• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You are customer 60,001. Please be terribly patient

specklebang

Discount Philosopher
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
How far do they think these things through? In a new burst of love for (illegal) immigrants, my state is going to hook them up with ID and drivers licenses. Sounds really benevolent, doesn't it? But they really should have thought through how they were going to handle this......

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/...fill-nevada-dmv-offices-get-new-driving-cards

...and how PC we are. The term illegal immigrant is gone. Now they are "driving illegally".

But CA always goes us one better....
Calif. grants law license to undocumented immigrant

I've always been a fan of legal immigration and kind of on the mellow side about illegal immigration. But now that it isn't just philosophy, I'm torn about this.

It is apparent that this year, we will embrace all our illegals and probably open the borders wide for more to come. Other than my having to sleep at the DMV for a few months to renew my expiring license, should I care?

Can we just skip the "I hate Obama" fest and discuss your state, what they are doing, how you feel about this and how our country will be impacted, for better or worse.

(I'm down to 59432)

How far do they think these things through? In a new burst of love for (illegal) immigrants, my state is going to hook them up with ID and drivers licenses. Sounds really benevolent, doesn't it? But they really should have thought through how they were going to handle this......

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/...fill-nevada-dmv-offices-get-new-driving-cards

...and how PC we are. The term illegal immigrant is gone. Now they are "driving illegally".

But CA always goes us one better....
Calif. grants law license to undocumented immigrant

I've always been a fan of legal immigration and kind of on the mellow side about illegal immigration. But now that it isn't just philosophy, I'm torn about this.

It is apparent that this year, we will embrace all our illegals and probably open the borders wide for more to come. Other than my having to sleep at the DMV for a few months to renew my expiring license, should I care?

Can we just skip the "I hate Obama" fest and discuss your state, what they are doing, how you feel about this and how our country will be impacted, for better or worse.

(I'm down to 59432)

SB...

Most undocumented resident in Texas are from Mexico. A lot of others are from Central American countries.

Texas legislators will probably leave claw marks before they allow undocumented drivers to get legal license and ID.

Here's my rub with it all:

If other states are like Texas, insurance companies aren't obligated to pay claims for persons who cause or are involved in auto accidents who don't have a legal driver's license. Then that leaves all drivers who don't have Comp screwed if they get hit by a driver who doesn't have a legal license.

The strange thing is that a lot of undocumented people in Texas who drive...have insurance. I'm guessing that unless it's a rider to a Mexican insurance and they have a wreck...yep, their insurance company won't pay.

If a person has their license suspended in Texas...they'll very quickly receive a Cancellation Notice from their insurer.

I think either the law changes and forces all Texas auto insurance companies to not insure undocumented drivers for any reason because they won't pay if they have an accident...or force insurance companies to honor claims made by all premium paying drivers.

In other words, auto insurance companies are collecting premiums from undocumented people who can't get a license...therefore never having to pay claims if they cause an accident. How can an unlicensed person get insurance...if a person whose licensed gets suspended is cancelled? Make sense?

I know it has my head twirling...

SB...

Most undocumented resident in Texas are from Mexico. A lot of others are from Central American countries.

Texas legislators will probably leave claw marks before they allow undocumented drivers to get legal license and ID.

Here's my rub with it all:

If other states are like Texas, insurance companies aren't obligated to pay claims for persons who cause or are involved in auto accidents who don't have a legal driver's license. Then that leaves all drivers who don't have Comp screwed if they get hit by a driver who doesn't have a legal license.

The strange thing is that a lot of undocumented people in Texas who drive...have insurance. I'm guessing that unless it's a rider to a Mexican insurance and they have a wreck...yep, their insurance company won't pay.

If a person has their license suspended in Texas...they'll very quickly receive a Cancellation Notice from their insurer.

I think either the law changes and forces all Texas auto insurance companies to not insure undocumented drivers for any reason because they won't pay if they have an accident...or force insurance companies to honor claims made by all premium paying drivers.

