• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Young Viewers Avoid Fox News, Ratings Drop 30%

He gets no pass from me. He was just another statist in my book, playing a different suit. No love for Reagan here. Anyone that raises the deficit is no good. If you can't balance a checkbook, you probably shouldn't be at the helm of the ship.

Us pesky Libertarians...diffusing liberal 'logic' bombs like it's going out of style since '79 (actually, since 1776...classical liberals were libertarians by default)

Nah, it's just that libertarians generally have no idea how economics work.

I like PBS news too. Its not all about politics and sensationalism. It also keeps you informed about the world, and US is really bad about international news coverage.

I've really started watching portions of CNN, and then catching a great deal more PBS News Hour.

If your argument is a flattering picture of Megyn Kelly and an unflattering picture of Robert Downey Jr ... er, Rachel Maddow, then you're not presenting much of an argument.

MSNBC has some hotties on their shows too.
Let's not turn this into another "our side has the nicer tits" argument
. That's REAL constructive.

Our side has ... oh wait ... now I get it ... nevermind.

Not as clueless as Fox News viewers. Did you know watching fox news makes you less informed than people who watch no news at all?
I could live under a rock for 20 years and be more informed than a Fox News viewer.

You propose an interesting experiment ... go for it.

Young viewers think the Daily show is "news". They're also easily fooled. I suppose every generation has said this about the one behind them but I fear for the republic.

It's funny... More liberals will admit to watching the Daily Show and getting information there, than they will to watching MSNBC because they want to appear informed and enlightened, rather than be associated with the programmed partisan nonsense that MSNBC provides... What they don't realize, or maybe don't want others to realize, is when it comes to the Daily Show, Stewart takes political bias, twisted facts and skewed reality to a hyper-partisan level well beyond that of MSNBC and presents it under the guise of "comedy".

The reality is, watching Jon Stewart is worse than watching someone like Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz or Al Sharpton, because unlike them, Stewart isn't held to any journalistic standards what so ever and facts are merely an option... An option that quite often Stewart chooses to omit from his "skits".

The DS isn't news its entertainment using news. It is sometimes funny but mostly sticks to its old formula of clipping quotes and building strawmen that Stewart can then be righteously indignant about. I agree that people talk about watching the daily show the same way they talk about listening to NPR or driving a prius. But on the other hand, I watch it too ... actually I like The Colbert report better. He doesn't think his farts don't stink like Stewart.

It's funny... More liberals will admit to watching the Daily Show and getting information there, than they will to watching MSNBC because they want to appear informed and enlightened, rather than be associated with the programmed partisan nonsense that MSNBC provides... What they don't realize, or maybe don't want others to realize, is when it comes to the Daily Show, Stewart takes political bias, twisted facts and skewed reality to a hyper-partisan level well beyond that of MSNBC and presents it under the guise of "comedy".

The reality is, watching Jon Stewart is worse than watching someone like Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz or Al Sharpton, because unlike them, Stewart isn't held to any journalistic standards what so ever and facts are merely an option... An option that quite often Stewart chooses to omit from his "skits".

But but but...Fox. Same as But but but Bush.

Not as clueless as Fox News viewers. Did you know watching fox news makes you less informed than people who watch no news at all? I could live under a rock for 20 years and be more informed than a Fox News viewer.

The DS isn't news its entertainment using news. It is sometimes funny but mostly sticks to its old formula of clipping quotes and building strawmen that Stewart can then be righteously indignant about. I agree that people talk about watching the daily show the same way they talk about listening to NPR or driving a prius. But on the other hand, I watch it too ... actually I like The Colbert report better. He doesn't think his farts don't stink like Stewart.

There's a difference between watching it for it's humorous aspects, and using it as a basis in which to discern what's happening in DC politics or to gain some political perspective. Unfortunately, far too many young adults and folks on the political left do use it as a source of political news and gain their perspective through it.

I occasionally watch it myself, but purely for a few laughs.

