• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yet another reason I like Liberals...they make websites fairer

Good quality moderation is of course a key aspect, but a relatively balanced mix of ideologies tends to keep one ideology from rocketing off into full bore madness. Otherwise you get that echo chamber effect I was referring to earlier.

Agreed.

"ideology from rocketing off into full bore madness", ahem, a little late I think. I think that both parties / ideologies have pretty much already done so.

The mix of the population is what makes it work. That, and largely respectful discussion / exchanges.

I have to say that I've learned more from my time here than I would have on my own. That, in and of itself, I think is the greatest tribute to DP. And for this, I have no one else but the denizens and mods here to thank, and I do thank you all.

Agreed.

"ideology from rocketing off into full bore madness", ahem, a little late I think. I think that both parties / ideologies have pretty much already done so.

The mix of the population is what makes it work. That, and largely respectful discussion / exchanges.

I have to say that I've learned more from my time here than I would have on my own. That, in and of itself, I think is the greatest tribute to DP. And for this, I have no one else but the denizens and mods here to thank, and I do thank you all.

I didn't mean to imply that "full-bore madness" couldn't exist here. It's just that those who are unwilling or unable to temper themselves are pointed and laughed at rather than being the standard. I have generally seen a softening of positions from right wing and left wing hacks after they've spent a good year here. The reasons are because they see that "the other side" doesn't eat children or shoot puppies out of cannons anywhere near as frequently as they assumed, and because if they claim that Obama/Bush do fire puppies out of cannons they'll be forced to substantiate such a claim. Having "cite your sources" thrown in your face after every other statement can be a real debbie downer, but knowing that that response is always right around the corner does make one pause before making extraordinary claims.

I didn't mean to imply that "full-bore madness" couldn't exist here. It's just that those who are unwilling or unable to temper themselves are pointed and laughed at rather than being the standard. I have generally seen a softening of positions from right wing and left wing hacks after they've spent a good year here. The reasons are because they see that "the other side" doesn't eat children or shoot puppies out of cannons anywhere near as frequently as they assumed, and because if they claim that Obama/Bush do fire puppies out of cannons they'll be forced to substantiate such a claim. Having "cite your sources" thrown in your face after every other statement can be a real debbie downer, but knowing that that response is always right around the corner does make one pause before making extraordinary claims.

No worries. While some "full-bore madness" does exist here, it's in limited numbers, so it's all good.
I too have come to realize that ' "the other side" doesn't eat children or shoot puppies out of cannons'. :mrgreen:

I once posted a thread on why I genuinely like Liberals philosophically. I would like to add one more.

They tend to make websites more fair in the treatment of disagreements.

An Explanation.

I have been a member of more than a few gun / firearms sites. Even though we are all pretty much on the same page politically, the rules tend to be very draconian and you have ZERO say in any moderator action.

One site I was a member of for over four (4) years [M14 Forum] recently banned me this month because a moderator took a set against me, then gave warning to me twice about silly stuff he did not like. I could tell right off I was being set up. It was easy to see.

At another site [FAL Files] trolls were more the norm than the exception.

Here at Debate Politics I feel it is BECAUSE we have such a diverse membership, that it is much fairer in its treatment of members.

On a gun forum points, thread bans, then points rolling off, and contesting a hit are unheard of. 100% of the ones I have been a member of, give the moderators complete dictorial powers unanswerable to anyone.

I see the one major difference is the Liberal population trying to be fair to all members.

Thank you, Liberals for making this my new internet favorite place to go.

Really??? I got banned from the Democratic Underground for doing nothing more than posting a link about the Forestry Science behind intelligent logging practices in response to a thread that was nothing more than "All logging is evil and all loggers should be arrested and shot." My ony comment was "Some people would disagree with you." and I got a PM from the Admin. stating that DU was a liberal board and that opinions that weren't liberal weren't welcome.

Thank you for crapping in the punchbowl at the party.

i am simply correcting the statement that you think it is liberals that make this site fairer. it isn't
and has nothing to do with liberals at all.

This place does offer a sense of fairness that isn't other places I feel. I have only been poking around here a little since joining and haven't made many friends yet. I was a bit judgmental lately and am sorry bout all that.

I do agree that it is the moderators that make that possible. I also don't agree that it is the quantity of either side of any party lines or anything like that. I have seen other places that had a fair balance of differing opinions but when not checked the "full blown madness" would escalate quickly.

Out of curiosity what do you have to do to get kicked out of a gun forum? I own guns and shoot what I will call regularly but don't do much online regarding that hobby other than manufacturer websites. Texas seems to be a good place to have this hobby and there are plenty of folk to talk to in person about guns and stuff. Are there any good gun forums to join that won't result in what you mention retired?

