• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘I’ve Had It With This Guy’: G.O.P. Leaders Privately Blasted Trump After Jan. 6

‘I’ve Had It With This Guy’: G.O.P. Leaders Privately Blasted Trump After Jan. 6

In the days after the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol building, the two top Republicans in Congress, Representative Kevin McCarthy and Senator Mitch McConnell, told associates they believed President Trump was responsible for inciting the deadly riot and vowed to drive him from politics.

Mr. McCarthy went so far as to say he would push Mr. Trump to resign immediately: “I’ve had it with this guy,” he told a group of Republican leaders.

But within weeks both men backed off an all-out fight with Mr. Trump because they feared retribution from him and his political movement. Their drive to act faded fast as it became clear it would mean difficult votes that would put them at odds with most of their colleagues.

===================
Today, McCarthy denied he said what the Time published. The only problem is that the Times has an audio tape of McCarthy saying what he denied saying.

The only word that comes to my mind is "Coward." Following Watergate, Barry Goldwater went to Nixon and told him that he should resign or be impeached and removed from office. McCarthy had originally had the right patriotic idea but backed off because he wanted to save his political skin.

No person should put the personal concern for political power and holding political seat, above and over the "Protection of Constitution and Nation" !!!! ... Such person who does so, for pure personal political seat holding, should be "immediately expelled and never allowed to hold any public office in the United States of America".

Last edited:

In the days after the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol building, the two top Republicans in Congress, Representative Kevin McCarthy and Senator Mitch McConnell, told associates they believed President Trump was responsible for inciting the deadly riot and vowed to drive him from politics.

Mr. McCarthy went so far as to say he would push Mr. Trump to resign immediately: “I’ve had it with this guy,” he told a group of Republican leaders.

But within weeks both men backed off an all-out fight with Mr. Trump because they feared retribution from him and his political movement. Their drive to act faded fast as it became clear it would mean difficult votes that would put them at odds with most of their colleagues.

===================
Today, McCarthy denied he said what the Time published. The only problem is that the Times has an audio tape of McCarthy saying what he denied saying.

The only word that comes to my mind is "Coward." Following Watergate, Barry Goldwater went to Nixon and told him that he should resign or be impeached and removed from office. McCarthy had originally had the right patriotic idea but backed off because he wanted to save his political skin.

Mr. Trump is going to be very, very mad about this. I suspect he will spank McCarthy on his next visit to Mar-A-Lago. Then again, McCarthy may like that.

I also giggled that it was the Times who exposed this story, including McCarthy's massive lie about never saying it. Hahahah.

Yeah - odd that the full audio doesn't make it into the articles about the issue.

I've read a bit about it, and the Times came out with a report about GOP leaders having "had it with this guy" - and then McCarthy issued a denial "of the times reporting." Then the media says MCarthy lied because he made some statement on or after January 6, 2021, where he referred to Trump possibly resigning. To know what the deal is here, we have to see the NY Times report (which is paywalled). My experience in these issues is that McCarthy can plausibly deny what the NY times specifically reported, while still having said what he said on January 6.

But, after reading some articles about it - I really don't understand the issue. No Republicans had any qualms about criticizing Trump. There was an entire Never Trump movement in the GOP. Half the Republican establishment openly hated the guy and voted for Joe ****ing Biden.

Whatever.
Seems as if you're a typical Trump Fan Nation supporter. What's significant about it is it shows McCarthy lied.

First you act like you'd never heard it. It's been the number one news story since 7 PM yesterday, next to Ukraine of course. Then when you get that link, you come up with every excuse in the book to defend McCarthy.

I am sorry for the fact that Fox doesn't cover these stories. But you know what they say about Fox; Fox viewers are less informed than those who watch nothing at all.

This is why I don't bother to do your homework for you. You wouldn't believe it anyway.

People who back Republicanism, demonstrate they have lost their sense of principal respect for Constitution and Nation and degraded their sense of integrity, to support the lying, the back sliding, and the power mongering madness of Republican Politicians. They lend themselves to supporting pure barbarism and savagery mentality.

Mr. Trump is going to be very, very mad about this. I suspect he will spank McCarthy on his next visit to Mar-A-Lago. Then again, McCarthy may like that.

I also giggled that it was the Times who exposed this story, including McCarthy's massive lie about never saying it. Hahahah.
Ah yes. The New York Times. The one that Trump promised 5 years ago would be out of business within a month.

Seems as if you're a typical Trump Fan Nation supporter. What's significant about it is it shows McCarthy lied.

First you act like you'd never heard it. It's been the number one news story since 7 PM yesterday, next to Ukraine of course. Then when you get that link, you come up with every excuse in the book to defend McCarthy.

I am sorry for the fact that Fox doesn't cover these stories. But you know what they say about Fox; Fox viewers are less informed than those who watch nothing at all.

This is why I don't bother to do your homework for you. You wouldn't believe it anyway.
I don't know what Trump Fan Nation is. I don't watch Fox. More Democrats watch FoxNews,though, than watch CNN. LOL.

What shows McCarthy lied? Can you quote McCarthy's lie and the statement that shows it is a lie? I can't find two statements juxtaposed. I see articles SAYING he lied, because he "denied the Times' reporting," but denying their reporting is different than denying a specific thing.

I haven't heard it. I don't know why the CNN articles I read about it don't link to the video. I did not get any link. And, I came up with no excuses to defend McCarthy. You act like you can't read. All I said was I couldn't find the audio clip that supposedly shows he lied, and I can't. The lie is supposed to be McCarthy's published denial of "the NY Times reporting." But the Times' reporting is paywalled, and it's not clear what he's denying when he says he denies the Times' reporting.

