• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would Atheistic Academia Be More Accepting Of UFO Spirituality.

UFO stories are generally some mix of lying, madness, and attention seeking. i think that my main problem with them, though, is that there's seldom much humor. i mean, little gray monsters flying disco lighted aluminum plates and coming here to abduct people and dissect cow after cow just isn't that funny. i suppose that the main exception to this rule is Slaughterhouse Five. that is a wonderfully brilliant book, and i would recommend it to anyone.
I use UFO stories to indicate how much or how little someone knows about science.

Those are who are absolutely positive that extraterrestrial aliens have visited Earth demonstrate that they have absolutely no science education whatsoever. They are as ignorant as they come.

Those who think that there may be life on extraterrestrial worlds, but that life has never visited Earth, have had at least a modicum of education in science.

I cannot say I'm a Kurt Vonnegut fan, particularly when it concerns his "unstuck in time" motif in Slaughterhouse Five. I'm not sure who came up with that idea first, Gene Roddenberry or Kurt Vonnegut, because they both came out with the same idea about the same time.

It depends. Would I take them on faith? No. I’d happily spend my life absorbing their knowledge and even if it meant I would not reach their conclusion in my lifetime, I would not mind because I would have lived a good life by my standard. And if they said they would not share their knowledge unless I chose to believe, then i would know that grifting is a universal behavior and treat them accordingly.

If I lived in the 15th century and someone from today went back in time, showed me an iPhone and said it was proof that I must believe in our lord and savior Ryan Reynolds I can only hope I’d walk away.

Umm I never said they would hold back knowledge , in fact my question includes that they would tell in detail every spiritual discovery of the universe they had made and then to offer proof of their vast spiritual knowledge they perform miracles in support , Terminal Cancer cured, Hurricane stopped in their tracks , Covid eradicated , etc,etc,etc,,,,
Would you consider these undeniable life saving miracles offered in support of their claims to be part of " grifting " strategy ?

Given what you say , Why do think the scientific world is willing to spend trillions & trillions of dollars, and entire lifetimes dreaming and hoping of finding alien life ?

i'm not saying that the earth is the only place that life exists in a universe so large that we can't fully imagine the scope of it. i'm saying that the unimaginable distances and the speed of light limitation make it exceptionally unlikely that any intelligent life is coming here to dissect cows or even could do that if they wanted to. if space aliens are actually coming here to dissect cows and to abduct people for no discernible reason, then that to me is one point of evidence for the simulated universe theory. it would mean that there could be a cheat code, too. the good news is that i think i know what it might be!

Konami-code-2.jpg

who's up for a trip to Tralfamadore? i'd go, but i'm afraid of heights.

Umm I never said they would hold back knowledge , in fact my question includes that they would tell in detail every spiritual discovery of the universe they had made and then to offer proof of their vast spiritual knowledge they perform miracles in support , Terminal Cancer cured, Hurricane stopped in their tracks , Covid eradicated , etc,etc,etc,,,,
Would you consider these undeniable life saving miracles offered in support of their claims to be part of " grifting " strategy ?

It depends on their claims, of course. Some examples:

If they did all these amazing things then claimed that the Higgs boson is real, I’d say “ok cool.”

If they did all these things then said “Eatomus is a vassal of Oprah Winfrey” I’d probably tell them I‘m going to have to double check that.

What about you? What if they told you that you must worship Oprah after showing their cure for cancer, because they have learned that she is the God of the Universe? What would you do?

I use UFO stories to indicate how much or how little someone knows about science.

Those are who are absolutely positive that extraterrestrial aliens have visited Earth demonstrate that they have absolutely no science education whatsoever. They are as ignorant as they come.

Those who think that there may be life on extraterrestrial worlds, but that life has never visited Earth, have had at least a modicum of education in science.

I cannot say I'm a Kurt Vonnegut fan, particularly when it concerns his "unstuck in time" motif in Slaughterhouse Five. I'm not sure who came up with that idea first, Gene Roddenberry or Kurt Vonnegut, because they both came out with the same idea about the same time.

for me, it's the way he crafts it. the tone of it, the recurring humor, the tongue in cheek, the absurdity; that kind of thing. i haven't read much Vonnegut yet, but i did enjoy that one.

i'm not saying that the earth is the only place that life exists in a universe so large that we can't fully imagine the scope of it. i'm saying that the unimaginable distances and the speed of light limitation make it exceptionally unlikely that any intelligent life is coming here ...

Given what you say then , why do you think this world's collective scientific community is willing to spend trillions & trillions of dollars and entire lifetimes in hopes & dreams of overcoming " unimaginable distances " and " speed of light limitation " in the hopes of finding any life at all ?
What is behind this insane quest if not the belief that we came overcome " unimaginable distances " & " speed of light limitations " and be successful going out into the universe and finding the alien life ourselves
If it is a reasonable expectation worth spending trillions and trillions of dollars for them why do you count out the rest of the universe as not sharing such a goal ?
Do you believe we are the most superior life forms in the universe and therefore are the only one capable of scouring the universe in search of alien life ?