Fox News is tailored to the middle age and older demographic. Most younger people get their news on apps like Flipboard and Google Currents. A lot of people in their 20s and 30s are NPR listeners as well.

As far as the best quality TV News networks, I think PBS Newshour, Al Jazzera English, and Sky News are all miles ahead of Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN.

[/FONT][/COLOR]Video @: Young Viewers Avoid Fox News, Ratings Drop 30% - YouTube

If I was some conservatives here and I was using their logic this comment would play out something like this: This means FOX sucks and it means their news is unreliable and it means that its not the truth and they suck!!!

But in reality it just means that this happens here and now and then and trends happen like this when its not around election time.

Well given the stink over Christie and the behavior of all news agencies historically...I know that all news regardless of the "prestige/reliability," should be taken with a grain of salt. Every single one of them is selling something. Anyone who believes otherwise is delusional and ignorant of why news agencies came into existence.

I am a Conservative. I don't watch Fox. I am a "younger viewer." I don't watch because of the commercials. They have too many. And they are obviously catering to the old guys. And they give air time to the extremes for their "talk shows." Why? Because that sensational **** sells.

But. If I were a liberal I would ignore the bias of the other news networks, claim "faux" is the only network that was guilty of if, and blatantly ignore or ridicule anyone who questioned the the legitimacy of my networks that don't bother to even question the Obama administration, or question why an IRS scandal from the president who "doesn't know" gets less air time than a governor who already fired the people involved in his scandal.

Last edited:
You propose an interesting experiment ... go for it.

It's already been done. People who don't have televisions. People who don't speak English. People who live in bunkers and don't regularly communicate with the outsider. These people are more knowledgeable about world events than Fox News viewers.

They found that someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer 1.04 domestic questions correctly compared to 1.22 for those who watched no news at all.

Read more: STUDY: Watching Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All - Business Insider

It's already been done. People who don't have televisions. People who don't speak English. People who live in bunkers and don't regularly communicate with the outsider. These people are more knowledgeable about world events than Fox News viewers.
That is interesting ... and very difficult to believe since, if they really asked the question about Egypt, the participants were lying about WHAT they watched, or THAT they watched, since every news outlet covered it.

That is interesting ... and very difficult to believe since, if they really asked the question about Egypt, the participants were lying about WHAT they watched, or THAT they watched, since every news outlet covered it.

But if an inaccurate analysis is presented then that is probably where the misinformation comes from.

edit: thinking about Fox News' model some more and it makes complete sense. Fox News focus largely on analysis and talking heads shows. The give the news and then present their conservative bias during the analysis. MSNBC does this as well with liberal bias. Because the stories covered may have no slant or perspective at all, in order to inject either liberal or conservative bias misinformation may have to be included in the analysis. The fact that Fox News viewers are less informed than people who watch no news should be a point of embarrassment but consumers of that channel will just attribute it to "liberal bias" and continue on the merry way.

Last edited:
But if an inaccurate analysis is presented then that is probably where the misinformation comes from.
Not sure what that means ... what if people don't watch Fox but are just saying they do because they think it will make them sound the most informed?

The left has dominated mainstream news for so long that liberals think its not biased - and that anything else *is* biased. Its not really their fault when you consider that reality was defined by the left for so long that they consider it not left but *center* and anything else skewed.

Well given the stink over Christie and the behavior of all news agencies historically...I know that all news regardless of the "prestige/reliability," should be taken with a grain of salt. Every single one of them is selling something. Anyone who believes otherwise is delusional and ignorant of why news agencies came into existence.

I am a Conservative. I don't watch Fox. I am a "younger viewer." I don't watch because of the commercials. They have too many. And they are obviously catering to the old guys. And they give air time to the extremes for their "talk shows." Why? Because that sensational **** sells.

But. If I were a liberal I would ignore the bias of the other news networks, claim "faux" is the only network that was guilty of if, and blatantly ignore or ridicule anyone who questioned the the legitimacy of my networks that don't bother to even question the Obama administration, or question why an IRS scandal from the president who "doesn't know" gets less air time than a governor who already fired the people involved in his scandal.

