• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Intruder’ able to walk into Uvalde school unchallenged as new report slams medical response

They aren’t exactly rewarding failure, they are funding just enough to guarantee it. They can’t replace people in the same way as companies that can afford to pay more. They don’t have the resources to do that.

Nonsense, ‘more resources’ won’t change union contract terms (other than inflating pay rates).

And how do you get competent employees? By offering low pay and benefits?

The back doors latch at Walmarts and even mom & pop stores, yet they’re not known to offer higher (than public union) wages or benefits.

The back doors latch at Walmarts and even mom & pop stores, yet they’re not known to offer higher (than public union) wages or benefits.

You don’t know this. That would mean none of these are ever susceptible any time of day to an intruder. My workplace had a door that would periodically fail to latch. So my anecdote shows your claim is absolutely incorrect.

Yes.

Nobody, because then they would have no basis to (endlessly?) demand ‘more resources’.

And how do you make people do a better job?

You have no idea of the resources they have or how often they ask for more. You know nothing about the problem but pretend to have the solution.

Union contracts are irrelevant to solving this problem. Resources are not.

Hmm.. are intruders gaining entry unchallenged not a problem? What would you recommend (aside from disarming everyone)?

Hmm.. are intruders gaining entry unchallenged not a problem? What would you recommend (aside from disarming everyone)?

Union contracts are not the cause of intruders. You have offered no solutions but to imply that union contracts somehow contribute.

And how do you make people do a better job?

Deny them pay raises or replace them if they refuse to do so, but those are likely ‘off the table’ under union contract terms.

You have no idea of the resources they have or how often they ask for more. You know nothing about the problem but pretend to have the solution.

The problem stated in the OP was that intruders are still free to enter the school building unchallenged and that exterior (back?) doors still don’t latch.

Union contracts are not the cause of intruders. You have offered no solutions but to imply that union contracts somehow contribute.

Current personnel allowed an intruder to enter unchallenged and allowed doors which don’t latch to remain un-repaired.

Deny them pay raises or replace them if they refuse to do so, but those are likely ‘off the table’ under union contract terms.

The problem stated in the OP was that intruders are still free to enter the school building unchallenged and that exterior (back?) doors still don’t latch.

And you don’t know why the problem wasn’t addressed, but assume if must be somehow related to a union.

Your opinion of what motivates people to do a better job is just that; your opinion. In my experience, not getting raises doesn’t motivate people to do a better job. And replacing one incompetent with another doesn’t either. Why don’t you point your finger at the school board and administrators who actually run things? It is a management problem, as all problems are in any organization.

And you don’t know why the problem wasn’t addressed, but assume if must be somehow related to a union.

Your opinion of what motivates people to do a better job is just that; your opinion. In my experience, not getting raises doesn’t motivate people to do a better job. And replacing one incompetent with another doesn’t either. Why don’t you point your finger at the school board and administrators who actually run things? It is a management problem, as all problems are in any organization.

It’s likely that management is at least partly to blame, but you assume that without stating why nobody else seems to care that intruders can still enter the Uvalde school unchallenged.

Are you assuming that problem was known only by management and that the rank and file employees were unaware of it?

It’s likely that management is at least partly to blame, but you assume that without stating why nobody else seems to care that intruders can still enter the Uvalde school unchallenged.

Are you assuming that problem was known only by management and that the rank and file employees were unaware of it?

I never made any comment on who cares or not. I don’t know. You can care and still be lax and incompetent in getting something taken care of. I am saying that what happens at the school is the ultimate responsibility of those who actually run the school.

Yep, but they aren’t getting replaced either. Far too many public employees are given ‘job for life’ status.

Once again, you are stating an opinion that has nothing to do with this particular case.

I never made any comment on who cares or not. I don’t know. You can care and still be lax and incompetent in getting something taken care of. I am saying that what happens at the school is the ultimate responsibility of those who actually run the school.

That’s my point - folks are lax and incompetent, yet they keep their ‘jobs for life’.

Another odd thing about employment in the public sector is the expectation that a system that has had a total, disastrous failure be fixed without committing new resources to the problem.
One day a politician will have the confidence, either through personal courage or a changed public attitude or both, to run and be elected on raising taxes to address a desperately needed fix.
layers of double taxation because some idiot school employees were not responsible to check doors?

You’re simply trying to defend the status quo. HAND

You are expressing your opinion without knowing all the details of what is happening, just on your broad assumptions based on your biases.

Back
Top Bottom