Would you mind cutting down on the ‘trillions and trillions’ nonsense? Don’t get me wrong but you’re not Carl Sagan, much less Sagan x 1000. At least do a little homework and provide a semi reasonable cost estimate.

It depends on their claims, of course. Some examples:

If they did all these amazing things then claimed that the Higgs boson is real, I’d say “ok cool.”

If they did all these things then said “Eatomus is a vassal of Oprah Winfrey” I’d probably tell them I‘m going to have to double check that.

What about you? What if they told you that you must worship Oprah after showing their cure for cancer, because they have learned that she is the God of the Universe? What would you do?

I don't believe that Alien life forms would claim Oprah as part of their spiritual knowledge of life throughout the universe .

What do you think the scientific collective of this world is hoping to find in the alien life they have spent trillion and trillions of dollars desperately in search of ?

Double check that if you have the nerve ?

It's your money to .

Would you mind cutting down on the ‘trillions and trillions’ nonsense? Don’t get me wrong but you’re not Carl Sagan, much less Sagan x 1000. At least do a little homework and provide a semi reasonable cost estimate.
That's trillions & trillions with the meter running 24/7 .

I don't believe that Alien life forms would claim Oprah as part of their spiritual knowledge of life throughout the universe .

What do you think the scientific collective of this world is hoping to find in the alien life they have spent trillion and trillions of dollars desperately in search of ?

Double check that if you have the nerve ?

It's your money to .

Why are you judging such ultimate intelligence? After all they can cure cancer and stop hurricanes while you’re just a moderately hairy mammal. If they say you must bow to Oprah, who are you to question them? Do you have the nerve?

That's trillions & trillions with the meter running 24/7 .

Then could we at least exaggerate in a meaningful way? Trillions and trillions isn’t even the Trump admin’s deficit increase. It’s nothing. Either go quadrillions or go home.

Why are you judging such ultimate intelligence? After all they can cure cancer and stop hurricanes while you’re just a moderately hairy mammal. If they say you must bow to Oprah, who are you to question them? Do you have the nerve?
You really think the scientific community's collective search for alien life , spending decades & trillions & trillions of dollars is about finding answers concerning Oprah ?

You really think the scientific community's collective search for alien life , spending decades & trillions & trillions of dollars is about finding answers concerning Oprah ?

No, do you?

i am just trying to understand if a powerful UFO intelligence arrives with dep knowledge of the universe whether you will accept their wisdom. Will you?

Given what you say then , why do you think this world's collective scientific community is willing to spend trillions & trillions of dollars and entire lifetimes in hopes & dreams of overcoming " unimaginable distances " and " speed of light limitation " in the hopes of finding any life at all ?
What is behind this insane quest if not the belief that we came overcome " unimaginable distances " & " speed of light limitations " and be successful going out into the universe and finding the alien life ourselves
If it is a reasonable expectation worth spending trillions and trillions of dollars for them why do you count out the rest of the universe as not sharing such a goal ?
Do you believe we are the most superior life forms in the universe and therefore are the only one capable of scouring the universe in search of alien life ?

nope. i think that we might be among the more primitive of advanced life forms. we can't even stop killing each other long enough to make a reasonable effort at getting out of the solar system other than Voyager, and we're potentially screwing up the planet like bacteria in a shake flask of LB.

that being said, i don't see a way that flying saucers can fold the universe in order to escape the fact that the speed of light is a hard limit. perhaps that means i'm not quite as advanced as i like to pretend to be. i just don't see a viable explanation for the crossing of those distances. i do see a lot of crackpots making up bullshit stories about aliens abducting people from highways in spaceships that look like whatever is in the movies at that time, though.

No, do you?

i am just trying to understand if a powerful UFO intelligence arrives with dep knowledge of the universe whether you will accept their wisdom. Will you?

The question I posed is specific to those inhabitants of earth highly educated, & having great reverence for scientific " wisdom " of this world which forms the basis for their rejecting all things spiritual ?
I do not fall into this category.
Can we stick with the question as framed please , or not ?
That the question itself seems to be causing you much frustration would seem to indicates that maybe you may be better off bowing out of the thread now , rather than continue struggling to stay on point.

The question I posed is specific to those inhabitants of earth highly educated, & having great reverence for scientific " wisdom " of this world which forms the basis for their rejecting all things spiritual ?
I do not fall into this category.
Can we stick with the question as framed please , or not ?
That the question itself seems to be causing you much frustration would seem to indicates that maybe you may be better off bowing out of the thread now , rather than continue struggling to stay on point.
Oh it’s caused me no great frustration as was clear from my first response. Yours is a rather softball question for those with great education and reverence for scientific wisdom and I hope the answers bring you the wisdom you seek.

Oh it’s caused me no great frustration as was clear from my first response. Yours is a rather softball question for those with great education and reverence for scientific wisdom and I hope the answers bring you the wisdom you seek.

