• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Your credibility... will die in this room’

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

10/15/20
Sheldon Whitehouse issued a blunt warning to his Republican colleagues on Thursday, as he watched the Judiciary Committee ready Amy Coney Barrett’s Supreme Court nomination for the Senate floor. There will not be two sets of rules for Democratic and Republican Senate majorities, Whitehouse vowed; the GOP decision to block President Barack Obama’s nominee in 2016 and approve President Donald Trump’s just days before the 2020 election will have consequences. “Don’t think when you have established the rule of ‘because we can,’ that should the shoe be on the other foot, you will have any credibility to come to us and say: ‘yeah, I know you can do that, but you shouldn’t,’” Whitehouse said. “Your credibility to make that argument at any time in the future will die in this room and on that Senate floor if you continue.” The Rhode Island Democrat succinctly stated what’s on everyone’s mind: Once Barrett is confirmed, all bets are off about how the Senate — and the Supreme Court — might look a few months from now if Democrats sweep in November. Whitehouse’s remarks were pointed enough to serve as a warning for Republicans but vague enough to avoid creating the “court-packing” headline that the GOP would want coming out of Barrett’s hearing. In an interview afterward, Whitehouse called his statement “more or less a preview of coming attractions and work to be done, than it was a threat.”

After repeated questioning, Democratic presidential nominee Biden eventually conceded he’s “not a fan” of adding seats to the high court. Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) hasn’t promised retaliation, but he’s also declined to rule out anything, be it changing the Supreme Court or killing the filibuster. While they address the issue gingerly, Schumer’s Democratic members are quick to show that they will not unilaterally disarm after Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) engineered a massive swing of the court to the right. As Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) said of Republicans on Thursday: “They’re breaking the norms and traditions. And that leaves everything uncertain.” Progressive activists want an expansion of the Supreme Court and vow to get rid of the filibuster if Democrats win. But for the most part, few Democrats want to talk about retribution three weeks before an election that they’re increasingly favored to win. “We will fill every judicial vacancy,” said Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii). "As far as I’m concerned it is highly likely that we will proceed under the same kinds of rules that they’ve put in place. I hardly call that retaliation.”

The manner in which McConnell and Graham have engineered this coup is going to leave a mark and a stain. I anticipate (and look forward to) Democrat judicial "rebalancing" after November.

Trump is just plain old stupid. He thinks by getting barrett appointed it will help him with votes. If anything, it will hurt him and all the down ticket gop folks. I now expect them to lose everything.

Trump is the worst thing to happen to the gop for a long time but then again they've been asking for someone like him for a long time. All the dog whistles over the decades, the innuendo, the allusion the misinformation and disinformation to gin up the base has worked and now it will be the downfall of the gop. Tell me lies, tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies.

It's about time a Dem grew a pair or ovum about something. Look what it took. Dems wait for the 16-wheeler they see coming to run them over, back over them, and run them over again, before the say a peep. Dems like Joe Manchin may not "fall in line" like Reps to do something about it. And, it's not proactive as was McConnell and the Reps in leading their own way. They don't do anything until they practically have no choice than to do something.

If the Senate gains a majority to the Democrats and the House remains a Democrat majority then I think Biden will try and succeed in packing the SCOTUS, this time it might work for the Democrats. When FDR tried to pack the SCOTUS it failed, even though the Democrats had a Supermajority in both the Senate and the House, the reason it failed is due to FDR's shortsideness on the Democrats to abandon the Constitution. Today we don't have that problem, the Democrats are more than willing to abandon the principals of the Constitution in order to get their agenda passed, so packing the court should be no problem.

If the Senate gains a majority to the Democrats and the House remains a Democrat majority then I think Biden will try and succeed in packing the SCOTUS, this time it might work for the Democrats. When FDR tried to pack the SCOTUS it failed, even though the Democrats had a Supermajority in both the Senate and the House, the reason it failed is due to FDR's shortsideness on the Democrats to abandon the Constitution. Today we don't have that problem, the Democrats are more than willing to abandon the principals of the Constitution in order to get their agenda passed, so packing the court should be no problem.