I have been gigged a couple time on here by by moderators, and they were always correct and fair.

As far as the members go, I'd buy a beer for any one of ya'll. <---------------------(New Englander faking a southeastern Virginia drawl)

On DP I think the credit goes to the moderators and staff that enforce the common sense rules and those common sense rules themselves, don't you?

When you look at it that way...YES!

Pretty much all websites have the same general sets of rules, but it is how they are ENFORCED is what makes the difference.

That is how I interpreted your post. Was I correct?

Really??? I got banned from the Democratic Underground for doing nothing more than posting a link about the Forestry Science behind intelligent logging practices in response to a thread that was nothing more than "All logging is evil and all loggers should be arrested and shot." My ony comment was "Some people would disagree with you." and I got a PM from the Admin. stating that DU was a liberal board and that opinions that weren't liberal weren't welcome.

WOW! :shock:...just WOW!

You give complete credence to Cardinal's post number 9 , where he says it is speaking outside of the usual echo chamber of ideas and thoughts that will get you in major trouble.

i am simply correcting the statement that you think it is liberals that make this site fairer. it isn't
and has nothing to do with liberals at all.

...and in doing so completely diverted the positive tone of the thread.

I know you are 100% correct, but it could have been said more pleasantly.

That is all I am saying.

but that is OK, ludin, most threads go south after about page 5 anyway, so...meh. :shrug:

I was just hoping for the positive tone to last a little longer.

We are good either way.

You educated me by saying the mods all get together for a consensus before "awarding" points to someone. I did not know that. Thank you.

Last edited:
Here is another "Classic Liberal" Law Professor speaking out about the abuses of the Progressive-Fascists who are calling themselves "Liberals" in the Obama-Era:

Video: Liberal Law Professor Warns of Obama Dictatorship; Urges Congress to Act | John Hawkins' Right Wing News

Which just goes to show that naming yourself a "Liberal", and expressing Liberal Values and Actions are completely different things.

Most Posters who call themselves "Liberals" on this forum Act and Speak Like Fascists!

Those who are in word and deed "Classic Liberals", call themselves Libertarians.

-

This was a pretty good thread untill you started your trolling.:2wave:

not at all I post the definition of tolerance all the time. I just never claim to be such.

No, your post was ironic. Just because you post the definition of tolerance, doesn't mean you actually know what it means. But I do appreciate you admitting your intolerance.

No, your post was ironic. Just because you post the definition of tolerance, doesn't mean you actually know what it means. But I do appreciate you admitting your intolerance.

I know what it means that is why we have a definition of the word. to others they like to make up their own definition in order to suit the political philosophy.
I have no problem with being intolerant. this world would be a better place if more people were intolerant and just admitted it.

the fact is that the more tolerant the person claims to be the more intolerant they really are.
more so with other people that disagree with them.

there is nothing wrong with intolerance and believe it or not more people are intolerant than what they believe themselves to be.

the whole so called tolerance thing is a bunch of BS anyway. otherwise people wouldn't try to distort the word like they do.

intolerance doesn't make you a bad person. it makes you a thinking person.

I know what it means that is why we have a definition of the word. to others they like to make up their own definition in order to suit the political philosophy.
I have no problem with being intolerant. this world would be a better place if more people were intolerant and just admitted it.

the fact is that the more tolerant the person claims to be the more intolerant they really are.
more so with other people that disagree with them.

there is nothing wrong with intolerance and believe it or not more people are intolerant than what they believe themselves to be.

the whole so called tolerance thing is a bunch of BS anyway. otherwise people wouldn't try to distort the word like they do.

intolerance doesn't make you a bad person. it makes you a thinking person.

This is black and white thinking.

When you look at it that way...YES!

Pretty much all websites have the same general sets of rules, but it is how they are ENFORCED is what makes the difference.

That is how I interpreted your post. Was I correct?

Very much so. It's not the thing, nor the rules, although they help and are needed, it's the people.

OK, I get it...thank you.

I was only saying how nice the contrast was between here and an completely conservative website, and feel it is the Liberals mixed in that make it so.

One instance where diversity is a good thing.

You made a supposition in the OP of this thread, which stated that you believed that "Liberals" made something better.

I am merely "Debating" that OP position as being false, based on what you are calling "Liberals", are actually forum posters who usually call themselves "Classic Liberals" or some branch of "Libertarians".