No right or wrong answer here ,why are you so afraid ?
Just individual opinion if the aliens we have been hoping and wishing to find one day through our great expenditure of life, time & money turn out to have a spiritual belief system and offer as proof of it's power feats that defy all known science and physics of this world what would be the more common response from the great intellectual, but staunchly atheistic minds of academia, to admit there is a spiritual component to the universe or to claim that
these admittedly superior intellectual beings have been duped like so many toothless inhabitants of hard scrabble Virginia?

What has been released by official government surveillance are not your grandfathers UFO's.
And the scientific knowledge & capability we now have to establish certain physical facts about these observed vehicles are not your grandfathers limited scientific capabilities .
The government would not be releasing these videos unless they felt the known science gave them cover from being laughed at .
Science does matter .
You need to upgrade your own scientific understanding out of the 1950's .
A couple of things that have been "identified" for sure about these objects is the fact that1#1 these are the product of an intelligent designer , and #2 these intelligently designed vehicles have a means of propulsion that defy our understood laws of physics .

The propulsion does not defy our understood laws of physics.

It's a high tech drone. Built by humans. Probably operated by the USAF.

Now that UFO life is proven to exist, all that is left is actual face to face contact.
If, or more likely when, contact is made, and obviously superior beings of these UFO's have a Spiritual nature that they were to communicate to us what do you think the majority response of the staunchly rock-ribbed Atheistic scientific community of this world would be to the spirituality presented by these obviously vastly superior beings ?
Can you post a link to this 'proof of life', because I thought what they had was unidentified flying objects, no more, no less, not sure where you are getting "UFO life" from in all of that...

Can you post a link to this 'proof of life', because I thought what they had was unidentified flying objects, no more, no less, not sure where you are getting "UFO life" from in all of that...
You do admit that official sources are inching further and further out on a limb in saying that these astounding filmed objects are not products of nature by any stretch of our present knowledge ?
You seem to be pondering that the holy grail goal of the space program for many decades now , to find life elsewhere , is an impossible fantasy .
Why do you think this multi-trillion dollar pipe dream of finding life elsewhere is is tolerated by society then?
It is either a scientifically plausible venture or an insane quest , correct ?
If it is plausible, why are you and others so objectionable to considering the circumstances of contact being made ?
Is NASA nuts ?

You do admit that official sources are inching further and further out on a limb in saying that these astounding filmed objects are not products of nature by any stretch of our present knowledge ?
You seem to be pondering that the holy grail goal of the space program for many decades now , to find life elsewhere , is an impossible fantasy .
Why do you think this multi-trillion dollar pipe dream of finding life elsewhere is is tolerated by society then?
It is either a scientifically plausible venture or an insane quest , correct ?
If it is plausible, why are you and others so objectionable to considering the circumstances of contact being made ?
Is NASA nuts ?
My post contained a pretty simply request, you made a claim, and I asked for a link to verify your claim... before we disappear down the rabbit hole, how about you answer my simply request?

Those aliens aren't visiting....they're dropping people off. We're the nut ward for the galaxy.

My post contained a pretty simply request, you made a claim, and I asked for a link to verify your claim... before we disappear down the rabbit hole, how about you answer my simply request?

I see, so short of them producing an actual alien ,you don't trust the ever increasing leadings of science ( Harvard) , & government ( Pentagon ) enough in this regard that talking about the possible future ramifications is just to what , controversial , upsetting , scary . for you to even discuss?
Put on your big boy panties for just moment why don't you ?
If none of this merits any discussion, why do you think the United Nations sees fit to include instructions to all nations of how any contact with beings not of this planet are to be managed ?
You consider yourself wiser than the United Nations in this regard ?

If UFO life was proven to exist, all that would be left is actual face to face contact.
When, or more likely if, contact is made, and presumably superior beings of these UFO's have a Atheist nature that they were to communicate to us what do you think the majority response of the staunchly rock-ribbed Spiritualist academic community of this world would be to the atheism presented by these obviously vastly superior beings ?

If UFO life was proven to exist, all that would be left is actual face to face contact.
When, or more likely if, contact is made, and presumably superior beings of these UFO's have a Atheist nature that they were to communicate to us what do you think the majority response of the staunchly rock-ribbed Spiritualist academic community of this world would be to the atheism presented by these obviously vastly superior beings ?
I see . so it is up to me to first answer what you seem to think is the exact reverse of my simple question ?
Apparently not simple enough for you to grasp the fact that in my question I specifically stated the qualification that the Aliens , being far superior in the spiritual realm as well , performed supernatural acts through alien incantations as proof to this world's best and brightest of their Spiritual nature , curing cancer victims , regenerating lame limbs , stopping impending deadly hurricanes in their tracks , eliminating Covid-19,20,21,22.etc,etc,,

In contrast your above question of alien informing me that it does not believe in a spiritual realm, void of any heretofore unknown qualification would leave me completely unimpressed I'm certain .

What is about my question that is so problematic for you in talking about ?
I would genuinely like to know ?

Back
Top Bottom