What do you mean "abandon the principals of the Constitution" when the Constitution allows Congress to revise the number of justices on the SC?

Senate Republicans made a huge mistake not working with the Democrats to delay the confirmation until after the election. They could have had a tacit agreement with the Democrats to restore the supermajority requirement for confirmation. They could still do it.

Democrats are the ones abandoning the Constitution.
Right.....

ROFL.gif

Yes, and this is a problem for democracy. Trump (and the republicans)has moved the boundaries to a, what I consider, dangerous level.

As I see it, the Democrats have no choice in the matter, they need to follow the republicans example in order to get the other party to agree on establishing rules, limits and regulations for the political power once again. You can't be the only one following the rules in an "agreement".

The manner in which McConnell and Graham have engineered this coup is going to leave a mark and a stain. I anticipate (and look forward to) Democrat judicial "rebalancing" after November.
This is why if Trump is reelected and the GOP keeps the senate, they should go ahead and put another 4 to 6 justices on the bench. 2008 we learned all bets were off when they rammed obamacare through.

Senate Republicans made a huge mistake not working with the Democrats to delay the confirmation until after the election. They could have had a tacit agreement with the Democrats to restore the supermajority requirement for confirmation. They could still do it.

They've made a calculation.

Control the SC for a generation. The Dems would have to add 4 justices that would vote liberal to have a liberal court. Not likely to succeed. Not likely, given control of the Senate, enough Dems would go for that. They don't stick together like the Reps do. I doubt that the Joe Manchins would go for it.

Whoever gets voted out of office can either comfortably retire or take a one-year vacation then become a lobbyist, getting paid more than a US Senator.

Controlling the higher courts, which the Reps have done by gaining control of the WH, the Senate and the majority of states (starting about 15 yrs ago = redistricting/gerrymandering/etc), have allowed them to achieve their #1 goal of controlling the fed appeals and SC courts.

All Republicans had to do was not steal a Supreme Court Justice from Obama for a year. Using a loophole.

If there is ever another Republican president with a democratic senate I hope they hold Supreme Court nominations for 4 years

All Republicans had to do was not steal a Supreme Court Justice from Obama for a year. Using a loophole.

If there is ever another Republican president with a democratic senate I hope they hold Supreme Court nominations for 4 years
I imagine you can take it to the bank that judges will not be seated ever again unless the potus and the senate are members of the same party.

I imagine you can take it to the bank that judges will not be seated ever again unless the potus and the senate are members of the same party.
just as our Founders intended.

If it aint a law, ****ing go gangbusters. That is what Trump taught us. Norms, we dont need no stinkin norms.

When FDR tried to pack the SCOTUS it failed, even though the Democrats had a Supermajority in both the Senate and the House, the reason it failed is due to FDR's shortsideness on the Democrats to abandon the Constitution.

He didn't actually try it, because the court backed off. So that never happened.

There is no constitution issue. Our modern problem stems from the " nuclear option". And yes I know that was introduced by the Democrats. It is what allows nominees who are clearly ideologically chosen to be confirmed.

If there GOP continues on this path and confirms a new justice - all bets are off and the rules no longer matter to the majority in control.

The GOP will get it rubbed in their own faces and they invited it.

It's about time a Dem grew a pair or ovum about something. Look what it took. Dems wait for the 16-wheeler they see coming to run them over, back over them, and run them over again, before the say a peep. Dems like Joe Manchin may not "fall in line" like Reps to do something about it. And, it's not proactive as was McConnell and the Reps in leading their own way. They don't do anything until they practically have no choice than to do something.
Collins won't vote on her before the election. Will that matter?

There is no constitution issue. Our modern problem stems from the " nuclear option". And yes I know that was introduced by the Democrats. It is what allows nominees who are clearly ideologically chosen to be confirmed.
It should be 2/3, like it was intended.

How is increasing the size of the court abandoning the constitution?

The filibuster is not in the constitution... It's simply a rule the senate adopted and remove...
I know that. I think the Senate's reasoning behind that was correct.

I know that. I think the Senate's reasoning behind that was correct.

It made sense for a long time but not so much any longer...

Back
Top Bottom