Your kind of response is just so typical of the Left. The affirmative assertion here is that McCarthy lied when he made his public statement denying the NY Times' reporting. If it's so blatant, it should take anyone 2 seconds to clearly show: "Here is the quote of him lying" and "here is the audio clip saying the opposite..." - yet, that seems to be too much for people who are pushing that argument. If that's your argument, make it. It's not my homework, it's your homework. On a discussion forum, the person making the positive assertion bears the burden of proof. Others are not obliged to go out and find the proof for your argument.

What, exactly, is the "it" you think McCarthy denied ever saying?

I don't know what Trump Fan Nation is. I don't watch Fox. More Democrats watch FoxNews,though, than watch CNN. LOL.

What shows McCarthy lied? Can you quote McCarthy's lie and the statement that shows it is a lie? I can't find two statements juxtaposed. I see articles SAYING he lied, because he "denied the Times' reporting," but denying their reporting is different than denying a specific thing.

I haven't heard it. I don't know why the CNN articles I read about it don't link to the video. I did not get any link. And, I came up with no excuses to defend McCarthy. You act like you can't read. All I said was I couldn't find the audio clip that supposedly shows he lied, and I can't. The lie is supposed to be McCarthy's published denial of "the NY Times reporting." But the Times' reporting is paywalled, and it's not clear what he's denying when he says he denies the Times' reporting.

Your kind of response is just so typical of the Left. The affirmative assertion here is that McCarthy lied when he made his public statement denying the NY Times' reporting. If it's so blatant, it should take anyone 2 seconds to clearly show: "Here is the quote of him lying" and "here is the audio clip saying the opposite..." - yet, that seems to be too much for people who are pushing that argument. If that's your argument, make it. It's not my homework, it's your homework. On a discussion forum, the person making the positive assertion bears the burden of proof. Others are not obliged to go out and find the proof for your argument.

Did you listen to the tape? It doesn't appear you did.

McCarthy is on tape saying he was going to ask Trump to resign. Yesterday he categorically denied ever saying such a thing.

He lied. That's a fact. It isn't anyone's burden to force you to listen to the tape and post a wall of horseshit.

It's already been shown to you. That you don't want to believe it or just can't comprehend it isn't my fault. McCarthy lied and got caught. Plain and simple. The issue has been breaking news for 18 hours. It's everywhere.

Of course they backed off. When there is a mob boss you don't risk your own neck until you're ready to drive a stake through his heart.

NBC played the audio last night. Denying that it exists or not believing it doesn't change its authenticity. If you heard it, would you change your opinion of the spineless McCarthy?

Seems to me that all these liars are just what the base loves. They feed off this shit.
Exactly! It's like Steve Bannon ripping off Trump supporters for millions of dollars, without any backlash from Trump supporters -- they still listen to his broadcasts. Trump then pardoned Bannon when a federal court convicted Bannon for fraud. Let that sink in -- Trump pardoned the guy who ripped off Trump's supporters. You'd think that these supporters would be mad a Trump for pardoning the guy that stole from them, but no. It's a cult and the cultists always stick with the cult leaders. GOP voters will stick with McCarthy, who blatantly got caught in a substantive lie.

I think GOP voters have been conditioned to accept lies and they're now immune from them. They were sold on the lie that tax-cuts yield more tax revenue, when there is no evidence that it does. GOP voters believe that GOP officials are on their side, even though whenever the GOP is in power they cut taxes on the rich, cut safety, worker and environmental protections and try to take away health insurance from millions of Americans.

What, exactly, is the "it" you think McCarthy denied ever saying?

A spokesman for House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is denying that the leader told GOP colleagues he would recommend former President Donald Trump resign if he was impeached over the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, one of many Trump-bashing comments from top Republicans revealed in a forthcoming book.

It's time to move from the 51st state, the state of DENIAL and come to grips that McCarthy lied YESTERDAY about this story and the audio tape is very clear in what he said then and it's very clear that he denied saying what's on the tape YESTERDAY

McCarthy is a snake. He is the text book definition of a slimeball dishonest Politician.

Also....what the hell is wrong with him, that it took 4+ years to "get sick" of Trump? That should have happened well before he was inaugurated.

Trump > the man, the myth, the legend! All the whiners are just losers

Yeah - odd that the full audio doesn't make it into the articles about the issue.

I've read a bit about it, and the Times came out with a report about GOP leaders having "had it with this guy" - and then McCarthy issued a denial "of the times reporting." Then the media says MCarthy lied because he made some statement on or after January 6, 2021, where he referred to Trump possibly resigning. To know what the deal is here, we have to see the NY Times report (which is paywalled). My experience in these issues is that McCarthy can plausibly deny what the NY times specifically reported, while still having said what he said on January 6.

But, after reading some articles about it - I really don't understand the issue. No Republicans had any qualms about criticizing Trump. There was an entire Never Trump movement in the GOP. Half the Republican establishment openly hated the guy and voted for Joe ****ing Biden.

Whatever.
You could have just posted the bolded and saved yourself some keystrokes. You get one point, though, for actually trying to spin this.

Political courage or the lack of is a bi-partisan trait, imo.

It often can be.

But in the realm of total BS and outrageous and obvious lies, there are few equals to the current GOP, and more so the trump wing.

Remember, this is a party that stands for nothing. (unless you could racism, xenophobia and white resentment).

It offered no party platform at all in 2020.

And it’s Senate leader offered no legislative agenda this year.

A party that stand for nothing.

Instead it tries to scare its base with fairy tales about CRT, and fearmongering over transgenders (which the right spends a whole lot more time talking about than anyone else).

And the constant race baiting.

Ah yes. The New York Times. The one that Trump promised 5 years ago would be out of business within a month.
And how many of trumps businesses have failed since then???

I wonder of trump will still be alive when the Times celebrates its 200th anniversary.

Back
Top Bottom