• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yale Study Shows That White Liberals Are Patronizing in Interactions with Blacks

homersapien

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
From Yale:The researchers found that liberal individuals were less likely to use words that would make them appear highly competent when the person they were addressing was presumed to be black rather than white. No significant differences were seen in the word selection of conservatives based on the presumed race of their partner. “It was kind of an unpleasant surprise to see this subtle but persistent effect,” Dupree says. “Even if it’s ultimately well-intentioned, it could be seen as patronizing.”

Dupree and Fiske suspect that the behavior stems from a liberal person’s desire to connect with other races. One possible reason for the “competence downshift,” as the authors describe it, is that, regardless of race, people tend to downplay their competence when they want to appear likeable and friendly. But it’s also possible that “this is happening because people are using common stereotypes in an effort to get along,” Dupree says.

https://insights.som.yale.edu/insights/white-liberals-present-themselves-as-less-competent-in-interactions-with-african-americans

The soft bigotry of low expectations is the bread and butter of the Left.

Their entire platform is based on the idea that people CAN’T do for themselves and need the government to make life easier for them. And of course, when Conservatives disagree and believe people should be seen as individuals and expected to figure things out as they become adults, that makes them mean ol’ racists or something.

And to think, Liberals think Conservatives are racist

Addressing racism and disenfranchisement via social programs is not "low expectations". You are ignorantly misconstruing social programs as racist to apologize for real racism.

Not surprised at all. White liberals, in my experience, are more racist than conservatives... on average.

And I think they feel guilty about that subconsciously, and they do a false comparisons to a lot of conservatives because conservative do not think or treat people like they do.

It's an anecdotal observation I've had... and seems to be backed up by some research now.

And to think, Liberals think Conservatives are racist[/B]

Not surprised at all. White liberals, in my experience, are more racist than conservatives... on average.

I bet both of you bitch and moan about "people call everything racist, the term doesn't mean anything anymore!"

Hypocrisy.

Addressing racism and disenfranchisement via social programs is not "low expectations". You are ignorantly misconstruing social programs as racist to apologize for real racism.

The study was about social interaction, not social programs.

4d4.jpg

The study was about social interaction, not social programs.

Aren't these your words from the OP, or did you plagiarize them so you don't remember?

Their entire platform is based on the idea that people CAN’T do for themselves and need the government to make life easier for them.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but that looks like social programs to me. So I think it's you.

Your response doesn't seem to have any relation to the study.

The study shows that liberals tend to dumb their speech in the presence of minorities. Even in emails when sending to a person with a generic "black" or "white" name. While conservatives don't.

https://psyarxiv.com/pv2ab/

Your response doesn't seem to have any relation to the study.

Maybe you should read the OP. Try this part, especially:

Their entire platform is based on the idea that people CAN’T do for themselves and need the government to make life easier for them.

Now, when you've mustered a more complete view of the OP, and realize how stupid your objection is, I'm ready for an apology.

Aren't these your words from the OP, or did you plagiarize them so you don't remember?

Maybe I'm an idiot, but that looks like social programs to me. So I think it's you.

Believe it or not it is possible to have more than one talking point in an OP.

Maybe you should read the OP. Try this part, especially:

Now, when you've mustered a more complete view of the OP, and realize how stupid your objection is, I'm ready for an apology.

That is just his commentary and logical projection from the study, not the essence of the study.

I bet both of you bitch and moan about "people call everything racist, the term doesn't mean anything anymore!"

Hypocrisy.

There are certainly people that have seemingly tried their best to make the term racist mean nothing, by calling wolf...

I don't pretend that racism doesn't exist... but we both have huge differing opinions on how much and what the appropriate steps are to fix it. I find your way perpetuates and legitimizes it, because you find find the concept of trying to achieve colorblind society racist. To the government, race should not exist... in my opinion, we should all make an effort to erase the concept from society altogether. Making an effort to does not necessarily mean accomplishing it.... because I don't think it is impossible to completely eliminate racism. The government should treat people based on socio-economic status and not race, it just so happens that if we focus on a solution that impacts people with low socio-economic status, that solution will impact black people proportionally more.

If you find direct instances of racism, we should all address it, but we all address it on a case by case basis.

Last edited:
If you find direct instances of racism, we should all address it, but we all address it on a case by case basis.

By "case by case" you mean "partisan hackery". That's obvious.

And it's ingloriously stupid and racist to characterize social programs as racist.

And it's ingloriously stupid and racist to characterize social programs as racist.

Where the hell do you get that from?

No, case by case basis means, if something racist happened.... you prosecute them with the laws we have. You don't chase ghosts or have a presumption of an either of racism that surrounds us. We fix it by not acknowledging race... and when INDIVIDUALS are guilty of racist acts, we act upon that.

You should consider having that stick removed

The only thing you believe is racist are democrats. You'll excuse anything but them.

No... That is not true... There are racists everywhere, racist republicans and democrats. Though, Democrats in particular and in my opinion, have a much larger following of problematic prejudice policies built into their platform. They continually play racial politics and use it to their advantage for votes. A colorblind world would be a world where democrats lose.... constantly. They would not be able to function without the constant Identity baiting.

And, according to the study, White liberals treat minorities differently.... while conservative whites tend to treat them the same.

I don't think this is entirely black and white... But I think this topic in unbalanced in leftist bias in the general cultural discussion.... criticism is best used in the places where you aren't looking.

Last edited:
No... That is not true... There are racists everywhere, racist republicans and democrats. Though, Democrats in particular and in my opinion, have a much larger following of problematic prejudice policies built into their platform. They continually play racial politics and use it to their advantage for votes. A colorblind world would be a world where democrats lose.... constantly. They would not be able to function without the constant Identity baiting.

And, according to the study, White liberals treat minorities differently.... while conservative whites tend to treat them the same.

I don't think this is entirely black and white... But I think this topic in unbalanced in leftist bias in the general cultural discussion.... criticism is best used in the places where you aren't looking.

We'll see the next Starbucks thread.

OP is banned. I smelled it. I knew what this thread was about. I pointed it out. I was right.

Back
Top Bottom