In other words, auto insurance companies are collecting premiums from undocumented people who can't get a license...therefore never having to pay claims if they cause an accident. How can an unlicensed person get insurance...if a person whose licensed gets suspended is cancelled? Make sense?

I know it has my head twirling...

I would think that the insurance covers the car and the driver should not be relevant in terms of obligation to pay. But yes, it's very chaotic and inconsistent and things are getting worse, not better because of the state by state chaos.

I doubt that Arizona is going to start issuing ID's to illegals any time soon but the progressives down here in Pima county don't recognize "illegal".

I doubt that Arizona is going to start issuing ID's to illegals any time soon but the progressives down here in Pima county don't recognize "illegal".

I never thought of NV as "progressive" but what do I know. I think that if NV caved, so will the other states. But I guess we'll see - and very soon.

I would think that the insurance covers the car and the driver should not be relevant in terms of obligation to pay. But yes, it's very chaotic and inconsistent and things are getting worse, not better because of the state by state chaos.

One would think. But obviously it doesn't work like that if a person's license is suspended. Thus the insurance company views this issue in the same light with a person who can't get a license. Usually when a person is suspended they have to get a special insurance for a period of time after their license is restored. But an undocumented person will never get a license under current laws. Well, unless they get a rider on Mexican insurance...then they have some limited rights to file a claim.

But like if you have an older kid living with you (in 20s even)...then no problem in adding them to a family policy. But if that kid moves out for any reason other than school, you have to drop them from the policy. Then when the kid moves out...you have to prove they moved out. SERIOUSLY.

One would think. But obviously it doesn't work like that if a person's license is suspended. Thus the insurance company views this issue in the same light with a person who can't get a license. Usually when a person is suspended they have to get a special insurance for a period of time after their license is restored. But an undocumented person will never get a license under current laws. Well, unless they get a rider on Mexican insurance...then they have some limited rights to file a claim.

But like if you have an older kid living with you (in 20s even)...then no problem in adding them to a family policy. But if that kid moves out for any reason other than school, you have to drop them from the policy. Then when the kid moves out...you have to prove they moved out. SERIOUSLY.

Maybe I've misunderstood but I thought© that if I own a car and I insure that car no matter who is driving that car, it is covered.

So, we are seeing opposite outcomes here. I will try to call my insurer and get clarification.

Maybe I've misunderstood but I thought© that if I own a car and I insure that car no matter who is driving that car, it is covered.

So, we are seeing opposite outcomes here. I will try to call my insurer and get clarification.

Remember different states have different insurance laws. My perspective comes from Texas laws as I understand them.

Well, if you own a car...and it is covered by both Comprehensive and Liability...then anybody driving it who possesses a legal driver's license and has liability insurance works. If another person drives your car with your permission...and they are a legally licensed driver, but they don't have liability of their own, then if they wreck, your Comp will fix the car. Their liability allows their insurance to fix your car.

Texas law requires people who drive in Texas to pay for the accidents they cause. Most drivers do this by buying auto liability insurance. Liability insurance pays to repair or replace the other driver’s car and pays other people’s medical expenses when you are at fault in an accident.

If you buy insurance to meet the state’s financial responsibility law, you must purchase at least the minimum amount. The current minimum liability limits are $30,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident. This basic coverage is called 30/60/25 coverage.

Because of car prices and the high cost of medical care, the minimum amounts might not be enough to pay all of the other driver’s costs if you’re in an accident. Other drivers could sue you to collect the difference. Consider buying more than the basic limits to protect yourself financially.

Liability insurance does not pay to repair or replace your car or to treat your injuries. Consider buying other types of coverage – such as medical payments, collision, and comprehensive – to pay for these expenses.

