republican, unexpectedly won the seat left empty by the 2009 death of Sen. Edward Kennedy, depriving Senate Democrats of 60 votes, the number needed to force a vote on the bill. Backers of the bill moved to a complicated Plan B. That involved requiring the House to pass the Senate bill without any changes. Compromises were worked out through the budget reconciliation process that enabled Senate passage with only 51 votes.

Let me refresh your memory.

I know the history. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/dec/24/us-senate-passes-healthcare-bill

The US Senate has passed a sweeping healthcare reform bill, bringing Barack Obama a step closer to enacting one of his signature campaign promises and to meeting a goal sought by US presidents for decades.
The $871bn bill will be merged with similar legislation passed by the House of Representatives, with a final version expected to reach the president's desk by mid-February.
The Senate bill passed on a 60-39 party line vote.

There were significant differences between the House and Senate versions. The expectation was that the House and Senate would negotiate a final bill, and then both chambers would then vote to approve the negotiated compromise, but Brown being elected forced the House to pass the Senate version as is, because the Senate couldn't get any amended bill passed. Bottom line is that 60th vote was, to paraphrase Joe Biden, a "big ****ing deal" requiring, among other things, for the public option to be dropped to get Lieberman on board.

I know the history. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/dec/24/us-senate-passes-healthcare-bill

There were significant differences between the House and Senate versions. The expectation was that the House and Senate would negotiate a final bill, and then both chambers would then vote to approve the negotiated compromise, but Brown being elected forced the House to pass the Senate version as is, because the Senate couldn't get any amended bill passed. Bottom line is that 60th vote was, to paraphrase Joe Biden, a "big ****ing deal" requiring, among other things, for the public option to be dropped to get Lieberman on board.
They passed it with 51 votes not 60. They used a budgetary tool to get it through. They got what they wanted and paid a big price for it.

They passed it with 51 votes not 60. They used a budgetary tool to get it through. They got what they wanted and paid a big price for it.

The Affordable Care Act was passed with 60 votes. Some of the financial pieces were subsequently amended by a different smaller bill, which was indeed a reconciliation bill.

Senate Republicans made a huge mistake not working with the Democrats to delay the confirmation until after the election. They could have had a tacit agreement with the Democrats to restore the supermajority requirement for confirmation. They could still do it.

They would rather have conservative control in the SC for a generation, betting that the Dems can't muster enough support to add the 4 more seats and fill them with liberal justices who would assuredly vote liberal. The worst that could happen is that Dems would start treating Reps like Reps have been treating Dems for so long. But that usually doesn't work for too long. Dems just don't have it it them.

I imagine you can take it to the bank that judges will not be seated ever again unless the potus and the senate are members of the same party.

Or there's a super majority to override an opposing party president's veto.

Who would do the nominations?
Public opinion would force the president to choose a nominee acceptable to the supermajority. That is the advise portion of advise and consent.

The manner in which McConnell and Graham have engineered this coup is going to leave a mark and a stain. I anticipate (and look forward to) Democrat judicial "rebalancing" after November.
Sheldon Whitehouse is one of the biggest blowhard jokes in the Senate. Everything about the guy oozes political hypocrisy. His performance during the Barrett hearings shows he is a bloviating attention whore

He didn't actually try it, because the court backed off. So that never happened.
His threat was effective. Charles Evan Hughes and other justices, rolled over and became FDR's bitches after the threat was made

The manner in which McConnell and Graham have engineered this coup is going to leave a mark and a stain. I anticipate (and look forward to) Democrat judicial "rebalancing" after November.
How is following the constitution a coup? you don't even know what a coup is. How is following the constitution going to leave a mark or a stain?
please let us know and be specific.

I think whitehouse just needs more tissues to cry into that is all leftist do is cry and whine.

Correct, we will add a dozen liberal judges to SCOTUS and then put 3 more on every court of appeals across the country. Next, FEMA reeducation camps for all the Trumpers.

How is following the constitution a coup? you don't even know what a coup is. How is following the constitution going to leave a mark or a stain?
please let us know and be specific.

I think whitehouse just needs more tissues to cry into that is all leftist do is cry and whine.
I'm sure they will cover that at the FEMA camp. Just hold tight.

First, eliminate the filibuster. Second, expand the federal bench by 50 judges (last increased in 1990, US population has risen 90 million since then) and fill those seats. Third, add D.C. as the 51st state. Fourth, reform the SCOTUS. 18 year terms, each President appoints two justices, if an extra vacancy occurs, the replacement would only serve the remainder of the term.
Even the most hard core democrats are not stupid enough to get rid of the filibuster. They are not that stupid.
There is no need for 50 judges unless those 50 judges will up hold the constitution as written and can be charged by the people with
crimes for breaking and or not up holding the constitution.

It would not be constitutional to add DC as the 51st state.
This is what leftist do when they don't get what they want.

The filibuster only gives the minority rule vastly too much power.
No it doesn't. It forces congress to work together. It actually forces compromise.

Correct, we will add a dozen liberal judges to SCOTUS and then put 3 more on every court of appeals across the country. Next, FEMA reeducation camps for all the Trumpers.
Won't need to. They will migrate to Russia to worship another strong leader.

you won't do anything. we laugh at the trolling though.

Won't need to. They will migrate to Russia to worship another strong leader.
it's amusing watching lefties talk about strong leaders. Your side wants bigger government, not ours

it's amusing watching lefties talk about strong leaders. Your side wants bigger government, not ours
No. A bigger government is more of us working together to get what society needs.. An autocrat is using us to get what he wants.

Even the most hard core democrats are not stupid enough to get rid of the filibuster. They are not that stupid.
There is no need for 50 judges unless those 50 judges will up hold the constitution as written and can be charged by the people with
crimes for breaking and or not up holding the constitution.

It would not be constitutional to add DC as the 51st state.
This is what leftist do when they don't get what they want.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. 100% inaccuracy!

No. A bigger government is more of us working together to get what society needs.. An autocrat is using us to get what he wants.
a bigger government tends to take from us what we need.

These allegations against the Republicans are childish. The left has said let the people decide. Well they did. There is no reason for the Senate, who were elected in 2018 and gained seats in the Senate should not put Barrett on the court. There is no reason Trump should not nominate Barrett to the court. Trump was elected in 2016 for a 4 year term, that term is not over until January 20, 2021.. This crybaby tactic is so typical of the left, their famous for having a double standard. The Constitution and the laws of the land are clear and the Republicans have not violated law nor have they failed to followed established precedent. Anyone who claims they have is either ignorant of facts, or deliberately spreading false information, as Kamala Harris and Amy Klobacher both did by leaving out the entire story and thus taking Lincoln's action out of context.

Back
Top Bottom