[/FONT][/COLOR]Video @: Young Viewers Avoid Fox News, Ratings Drop 30% - YouTube

If I was some conservatives here and I was using their logic this comment would play out something like this: This means FOX sucks and it means their news is unreliable and it means that its not the truth and they suck!!!

But in reality it just means that this happens here and now and then and trends happen like this when its not around election time.

The thing here is cable is losing viewers to other Video options quite constantly. Fox viewership fell 5% from 2013, MSNBC fell 21%
Total viewers Daytime Primetime
Fox..............1,760,000..1,100,000
CNN................413,000.....586,000
MSNBC............384,000.....640,000

Fox remains top cable news channel in 2013

Young viewer just aren't attached to cable as we old folks are.

edit: thinking about Fox News' model some more and it makes complete sense. Fox News focus largely on analysis and talking heads shows. The give the news and then present their conservative bias during the analysis. MSNBC does this as well with liberal bias. Because the stories covered may have no slant or perspective at all, in order to inject either liberal or conservative bias misinformation may have to be included in the analysis. The fact that Fox News viewers are less informed than people who watch no news should be a point of embarrassment but consumers of that channel will just attribute it to "liberal bias" and continue on the merry way.
That study still does not have the ring of truth ... it's implausible that regular viewers of FOX or MSNBC or CNN didn't know there was a Government changeover in Egypt but those who don't watch or read anything did.
Simply beyond belief and so I'm reluctant to.

If your argument is a flattering picture of Megyn Kelly and an unflattering picture of Robert Downey Jr ... er, Rachel Maddow, then you're not presenting much of an argument.

MSNBC has some hotties on their shows too. Let's not turn this into another "our side has the nicer tits" argument. That's REAL constructive.

Well I'm gonna watch the channel with the hotter news ladies.

Are you trying to say that if I had posted a more flattering picture of rachel maddow that somehow she would be in the same league as meagan kelly? I don't think so.

Well I'm gonna watch the channel with the hotter news ladies.

Are you trying to say that if I had posted a more flattering picture of rachel maddow that somehow she would be in the same league as meagan kelly? I don't think so.

I really doubt that for the vast majority who tune into Fox for the news do so just to view a hot babe. Those interested in hot babes are usually not the news type. Although they are nice eye candy for this older gentleman.

I really doubt that for the vast majority who tune into Fox for the news do so just to view a hot babe. Those interested in hot babes are usually not the news type. Although they are nice eye candy for this older gentleman.

It's the perception of watching something that's not "liberally biased" and then get to enjoy the eye candy. For some reason Fox News fans cannot stop talking about how hot the female anchors and contributors are. I find that awfully childish, but to each their own.

The vast majority of my broadcast news I get from the NPR app on my phone while out on runs or in my car: On Point, The Friday News Roundup, Marketplace, and To the Point among others. I feel like I am better informed on a wider variety of issues than with anything on TV other than maybe PBS Newshour, or with world news Sky News. I am 37. A lot of people I know in their late 20s and 30s are the same way.

If you like people yelling at each other then Fox News and MSNBC are your best bet. If you like calm, rational, in depth discussion on a wide variety of current events and issues, then you won't find it on those outlets.

It's the perception of watching something that's not "liberally biased" and then get to enjoy the eye candy. For some reason Fox News fans cannot stop talking about how hot the female anchors and contributors are. I find that awfully childish, but to each their own.

If I remember right there was a country song about the Fox News babes. Although I must admit they look better than say Candy Crowley of CNN, that fact does not stop me from watching CNN. I switch back and forth when ever a commercial comes on and then back when the other channel has a commercial. I haven't seen too much difference in the reporting of the news during the day time hours. Although Fox will have many more conservative/republican guests than CNN. It is the night time/prime time where I have discovered a huge difference. But I do not watch political talk shows so they can broadcast whatever they want during prime time..

Back
Top Bottom