Today's Progressive Fascists do NOT support Diversity of Political Opinion in any way or form, they are dogmatic totalitarians when it comes to political viewpoint, and we all know it!

If you want to see what a Completely Progressive-Fascist political forum looks like, go try Hotwire.com, it is pretty miserable... and completely "Debate" free.

But many of those who call themselves Progressives or Liberals on this web site, do NOT seek Debate, they only want to smear, sneer, and jeer.

They also often practice tactics of thread-derailment, personal attacks, stalking particular posters, mis-quoting and mis-representing others statements, reference source smearing, false linkages, and plain old dirty name calling.

Progressive abuse of Moderator authority also a common occurrence.

Conservatives on Debate Forum generally avoid using such tactics.

I contend that your OP is simply wrong, based on two reasons:

1] The Good that comes from those lumped under your term "Liberals", is actually coming Libertarians and Classic Liberals

2] You ignore the Evil that comes from the Progressive Fascists.

In subsequent posts, I'll be happy to bring out examples of such bad behavior, from forum Lefties, with the Names removed, but links to the specific instances to prove my point. I will show how each of the above underhanded tactics can be found by the same group of Far-Lefties over and over and over and over...

There is LOTS of material available to make such a point!

-

I once posted a thread on why I genuinely like Liberals philosophically. I would like to add one more.

They tend to make websites more fair in the treatment of disagreements.

An Explanation.

I have been a member of more than a few gun / firearms sites. Even though we are all pretty much on the same page politically, the rules tend to be very draconian and you have ZERO say in any moderator action.

One site I was a member of for over four (4) years [M14 Forum] recently banned me this month because a moderator took a set against me, then gave warning to me twice about silly stuff he did not like. I could tell right off I was being set up. It was easy to see.

At another site [FAL Files] trolls were more the norm than the exception.

Here at Debate Politics I feel it is BECAUSE we have such a diverse membership, that it is much fairer in its treatment of members.

On a gun forum points, thread bans, then points rolling off, and contesting a hit are unheard of. 100% of the ones I have been a member of, give the moderators complete dictorial powers unanswerable to anyone.

I see the one major difference is the Liberal population trying to be fair to all members.

Thank you, Liberals for making this my new internet favorite place to go.

Go over to democraticunderground.com or dailykos.com and post something conservative. See how long you last.

Here is a classic example of the kind of abuse by the Far-Lefties on this forum that I am talking about:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...itor-he-does-want-destroy-america-w-19-a.html

A conversation on the OP subject was just getting started, but the Far Lefties didn't like the Conversation, so...

Thread Derailment Posts ( Changing thread subject to Ebola, rather than the OP subject of Obama's treasonous actions )

Personal Attack Posts ( making Ebola comments with supposed quotes taken completely out of context to mis-represent what was said on another thread )

Poster Stalking Posts ( chasing a particular poster around and making comments about Ebola everywhere )

Off Topic Posts ( bringing up Ebola again and again, when it has nothing to do with the OP subject )

Ignoring responses to the OP subject, to make comments about the derailment subject.

Then a known Left Oriented Moderator states that the whole thread is no good and locks it.

So, to the OP of THIS thread, is this an example of how "Liberals" help the debate on this forum?

There are Other Forums, with the EXACT same OP thread, which handle the "Debate" much differently!

Obama IS A Muslim, He IS A Traitor, He DOES Want To Destroy America

Note! It is Exactly the same thread OP letter for letter!

Other Forums, without this Forum's "Liberals" manage to have a conservation and debate about the OP subject, this forum did NOT.

-

Last edited:
No, not at all.

your opinion is noted.
not correct but noted.

the fact is people have no clue what the word tolerance means.
that is why we have a dictionary.

in fact most people are highly intolerant but that word is icky. so they try to distort the meaning of tolerance
to suit their view on life.

there is nothing wrong with intolerance. in fact it should be pushed more than what it is.

Actually, those threads are a classic example of some extremist right winger who knows absolutely nothing, posting stupidity, followed up with equally extreme and ignorant right wingers agreeing, while everyone else points out just how idiotic what the OP post was.

yeah that guy has been spamming that same thread all over the forum. surprised he hasn't been gigged for spamming yet.
I don't see how that is liberals ruining the discussion or anything else.

I say that is a failure of an example.

your opinion is noted.
not correct but noted.

the fact is people have no clue what the word tolerance means.
that is why we have a dictionary.

in fact most people are highly intolerant but that word is icky. so they try to distort the meaning of tolerance
to suit their view on life.

there is nothing wrong with intolerance. in fact it should be pushed more than what it is.

Still black and white thinking.

Back
Top Bottom