• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Would you favor an 8% sales tax to pay for national Health care?

Would you favor an 8% sales tax to finance national health care?

• Yes

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters
DeeJayH said:
she is the exception not the rule
and there are PLENTY of government programs already available to her
so moot point
There are many many exceptions, and no, there are few programs that haven't been cut. Too many people think as you do. That such individuals either made bad choices in thier lives or were just asking for it. Then when they actually realize of the realities, exactly as you do, moot the point.
It's just evasion and turning a blind eye to the realities in society, the parts we do not wish to see.

I don't think it matters, because essentially I don't think anyone will argue that a national health care covereage will be bad. The question is where that funding comes from. The problem of deserve or undeserving can only stem from self greed.
If you say you were military today and so on, I'm sure that there are those of you who have run into situation where the DOD has cut veteran benefits and you were left high and dry. For the rest of us non-military, unless we are wealthy enough those benefits are simply inapplicable. It has nothing to do with someone's bad choices in life, it's about what's right and what should be done.

For those of you who see this as unfundable, well there are various programs that can be easily cut, that can support a national health care system. One of the simplist would be to cut rediculous pork barraling and unreasonable fundings towards such programs as automotive promotion.
I don't know other details of such, I simply know that where there is a will there is a way.

National health care is something that is also vital to national security. Think about it, if a terrorist were to infect with maximum lethality the easiest and largest population to infect would be the poor and ignorant who fear to go to the hospital for lack of resources or simply don't know. What happens then? you have a large and possibly uncontainable out break of an infectious agent.

Last edited:
jfuh said:
There are many many exceptions, and no, there are few programs that haven't been cut. Too many people think as you do. That such individuals either made bad choices in thier lives or were just asking for it. Then when they actually realize of the realities, exactly as you do, moot the point.
It's just evasion and turning a blind eye to the realities in society, the parts we do not wish to see.

Well are you saying the 17 year old is the norm? How many baby's born to 17 year olds are the result of rape? And she had the choice to make the best decission for the baby and that would have been adoption.

jfuh said:

I don't think it matters, because essentially I don't think anyone will argue that a national health care covereage will be bad. The question is where that funding comes from. The problem of deserve or undeserving can only stem from self greed.
If you say you were military today and so on, I'm sure that there are those of you who have run into situation where the DOD has cut veteran benefits and you were left high and dry. For the rest of us non-military, unless we are wealthy enough those benefits are simply inapplicable. It has nothing to do with someone's bad choices in life, it's about what's right and what should be done.

For those of you who see this as unfundable, well there are various programs that can be easily cut, that can support a national health care system. One of the simplist would be to cut rediculous pork barraling and unreasonable fundings towards such programs as automotive promotion.
I don't know other details of such, I simply know that where there is a will there is a way.

National health care is something that is also vital to national security. Think about it, if a terrorist were to infect with maximum lethality the easiest and largest population to infect would be the poor and ignorant who fear to go to the hospital for lack of resources or simply don't know. What happens then? you have a large and possibly uncontainable out break of an infectious agent.

national health care is the death nail in a countries economy

Stinger said:
Well are you saying the 17 year old is the norm? How many baby's born to 17 year olds are the result of rape?
No, I'm arguing that there are many outside your so predetermined, norm of why some people are living in poverty. In her case it was clearly not to any extent her fault for her living conditions or her life. So what are you going to do? Stand to one side and turn a blind eye and say well one or two don't constitute reality? This is reality, this is how many people in the most industrialized and wealthiest nation on earth are.

Stinger said:
And she had the choice to make the best decission for the baby and that would have been adoption.
Two questions, know many people that are willing to adopt a child born of a rape victim? Would you be willing to? I know that's not a fair question to ask but then neither is her life.
As for why she didn't give up for adoption simple, no one wanted the girl and then after the birth she claimed attachment to the child she had carried for 9 months as well as her alcoholic mother being sober enough to convince her otherwise, only to fall later into another drunken state.

DeeJayH said:
national health care is the death nail in a countries economy
GB seems to be fine and dandy. I think you've just solidified a nail for your own self implosive stance on this issue through evasion of the actual dabate.

jfuh said:
No, I'm arguing that there are many outside your so predetermined, norm of why some people are living in poverty. In her case it was clearly not to any extent her fault for her living conditions or her life. So what are you going to do? Stand to one side and turn a blind eye and say well one or two don't constitute reality? This is reality, this is how many people in the most industrialized and wealthiest nation on earth are.

I would say that is what family, friends, government programs and charities are for. Plenty of cash for them all already out there. it is abuse to the system by lowlifes that makes funds short
reform the system, dont just throw money at a problem that already has enough funding

DeeJayH said:
I would say that is what family, friends, government programs and charities are for. Plenty of cash for them all already out there.
Poor families themselves are already needy of the funds, everyman/woman for themselves. As for friends, you can not always continue to ask for money from friends when you know it will be nearly impossible to pay them back. Charities are not always going to be around to help, especially with heavy medical bills of limited charity funds.
Government programs, what point of no applicable or not available anymore is difficult to understand?

DeeJayH said:
It is abuse to the system by lowlifes that makes funds short, reform the system, dont just throw money at a problem that already has enough funding
I'm not saying that we should throw money at low lifes or people that abuse the system for lack there of any form of momentum or determination. I agree there needs to be substantial reforms and transformation of the systems in order to properly allocate to ppl who truly need it. Ever file for workers comp though? Not a pleasent expereince at all, and you're exactly right, it's because of people abusing the priviledge.
But avoiding the problems and claiming that the current system works just fine and dandy is not a resolution to anything. In the end it is indeed those who really are needy that get hurt.
National health care has the potential to not only offer more options to patients but also to physicians not to get screwed over by insurance companies unwilling to cover for, which often result in malpractice claims, then resulting in even higher medical costs to cover for the claims.

Unfortunately there are too many idiots on both sides, government employing too many under educated employees (visit any DMV) that result in poor assistance. And then powerful lobbiests fighting on behalf of insurance companies and none fighting on behalf of those truly needing the care.

Back
Top Bottom