Proof of Financial Responsibility

When you buy an auto policy, your insurance company will send you a proof-of-insurance card. You must show your current card when you

are asked for it by a police officer
have an accident
register your car or renew its registration
get or renew your driver’s license
have your car inspected.
The penalties for violating the state’s financial responsibility laws are

First offense: fine of $175 to $350
More offenses: fine of $350 to $1,000, suspension of your driver’s license, and impoundment of your automobile
Offense without a driver’s license: $2,000 maximum fine, 180 days in jail, or both
Offense if you cause an accident with serious injuries or death: $4,000 maximum fine, one year in jail, or both.
Know Your Rights

Texas has a Consumer Bill of Rights for auto insurance. Your insurance company must send you a copy with your policy. Read it to understand your rights under Texas law.

Automobile Insurance Made Easy

Remember different states have different insurance laws. My perspective comes from Texas laws as I understand them.

Well, if you own a car...and it is covered by both Comprehensive and Liability...then anybody driving it who possesses a legal driver's license and has liability insurance works. If another person drives your car with your permission...and they are a legally licensed driver, but they don't have liability of their own, then if they wreck, your Comp will fix the car. Their liability allows their insurance to fix your car.

I didn't see the licensed driver requirement and I would still hope this would not exempt the insurance from either liability or collision. After all, if you car is stolen, there might be no license. Or if you lend your car out, who asks for a drivers license? Or if your license expires, and you drive your car anyway? Good questions.

RESOLUTION 2014 - DON'T LEND THE CAR OUT!!!

I didn't see the licensed driver requirement and I would still hope this would not exempt the insurance from either liability or collision. After all, if you car is stolen, there might be no license. Or if you lend your car out, who asks for a drivers license? Or if your license expires, and you drive your car anyway? Good questions.

RESOLUTION 2014 - DON'T LEND THE CAR OUT!!!

SB...you can check out NV insurance laws/rules online and find out if they're similar to Texas'.

But as you can see...in Texas...don't loan out a car to somebody who has no license (suspended or otherwise). And make sure that they have liability. If they don't...then if you have Comp...it'll pay for a wreck somebody else has...less the deductible...BUT, you'll most likely get an increase in premium just as though you hit somebody else. Oh, and most likely if somebody else is driving your car...has a wreck and is at fault, the other folk's insurance company will sue your insurance company for liability reasons.

It's a beautiful world out there, SB. Well, except for insurance laws and the IRS. ;)

SB...you can check out NV insurance laws/rules online and find out if they're similar to Texas'.

But as you can see...in Texas...don't loan out a car to somebody who has no license (suspended or otherwise). And make sure that they have liability. If they don't...then if you have Comp...it'll pay for a wreck somebody else has...less the deductible...BUT, you'll most likely get an increase in premium just as though you hit somebody else. Oh, and most likely if somebody else is driving your car...has a wreck and is at fault, the other folk's insurance company will sue your insurance company for liability reasons.

It's a beautiful world out there, SB. Well, except for insurance laws and the IRS. ;)

Let me ask your opinion. I think I will not be able to renew my license this year because my vision has dropped below the minimum. My plan is to just keep driving until I get caught which may be never since I'm a very law abiding and careful driver and I don't drive much. But lets say I hit somebody - do you think my insurance will refuse to pay because I have no license? Or will they pay but then cancel my insurance?

I understand you are giving an opinion© - not legal advice:)

(I'm down to 59432)

I'm in the same state as you and I'm also disgusted. Can't you renew your license by mail? Mine needs to be renewd in 2015 and I'm going to hate the wait. Maybe I should get in line now? BTW, what number are you? Or was that an exaggeration?

I'm in the same state as you and I'm also disgusted. Can't you renew your license by mail? Mine needs to be renewd in 2015 and I'm going to hate the wait. Maybe I should get in line now? BTW, what number are you? Or was that an exaggeration?

Oh, no, that number was a complete fabrication. My license expires in August this year. I hope I'll get another one, my vision is right on the borderline for daylight driving.

Hopefully, they'll have it sorted out by then but always take a good book with you when you go to DMV.

Back
Top Bottom